A Sword - Luke 22:36

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
That is not what is being described here. On the literal basis of this interpretation every christian should always be carrying a sword with them.
apparently naked, no less
lol
Judas wanted a king to overthrow the Romans, except Jesus is the King that in the Kingdom to come overthrows all powers and authority, but not here and now.
here and now, surely?
the kingdom of heaven is within

Last edited:

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... We are His people and follow His example.

GOD's children DO NOT NECESSARILY FOLLOW JESUS' EXAMPLE. They FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS, because THINGS can CHANGE, exactly as Lke 22:35-36 demonstrates.

You and @amadeus just don't like what Jesus said, and you both find excuses. It's not SALVATION DEPENDENT, -- it's simply what BEST for YOU. But if you insist that you have a better way, then GO. Nothing is stopping you.

Plus a favorite verse as also cited by @VictoryinJesus:

1 Chronicles 21:13-17 And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let me fall now into the hand of the Lord ; for very great are his mercies: but let me not fall into the hand of man.

And I like vanilla pudding as a "taste" test ...
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
GOD's children DO NOT NECESSARILY FOLLOW JESUS' EXAMPLE. They FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS, because THINGS can CHANGE, exactly as Lke 22:35-36 demonstrates.

You and @amadeus just don't like what Jesus said, and you both find excuses. It's not SALVATION DEPENDENT, -- it's simply what BEST for YOU. But if you insist that you have a better way, then GO. Nothing is stopping you.

Plus a favorite verse as also cited by @VictoryinJesus:

1 Chronicles 21:13-17 And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let me fall now into the hand of the Lord ; for very great are his mercies: but let me not fall into the hand of man.

And I like vanilla pudding as a "taste" test ...
Bobby Jo

"just don't like what Jesus said"

You sound like the bit coin saleman. I say I am not interested in bit coins, will never invest in them and know their 100% speculative nature. And their response is "but", which is just absurd. Stating what one believes does not make it true or something someone else will agree with.

Once you separate the meaning of words from the interpretation of the words and phrases, there is no changing a point a view, because it is not founded on the meaning of the words, but on ones interpretation alone.

There are many videos about why conspiracy theories are so appealing. I have learnt if you want to know the truth about something, go and listen to the enemy of whoever is speaking. Only with the two polarised views can the arguments be given a true background.

I do not agree with the interpretation of defending ourselves with lethal force.
I do agree with civil government defending the community with lethal force. This takes out the individual involvement and puts obligation for justice and truth to the fore. It is the difference between being a pacifist and believing in just violence, while avoiding violence on an individual scale. It is no surprise that those who hold to survivalist idiology are also often into group survival of one group against another based on group identity whether nationality, or heritage or culture. And even more ironic I become the target of their anger and desire to destroy me. Which is useful to be on the internet, many miles from such antagonism.

So I could say x do not like what Jesus said, but that is pointless. Either you listen to Jesus from the heart or the rest is pointless. God bless you

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have never owned a rifle or a handgun. I spent three years in the US Army during which time I was not a conscientious objector (C.O.). I went through basic training and learned to fire an M-14 rifle receiving a qualifying medal and later they showed me how to operate an M-60 machine gun for defense of our radio station in Viet Nam. But... It was never necessary for me to shoot a man and I wouldn't want to... I'll pick up a rifle again if and and when God tells me to do so.

You insist apparently that the literal written words in scripture must be obeyed, whereas I choose rather as one of His sheep to hear and obey His voice [see John 10:3-4] . If God told you to get a gun and keep it handy, who am I to say nay? That is between you and God. I talk to God daily and am always listening carefully to His direction for it is not in man that walks to direct himself [see Jerem 10:23]. I must listen and obey God, the Director. For me to do otherwise because you or some other man says so could get me in a whole lot of trouble with God.

As you say, THINGS can CHANGE, insomuch that what is good for the goose according to God in one instance may Not be good for the gander in a seemingly identical situation. God inspired Paul to write against being unequally yoked, but Hosea received a different message from God.

I need to listen to and obey what God is saying to me now...not what He has apparently said to you. He is the Director, not you and not me, not even of ourselves... or at least, we should not be!

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... I need to listen to and obey what God is saying to me now ...

The parents left a note on the kitchen table instructing the child that he can watch cartoons for 30 mins, and then must do his homework.

When the parents came home and the child is watching cartoons, they confirmed that his homework was DONE,-- and he said: I was waiting to Obey you when you told me in person.

And so many christians are such children.
Bobby Jo

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The parents left a note on the kitchen table instructing the child that he can watch cartoons for 30 mins, and then must do his homework.

When the parents came home and the child is watching cartoons, they confirmed that his homework was DONE,-- and he said: I was waiting to Obey you when you told me in person.

And so many christians are such children.
Bobby Jo
Do you doubt that God is talking to me now?

Well, I won't deny my testimony. We'll leave that there and give God the glory!

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you doubt that God is talking to me now? ...
Is HE telling you something different than the note on the Kitchen Table? And if not, -- are you're waiting for HIM to CONFIRM the note left on the table?

And PLEASE don't tell me that you're WAITING TO HEAR BEFORE YOU ACT. -- HE's already SPOKEN, so unless HE's given you updated guidance, (and this is NOT about "your emotional FEELINGS") then perhaps you should OBEY???

Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To All,

One of the problems with our intellect, is that we often get FOCUSED on one aspect, and have trouble incorporating the BIG PICTURE, and this "Topic" is a PERFECT EXAMPLE.

So many christians are brainwashed into thinking "Jesus Will Provide For Us", when HE CLEARLY instructs us to provide for ourselves, -- using our PURSE to fill our BAG, and to make sure we have a SWORD. And where these christians are TRIGGERED by ANY SEMBLANCE OF SELF DEFENSE, they actually go so far as to associate SELF DEFENSE with DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. But why stop there, how about accusing them of ANARCHISTS, MURDERS, and ASSASSINS. And personally, I think the word TERRORIST would sum up their characterization, -- NOT OF THE HOME INTRUDER (GOD forbid calling a criminal a CRIMINAL) --, but of the FAMILY MEMBER trying to PROTECT HIS/HER FAMILY.

But to divert from this DISTORTED VIEW, let me share a product I didn't know existed until minutes ago, which EACH OF US might consider for our BAG:

Nestle NIDO.jpeg

I'd considered all kinds of Non-Fat Powdered Milk, and cans of Evaporated Milk, but have now discovered this POWDERED WHOLE MILK, which apparently has a shelf life of 1 to 2 years. It has EXCELLENT reviews. and a 3.52lb can makes a Gallon and a Half of milk for some $16; and SAMS CLUB offers a 4.85lb can which makes 2 Gallons for some $17.50.

And if others like milk as much as I do, then it should be an excellent addition to your Apocalypse Pantry, -- along with a couple dozen (or couple HUNDRED) cans of Keystone Canned Beef:

28oz Keystone Beef.jpeg

... or so you might consider, if you can still find it in stock for an affordable price of approx. $7-$8 at Wally World, -- AND NOT $14 -$20 on Amazon!

Butter before bullets ...
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is HE telling you something different than the note on the Kitchen Table? And if not, -- are you're waiting for HIM to CONFIRM the note left on the table?

And PLEASE don't tell me that you're WAITING TO HEAR BEFORE YOU ACT. -- HE's already SPOKEN, so unless HE's given you updated guidance, (and this is NOT about "your emotional FEELINGS") then perhaps you should OBEY???

Bobby Jo
You still don't understand at all. So then stand by your solution! He is here all of the time!

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You still don't understand at all. ...

Isn't it interesting that christians dodge, weave, and duck WHY THEY DON"T OBEY JESUS. They assert that HE hasn't provided any INSTRUCTIONS; then they DENY the INSTRUCTIONS are for THEM; and then they assert some cryptic NONSENSE.

Oh well, -- to each his own ...
Bobby Jo