Abiding In Christ Necessary for Eternal Life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some acknowledge that it is possible for a believer to fail to remain in Christ, but they want to deny it is an issue on which eternal life hinges.

You are commanded to remain in Him to continue being supplied with His Spirit;
we only remain in Him by obeying His commands (1 Jn 3:23,24).

If we say we think we are going to be saved while disobeying, and not receiving the eternal life, that's not sound doctrine, is it?

1 John 2
28And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming.

1 John 3
23This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.
24The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.
We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

1 John 5
21Little children, keep yourselves from idols.

So, what makes the little children not abide in Christ? Idolatry. Sin. There are two different forms of the idolatry--not remaining in faith in the Son (eg, as the Galatians, who went after "another Gospel", and "deserted Him Who calls you in the grace of Christ" (Gal 1:6)), and the other would be the "idolatry" of failing to love others (ie, by not walking in faith, whereby God's righteousness is revealed (Ro 1:5,16,17), leading to "condemnation" (Ro 14:23)).

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is the Holy Spirit who helps to abide in Him.

To abide in him =
To make one's home in him;
To be at home; comfortable, safe and secure.
To breathe him in.
To feed on him.
To cling to him and wait on him.
To lie down, sit, relax and sleep in a safe place.
To adjust to him, agree with him, choose his ways

• Love
Reactions: rwb and Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Without being Born Again.... we wouldn’t know how to abide in him.

It’s the Holy Spirit who teaches us and shows us how to abide in him.

I have only just been shown by God, through the Spirit, how to abide in him and it’s not by my works....it’s by the Holy Spirit....,I can’t do a thing without him......he has brought me to a place of full surrender.

I can’t go my way anymore.....he’s worked a miracle in me....it’s HIS way all the way!!!

Hallelujah....and keep me on your path Lord.....no more do I ever want to stray.....

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Without being Born Again.... we wouldn’t know how to abide in him.

It’s the Holy Spirit who teaches us and shows us how to abide in him.

I have only just been shown by God, through the Spirit, how to abide in him and it’s not by my works....it’s by the Holy Spirit....,I can’t do a thing without him......he has brought me to a place of full surrender.

I can’t go my way anymore.....he’s worked a miracle in me....it’s HIS way all the way!!!

Hallelujah....and keep me on your path Lord.....no more do I ever want to stray.....
God once 'said' to me, 'Just be and let me.'

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Amen!!.....we just rest in Him Sis....I just say....over to you Lord.

I used to tell him how the day was going to be, so funny.....LOL.....God is most definitely in control.

Another lesson he taught me...you can never rush God and everything is in his timing and his timing is PERFECT.

Reactions: Pearl

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are commanded to remain in Him to continue being supplied with His Spirit;
we only remain in Him by obeying His commands (1 Jn 3:23,24).
If I may say, this is works again....anyway I’m done....I hope the discussion goes God’s way...and if it’s God’s will it won’t get shut down.....

Look to God and only he.....don’t look to self.....

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Amen!!.....we just rest in Him Sis....I just say....over to you Lord.

I used to tell him how the day was going to be, so funny.....LOL.....God is most definitely in control.

Another lesson he taught me...you can never rush God and everything is in his timing and his timing is PERFECT.
It's so lovely to talk about him with others that love him.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's so lovely to talk about him with others that love him.
Amen!!....God led me to another Born Again, our paths crossed, and we’ve been fellowship ever since...it’s a joy when another Loves God....we love being in the word together.

My path crossed with another Born Again...she belongs to a church and was evangelising, ..long story short...she invited me to her church, loved it there, felt like home, again we just hit it off and are meeting for coffee, plus I will be going back to that church again on Sunday.

How good is our God...,Praise His Holy Name!!

Reactions: marks and Pearl

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the Holy Spirit who helps to abide in Him.

To abide in him =
To make one's home in him;
To be at home; comfortable, safe and secure.
To breathe him in.
To feed on him.
To cling to him and wait on him.
To lie down, sit, relax and sleep in a safe place.
To adjust to him, agree with him, choose his ways
The Scriptures I provided say "abiding" is by "obeying", and that when we abide we are supplied with the eternal life that is only in God's Son (1 Jn 3:23,24).

1 John 2
28And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming.

1John 3
23This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.
24The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.
We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

1 John 5
21Little children, keep yourselves from idols.

So, what makes the little children not abide in Christ? Idolatry. Sin. There are two different forms of the idolatry--not remaining in faith in the Son (eg, as the Galatians, who went after "another Gospel", and "deserted Him Who calls you in the grace of Christ" (Gal 1:6)), and the other would be the "idolatry" of failing to love others (ie, by not walking in faith, whereby God's righteousness is revealed (Ro 1:5,16,17), leading to "condemnation" (Ro 14:23)).

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: mailmandan

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I may say, this is works again....anyway I’m done....I hope the discussion goes God’s way...and if it’s God’s will it won’t get shut down.....

Look to God and only he.....don’t look to self.....
The Scripture won't change just because someone complains that they think it is "works"; the Scripture stands there, unmoved, saying the same as it has always said: you abide by obeying, and you're supplied with the Spirit if you abide, and you're not supplied with the Spirit if you don't abide because of idolatry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zao is life

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
AMEN!!!!?

2 Corinthians 3:18
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

New Living Translation
So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.

English Standard Version
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

Berean Standard Bible
And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into His image with intensifying glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Berean Literal Bible
And we all having been unveiled in face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image, from glory to glory, even as from the Lord, the Spirit.

King James Bible
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, evenas by the Spirit of the Lord.

New King James Version
But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Unveiled face!!!

Hallelujah GIFs | GIFDB.com

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

1 Corinthians 1

1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,
2 To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:
3 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thanksgiving​

4 I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. 5 For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge— 6 God thus confirming our testimony about Christ among you.7 Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. 8 He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God is faithful, who has called youinto fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

A Church Divided Over Leaders​

10 I appeal to you, brothers and sisters,[a] in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas[b]”; still another, “I follow Christ.”
13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize,but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom​

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”[c]
20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.
26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 2:14
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

New Living Translation
But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can’t understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means.

English Standard Version
The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Berean Standard Bible
The natural man does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God. For they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Berean Literal Bible
But the natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he is not able to understand them, because spiritually they are discerned.

King James Bible
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
Please do not flood my thread with non-responsive posts trying to suppress my expression.

I don't mind if you are actually responding to me--that I can deal with--but you're suppressing the discussion by just flooding the discussion with non-responsive responses.

If you wish to express all of those things, and not even interact with the points in the OP, then just make your own thread.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

1 Corinthians 3:6-9

6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Please do not flood my thread with non-responsive posts trying to suppress my expression.

I don't mind if you are actually responding to me--that I can deal with--but you're suppressing the discussion by just flooding the discussion with non-responsive responses.

If you wish to express all of those things, and not even interact with the points in the OP, then just make your own thread.
Ok, I will delete my post...I only deleted one as the others are related to salvation.

Reactions: GracePeace

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just want to clarify that, yes, part of "obeying" is believing in the Name of God's Son, believing that we have forgiveness--that much is certain, since, for instance, just as with Cornelius, the Galatians were said to have received the Spirit upon hearing with faith (since the Spirit was supplied to them, obviously, they had to have been "abiding in Christ" (1 Jn 3:24), which means they had "obeyed" in their hearing with faith (1 Jn 3:23)) (Gal 3:1-3)--that should be obvious, since the first part of the Command (which, if obeyed, qualifies one as "abiding") is "believe in the Name of God's Son".

All I am saying is that what I read is that there is another part of the command (which, if obeyed, qualifies one as "abiding"): "love one another".

"Love one another" is variously termed "walk by the Spirit", or "walk by faith", since "God's righteousness is revealed from faith to faith" (Ro 1:5,16,17), and the believer who does what he doubts, instead of doing what he believes is correct, is "condemned" for "sin" (Ro 14:5, 23), whereas those "in Christ" enjoy "no condemnation" (Ro 8:1), so, obviously, disobeying "the second table of the Law of Faith" (ie, by not walking by faith--since "faith works by love" (Gal 5)) does affect one's "abiding", just as the Scripture teaches.

I understand it's much easier to just accept what ever you're told by your pastors, but if I am to believe Scripture, I cannot unsee what it teaches. That doesn't mean I believe I'm a perfect Christian who has it all together, but I'm not going to lie to myself and wave Scripture away because there's an easier way. I'm going to pray through this and CONFORM to what Scripture teaches.

• Sad
Reactions: mailmandan

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not understanding how God supplies the Spirit?

How does God “supply” his Spirit to a Born Again?..that’s not biblical.

And this is all relevant to your OP...as without being Born of God....one is reading scripture in their own strength.

There is no power in anyone..without the Holy Spirit?

I am also not suppressing your opinion....I am voicing mine.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, I will delete my post...I only deleted one as the others are related to salvation.
All I'm asking is what is reasonable: if you're posting in my thread, then, please, be reasonable, and interact with the specific points I'm making--otherwise, you are just making your own off-topic expressions (including flooding my thread with various verses of Scripture you think may be relevant, but without quoting any point I've made, interacting specifically, explaining why you believe what I've said is either true or untrue), and you would be reasonable and orderly if you would just go and make your own thread rather than derailing someone's thread.

Reactions: Zao is life

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not understanding how God supplies the Spirit?

How does God “supply” his Spirit to a Born Again?..that’s not biblical.

And this is all relevant to your OP...as without being Born of God....one is reading scripture in their own strength.

There is no power in anyone..without the Holy Spirit?
God supplies His Spirit to those who abide in Christ by obeying the Command: 1) believe in the Name of God's Son, and 2) love one another (1 Jn 3:23,24)--some do not abide (1 Jn 2:28), because they are led away by idolatry (1 Jn 5:21).

I've explained this over and over--clearly, you have not been reading, you've just been flooding the thread without being thoughtful and considerate to the person who authored the thread you're responding to.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
All I'm asking is what is reasonable: if you're posting in my thread, then, please, be reasonable, and interact with the specific points I'm making--otherwise, you are just making your own off-topic expressions (including flooding my thread with various verses of Scripture you think may be relevant, but without quoting any point I've made, interacting specifically, explaining why you believe what I've said is either true or untrue), and you would be reasonable and orderly if you would just go and make your own thread rather than derailing someone's thread.
We voice as the Holy Spirit leads us to voice and will continue to do so.

I have also posted God’s word, which you have not addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.