Abiding In Christ Necessary for Eternal Life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ephesians 2:8–9 affirms this: “By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.”

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No ones work will get them saved?

What is works based salvation mean to you?
To me, your issue with works is just a misunderstanding of Paul.

Paul says we're not saved by works, but, afterward, commands Christians to walk in righteousness.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 2:8–9 affirms this: “By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.”
Yup, "have been saved", and the Scripture also says we're "being saved" and that we "will be saved"--all three tenses are in Scripture. I don't believe just one snippet, I believe all of it.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No ones work will get them saved?

What is works based salvation mean to you?
Yes, we are saved by grace through faith, but, also, Romans 2:6-16 teaches that only those who do good will be repaid with eternal life at the eschatological judgment.

So, you want to believe ONE of those ideas, but you want to reject the other.
That's the difference between us: I want to believe it ALL, but you want me to believe just ONE little snippet of Scripture.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@GracePeace said this...no worries.

I don't deny salvation by grace through faith--it is yourself rather who does not understand what salvation even is.

God says...
We must be Born Again then we are saved...that is a supernatural act that only God can do.

Please explain in your own words , what salvation is?

All our opinions.

You must be Born Again to be led through scripture by the Holy Spirit.

It’s not about “ YOU” leading yourself through scripture and making it your own word....that is working for your salvation.

Reactions: mailmandan

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yup, "have been saved", and the Scripture also says we're "being saved" and that we "will be saved"--all three tenses are in Scripture. I don't believe just one snippet, I believe all of it.
We are Born Again...not being saved...we are saved as soon as we have been birthed in the Spirit....so, how would we know we are Born Again?

It’s imperative that we are Born Again....otherwise we are leading ourself through scripture....that is the carnal man who does that...because they aren’t Born of God..

I now believe I am being led to now leave your thread....God Bless and I hope and pray that you find God’s truth....he wants you to know his truth....all in God’s timing.

Remember...always Praise God in every situation..even through arguments we learn, if we are listening.

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't deny salvation by grace through faith--it is yourself rather who does not understand what salvation even is.

We must be Born Again then we are saved...that is a supernatural act that only God can do.

All our opinions.

It’s not about “ YOU” leading yourself through scripture and making it your own word....that is working for your salvation.
Salvation is not just one thing, it is multi-dimensional, since humans are multi-dimensional.

"Salvation" is Christ paying the glory-debt we owe God.
"Salvation" is from slavery to sin, partly by destroying the body of Sin (Ro 6:6,14, 7:5, 25).
"Salvation" is from God's current wrath--"the wages of sin is death".
"Salvation" is from God's coming wrath upon sinners.
"Salvation" is from from satan's power of darkness into Christ's Light.
"Salvation" unifies us with Christ ("in Christ").

I'm sure there are some aspects I've missed, but what it is not is something that is "fixed" or "unlosable".

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are Born Again...not being saved...we are saved as soon as we have been birthed in the Spirit....so, how would we know we are Born Again?
1 Corinthians 15
2and by which [Gospel] you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It’s imperative that we are Born Again....otherwise we are leading ourself through scripture....that is the carnal man who does that...because they aren’t Born of God..

I now believe I am being led to now leave your thread....God Bless and I hope and pray that you find God’s truth....he wants you to know his truth....all in God’s timing.

Remember...always Praise God in every situation..even through arguments we learn, if we are listening.
I'll have to catch up with you later--I'm in the States, and it is 1am here.

Reactions: Ritajanice

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, we are born again, and yet "what we shall be has not yet appeared". We are in a process.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Salvation is not just one thing, it is multi-dimensional, since humans are multi-dimensional.

"Salvation" is Christ paying the glory-debt we owe God.
"Salvation" is from slavery to sin, partly by destroying the body of Sin (Ro 6:6,14, 7:5, 25).
"Salvation" is from God's current wrath--"the wages of sin is death".
"Salvation" is from God's coming wrath upon sinners.
"Salvation" is from from satan's power of darkness into Christ's Light.
"Salvation" unifies us with Christ ("in Christ").

I'm sure there are some aspects I've missed, but what it is not is something that is "fixed" or "unlosable".
Just one more word lol.

Salvation comes from God...that’s when one becomes Born Again,through God’s Spirit.

That is the only way one can be saved for all eternity.....Praise God.

One Baptism...that only the Holy Spirit can do...that’s it!!..nothing complicated whatsoever...in becoming Born Again by the Living word of God.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, we are born again, and yet "what we shall be has not yet appeared". We are in a process.

John 3:3-16 KJV​

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Scriptures I provided say "abiding" is by "obeying", and that when we abide we are supplied with the eternal life that is only in God's Son (1 Jn 3:23,24).
I didn't say it wasn't. My post explains what 'abiding' means.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God supplies His Spirit to those who abide in Christ by obeying the Command: 1
God freely gives His Spirit to those who by His grace are spiritually re-born. It is a free gift. We do not have to earn it or pay for it. He - the Holy Spirit - is given to us to help us live the life God want us to live.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I may say, this is works again....anyway I’m done....I hope the discussion goes God’s way...and if it’s God’s will it won’t get shut down.....

Look to God and only he.....don’t look to self.....
"Abide in Him" and "keep His commands" typically gets turned into salvation by works at the back door by works-salvationists through their eisegesis. The Greek word for "abide" is "meno" and simply means to remain, not to depart, to continue to be present.

This is not something that only super saints do but all genuine born-again Christians. 1 John 4:13 - By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit... 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.

The Greek word for "keep" as in keep His commands is "tereo" which simply means guard, observe, watch over. 1 John 2:3 - By this we know that we have come to know Him, (already know Him/already saved/demonstrative evidence) if we "keep" (Greek word "tereo" - guard, observe, watch over) His commandments. *This is descriptive of genuine believers. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep (guard, observe, watch over) His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. *This is descriptive of unbelievers.

It does not mean flawlessly obey God 100% of the time and earn eternal life based on the merits of our works. That is a big fail for all of us. (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8-10)

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"Abide in Him" and "keep His commands" typically gets turned into salvation by works at the back door by works-salvationists through their eisegesis. The Greek word for "abide" is "meno" and simply means to remain, not to depart, to continue to be present.

This is not something that only super saints do but all genuine born-again Christians. 1 John 4:13 - By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit... 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.

The Greek word for "keep" as in keep His commands is "tereo" which simply means guard, observe, watch over. 1 John 2:3 - By this we know that we have come to know Him, (already know Him/already saved/demonstrative evidence) if we "keep" (Greek word "tereo" - guard, observe, watch over) His commandments. *This is descriptive of genuine believers. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep (guard, observe, watch over) His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. *This is descriptive of unbelievers.

It does not mean flawlessly obey God 100% of the time and earn eternal life based on the merits of our works. That is a big fail for all of us. (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8-10)
I agree 100% Praise God we are in his truth....Amen!!

• Love
Reactions: mailmandan

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God says...

All our opinions.

It's called EISEGESIS - the interpretation of a text (as of the Bible) by reading into it one's own ideas.

Works-salvationists (especially Roman Catholics) typically confuse the 3 tenses of salvation and the end result is salvation by works at the back door. The 3 tenses of salvation are:

1. We have been saved from the PENATLY of sin (justification)
2. We are being saved from the POWER of sin (ongoing sanctification)
3. We will be saved from the PRESENCE of sin (glorification)

Status
Not open for further replies.