Abiding In Christ Necessary for Eternal Life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's called EISEGESIS - the interpretation of a text (as of the Bible) by reading into it one's own ideas.

Works-salvationists (especially Roman Catholics) typically confuse the 3 tenses of salvation and the end result is salvation by works at the back door. The 3 tenses of salvation are:

1. We have been saved from the PENATLY of sin (justification)
2. We are being saved from the POWER of sin (ongoing sanctification)
3. We will be saved from the PRESENCE of sin (glorification)
Thank you for posting the Living word of God...Always speaks to my spirit....Praise God, Brother....Always, only he is Worthy of our Praise!!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Abide in Him" and "keep His commands" typically gets turned into salvation by works at the back door by works-salvationists through their eisegesis. The Greek word for "abide" is "meno" and simply means to remain, not to depart, to continue to be present.

This is not something that only super saints do but all genuine born-again Christians. 1 John 4:13 - By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit... 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.

The Greek word for "keep" as in keep His commands is "tereo" which simply means guard, observe, watch over. 1 John 2:3 - By this we know that we have come to know Him, (already know Him/already saved/demonstrative evidence) if we "keep" (Greek word "tereo" - guard, observe, watch over) His commandments. *This is descriptive of genuine believers. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep (guard, observe, watch over) His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. *This is descriptive of unbelievers.

It does not mean flawlessly obey God 100% of the time and earn eternal life based on the merits of our works. That is a big fail for all of us. (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8-10)
Well said, great break down of the truth

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's called EISEGESIS - the interpretation of a text (as of the Bible) by reading into it one's own ideas.

Works-salvationists (especially Roman Catholics) typically confuse the 3 tenses of salvation and the end result is salvation by works at the back door. The 3 tenses of salvation are:

1. We have been saved from the PENATLY of sin (justification)
2. We are being saved from the POWER of sin (ongoing sanctification)
3. We will be saved from the PRESENCE of sin (glorification)
The issue is you seem to believe (tell me if I'm mistaken) that justification happens only once, at the outset of the Christian walk, whereas Scripture teaches God doesn't just judge once, but continually judges your standing--eg, the believer who doesn't do what he believes is correct is guilty of "sin" and is "condemned" (his "justification" is compromised) (Ro 1:5,16,17, 14:5,23)--whereas the one abiding in Christ has "no condemnation" (Ro 8:1)--and, at the eschatological judgment, men will need to be "justified" (Ro 2:6-16).

So, yes, "justification" happens at the outset, upon hearing with faith, but I also recognize it occurs at other times as well.

This is why James 2 says Abraham was "justified by works [of faith]"--justification is ongoing because God's assessment of our lives is ongoing.

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God freely gives His Spirit to those who by His grace are spiritually re-born. It is a free gift. We do not have to earn it or pay for it. He - the Holy Spirit - is given to us to help us live the life God want us to live.
According to 1 Jn 3:23,24, the Spirit is for those who keep Christ's Commands. The command is : 1) believe in the Name of God's Son, and 2) love one another.

This is why Paul warns "whoever disregards God's prohibition on immorality disregards not man but God Who gives you His Spirit" (1 Th 4:8)--as David cried, after having committed immorality with Bathsheba, "Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit away from me!"

Why does Paul even raise their issue of "Who gives His Spirit to you" in connection to observing righteousness (by Grace of course)? The same reason David cries "Do not take Your Holy Spirit away from me"!

Not sure why or how this should be controversial for someone who loves Scripture--I'm literally saying what Scripture says.

• Haha
Reactions: Ritajanice

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we aren’t Born Again...how can we walk in righteousness?
Yes, God's children are to walk "even as Christ walked"--and if they don't, if instead they commit immorality and idolatry, they have no inheritance in God's Kingdom (1 Co 6), so they fall under God's wrath, and forfeit the Promise, just as occurred with the Jews after they were saved and baptized and ate communion (1 Co 9:26-1 Co 10).

• Haha
Reactions: Ritajanice

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 3:3-16 KJV​

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Yes, as long as we are keeping His commands (believe in the Name of God's Son and love one another), we are abiding in Him, and so are being given the Spirit/eternal life that is only found within Christ (1 Jn 5:11).

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Abide in Him" and "keep His commands" typically gets turned into salvation by works at the back door by works-salvationists through their eisegesis. The Greek word for "abide" is "meno" and simply means to remain, not to depart, to continue to be present.

This is not something that only super saints do but all genuine born-again Christians. 1 John 4:13 - By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit... 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.

The Greek word for "keep" as in keep His commands is "tereo" which simply means guard, observe, watch over. 1 John 2:3 - By this we know that we have come to know Him, (already know Him/already saved/demonstrative evidence) if we "keep" (Greek word "tereo" - guard, observe, watch over) His commandments. *This is descriptive of genuine believers. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep (guard, observe, watch over) His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. *This is descriptive of unbelievers.

It does not mean flawlessly obey God 100% of the time and earn eternal life based on the merits of our works. That is a big fail for all of us. (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8-10)
1 John 4:1 says "test the spirits", and, so, the book is full of criteria whereby spirits may be tested.

One of the ways you can test someone's claim that they are of God is by whether they keep Christ's commands ("believe in the Name of God's Son and love one another"). If they're not doing those two things, they're not abiding in Him, so the Spirit is not being supplied to them (1 Jn 3:23,24), so you can know they're lying, because knowing Christ is eternal life (Jn 17:3), but they can't have the Spirit/eternal life without obeying those commands, since, again, the Spirit is only supplied to those who are abiding in Him by obeying Him, so Christ isn't being revealed to them by the Spirit (Jn 16:14).

The book gives other tests--"every spirit that confesses that Christ is come in the flesh is of God", etc.

Not sure how you think you're disagreeing with me, as this is literally what I said.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Eternally Grateful @mailmandan .

Then unfortunately some add their own EISEGESIS to God’s word, as @mailmandan explained to us..Eisegesis is the process of interpreting text in such a way as to introduce one's own presuppositions, agendas or biases. It is commonly referred to as reading into the text.

Which is what we can see on this page by one in particular.

They aren’t understanding that once were Born of God....that’s it, were under grace......rather arguing, I believe God is leading me to stand on his word....not get caught up in manmade religion and arguing...
I've already answered him. You may respond to the answer I've supplied.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Eternally Grateful @mailmandan

They aren’t understanding that once were Born of God....that’s it, were under grace......rather arguing, I believe God is leading me to stand on his word....not get caught up in manmade religion and arguing...
Please finally DO IT! GO AWAY. Quit FLOODING my thread! Go open your own thread and ramble over there!

• Wow
Reactions: mailmandan

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Father God, I know everything I have posted this morning, is relevant to the OP....but, I see anger Lord in the replies..

Jesus’ Teachings on Anger​

Jesus is the best psychologist and the best moral teacher. He understands anger. He understands how to deal with being criticized or mistreated. In the Sermon on the Mount, he goes over his fundamental teaching on anger, contempt, and how to deal with interpersonal conflict.

(All Bible verses are from the NIV84 unless noted otherwise.)

Don’t let anger control you; address it in love​

“I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift. Settle matters quickly with your adversary” (Matthew 5:22-25).

Jesus is not saying that the emotion of anger is sinful. He is saying that anger is dangerous and to be careful!

Stand before the Lord as your gracious Judge and ask yourself: “What am I angry about? Why am I angry? What is an honest and gracious way to deal with this?” Then seek to resolve the conflict that angers you ASAP and do so in love. This is so important that you may need to interrupt a sacred ritual or a time of prayer (Matthew 5:23-24).

Be the first to say “I’m sorry” or to offer empathy and compassion. Of course, this is not fair, but do it anyway because God does it for you. You can “Forgive as the Lord forgave you” (Colossians 3:13).

As long as it’s done in God’s strength
You don't need to wonder, or pray for "God" to reveal some deep secret about why I don't want you FLOODING my thread. I have explained to you in DETAIL already.

Go make your own thread about the topics you want to FLOOD my discussion with.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where in the Bible does it say God speaks to your heart?

it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12). When your heart is pierced and you sense God is speaking directly to you, it's probably because He is. He just touched your heart with His Word.
Go away. I do not care what you believe if it's not the topic.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regards to title of O.P.
John 15:
5. I AM THE VINE, ye are the BRANCHES: He that abideth in me,and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Some seem to forget we are NOT THE VINE, BUT RATHER THE BRANCHES! They want to tell God what he is saying instead of listening & obeying what he has said!

IF
we continue to abide in him, being led through his word by his Spirit then we receive the nourishment needed for maturing as believers .

1 John 3
23This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.
24The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him by the Spirit he has given us.

People have let go of God, unaware they are walking without the vine, satisfied in their
own knowledge, strength & self- righteousness, just as the Pharisees, who challenged Jesus!

Ignore or report, if not learn tolerance!

Reactions: GracePeace

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regards to title of O.P.
John 15:
5. I AM THE VINE, ye are the BRANCHES: He that abideth in me,and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Some seem to forget we are NOT THE VINE, BUT RATHER THE BRANCHES! They want to tell God what he is saying instead of listening & obeying what he has said!

IF
we continue to abide in him, being led through his word by his Spirit then we receive the nourishment needed for maturing as believers .

1 John 3
23This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.
24The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him by the Spirit he has given us.

People have let God of God, unaware they are walking without the vine, satisfied in their
own knowledge, strength & self- righteousness, just as the Pharisees, who challenged Jesus!

Ignore or report, if not learn tolerance!
I'm not even saying these people don't know God just because they are "foggy" on what the Bible teaches.

I don't think God waits for people to have perfect doctrine before they can know God.

I would argue that they DO know God, but that doesn't mean they're right about Scripture--they don't need to be to know God.

They know the God of Scripture, but they don't know the Scripture of the God!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only a Born Again can abide in the true vine....there are those who read scripture in their own strength and haven’t a clue what Born Again means...they are in ignorance of his “ Living “ word.

It’s by the power of the Holy Spirit who is in our spirit , he is the one who keeps us abiding in Christ....you will also get lip service from who don’t understand this.
I've already responded : God can and has disowned His children, so this "born again" that you keep raising, as if no one knows about it, as if it's some novelty, solves nothing.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not even saying these people don't know God just because they are "foggy" on what the Bible teaches.

I don't think God waits for people to have perfect doctrine before they can know God.

I would argue that they DO know God, but that doesn't mean they're right about Scripture--they don't need to be to know God.

They know the God of Scripture, but they don't know the Scripture of the God!

No one has PERFECT understanding but many are deceived.
I'm not timid about marking those who do not walk in the principles, commandments, and standards the word sets forth.

We look through the glass darkly; we could not handle God in his complete fullness; revealed. However we are to know exactly WHAT GOD SAYS, not man.

Proverbs 9:10-11
9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning. 10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding. 11 For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased.

The doctrine of God and Christ are in the word ,clearing the " FOG" out by the Holy Spirit !

Reactions: GracePeace

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This thread Is for discussion and debate so please don’t just add posts with loads of scripture or presume certain things about each other ( especially in prayer ). Using the phrases ‘ they ‘ ‘ them ‘ is actually sitting in judgement of other members taking part in the discussion. Stick to the subject being discussed and be civil to one another.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My posts have been deleted by me...thank you for the wake up call @Rita .

Thank you Lord for showing me and opening my heart to hear you through Rita.

We are to discuss in Love and respect for one another.

In Jesus Name!....Amen!

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does Jesus say?

I like to walk through John as Jesus gives us a picture of what it means to have eternal life I will go through one at a time

1. He said we have to be born again, Its one thing to be born of the flesh, it is another to be born of the spirit.

He tells us how. And uses an OT example to show his point. As Moses lifted the serpent. So too must the son of man be lifted. So too must the son of man be lifted, what whoever believes in him should not perish, but has eternal life.

If we look at the story. The people of Israel were walking through a field of snakes. They would get bitten and die. God told Moses to lift the serpent, whoever looked lived, whoever did not died. Why would people not look? They had unbelief. The people who looked had faith in God. As Jesus said, Whoever believes is not condemned, whoever does not believe is condemned already.

So in review

1. Know your dead, or going to die (as the people who were bitten by snakes)
2. Look to the cross,
3. If you do, you will NEVER DIE (a promise God gave to everyone who looked)
4. And you HAVE eternal life (this literally means you will live forever)

this is being born again. To pass from death to life. This life being eternal.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think this is a great commentary on how we abide in Christ....sometimes imo....my flesh wants to take over...even when it does.....the Holy Spirit will NEVER leave or forsake us...he just lets me get on with it....until I see the errors of my way....which can only come through the Spirit......he opens my heart to see and hear.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.”
Christians are to remain in Jesus like the branches remain attached to the vine. He gives us all that we need to sustain us in this life and for all eternity.
Being saved means we are “in Christ.” It is our status and we are now united in Christ by faith and all His riches have become our own. In Colossians 2:13, it says, “You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins.” God has given us new life in Him.
When Jesus was crucified, we were also crucified with Him; we no longer live but it is Christ in us (Galatians 2:20). We joined with Him in His death as He took our sin upon Himself. Now we are risen with Him, and seated with Him in the heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6). Being in Christ means we have a communion with Him that is rooted in His death and resurrection, and Jesus calls us to remain or “abide” in His love (John 15:9).
So what does abiding in Christ look like in the Christian life?

Fruitfulness​

Remaining or abiding in Jesus means that we will produce fruit. Not physical fruit like apples, pineapples and grapes, but spiritual fruit. Galatians 5:22-23 lists the fruit of the Spirit as “love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” That is quite the variety of fruit that God works in us as we abide in Him. His Spirit remains with us and produces this fruit which we cannot produce in our own effort; we must remain in Him (John 15:4). As we spend time with Him, walking closely with Him by the Spirit, we will not gratify the desires of the flesh (Galatian 5:16). As we bear fruit, it is proof that we are disciples of Jesus and it glorifies Him (John 15:8).

Pruning​

Those who have tried their hand at gardening will know that pruning is when plants are cut off or cut back to encourage more growth. Jesus is the vine, we are the branches, and the Father is the vinedresser or the gardener. He is the one who cuts back the branches that do not produce any fruit. For those branches that do produce fruit, He prunes back further so that they will be even more fruitful (John 15:1-2).
This means that believers will experience painful times in their life. However, the Lord can use it to remove anything that is hindering our spiritual growth. It will result in greater flourishing for us as we walk with Him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.