About Fasting

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah i wondered where the hot dog was coming from lol. Last thing in the world i would have normally posted, as i don't eat them

Using Jedi mind tricks on me? Admit it, you made me go to the refrigerator and get that hot dog! :eek:
Also i might suggest that when you break your food fast, you pick something you dislike to eat, for me it was lima beans lol.

LoL! I'm not waiting 40 whole flipping days to eat, just so I go back to God-forsaken LIMA BEANS! (although I have to admit, at the moment they don't sound all that bad...).

Here's a suggestion: Shut up already, LoL.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
ha! sorry, without unbiased feedback i still have a prob discerning when a point is made i guess.
You could put that one with these if you like though, fwiw
LoL. I suppose you "prolly" could and "prolly" would, but it's really not necessary. Thanks anyway.
I'm not becoming more "acute" about anything at the moment, LoL
Let's put it this way: I'm on Day #7 of a water only fast, and I have to tell you
demonstrating a willingness to humble myself

Reactions: Hidden In Him

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
demonstrating a willingness to humble myself
LoL! I'm not waiting 40 whole flipping days to eat, just so I go back to God-forsaken LIMA BEANS!
well i didn't say 'go buy a bushel of them' lol.
ps, don't go without food for 40 days ok, you know Gandhi et al tried this.
we have already read about the symbolic significance of fasting,
so fwiw "40 days" is symbolic too, ok, it doesn't mean "40 literal days."

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
This is another reason not to tell people, they will pester you to eat.

They say, "Come on eat somthin, Just a little bit."

Moses went 40 days and nights without food or water.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ByGrace - has directed everyone to the correct Scripture reference concerning fasting, but alas, no one person who posted here have understood the gist of what God has in view concerning fasting.

God is not interested in abstaining from food, to abstain from food has no spiritual value whatsoever.

God, through Isaiah, speaks of witnessing in Isaiah 58!

Note verse 6
Is not this the fast (to witness) that I have chosen? to lose the bands of wickedness (to set free the wickedness of sin)? to undo the heavy burdens (the weight of sins) and to let the oppressed (sinner) go free, and that ye break every yoke (severe bondage and affliction)?

Verse 7
Is it not to deal thy bread (Jesus) to the hungry (spiritual hunger) and that thou bring the poor (poor in spirits) that are cast out to thy house? When thou seest the naked (under judgment, sins exposed) that thou cover him (with Christ’s robe of righteousness) and that thy hide not from thyself from thy own flesh.

Verse 8 is self explanatory.

If fasting is essential in any shape or form, consider what Jesus said in Matthew 9:14-15.

14) Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast (abstain from food) oft, but thy disciples fast not?
15) And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast (witness, as per Mt 28:19).

Words in parenthesis and bold are mine.

I hope this helps.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

ah, this is why i cant tell when to stop, see, my point was not "pls eat even just a little something right now" wadr. i truly meant "when you break your fast." And for all i care it could be 80 days, i mean why not go for a record right
at least that is what we read, yes

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
ah, this is why i cant tell when to stop, see, my point was not "pls eat even just a little something right now" wadr. i truly meant "when you break your fast." And for all i care it could be 80 days, i mean why not go for a record right
at least that is what we read, yes

One doesn't go for a record, because it is vanity and you have wasted the fast.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is true, I had a dog that would eat absolutely everything but refused hotdogs.

I think they understand enough English to find the connotations just a little unnerving, and prefer just in case not to condone something that could be incredibly nefarious and disturbing.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ps, don't go without food for 40 days ok, you know Gandhi et al tried this.
we have already read about the symbolic significance of fasting,
so fwiw "40 days" is symbolic too, ok, it doesn't mean "40 literal days."

Balderdash!
2) heck no, right? You got plans already, for that first meal, you got ideas, you still have a will
50% is not enough, see

You'd better believe it, LoL. The one sense that is still at 100% is the one where my body is still screaming for Food!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Why would it be?
why would attempting to food fast for 40 days like we read Jesus did be considered as possibly being vain? Srsly?
You jealous?
ah well if i was i prolly wouldn't come clean anyway, but it's not about me at all
imo just read about others who have tried it and be advised accordingly
they had the same bad idea that is now being propagated here imo,
taking "40 days" literally

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Hidden In Him @bbyrd009

If only on water, what about toxins which the body is kicking out ? Are we sure they can all be eliminated rather than accumulated somewhere in the body for it's protection against them?

Mark...Chris here ( HIH) knows what I am talking about from an inbox we shared.
As friend of ours was over weight, and wanted to glorify the Lord by a 40 day fast ..( he just loved his food) So he did the fast...he died about 6 months later...they said that it was for the poison which gathered together and formed a deadly tumour . He had surgery, but it was too late.

He called me from the hospital shortly before he died...he said...tell the Church that praise really does work! I have been praising the Lord continually through this pain, praise works better than painkillers. I will be praising my way into the kingdom.

This to me is a threat to health ( what happens to the toxins) after being on a long fast!

Can I ask Why 40 days? That is a very long time.
@Iforrest mentioned Moses fast of 40. A little different, he did not 'work' change a tire or anything...he was up the mountain in the glory cloud with God face to face.
Somewhat different.
Yes, it bothers me ....and I do worry...
Maybe God cover you and send you angels at this time.

download.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Nah. I'm not bothered. My wife is an excellent cook, and I've asked her not to do as much cooking until I'm done cuz she'll have the whole house smelling better than I can withstand. That would trouble me some. But looking at the word "lima beans" really isn't doing it for me all that much.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LoL. I suppose you "prolly" could and "prolly" would, but it's really not necessary. Thanks anyway.

Let's put it this way: I'm on Day #7 of a water only fast, and I have to tell you that my mental energy is down by about roughly 50% at least. I'm not becoming more "acute" about anything at the moment, LoL. What I am doing is praying more, however, and demonstrating a willingness to humble myself under the mighty hand of God so that He might "reward me openly" in due time, by His grace. I have a habit of regularly hearing from God all the time, and my experience is that I actually hear Him LESS when fasting then when I am not. But that's not the purpose, so I'm ok with it.

Now I will say this: For those who are generally caught up in worldly affairs and not in the habit of hearing from Him, it might indeed be helpful at least for a day or two, as it would cause them to take their eyes off carnal and soulish pursuits for a change. It all depends on who you are talking about.
Whether or not we are sharper when we are fasting is not necessarily our answer, is it? When I have fasted I have become as you have, but this may have little or nothing to do with what God is doing for us or what we are doing for Him.

I am not certain we can earn our way to a closer walk with God, but God will still recognize a sincere effort to move closer to Him. We, however, unable to perceive the results directly by our natural senses or by our mind.

Our real purpose for fasting is what God will see and perhaps reward even if for His reasons there is no discernable response to our flesh.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If only on water, what about toxins which the body is kicking out ? we sure they can all be eliminated rather than accumulated somewhere in the body for it's protection against them?

Well, this will be my first time through, so I'm observing my body carefully. But I'm walking and praying a lot, and the amount of mild exercise I'm getting from that and work has my urine dark yellow rather than clear (sorry). That with a lot of water flushing out my systems means I'm releasing toxins quite well right now, more than normal in fact.
Can I ask Why 40 days? That is a very long time.
Yes, it bothers me and I worry...
Maybe God cover you and send you angels at this time.

I think there is a covering for it, and an anointing that is what makes it possible to begin with. The 40 is I believe a biblical precedent, not only from our Lord but also from Moses (as lforrest pointed out), and also from the 40 years in the wilderness. But again, not to worry. If you check out the link I provided in Post #37, the guy I'm reading from right now completed it over 29 times. So for those who are healthy it can't be all that big of a deal. :)

Reactions: Helen