About Fasting

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we fast does God speak to us more often, or does he speak the same amount and we just notice more?

There is a theory that we hear Him more, but I don't buy it. It was defined as "humbling oneself" in the OT, and this is its primary purpose. Through subjection of the flesh, we humble ourselves, becoming more pleasing to God. When we put the flesh down, we position ourselves to be lifted up in the Spirit by God. But when we're proud in the flesh, this largely disqualifies us from it because we would take glory unto ourselves if God did so. That's why you see so much self-glorification and powerlessness in Christian leadership these days. Pride instead of humility = fleshliness, not spirituality.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
this kind come not out-but by Prayer and Fasting
to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
^

Reactions: Truth

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
There is a popular chapter quoted for fasting which is Isaiah 58. But if you look closely, God actually defines the kind of fast he wants. The fasting God mentioned in that verse isn't the same as the abstinence from food fasting that Jesus and the Apostles talks about.

The Isaiah fasting is talking about sacrificial living and bearing others burden-- Love. While Jesus and the Apostles' fast recommendation is talking about abstinence from food.

And from what I have discovered, both fastings has to go hand in glove for more effect.

And the best approach to fasting, as many folks I know and myself do it, is simply making it a lifestyle...

This is how it is done: you can just cut down on your usual food intake per time (Like my cousin does it)...

Or maybe you eat at 12PM daily like one of my friend does it...

Or like I do it, choose some days in the week (three or two) to be fasting regularly.
I can testify from experience that fasting is definitely a very rewarding spiritual exercise. But for more effect, let's also make God's fasting requirement in Isaiah 58 a lifestyle.

Let's always help people lift their burdens, undo the bands of wickedness; let's not hide ourselves from our flesh. Let's clothe the naked. Let's house the homeless. The Lord says it is the kind of fasting he has chosen.

Please go and critically read that chapter again.

This is called living a fasted life.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It is clear that fasting isn't merely abstaining from food. It is generally denying the desires of the flesh. Even denied to a degree that would be unsustainable as a lifestyle.

Its as though by denying the flesh our spirit is strengthened. But this may just be an observation from our limited perspective. How can I explain my understanding of this? Its like our spirit is in a house with the Lord and we are outside looking in through a window. By fasting we move closer to the window. So our spirit isn't strengthened there is less in the way, less noise, less distance.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
There is a theory that we hear Him more, but I don't buy it. It was defined as "humbling oneself" in the OT, and this is its primary purpose.
Through subjection of the flesh, we humble ourselves, becoming more pleasing to God. When we put the flesh down, we position ourselves to be lifted up in the Spirit by God. But when we're proud in the flesh, this largely disqualifies us from it because we would take glory unto ourselves if God did so.
i gave you a like anyway, but i'm curious why you don't buy it? After the excellent description after, i'm finding these two hard to reconcile, ty
There is a theory that we hear Him more, but I don't buy it.
your "hearing" is much more acute when you are hungry v when satisfied. Not sure if this is self evident or not, i could prolly dig up some study by some Dr if that would sway you any.

I guess all of your senses become more acute, although we might consider these just the physical symptoms of what is really a spiritual manifestation, if we are discussing food fasting anyway. After a big meal one is usually mostly ready for a nap, right

Last edited:

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Exactly, Isaiah 58:1-7, these people were going through the motions, acting like they were trying to Approach God, but they were neck deep in Iniquity. And if they did Fast!!!!! What did they do with the Meal they Passed Up, or did they seek to Comfort the Poor, or cloth the less fortunet, or even show kindness to their workers. Here they were Fasting to God and Failing to follow Gods Instructions about how to support their Own, Jesus make's this same comparison when He rebukes those in the Judgment, You did not feed me when I was hungry, did not cloth me when I was Naked, did not comfort me when I was sick or in prison. As you did not this to the least of these, your people!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

LoL. I suppose you "prolly" could and "prolly" would, but it's really not necessary. Thanks anyway.
your "hearing" is much more acute when you are hungry v when satisfied. Not sure if this is self evident or not, i could prolly dig up some study by some Dr if that would sway you any.

I guess all of your senses become more acute, although we might consider these just the physical symptoms of what is really a spiritual manifestation, if we are discussing food fasting anyway. After a big meal one is usually mostly ready for a nap, right

Let's put it this way: I'm on Day #7 of a water only fast, and I have to tell you that my mental energy is down by about roughly 50% at least. I'm not becoming more "acute" about anything at the moment, LoL. What I am doing is praying more, however, and demonstrating a willingness to humble myself under the mighty hand of God so that He might "reward me openly" in due time, by His grace. I have a habit of regularly hearing from God all the time, and my experience is that I actually hear Him LESS when fasting then when I am not. But that's not the purpose, so I'm ok with it.

Now I will say this: For those who are generally caught up in worldly affairs and not in the habit of hearing from Him, it might indeed be helpful at least for a day or two, as it would cause them to take their eyes off carnal and soulish pursuits for a change. It all depends on who you are talking about.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
LoL. I suppose you "prolly" could and "prolly" would, but it's really not necessary. Thanks anyway.

Let's put it this way: I'm on Day #7 of a water only fast, and I have to tell you that my mental energy is down by about roughly 50% at least. I'm not becoming more "acute" about anything at the moment, LoL. What I am doing is praying more, however, and demonstrating a willingness to humble myself under the mighty hand of God so that He might "reward me openly" in due time, by His grace. I have a habit of regularly hearing from God all the time, and my experience is that I actually hear Him LESS when fasting then when I am not. But that's not the purpose, so I'm ok with it.

Now I will say this: For those who are generally caught up in worldly affairs and not in the habit of hearing from Him, it might indeed be helpful at least for a day or two, as it would cause them to take their eyes off carnal and soulish pursuits for a change. It all depends on who you are talking about.

Question:-

Do you usually stay home and pray and fast?
Or do you do your 'regular stuff' during these times.

I can see it if you are 'giving yourself' to spiritual things...but if you are 'out and about' doing usual things...then it is just a fast right?

I'm not being funny, I really am asking.
I prolly couldn't do it...in fact I know I couldn't .
The longest I ever fasted was 10 days.
I didn't feel any more spiritual afterward than before...
Like you, I have never had a hard time in hearing God speak. He didn't speak any thing dynamic during that time.
It was years ago, and even remember why I was fasting now.

To be honest I don't really understand it much.

Bless you, Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you usually stay home and pray and fast?
Or do you do your 'regular stuff' during these times.

My regular stuff is staying at home and praying, so I guess that kinda messes up your question a bit. ;)
I can see it if you are 'giving yourself' to spiritual things...but if you are 'out and about' doing usual things...then it is just a fast right?

If you mean it is just an attempt to lose weight, yeah basically it would be.
I'm not being funny, I really am asking.
I prolly couldn't do it...in fact I know I couldn't .
The longest I ever fasted was 10 days.

Sister, that's a lot longer than most people I know.
I didn't feel any more spiritual afterward than before...
To be honest I don't really understand it much.

Good questions (inferred). See, it's not about feeling more spiritual. It's a humbling of yourself, almost on par with wearing sackcloth and ashes. It's a repentance before God; not necessarily because you have sinned, but because you are acknowledging that your whole nature is sinful compared to His, and you want it to be taken out of the way. This was the purpose of fasting in OT times especially. You are acknowledging the need for His strength, empowerment, deliverance etc, which He grants whenever the time is right. This is why Nineveh fasted. They were acknowledging their sinfulness before God in hopes he would overlook it and lift the judgment from off of them, and He did. Fasting acknowledges our inadequacies, our lack of power, faithfulness, self-sacrifice unto God, etc, so that when the deliverance and empowerment comes we will readily acknowledge that it was "not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit" says the Lord. As Paul said, "When I am weak, then I am strong." It's basically "less of me, more of Him," and "less of the flesh, more of the Spirit."

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good questions (inferred). See, it's not about feeling more spiritual. It's a humbling of yourself, almost on par with wearing sackcloth and ashes.

I guess mine was a wash really...because I still had to feed the family..do laundry, shopping, and run my old dad to appointments..
"Life" still went on , so I had to go on too...

I have done internet , devices fasts..they are good for us to get refocussed.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so you're not more acutely hungry? You don't think you could smell a hot dog through a wall right now? ok

LoL. Actually, I took a hot dog out of the refrigerator to give my dog a treat, and after I sat down and took a drink from my glass I smelled hot dog everywhere. Smelled pretty good, too.
ok, ty. What is the purpose do you think

I have it in here somewhere... Post #31 is part of it. I actually have a thread going at CF that explains it better, so let me see if I can't provide the link in a sec.
is there any way you could get it down by about 75-80%?
:)

LoL. I only wish. Ha! See, this is why you need to be praying for me. I'm going down fast, LoL. Pretty soon I won't even know my name anymore. :p

Here. Here's the link. Posts #1 and #5 especially explain my theology on fasting. The video in #5 is a good watch.
https://www.christianforums.com/threads/observing-the-40-day-fast.8072562/

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
LoL. I only wish. Ha! See, this is why you need to be praying for me. I'm going down fast, LoL.
ah, you mean you want me to make a supplication, right; imo that's different. Ok i can do that too, but you realize what you are asking for? Pain, iow. i know you think you are asking for relief, but really you are asking for pain here
LoL. I only wish.
now that is a prayer

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Pretty soon I won't even know my name anymore. :p
ah excellent, you have another name anyway, a secret name, so imo don't fight this, but rather try to go with it. Also i might suggest that when you break your food fast, you pick something you dislike to eat, for me it was lima beans lol. Well, the first time i did it that way anyway...now i love lima beans so i have to pick something different