About Fasting

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't think any of them remember personally anything from prior to Vatican II, but they can tell us what is happening now.

Im of the first generation chatechised? after Vatican II. And i can tell that their was some (much?) confusion in the late 70's, but the Lord blessed us with John Paul II, whom HE used to set the house back in order, in the Spirit of Vatican II, and in unity to the Traditon of the Church.

Pax!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Im of the first generation chatechised? after Vatican II. And i can tell that their was some (much?) confusion in the late 70's, but the Lord blessed us with John Paul II, whom HE used to set the house back in order, in the Spirit of Vatican II, and in unity to the Traditon of the Church.
Pax!

I just have to ask...what does the PAX word mean at the end of all your posts?

Should I know this...I bet it is a simple answer and I am the only one who doesn't know, because I am the only one who has asked. :D

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Should I know this...I bet it is a simple answer and I am the only one who doesn't know, because I am the only one who has asked. :D

Thats Latin for Peace!

Peace!

Reactions: Helen

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Helen, the Latin PAX is an expression originally taken from the Roman goddess of peace.

In RCC circles, it means ‘peace with you’ or ‘the kiss of peace’ used in the ‘mass’ at the sacrifice portion or ‘the communion’ with the kissing of a decorated plate with usually the enclaving of the crucifix scene that is literally kissed by its members.

APAK

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Helen, the Latin PAX is an expression originally taken from the Roman goddess of peace.

In RCC circles, it means ‘peace with you’ or ‘the kiss of peace’ used in the ‘mass’ at the sacrifice portion or ‘the communion’ with the kissing of a decorated plate with usually the enclaving of the crucifix scene that is literally kissed by its members.

APAK
And even in kid's games it means "Time out!", more or less.

Reactions: APAK

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pax!
Thanks for the input. As I say it was so long ago I have forgotten much but I know there were some drastic changes with the implementation of Vatican II. They definitely did not read all of the scripture when I was attending regularly and the only active roll available to women during the mass was in the choir. When I went to that funeral service a women stood at a podium and read some scripture. It seems to me like females also help the priests doing some of the altar boys did.

I attended Mission San Juan Bautista the largest of the 21 California missions. We had only one priest there full-time, a Monsignor. Other priests who worked as teachers at a Catholic school about 10 miles away came to assist in saying mass especially on Sundays. There were 4 nuns of the Franciscan Order who had their own place close to the Mission who taught us from the catechism during religious release from the public school once a week.

The fasting they taught us about was from meat of Fridays, but fish was allowed.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Don't feel bad, it took me it seems forever to under stand, imo, tbh, fwiw, wadr, bc, and many others, and there are some that have raised there ugly head just recently that confound me, does it ever end! ahhhh LOL. My generation used words, IYR, [IF YOU REMEMBER] yes lets go with that one, I just made it up, problem is will I remember,LOL

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks for the input. As I say it was so long ago I have forgotten much but I know there were some drastic changes with the implementation of Vatican II. They definitely did not read all of the scripture when I was attending regularly and the only active roll available to women during the mass was in the choir. When I went to that funeral service a women stood at a podium and read some scripture. It seems to me like females also help the priests doing some of the altar boys did.

I attended Mission San Juan Bautista the largest of the 21 California missions. We had only one priest there full-time, a Monsignor. Other priests who worked as teachers at a Catholic school about 10 miles away came to assist in saying mass especially on Sundays. There were 4 nuns of the Franciscan Order who had their own place close to the Mission who taught us from the catechism during religious release from the public school once a week.

The fasting they taught us about was from meat of Fridays, but fish was allowed.

Women can do readings and assist as extraordinary eucharistic ministers. And in my diocese, girls can assist just as altar boys, but im not sure if this is by special dispensation...

Friday fasting to honour the day Jesus was crucified remains a discipline of the Church

Peace!

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Women can do readings and assist as extraordinary eucharistic ministers. And in my diocese, girls cam assist just as altar boys, but im not sure if this is by special dispensation...

Friday fasting to honour the day Jesus was crucified remains a disciplibe of the Church

Peace!
Thank you for the unstressful information!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
:)

:)

I'm assuming you've been round and round with people numerous times on this teaching, so I have no great interest in biting at the present time. But thanks for sharing.

Bryd, up till now I've been taking you seriously, and I would like to continue to do so. So I'm going to avoid discussing this.
meat=sick

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am finishing day 11 of a caffeine fast. Mainly coffee...I find it harder to stay awake, but my prayer life has deepened and God has just been working in it. I am praying about interpreting dreams I have (God has used Hidden in Him to open up this world to me. I will never be the same I think!) and also to not have anxiety anymore, because I realize what a trap it has been in my life. I had a dream with a litter box of anxieties. I was not using the right pooper scooper. Lol. No caffeine definitely works towards no anxiety also...I may need to do an extended fast after 21 days, like maybe forever...I am not sure yet. :D But I also have had energy from the Holy Spirit just flowing through me. I've been super excited, which fuels me more then the world's largest cafe aulait! I just want my walk to be closer to God every day.

Hidden in Him doing a 40 day fast is very much amazing...I hope to have a walk like that one day, but I wouldn't attempt anything like that at this time.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I am finishing day 11 of a caffeine fast. Mainly coffee...I find it harder to stay awake, but my prayer life has deepened and God has just been working in it. I am praying about interpreting dreams I have (God has used Hidden in Him to open up this world to me. I will never be the same I think!) and also to not have anxiety anymore, because I realize what a trap it has been in my life. I had a dream with a litter box of anxieties. I was not using the right pooper scooper. Lol. No caffeine definitely works towards no anxiety also...I may need to do an extended fast after 21 days, like maybe forever...I am not sure yet. :D But I also have had energy from the Holy Spirit just flowing through me. I've been super excited, which fuels me more then the world's largest cafe aulait! I just want my walk to be closer to God every day.

Hidden in Him doing a 40 day fast is very much amazing...I hope to have a walk like that one day, but I wouldn't attempt anything like that at this time.

Isn't God amazing! Think about how this started, with @Willie T posting about a forum where "haters" were condemning a book on fasting. Meanwhile @Hidden In Him had already started a 40 day fast and had told me but no one else here that I'm aware. Talk about timing... Now many are edified and asking about this much neglected practice.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't God amazing! Think about how this started, with @Willie T posting about a forum where "haters" were condemning a book on fasting. Meanwhile @Hidden In Him had already started a 40 day fast and had told me but no one else here that I'm aware. Talk about timing... Now many are edified and asking about this much neglected practice.
Well, it is not always that way.
For instance, this video is beautiful to me, but even here, it will horrify some people, and create huge turmoil, while others will love it as I do. (You can even see the skepticism all over Peter Jenning's face and body language.)

Reactions: amadeus

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On another forum, several people trashed a certain book. So, of course, I immediately had to grab myself a copy. (Bless all the "Haters" who open so much of the word of God to me.... while trying their best to destroy it.)

What do you think of these words in the book?

Some have exalted religious fasting beyond all Scripture and reason; and others have utterly disregarded it. — JOHN WESLEY

In a culture where the landscape is dotted with shrines to the Golden Arches and an assortment of Pizza Temples, fasting seems out of place, out of step with the times. In fact, fasting has been in general disrepute both in and outside the Church for many years. For example, in my research I could not find a single book published on the subject of Christian fasting from 1861 to 1954, a period of nearly one hundred years. More recently a renewed interest in fasting has developed, but we have far to go to recover a biblical balance. What would account for this almost total disregard of a subject so frequently mentioned in Scripture and so ardently practiced by Christians through the centuries?

Any thoughts?

Were you able to check the likes of Amy Simple McPherson, Kathern Kuhlman, and those that date even further back. Would surprise me if they did have something on fasting.
I heard a story about Jack Cole at a preacher convention, as they got up to testify one by one to fasting and praying, big Jack Cole got up and testified "brethren that is all well and good, but I think I'll eat and believe God." Lol he was a big guy greatly used of God.

Reactions: Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Were you able to check the likes of Amy Simple McPherson, Kathern Kuhlman, and those that date even further back. Would surprise me if they did have something on fasting.
I heard a story about Jack Cole at a preacher convention, as they got up to testify one by one to fasting and praying, big Jack Cole got up and testified "brethren that is all well and good, but I think I'll eat and believe God." Lol he was a big guy greatly used of God.
Kathryn Kuhlman was my aunt. And, "Yes", she did fast.

Reactions: Helen and soul man

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kathryn Kuhlman was my aunt. And, "Yes", she did fast.

Oh was she, my Grandma loved her and used to go to L.A. to see her. I can still remember her intro on her TV show "I beliiiieeeve in miracles."
Little bit before my time as a Christian, but my Grandma used to encourage me to watch her.

Reactions: Helen and Willie T