About Fasting

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is excellent. I'm trying to do the same thing now. I used to lead smaller churches in worship by being something of a sort of one man band. I played guitar and sang, played bass with my feet, and used a drum machine to create a full sound. I also did it at home for a while and my wife loves worship so it made the house a happier, blessed place to be for a time. But then I kinda got out of it eventually. I have musical gifts but it's not my calling, so when I'm not heavily involved in a worship team or leading in some small church it tends to fall by the wayside.

But I'm bored lately. I think I'm about to spend a grand on a 4-track mixer and a strong powered speaker to run the drums and vocals through again, and start setting everything up. It's part hobby (making drum tracks, playing with the mix, the harmonizer, changing strings etc), but it's something that glorifies God and ministers to the spirit as well, so I need to do it, even if I don't really wanna spend that kinda money right now.

Thanks. We sound like we're in the same boat to a large extent.
I also have a little music ability. I haven't played in church services in years, but I still play my piano at home almost daily for at least a short while. I also play my harmonicas. The harmonicas [7 keys plus two chromatics] I have favored over the piano but I easily get out of breath so there is no more walking and playing. I have to be sitting down so all my wind is available for playing.

Then of course there is my stamp collection which I am phasing out by selling it but at the rate I am going there will likely be some left when I am gone... even if that is many years from now.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That so reminds me of my own dad. He was 90.
I came into the kitchen one morning at 8 am and there he was , with a cereal bowl full of chocolate raisins :D

I said " Dad, you can't do that, they are not good for you.."
He said- " Why, will they shorten my life of three days..."
( He was in heart failure)
He died shortly after. The last time I heard his voice was at 9pm struggling his way to breath through reading Psalm 86 out aloud.
He was amazing.

I don't think the chocolate raisins mattered much either way :D
Give God the glory!

Reactions: Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that doesn't seem to be provided. Do you think the where is meaningful there?

Well, it's an interesting question, as it posits whether he did so the second time without abiding in the glory which was empowering him to do so supernaturally the first time. The scripture says he did not even drink water the first time, and as you yourself stated I think, that is a really, really BAD idea, in my opinion, and indeed something very dangerous to the body. As Amadeus was saying, it says only that Jesus hungered, which in the desert means he would have had to have been drinking water.

This then makes it meaningful because it suggests he went back up. If he again "fell before the Lord," the Lord was still on the mountain, so it means he turned around and went right back up, and it leaves in question just how present Moses was during the events that transpired after the golden calf incident took place. I'd have to go back and read the full account again.

I'm certain of none of this, btw. I'm simply telling you how it would be meaningful from the perspective of fully understanding the Biblical narrative.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also play my harmonicas. The harmonicas [7 keys plus two chromatics] I have favored over the piano but I easily get out of breath so there is no more walking and playing. I have to be sitting down so all my wind is available for playing

LoL. This is where playing a "wind" instrument where you don't have to make your own wind comes in handy in your latter years. But I love the harmonica. As a long time fan of classic rock (I realize that's probably not what you're playing), some the best songs were those where harmonica was used. I also love the cowbell, and the mandolin. Harmonica is really a cool instrument. Music is a wonderful thing, and I heard that we will continue to play on all forms of musical instruments when we get to Heaven, in praise to Him. Just think of how immensely talented some of the great artists and composers must be by now for having been in Heaven and continuing to advance in music all these years.

Heaven is going to be really fun. :)

Reactions: amadeus

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fasting is supposed to be done in secret as prescribed in Matt 6. So maybe lots are and just not telling. I doubt it cause it also says to pray and give in secret and plenty don't do that.

Personally I believe not many fast anymore because it makes the beast angry (the one behind your belly button)! Simply put... Its a miserable feeling. They are letting the flesh control them.

Fasting is indeed beconing a trend, but for fleshly reasons again... The want to lose weight. That can be positive for health, but its most likely vanity. It has nothing to do spiritually.
I Agree, I knew a fella years ago that had fasted for 40 days 2 or 3 times, he lost a lot of weight, But he also gained it back, he was a Big fella! His brother was a pastor, and he fasted for the Church to grow, didn't happen!

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LoL. This is where playing a "wind" instrument where you don't have to make your own wind comes in handy in your latter years. But I love the harmonica. As a long time fan of classic rock (I realize that's probably not what you're playing), some the best songs were those where harmonica was used. I also love the cowbell, and the mandolin. Harmonica is really a cool instrument. Music is a wonderful thing, and I heard that we will continue to play on all forms of musical instruments when we get to Heaven, in praise to Him. Just think of how immensely talented some of the great artists and composers must be by now for having been in Heaven and continuing to advance in music all these years.

Heaven is going to be really fun. :)
My only sharing of the harmonica is usually for birthdays in our little coffee group. I will play the "happy birthday" song for the special person while my wife will prepare whatever kind of cake or pie that person prefers. Birthday person's choice. Other than that while I usually often have one or two small harmonicas with me for coffee and I rarely get requests except at Christmas time and maybe for a couple of other holidays. I do know all of the Christmas songs and many of the popular secular songs from my own era. I can play most anything if I can hum the melody. Lots of new songs are unknown to me.

Probably whatever heaven is will surprise us all. I have a different view about it than most and I expect that our friend @bbyrd009 has some thoughts on it that don't fit into a lot of people's beliefs or practices.

Nonetheless while I cannot take my harmonicas with me I don't expect that will be a concern.

Last edited:

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My only sharing of the harmonica is usually for birthdays in our little coffee group. I will play the "happy birthday" song for the special person while my wife will prepare whatever kind of cake or pie that person prefers. Birthday person's choice. Other than that while I usually often have one or two small harmonicas with me for coffee and I rarely get requests except at Christmas time and maybe for a couple of other holidays. I do all know all of the Christmas songs and many of the popular secular songs from my own era. I can play most anything if I can hum the melody. Lots of new songs are unknown to me.

Probably whatever heaven is will surprise us all. I have a different view about it than most and I expect that our friend @bbyrd009 has some thoughts on it that don't fit into a lot of people's beliefs or practices.

Nonetheless while I cannot take my harmonicas with me I don't expect that will be a concern.

Don't loose Hope, there will be plenty of music to worship the LORD in heavenly places, might just be a Heavenly Harmonica Just for You! I don't know about wild rock and roll though!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't loose Hope, there will be plenty of music to worship the LORD in heavenly places, might just be a Heavenly Harmonica Just for You! I don't know about wild rock and roll though!
Thanks for the encouragement. I will take as it comes, one day at the time, one moment at the time. I am really content most of the time with things as they are. I might sometimes wish for fewer problems with shortness of breath, but thank God that most of the time when I have wanted to play my harmonica I have been able to do so...

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
His brother was a pastor, and he fasted for the Church to grow, didn't happen!

That is the trouble with any prayer..not only with fasting.
We cannot twist God's arm to make Him do anything.

If that pastor had heard the Lord clearly tell him to fast for the church numbers to increase it would have happened.
So much prayer, even fasting is presumption.

I've seen peoples faith shaken so hard - " I prayed and prayed, I fasted , I believed ...but God did nothing."
People have been shaken to their roots.
Faith/ believing can only be built on the foundation of hearing from the Lord.
As it says in Romans.
That is where the Word of Faith movement went off the rails...= " say it and pray it enough times and it will happen." Nop. That is dead works.

That said...I do believe in standing on a scripture and holding it in the face of the enemy as "a jaw bone of an ass"...and proclaiming it as truth in the face of the Enemy... Once I was sick and I did that...and after a while...it was like the
"stiring of the waters at the pool of Bethesda.." Suddenly the Lords anointing fell on that verse I was speaking and it became empowered, and I was healed.

But I am rambling here LOL

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the trouble with any prayer..not only with fasting.
We cannot twist God's arm to make Him do anything.

If that pastor had heard the Lord clearly tell him to fast for the church numbers to increase it would have happened.
So much prayer, even fasting is presumption.

I've seen peoples faith shaken so hard - " I prayed and prayed, I fasted , I believed ...but God did nothing."
People have been shaken to their roots.
Faith/ believing can only be built on the foundation of hearing from the Lord.
As it says in Romans.
That is where the Word of Faith movement went off the rails...= " say it and pray it enough times and it will happen." Nop. That is dead works.

That said...I do believe in standing on a scripture and holding it in the face of the enemy as "a jaw bone of an ass"...and proclaiming it as truth in the face of the Enemy... Once I was sick and I did that...and after a while...it was like the
"stiring of the waters at the pool of Bethesda.." Suddenly the Lords anointing fell on that verse I was speaking and it became empowered, and I was healed.

But I am rambling here LOL

Yes, so true ! we have our expectations, our time line, But if the Bride Groom Tarry's!!!! will our oil run out?

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then of course there is my stamp collection which I am phasing out by selling it but

I also like to collect stamps, but it has been years since I had time to do so... 6 kids will do that lol...
Its awesome that you have some musical. Talent.. I love to sing but om often offkey.. I belt it out anyway lol...

You should share your gift with your brethren in worship.. Tone deaf guys like me appreciate more than .You know ;)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"you reap what you sow."

i'm curious how your hubby might reconcile these two statements

I asked him and he said: to sow means to plant something: seed. Are you planting self or the seed of Christ? (Not aimed at you but in general). This led to a discussion and a fresh look at Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

And then moves into speaking of men that want you to be circumcised even though: Galatians 6:13 [13] For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh. The conclusion being: Galatians 6:14-15 [14] But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. [15] For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

“God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of Jesus Christ” How would you reconcile: “you put too much confidence in the flesh” and “You reap what you sow”?

Reactions: Mayflower

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Heaven is going to be really fun.
if you aren't in heaven right now then you are going to be getting the "thief in the night"
rather than the kingdom that you expect to come by observation
wadr
Just think of how immensely talented some of the great artists and composers must be by now for having been in Heaven and continuing to advance in music all these years.
you are waiting to die to go to some place that simply does not exist wadr
this is the Roman Cult of Sol, descended from Mithraism, and more or less installed by Constantine into the "Catholic" church. You can also search Caesaropapism.

All go to the same place. The dead know nothing. Samuel came up out of the earth.

The Bible is full of refutes to the concept of a "place" that you might attain only after you die and be able to say "here it is." You might also examine this "heaven will be fun," see, you know where you are going, right, but we do not yet know what we will become.

i know this is not comfortable, as we like to have the feeling that we are in control, just as "Christians" are the ones ostensibly in control of the world right now. And acknowledging that you are not in control is not a pleasant thing
...we have our expectations, our time line, But if the Bride Groom Tarry's!!!! will our oil run out?
^

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also like to collect stamps, but it has been years since I had time to do so... 6 kids will do that lol...
Its awesome that you have some musical. Talent.. I love to sing but om often offkey.. I belt it out anyway lol...

You should share your gift with your brethren in worship.. Tone deaf guys like me appreciate more than .You know ;)
As God directs so I try to do. I will consider and pray about your suggestion. Unfortunately there are reasons why I don't already in the present congregation that have nothing to do with my abilities in music... but as I said I will give it some more serious consideration. God always knows the right pathway for us. When we miss it is our own fault. What is it the Catholics used to pray?

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
Through my fault, through my most grievous fault!

Give God the glory!

Last edited:
Reactions: Philip James

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
“God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of Jesus Christ” How would you reconcile: “you put too much confidence in the flesh” and “You reap what you sow”?
well i'm not entirely sure i understand what he meant by his statement yet tbh. What i am hearing is something like "you should not expect that anything you do has any real consequences" or something similar to that. To my mind there is a diff in accepting responsibility for actions that have consequences v glorying in my ability to overcome via better actions. If i miss the mark, it follows that to be accepted i must strive to hit the mark.

Another way to put this might be that "the flesh profits nothing" is not saying that the flesh does not profit, as is likely being advocated there imo; it means that actions done from a carnal pov will not profit the doer. Actions done from a spiritual perspective benefit the flesh! Now pride in them is a diff deal, but we often warp the def of that in with vanity imo; there is nothing wrong with feeling a sense of "pride" at a job well done, or wanting to hear "well done." but also doing them for that end would be glorying, sure, we even call it "vainglory," and we now recog those seeking it as Codependent.

Little kids are codependent, and need to hear "well done," a lot. But when they become teens we (are supposed to) wean them from this, and instill self-esteem in them, which i often see Christianity doing just the opposite, destroying self-esteem. arg.

i just get the impression that your husband does not believe that a change in your habits will affect any improvement, or something.
We don't realize it bc the forest/trees thing, but it was a change in our ancient eating habits that causes decline. Now granted the physical decline manifests from the spiritual decline, and really all my advice can do is address symptoms in that regard--any advice i give is similar to a supplement; basically useless by itself, until you make it your own--but this is my suck-in for the spiritual changes that need to be undertaken, that i am not even qualified to advise on, that manifest after one makes their own connections where their health is concerned, imo.

so i could also say that i agree with your hubby to a point; all problems are spiritual problems. Definitely. But learning how these manifest into the physical via our choices can also become a spiritual lesson, or rather a bridge to them, at least imo.

i never had any desire to learn the intricacies of nutrition; my choices in diet, that were driven by tradition and habit as much as marketing and profit, made the education mandatory at the time. If i did not change, i was going to die. Having learned (or relearned) that the point is "eat healthy, natural, organic, unprocessed food as much as possible," i can tell you that i pay no attn whatsoever to nutrients and trace metals and Omega 3 now, bc i don't have to. i just go find and buy $30 chickens and let ppl look at me like i'm insane--until they taste the chicken lol--and i'll put my food bill up against anyone's medical bills, any day of the week.

i'm passing curious if your husband is on any Rx?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What is it the Catholics used to pray?

Mea culpa, mea culpa!
hmm, Catholics don't pray this any more?

interesting to me that it was prayed twice! lol
like a record, skipping
(think i just read...Aspen? asking forgiveness, and planning to go ask again that evening or something)
(ps, this is not Christian)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if you aren't in heaven right now then you are going to be getting the "thief in the night"
rather than the kingdom that you expect to come by observation
wadr

:)
you are waiting to die to go to some place that simply does not exist wadr
this is the Roman Cult of Sol, descended from Mithraism, and more or less installed by Constantine into the "Catholic" church. You can also search Caesaropapism.

:)
All go to the same place. The dead know nothing. Samuel came up out of the earth.

I'm assuming you've been round and round with people numerous times on this teaching, so I have no great interest in biting at the present time. But thanks for sharing.
The Bible is full of refutes to the concept of a "place" that you might attain only after you die and be able to say "here it is." You might also examine this "heaven will be fun," see, you know where you are going, right, but we do not yet know what we will become.

Bryd, up till now I've been taking you seriously, and I would like to continue to do so. So I'm going to avoid discussing this.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is it the Catholics used to pray?

Mea culpa, mea culpa!

Used to and still do. But , alleluia, we have a merciful judge who is quick to forgive us..

Indeed, give God the Glory!
Alleluia!

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm, Catholics don't pray this any more?

interesting to me that it was prayed twice! lol
like a record, skipping
(think i just read...Aspen? asking forgiveness, and planning to go ask again that evening or something)
(ps, this is not Christian)
I haven't been to a Catholic mass in many years. My last one was for funeral several years ago but that was a different service anyway and it bore no resemblance at all to what I recall.

Remember that when I attended regularly [last in 1961] only the priest and the altar boys spoke during the mass. The altar boys [I was one of them.]responded in Latin. Only the priest spoke English but that was not really part of the mass. Most of the priest's part was also in Latin. The details evade me as it was a long time ago and my memory is not so good anyway. Maybe one of our Catholic members here would help us on this. I don't think any of them remember personally anything from prior to Vatican II, but they can tell us what is happening now.

Reactions: bbyrd009