Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The true followers of Christ are hearers and doers of The word .
Thus if JESUS said it they do it . For the love of GOD has truly been shed upon their hearts .
The apostels , i know followed Christ . They took Him at Him at His Word . They too baptized .
IF JESUS said to do we do . For a lamb hears , obeys and follows His every word . They have the SPIRIT
and the SPIRIT is not contrary to the Word . It guides them into all truth .
But many are hearers only , thus that means they have deceived themselves .
The final hour , the grand climax of it all is fast approaching . Its time that all who call upon the name of the LORD
do examine and make sure they are following THE BIBLICAL JESUS and not some other jesus that men taught them .

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The true followers of Christ are hearers and doers of The word .
Thus if JESUS said it they do it . For the love of GOD has truly been shed upon their hearts .
The apostels , i know followed Christ . They took Him at Him at His Word . They too baptized .
IF JESUS said to do we do . For a lamb hears , obeys and follows His every word . They have the SPIRIT
and the SPIRIT is not contrary to the Word . It guides them into all truth .
But many are hearers only , thus that means they have deceived themselves .
The final hour , the grand climax of it all is fast approaching . Its time that all who call upon the name of the LORD
do examine and make sure they are following THE BIBLICAL JESUS and not some other jesus that men taught them .
The issue is when you do not out of appreciation and love, but in order to receive. When you do something to recieve your doing it in The flesh,this is bot a good work, this is called self righteous works

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue is when you do not out of appreciation and love, but in order to receive. When you do something to recieve your doing it in The flesh,this is bot a good work, this is called self righteous works
Yeah , if anyone thinks their works are earning them salvation , they are in serious trouble .
But it is always a good thing to remind folks , as did paul , peter , james , jude and others ,
To flee evil , to do good , to have good works . Its real simple really . it truly is
if JESUS and the apostles said it , THEN we ought to say it too . Which would include every promise and every warning as well .
I mean , it was all spirit inspired . SO let the LORD be praised . There simply is no such thing as too much praise
or too much thanksgiving unto the LORD . Let us learn very well our bibles . Feasting with joy upon every single word .
So on that note i leave us with three words , PRAISE THE LORD .

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah , if anyone thinks their works are earning them salvation , they are in serious trouble .
But it is always a good thing to remind folks , as did paul , peter , james , jude and others ,
To flee evil , to do good , to have good works . Its real simple really . it truly is
if JESUS and the apostles said it , THEN we ought to say it too . Which would include every promise and every warning as well .
I mean , it was all spirit inspired . SO let the LORD be praised . There simply is no such thing as too much praise
or too much thanksgiving unto the LORD . Let us learn very well our bibles . Feasting with joy upon every single word .
So on that note i leave us with three words , PRAISE THE LORD .
Agreed, God said we should be baptized so we should

this thread however is about those who say faith plus baptism (and in the case of some, other works) are required to be saved.

in my view that’s another gospel. Which Paul made clear is not a gospel at all.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed, God said we should be baptized so we should

this thread however is about those who say faith plus baptism (and in the case of some, other works) are required to be saved.

in my view that’s another gospel. Which Paul made clear is not a gospel at all.
The thing is that paul did not contradict james and james did not contradict paul .
The fact alone is , YE ARE SAVED BY FAITH . Its just if our faith is dead , well its dead . I had dead faith once .
I could say JESUS saves , but my heart was all about my sin . ALL i wanted was partying , well i wont list all those others sins .
But if we profess Christ , yet walk in darkness , we lie . Just like i did .
About baptism . DID you notice phillip and the eunach . THE eunach asked a very simple question .
HE said , what does hinder me from being baptized . AND take note what phililp said . IF YE BELIEVE
Its not the actual baptism that saves one , though as i said they are connected , due to we do as JESUS said .
ITS THE BELIEF IN CHRIST ALONE that saves . I mean if the act of being baptized saved .
WHY DID phillip STRESS , YE MUST BELEIVE in order TO BE BAPTIZED . Folks mess up the simpliest of things at times .

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope I did not omit anything. I just posted what John said. Is it your bias that you can’t show Me where the word baptize is in the verses I posted?

So you wish to be saved by YOUR PET VERSE ... even though I showed you where baptism is required.

News Flash: Repentance is NOT mentioned in your PET VERSE either, but like baptism it is very much required.

Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved...

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

If you told someone who wanted to drive from Tampa to Los Angeles, to take I-75 north, you would not have spoken a lie. However, if that is all you told them, they may never make it to Los Angeles. People need TRUTH, but they need TRUTH in its ENTIRETY in order to make it to Heaven!

And YOU are giving only part truth! You say to believe, and that is correct. But that is not all that is required.

Peter said to the people...

Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you wish to be saved by YOUR PET VERSE ... even though I showed you where baptism is required.
pet verse? I showed you many verses which show me how to be saved, baptism was never required

your the one with a pet verse my friend
News Flash: Repentance is NOT mentioned in your PET VERSE either, but like baptism it is very much required.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

If you told someone who wanted to drive from Tampa to Los Angeles, to take I-75 north, you would not have spoken a lie. However, if that is all you told them, they may never make it to Los Angeles. People need TRUTH, but they need TRUTH in its ENTIRETY in order to make it to Heaven!

And YOU are giving only part truth! You say to believe, and that is correct. But that is not all that is required.

Peter said to the people...

Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Ah, but NO ONE will come to faith unless they repent, until they repent they will remain in unbelief.

but if baptism was required it would need to be said in every verse, it can not just be assumed, remember back then they did not have the whole Bible what if they just read John and never had acts, they would go to hell because they did not get baptized for salvation? But just got baptized out of obedience to God?

the word water is not mentioned in mark 16, hence to assume it means water, well that would be a mistake

in acts 2. No one recieved the gift of the spirit because of baptism, in fact in the greek the two terms are unrelated,

Baptism is in reference to remission of sin, the word which connects them is Eis.. in Greek as well as english eis (for) has multiple meanings

I can go to the store for food (in order to receive)
I Can call the doctor for my daughter (on her behalf)
I can take medicine for my illness (on account of the fact I am already sick)

so to say baptism is required for remission of sin, or to say baptism is done on account of the fact you already received remission of sin are both possible

now using logical thinking, if the gift of the spirit was granted only because of repentance, and there is no gift apart from remission of sin, then baptism has to be done because remission was recieved,

which is why Peter only told individuals to get baptized. And as the passage says, those who believed (hence were saved because they repented to faith) were baptized.

Its all simple if you just study the passage

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, but NO ONE will come to faith unless they repent, until they repent they will remain in unbelief. but if baptism was required it would need to be said in every verse

Why in the name of all sanity would a NON BELIEVER repent ... Whew!!!
Hearing the Word comes first, then repentance.

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

You then say, "if baptism was required it would need to be said in every verse"

That is NOT the way God's Word is laid out. We all know (yourself excluded) that repentance and baptism is absolutely vital for salvation but it is not mentioned in every salvation verse. However, that is the beauty of Acts 2:38

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why in the name of all sanity would a NON BELIEVER repent ... Whew!!!
Hearing the Word comes first, then repentance.

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

You then say, "if baptism was required it would need to be said in every verse"

That is NOT the way God's Word is laid out. We all know (yourself excluded) that repentance and baptism is absolutely vital for salvation but it is not mentioned in every salvation verse. However, that is the beauty of Acts 2:38

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
1. If an unbeliever does not repent he is still an unbeliever

2. if he repents, he will receive the gift of the spirit

Funny how you ignored my post and went straight to an English translation

I expect this from you all by now so it is no suprise

it just proves to me even more I am correct.

thank you

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. If an unbeliever does not repent he is still an unbeliever

Lets run this by you one more time ... Hearing the Word comes first, then repentance.

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Or would you prefer this scenario...

Excuse me sir, do you believe in God?
No, i dont! (the man replies)
You must first repent and then you will believe.

Whew!!!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets run this by you one more time ... Hearing the Word comes first, then repentance.

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Or would you prefer this scenario...

Excuse me sir, do you believe in God?
No, i dont! (the man replies)
You must first repent and then you will believe.

Whew!!!
Oh boy

Repentance comes from more than just hearing my friend, but how else would you repent?

Your trying to distract from the conversation, but trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, who would ever think someone could repent without hearing the word!

just like who would ever think someone receive the gift of the spirit without true saving faith. And who would ever come to true saving faith without true repentance?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No contradiction at all and those passages of scripture do no negate (Acts 3:19; 4:4; 5:14; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 13:39; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18)
Peter commend them to be baptized in Acts 2 and 10.

Phillip commands the eunuch to be baptized in Acts 8.

Paul commands them to be baptized in Acts 19.

You command folks to ignore baptism in the 32 chapter of your imagination.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh boy

Repentance comes from more than just hearing my friend, but how else would you repent?

Your trying to distract from the conversation, but trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, who would ever think someone could repent without hearing the word!

just like who would ever think someone receive the gift of the spirit without true saving faith. And who would ever come to true saving faith without true repentance?
Let the King be praised . Remember what paul also said , Or do you despise the goodness of GOD which LEADS one to repentance .
OH YES . It was indeed the work of GOD that even caused us to repent and to believe . Faith really does come by hearing
and hearing by the Word . But how can one even hear , UNLESS GOD OPENS THE EAR TO HEAR . Ponder that one .
Yep . Its no marvel that is says you are saved by grace and not that of yourselves .
JESUS also told the unbelieving jews to marvel not , NO man can come unto me , LEST the FATHER DRAWS HIM .
SO , on that note , i say LEAP UP AND LET THE LORD BE PRAISED . And let us be always thankful unto HIM .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am contradicting Acts 2, 8, 10 and 19?

Shall I debunk them because I hate water baptism for the remission of sins like you guys?
There is a problem within especially this generation . And that is this , any time one reminds one to DO something
they get seen as legalistic . When in truth even JESUS said be ye hearers and Doers .
And the apostles constantly warned to DO and often what NOT TO DO . Were they all legalistic . NO .
WE ought to be water baptized . We ought to heed EVERYTHING JESUS taught and the apostels did teach .
And telling folks , reminding folks to DO , is not being legalistic as this generation often accuses us of being .
Folks forget that the SPIRIT actually STILL works through the body . AND the SPIRIT would be prompting us
, reminding us to be hearers and doers and having us to remind others the same as well .

Reactions: Truther

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am contradicting Acts 2, 8, 10 and 19?

Shall I debunk them because I hate water baptism for the remission of sins like you guys?

I was baptized in water BECAUSE i recieved remission of sin

You cant debunk anything, you just need to translate correctly. and in a way they agree with everything John and Jesus said in the gospel of John.

Reactions: Helen

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a problem within especially this generation . And that is this , any time one reminds one to DO something
they get seen as legalistic . When in truth even JESUS said be ye hearers and Doers .
And the apostles constantly warned to DO and often what NOT TO DO . Were they all legalistic . NO .reformers instead.
WE ought to be water baptized . We ought to heed EVERYTHING JESUS taught and the apostels did teach .
And telling folks , reminding folks to DO , is not being legalistic as this generation often accuses us of being .
Folks forget that the SPIRIT actually STILL works through the body . AND the SPIRIT would be prompting us
, reminding us to be hearers and doers and having us to remind others the same as well .
Amen. We are living in perilous times.

Even Christians hate Acts 2:38 and draw swords against it.

The Apostles would have been infuriated to see their commands debunked by crafty seminarians, that are really in a "law school" to spend 8 years debunking the 1st century church and cleaving to modern "reformers" like Moody etc.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was baptized in water BECAUSE i recieved remission of sin

You cant debunk anything, you just need to translate correctly. and in a way they agree with everything John and Jesus said in the gospel of John.
Nope...for the remission of sins.

Also, if the name of Jesus was not spoken over you upon your baptism your sins remain unto this day.

Obey Acts 2:38....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter commend them to be baptized in Acts 2 and 10.

Phillip commands the eunuch to be baptized in Acts 8.

Paul commands them to be baptized in Acts 19.

You command folks to ignore baptism in the 32 chapter of your imagination.

7AEDF6FA-D018-44D3-9598-1264F64A4682_4_5005_c.jpeg