Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because one of the flavors of OSAS are, repentence is not necessary.

And no, I don't believe in the never saved to begin with excuse.
That’s not true

true osas does not teach this.

please do not try to set these licentious believers in the same mold, that’s a mistake to,reject eternal life because a few people turn gods grace to licentiousness

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
please do not try to set these licentious believers in the same mold, that’s a mistake to,reject eternal life because a few people turn gods grace to licentiousness

I didn't try to do any such thing, as a matter of fact, I clearly mentioned there were different flavors.

So, you agree there are different molds of OSAS, and though I feel it is all false teaching, please explain your particular flavor.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't try to do any such thing, as a matter of fact, I clearly mentioned there were different flavors.

So, you agree there are different molds of OSAS, and though I feel it is all false teaching, please explain your particular flavor.
No I do not agree

there is one mold of OSAS. we teach salvation by grace through TRUE faith in Christ

Then their is the licentious crowd. Which teaches one does not have to repent. just say some sinners prayer and presto your saved forever.

Then there are the legalists. WHo believe in salvation by grace plus some form of works

those are the three gospels through history.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's touch on that one.

Please read From Matthew 25:31–46 and anwer one simple question for me.

Can we go to heaven without doing the works (taking care of the poor and such) that Jesus mentioned in that scripture?
Let’s look at it

does someone who places their faith in someone never do what they say, or do they do what they say?

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent (Change you thinking to match Gods, so you can come to true saving faith in Christ), and and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit the washing (baptism) and(As you will receive renewal (new birth) of the HS titus 3: 5 as by one spirit (the HS) you are baptized into Christ (1 cor 12) and have been baptized into his burial and death where your sins were washed away (rom 6)) and let every one of you be Baptized (Immersed in water) in the Name of Jesus Christ for (on account of the fact you have received) remission of sin

Goodness look how you need to butcher Acts2:38 to have salvation YOUR OWN WAY.
You had to rearrange the order of the verse as well ... whew!!!

This is what Peter said...
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

lets not forget these...

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goodness look how you need to butcher Acts2:38 to have salvation YOUR OWN WAY.
You had to rearrange the order of the verse as well ... whew!!!
I just wrote it as it was said in the greek my friend,
This is what Peter said...
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

lets not forget these...
he said no such thing because he would have contradicted Christ and would have to be anathema for teaching a different gospel

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
no baptism in John 3, if there was then Jesus would have said for god so loved the world whoever believed and gets baptized would have eternal life

mark 16: 16 is most likely spirit baptism, again Jesus did NT contradict himself

acts 22. Again does the word contradict, Jesus said he who believes is not condemned, no mention of baptism, whoever does not believe is condemned already. Again, no mention of baptism.

you want to try to earn grace and recieve a reward, go,ahead, but your indebted to obey every command, to perfection.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New age? Licentiousness has been taught since the time of Christ. Its not new. They are no more saved than a legalist is

Peter would be horrified if he thought people add water baptism because people interpreted his words wrong.
True, but you must admit ....this modernism is ridiculous.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is still nothing new. It happens when we as a culture turn from
Christ. But it is no more ridiculous than legalism. Both or slayers of souls as they will end up dead
Define legalism?

Was Peter considered "legalist" by commanding Acts 2:38?

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just wrote it as it was said in the greek my friend

Lets make sure we are clear for the record. In post #573 YOU wrote...

"Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent (Change you thinking to match Gods, so you can come to true saving faith in Christ), and and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (As you will receive the washing (baptism) and renewal (new birth) of the HS titus 3: 5 as by one spirit (the HS) you are baptized into Christ (1 cor 12) and have been baptized into his burial and death where your sins were washed away (rom 6)) and let every one of you be Baptized (Immersed in water) in the Name of Jesus Christ for (on account of the fact you have received) remission of sin"

I then replied in post #587...

"Goodness look how you need to butcher Acts2:38 to have salvation YOUR OWN WAY.
You had to rearrange the order of the verse as well ... whew!!!"

Whereby you then said...

"I just wrote it as it was said in the greek"

Which now brings me to my reply regarding your deception that the verse written in greek has the order as you claim thus...

"Repent and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit and let every one of you be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ for remission of sin"

This is how the verse is arranged, and by which, the translators properly produced...

2:38 πέτρος δὲ ἔφη πρὸς αὐτούς μετανοήσατε καὶ βαπτισθήτω ἕκαστος ὑμῶν ἐπὶ τῷ ὀνόματι ἰησοῦ χριστοῦ εἰς ἄφεσιν ἁμαρτιῶν καὶ λήψεσθε τὴν δωρεὰν τοῦ ἁγίου πνεύματος 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

These are supporting scripture for Acts 2:38...

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets make sure we are clear for the record. In post #573 YOU wrote...

"Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent (Change you thinking to match Gods, so you can come to true saving faith in Christ), and and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (As you will receive the washing (baptism) and renewal (new birth) of the HS titus 3: 5 as by one spirit (the HS) you are baptized into Christ (1 cor 12) and have been baptized into his burial and death where your sins were washed away (rom 6)) and let every one of you be Baptized (Immersed in water) in the Name of Jesus Christ for (on account of the fact you have received) remission of sin"

I then replied in post #587...

"Goodness look how you need to butcher Acts2:38 to have salvation YOUR OWN WAY.
You had to rearrange the order of the verse as well ... whew!!!"

Whereby you then said...

"I just wrote it as it was said in the greek"

Which now brings me to my reply regarding your deception that the verse written in greek has the order as you claim thus...

"Repent and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit and let every one of you be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ for remission of sin"

This is how the verse is arranged, and by which, the translators properly produced...

2:38 πέτρος δὲ ἔφη πρὸς αὐτούς μετανοήσατε καὶ βαπτισθήτω ἕκαστος ὑμῶν ἐπὶ τῷ ὀνόματι ἰησοῦ χριστοῦ εἰς ἄφεσιν ἁμαρτιῶν καὶ λήψεσθε τὴν δωρεὰν τοῦ ἁγίου πνεύματος 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

These are supporting scripture for Acts 2:38...

Peter told everyone to repent (2nd person plural) The gift of the spirit relates to this verse (also 2nd person plural)

Be baptized is in 3rd person singular. It was not a command given to everyone, It was only given to induviduals. To find out who the individuals are. We read the text. Eis the remission of sin

Since the gift of the spirit is based on the command to repent ONLY, and remission of sin is REQUIRED for the gift of the spirit to be granted. We can properly interpret that fact that the command to be baptised is given to those who repented, and because of that repentance received remission of sin (For by Grace you have been saved. not of works)

And peter acknowledges this FACT, when he said, AND those who BELIEVE (faith based on repentance) WERE BAPTIZED

Spin it however you want. Your trying to replace the baptism of the spirit with the baptism of a sinner, a man, not in Jesus death or even Christ himself, but in water. The scripture warms of trying to give credit to someone else the work of the HS. I would take heed

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Define legalism?

Was Peter considered "legalist" by commanding Acts 2:38?
Legalism is stating salvation is earned by works. Be it works of the law. Works of the flesh, Or any work

As paul said in romans 4. If we are found by works, we incur debt, Not salvation. And we can also boast. because we take credit, when all credit must go to God. We work for a wage, Salvation (justification or to be declared righteous) comes via grace an unearned gift.

Your interpretation of acts 2 states that man must EARN his justification (redemption of sin) by the WORK of water baptism. Hence, a person who is baptized can BOAST of his baptism, by this defenition. YOUR INTERPRETATION of acts 2: 38 is legalism. It is a different gospel. The ones in galations added circumcision (representing physical cleansing) to the gospel of grace and paul condemned them. Here you are adding physical baptism (representing physical cleansing in water) to the gospel. And you think you are not just like the false teachers anathema's in Galatia? and you do not teach a different gospel.

all I can do is pray for you

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter told everyone to repent (2nd person plural) The gift of the spirit relates to this verse (also 2nd person plural)

Be baptized is in 3rd person singular. It was not a command given to everyone, It was only given to induviduals. To find out who the individuals are. We read the text. Eis the remission of sin

Since the gift of the spirit is based on the command to repent ONLY, and remission of sin is REQUIRED for the gift of the spirit to be granted. We can properly interpret that fact that the command to be baptised is given to those who repented, and because of that repentance received remission of sin (For by Grace you have been saved. not of works)

And peter acknowledges this FACT, when he said, AND those who BELIEVE (faith based on repentance) WERE BAPTIZED

Spin it however you want. Your trying to replace the baptism of the spirit with the baptism of a sinner, a man, not in Jesus death or even Christ himself, but in water. The scripture warms of trying to give credit to someone else the work of the HS. I would take heed

All that blathering is a poor attempt to justify your deception.
God's word is forever settled in heaven. And His word will stand with, or without your obedience to it...

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
[38] Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
[39] For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All that blathering is a poor attempt to justify your deception.
God's word is forever settled in heaven. And His word will stand with, or without your obedience to it...

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
[38] Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
[39] For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Your right it will

and Peter never told anyone to be baptized to recieve the Hs. You can keep repeating the same thing a million times it will not make it so,

By the way, I never in my life have been against baptism, I was baptized myself at the age of 7, and have been witness to many wonderful professions of faith and seen many come to Christ because of this beautiful ceremony. My only purpose is to try to help spread the gospel. And as paul try to correct those who add to the gospel in hopes that they may repent

but from what I have witnessed, once a persons mind is fixed, there is prety much nothing yu can do

Reactions: mailmandan

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Legalism is stating salvation is earned by works. Be it works of the law. Works of the flesh, Or any work

As paul said in romans 4. If we are found by works, we incur debt, Not salvation. And we can also boast. because we take credit, when all credit must go to God. We work for a wage, Salvation (justification or to be declared righteous) comes via grace an unearned gift.

Your interpretation of acts 2 states that man must EARN his justification (redemption of sin) by the WORK of water baptism. Hence, a person who is baptized can BOAST of his baptism, by this defenition. YOUR INTERPRETATION of acts 2: 38 is legalism. It is a different gospel. The ones in galations added circumcision (representing physical cleansing) to the gospel of grace and paul condemned them. Here you are adding physical baptism (representing physical cleansing in water) to the gospel. And you think you are not just like the false teachers anathema's in Galatia? and you do not teach a different gospel.

all I can do is pray for you
You skipped Acts 2:38(again).

You hijacked a letter written to the saved saints(Romans).

The Apostles know what Trump had to deal with by being taken out of context and misrepresented.

The works of keeping the Law of Moses were the subject matter.

You banished repentance and baptism in Jesus name in the process of banishing the Law.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You skipped Acts 2:38(again).

You hijacked a letter written to the saved saints(Romans).

The Apostles know what Trump had to deal with by being taken out of context and misrepresented.

The works of keeping the Law of Moses were the subject matter.

You banished repentance and baptism in Jesus name in the process of banishing the Law.
Nope

No one will be saved unless they repent. SO continue to lie about what I have stated numerous times here in this very thread. and you just expose yourself as a sinner.

2nd, I just interpret acts 2 correctly

Face it man you making a whole gospel based on one verse. The bible has 32, 102 verses.

I would recommend you read the rest of them and stop focusing on one.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope

No one will be saved unless they repent. SO continue to lie about what I have stated numerous times here in this very thread. and you just expose yourself as a sinner.

2nd, I just interpret acts 2 correctly

Face it man you making a whole gospel based on one verse. The bible has 32, 102 verses.

I would recommend you read the rest of them and stop focusing on one.
What is the correct understanding of this?....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the correct understanding of this?....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
dude. we have been over this 1000 times

PETER DID NOT SAY IT AS WRITTEN

You can deny it all you want. But you will be responsible to how you interpret it.

My conscious is clear. I have done what was required. I studied, I tested every spirit. I am secure.