Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are obsessed with modern fake Greek redefinitions.

You need your KJV and a statement of faith.

You obviously will find the latest "truth" in the latest and greatest "scholar", but do a background check on them first.
You are obsessed with water baptism

just like the jews were obsessed with circumcision, trying to add it as a requirment

paul destroyed their gospel, And while doing it, destroyed your gospel. By showing us it is the baptism of the Holy Spirit, the spiritual circumcision done by the hand of God not the hand of man that removed what is against us nailing it to the cross.

you want legalism, you want credit, God will give you no credit, it is him by grace or works

you chose works, good luck

Reactions: mailmandan

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance does not need to be mentioned in those verses in the book of John because repentance “precedes” saving belief. *See (Matthew 21:32; Mark 1:15; Acts 20:21) and notice the order.*

In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism. (Acts 10:47)

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18) *Perfect Harmony* :)
Skipping repentance to be saved is not salvation.

"Except ye repent ye shall all likewise perish...", said Jesus.

"Repent...", said John.

"Repent...", said Peter.

Repent, Dan.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

just like the jews were obsessed with circumcision, trying to add it as a requirment

paul destroyed their gospel, And while doing it, destroyed your gospel. By showing us it is the baptism of the Holy Spirit, the spiritual circumcision done by the hand of God not the hand of man that removed what is against us nailing it to the cross.

you want legalism, you want credit, God will give you no credit, it is him by grace or works

Yes, since Jesus in Mark 16:16 said "baptism to be saved".

And Peter said in Acts 2:38 that "baptism is for the remission of sins".

I am guilty of insisting that baptism is "essential to salvation".

I am obsessed.

Get obsessed with Jesus and Peter, not wishy washy with seminary teachers.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

just like the jews were obsessed with circumcision, trying to add it as a requirment…

"Repent...", said John.

"Repent...", said Peter.

Repent, Dan.
I never skipped repentance and I already repented several years ago when I changed my mind and chose to believe the gospel. You still need to repent and believe the gospel. You still have not placed your faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. Your faith is in “water and works” for salvation.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, since Jesus in Mark 16:16 said "baptism to be saved".

And Peter said in Acts 2:38 that "baptism is for the remission of sins".

I am guilty of insisting that baptism is "essential to salvation".

I am obsessed.

Get obsessed with Jesus and Peter, not wishy washy with seminary teachers.
Yeah you are

working to earn your salvation

replacing baptism of the spirit with baptism of man

good luck my friend. I leave you to your reward

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Repent...", said John.

"Repent...", said Peter.

Repent, Dan.
You have a reading comprehension problem. He never stated anything about slipping repentance.

you should be ashamed for your slander

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now why do you suppose there was a delay for the Samaritans to receive the Holy Spirit here in Acts 8? This was the exception and not the rule. There was animosity that existed between Jews and Samaritans, so it may very well have been essential for the Samaritans to receive the Holy Spirit in the presence of the Jews by the apostles and authentic God's purpose and maintain a unified church.

Notice that these Gentiles believed, received the gift of the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues (spiritual gift which is only for the body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12) and were saved all BEFORE water baptism.

False.

They were commanded to be baptized in Acts 10:48 AFTER they believed, received the gift of the Holy Spirit, spoke in tongues and were saved BEFORE water baptism.

False. The new birth is signified, but not procured in baptism.

In regards to "water" in John 3:5, Jesus mentions "living water" in John 4:10, 14; 7:37-39 and in John 7:38-39, we read - "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. But this He spoke concerning the Spirit. Did you see that? The Holy Spirit is the source of living water and spiritual cleansing. If "water" is arbitrarily defined as baptism, then we could just as justifiably say, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living baptism" in John 7:38. If this sounds ridiculous, it is no more so than the idea that water baptism is the source or the means of becoming born again.

Also "water" is used in the Bible as an emblem of the word of God, and in such uses it is associated with cleansing or washing. (John 15:3; Ephesians 5:26) When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begets new life, divine life, so that we are said to become "partakers of the divine nature." (2 Peter 1:4) The new birth is brought to pass through "incorruptible seed, by the word of God, which lives and abides forever" (I Peter 1:23) and the Holy Spirit accomplishes the miracle of regeneration. (Titus 3:5) So to automatically read "baptism" into John 3:5 simply because it mentions "water" is unwarranted.

As I previously stated, in Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

Excellent article on Acts 22:16 - WHAT IS TRUTH: Acts 22:16--Baptism Essential for Salvation?

Jamison, Fausset, and Brown Commentary makes not of the importance of the Greek in Ananias' statement. When Ananias tells Paul to "arise, be baptized, wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord," the tense of the last command is literally "having called" (aorist middle participle). "Calling on [epikalesamenos] --- 'having (that is, after having) called on,' referring the confession of Christ which preceded baptism." [Jamison, Fausset, and Brown Commentary, vol. 3 pg. 160]. Kenneth Wuest picks up on this Greek nuance and translates the verse as follows: "And now, why are you delaying? Having arisen, be baptized and wash away your sins, having previously called upon His Name." (Acts 22:16, Wuest's Expanded NT).

Water and blood constitute external witness to who Jesus was. The Father and the Holy Spirit testified to the Son at His baptism (Matthew 3:16-17) and the death of Jesus by shedding His blood also gave witness of who He was. This has nothing to do with the false doctrine of baptismal regeneration.

There goes your train wreck "hermeneutics" again. lets take a look at post #610 whereby YOU stated...

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the one requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

I had replied Repentance is NOT mentioned in your PET VERSES either, but like baptism it is very much required.
The same Jesus which said to "believe" also said...

Luke 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Mark 16:16 "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved..."

You then say in post #620...

Now why do you suppose there was a delay for the Samaritans to receive the Holy Spirit here in Acts 8? This was the exception and not the rule. There was animosity that existed between Jews and Samaritans, so it may very well have been essential for the Samaritans to receive the Holy Spirit in the presence of the Jews by the apostles and authentic God's purpose and maintain a unified church.

Your so-called "exception and not the rule" is in deed the rule. Acts chapter two is the birth of the N.T. church and occurrences which have happened after that will still happen to this day. There will always be "animosity that existed" in regards to the church. And, one of the reasons are people like yourself, which are self proclaimed "hermeneutics" instructors which are clueless to the most basic facts or principles such as being Born Again.

Jesus said Born again is of water and spirit.
Peter said Born again is of water and spirit
Dan says Born again is of "believe" and *POOF* your saved.

Only a pathetic "hermeneutics" instructor would say something so ignorant as YOUR statement in post #610...

"If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26"

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You do realize Paul personally baptized people with water in Corinth and Ephesus like Christ instructed, do you?

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your self proclaimed "hermeneutics" is pathetic. These are the scriptures that YOU gave...
You obviously do not understand how to properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching your conclusion on doctrine.

John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
John 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
John 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
Yes, believeth in Him "apart from additions or modifications." *What happened to baptism? Don't need to ask, "what happened to repentance" because repentance already took place in the process of changing our mind and choosing to believe in Christ unto salvation. Two sides to the same coin.

Now then, I see your brain cant get past "believe."
Repentance is NOT mentioned in your PET VERSES either, but like baptism it is very much required.
The same Jesus which said to "believe" also said...
If water baptism was absolutely required for salvation, then God would not make so many statements in which He promises salvation/eternal life to those who simply BELIEVE.. (Luke 8:12; John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 5:24; 6:40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31; Romans 1:16; 4:5; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; 1 John 5:13 etc..).

Luke 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
If we don't repent then we will not believe the gospel and become saved. Repent "change of mind" - (new direction of that change of mind) - believe the gospel. Two sides to the same coin.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved...

Acts 2:38 encapsulates all of the above:
I already previously explained John 3:5; Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38 to you in posts #610 #618 and #620 and these passages of scripture do not support the heretical doctrine of baptismal regeneration.

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart (they now believe), and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
In Acts 2:37, their "belief" at this point was "mental assent" that Jesus was the Messiah and they were guilty of crucifying Him. That is not saving belief yet. They still lacked trust and reliance in Jesus Christ alone for salvation and that's why they still needed to repent and further (change their mind) to the point in which they place their faith in Christ alone for salvation.

*The link to this article below may very well be the reason why you are having a difficult time understanding this:

Faith and Repentance

Once again, in Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism. (Acts 10:47)

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18) *Perfect Harmony* :)

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never skipped repentance and I already repented several years ago when I changed my mind and chose to believe the gospel. You still need to repent and believe the gospel. You still have not placed your faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. Your faith is in “water and works” for salvation.
You have repentance in the wrong order.

Here is the correct order to qualify for baptism per the remission of sins....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah you are

working to earn your salvation

replacing baptism of the spirit with baptism of man

good luck my friend. I leave you to your reward
This was the baptism of man?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Peter replaced Spirit baptism here?

Where did you get that idea?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a reading comprehension problem. He never stated anything about slipping repentance.

you should be ashamed for your slander
Should a person repent to qualify for baptism for the remission of sins per this verse?...

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have repentance in the wrong order.

Here is the correct order to qualify for baptism per the remission of sins....

Repentance precedes saving belief in Christ which precedes baptism. (Acts 10:43-47) Go back and read post #630 again and be sure to check out the article from the link below:

Faith and Repentance

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should a person repent to qualify for baptism for the remission of sins per this verse?...

you still misrepresented what he said

Own up to your error my friend

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance precedes saving belief in Christ which precedes baptism. (Acts 10:43-47) Go back and read post #630 again and be sure to check out the article from the link below:

Faith and Repentance
Acts 2:38 says water baptism is for the remission of sins. There is no verse that says remission of sins is prior to Acts 2:38.

Jesus said that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name beginning in Jerusalem as we see per 1st mentioned by the man with the keys in Acts 2:38.

I think you have everything backwards.

Since you have skipped Acts 2:38, you cannot understand it. I can see why.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we don't repent then we will not believe the gospel and become saved. Repent "change of mind" - (new direction of that change of mind) - believe the gospel. Two sides to the same coin.

I already previously explained John 3:5; Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38 to you in posts #610 #618 and #620 and these passages of scripture do not support the heretical doctrine of baptismal regeneration.

In Acts 2:37, their "belief" at this point was "mental assent" that Jesus was the Messiah and they were guilty of crucifying Him. That is not saving belief yet. They still lacked trust and reliance in Jesus Christ alone for salvation and that's why they still needed to repent and further (change their mind) to the point in which they place their faith in Christ alone for salvation.

*The link to this article below may very well be the reason why you are having a difficult time understanding this:

Faith and Repentance

Once again, in Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

Really ... is that so? lets take a look:

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Now then, according to YOUR testimony, this should read...

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing(repentance), and hearing by the word of God.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God(repentance) is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really ... is that so? lets take a look:

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Now then, according to YOUR testimony, this should read...

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing(repentance), and hearing by the word of God.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God(repentance) is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Straw man argument and yes, it's so. How do you think people come to faith without first changing their mind in the process? Acts 20:21 - testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. *Notice the order.