Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus told Nicodemus, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God (John 3:5).
...AND OF THE....

Not, "he that is born of his mother's broken water" to enter into the kingdom...how moronic of a statement would Jesus have made if that was the case.

These folks are literally calling Jesus a moron.

Imagine Jesus saying you have to be born(baptized) in your mothers fluid after breaking her water sac and get the Spirit to enter the kingdom of God.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus told Nicodemus, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God (John 3:5).

What did John mean by "born of water and born of the Spirit?

"Born of water" is the natural birth, in contrast to "born of the Spirit" which is the spiritual birth.

Neither have anything to do with water baptism!

Reactions: Jim B

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Born of water" is the natural birth, in contrast to "born of the Spirit" which is the spiritual birth.

Jesus wasn't referring to amniotic fluid since everyone on the planet has been born of a mother's womb (that would not have been need said).

"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved..." (Mark 16:16)

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus wasn't referring to amniotic fluid since everyone on the planet has been born of a mother's womb (that would not have been need said).

Jesus must not have got the memo. When he told nicodemus HOW to be born again, He did not mention baptism at all

10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things? 11 Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 1

not one mention of baptism. Why did Jesus make such a huge mistake if water was baptism?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To add anything to faith in what Christ did on the Cross is saying that wasn't enough, I have to do this or that to add to it.

You have no part in your salvation but to believe!

Believing you must have faith AND be water baptized is playing a part in your salvation. You have taken Grace and Mercy into your own hands and that is self-righteousness, which God will not accept.

You are taking scripture out of context, thereby playing a role in your salvation. It's all Christ and none of you. You have voided Grace and Mercy by requiring an action of your own for salvation.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus must not have got the memo. When he told nicodemus HOW to be born again, He did not mention baptism at all

10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things? 11 Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 1

not one mention of baptism. Why did Jesus make such a huge mistake if water was baptism?

Christ's doctrine of the new birth should not have been totally strange to the Jews. He built upon the promise of Ezekiel 36:25-26: "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh."

John himself later used water in a literal way when he spoke of Spirit, water, and blood agreeing in the one purpose of salvation (1 John 5:8)

Regarding the John 3:18 verse you have posted...
"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already..."

Mark 16:16 puts it this way...
"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To add anything to faith in what Christ did on the Cross is saying that wasn't enough, I have to do this or that to add to it.

You have no part in your salvation but to believe!

Believing you must have faith AND be water baptized is playing a part in your salvation. You have taken Grace and Mercy into your own hands and that is self-righteousness, which God will not accept.

You are taking scripture out of context, thereby playing a role in your salvation. It's all Christ and none of you. You have voided Grace and Mercy by requiring an action of your own for salvation.

Paul emphasized justification by faith more than any other writer, yet he strongly insisted that saving faith is inseparably bound up with obedience. He taught that the mystery of God's redemptive plan, the church, has been "made known to all nations for the obedience of faith" (Romans 16:26).

Paul further writes...

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
[4] Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
[5] For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
[6] Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul emphasized justification by faith more than any other writer, yet he strongly insisted that saving faith is inseparably bound up with obedience. He taught that the mystery of God's redemptive plan, the church, has been "made known to all nations for the obedience of faith" (Romans 16:26).

Paul further writes...

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
[4] Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
[5] For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
[6] Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Paul is not speaking of water baptism when he said, "we are baptized into Christ."

He is speaking of being spiritually baptized into Christ, in Christ not water!

This is the "regeneration" Paul speaks of, the spiritual baptism into Christ at the point of believing, the new birth.

The idea is that we were placed in Christ the moment we believe, we took part in His death, burial, and resurrection and now a new creature in Christ by faith in what He did for us.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Absolutely correct! It astonishes me that people can misinterpret this to mean water baptism.

Reactions: Charlie24

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus said one must break his mother's water to be saved?

Is that what Christendom teaches?

Do they insult Jesus like that?

Looks like those that are born by C section are not saved.

Trippy.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said one must break his mother's water to be saved?

Is that what Christendom teaches?

Do they insult Jesus like that?

Looks like those that are born by C section are not saved.

Trippy.

Jesus was comparing the natural birth to the spiritual birth.

One must be born to live this life, and one must be reborn to enter into heaven.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was comparing the natural birth to the spiritual birth.

One must be born to live this life, and one must be reborn to enter into heaven.
C section births don't cause the water to break.

Those folks are not born of the water per John 3 per your logic.

Those folks cannot enter into the kingdom.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of HIS MOTHER'S AMNIOTIC FLUID and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Wow, this is what Acts skippers teach!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
C section births don't cause the water to break.

Those folks are not born of the water per John 3 per your logic.

Those folks cannot enter into the kingdom.

I'm not a doctor but I believe every human born in this world comes out of a sack of water.

This is the natural birth through water.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I will start an "Acts Skippers Bible".

This will be fun.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a doctor but I believe every human born in this world comes out of a sack of water.

This is the natural birth through water.
So Jesus said this?...

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of HIS MOTHER'S AMNIOTIC FLUID and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Wow, this is what Acts skippers teach!

Except a man be born of water AND of the Spirit........

See the comparison? The focus is entering into the Kingdom of God.

Man born of water must be reborn to enter the Kingdom.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except a man be born of water AND of the Spirit........

See the comparison? The focus is entering into the Kingdom of God.

Man born of water must be reborn to enter the Kingdom.
You cannot be reborn unless you die and are buried in baptism per Roman 6.