Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truther

You also need to take under consideration that Peter was NOT talking about Initial Salvation for the Gentile in Acts of the Apostles 2:38. All of the believers at Pentecost were Jewish believers in God and they knew Scripture. Jews already believe in God. So this was a call back to repentance to the Jew and for them to recognize their Messiah. That’s the context. So unless you are a Jew living during that time, and you needed to recognize Jesus was your Messiah and you needed to seek forgiveness with the Lord, then this message cannot be applied to you today.

Also, after the cross: If you were to look at the first Gentile encounter (Cornelius and his family): You would see that the Spirit came upon Cornelius and his household before Peter could even water baptize them.

In addition, Acts 18, and Acts 19 also give us some good evidence that Spirit baptism is what has replaced water baptism, as well. For…

Acts of the Apostles 18:24-26 says, And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John. And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.”​

In short, Aquila and Priscilla (who were taught by Paul) expounded the Word of God more perfectly unto Apollos because he only knew of John’s baptism of water. Apollos needed to learn of Spirit baptism (Which is the true New Covenant way of being baptized).

Acts of the Apostles 19:1-7 says, “And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. And all the men were about twelve.”​

In other words, the believers at Ephesus only knew of John’s baptism of water, and they were not aware of the Holy Ghost. So Paul baptized them into the Holy Ghost by laying his hands on them. So they received the baptism of the Spirit.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truther

1. Mark 16:16 says: “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.” If one believes Ephesians 2:8-9, and they also believe that water baptism is for salvation: Well, this is a problem if they are claiming that believers are initially and foundationally saved by God’s grace and not of works according to Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:3-5, and Titus 3:5. For if baptism is a work we must do to be saved by God’s grace or as a part of the gospel, then it nullifies the first aspect in the salvation process in being saved by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ without the deeds of the Law. Thus, when Jesus refers to baptism here to be saved he is referring to the baptism of the Holy Spirit (Which takes place every time a person accepts Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior). The Holy Spirit is a part of our salvation (See: Romans 8:9, Romans 8:11, and Romans 8:13; Ephesians 1:13-14).

2. The Holy Spirit is compared to water; Water baptism (an OT ritual) is a picture that points ahead to the true baptism (i.e. Spirit baptism). Jesus told the woman at the well, “Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.” (John 4:13-14). So what is this living water that Jesus talks about that is like a well of water springing up into everlasting life? John 7 gives us the answer. “He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given ; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)“ (John 7:38-39). In other words, the Holy Spirit is the living waters that can live in a person that Jesus was talking about with the woman at the well.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truther

1. 1 Corinthians 6:11 says, “And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.” This shows that when we accept Jesus as our Savior, our hearts our WASHED (like with water) and sanctified by the Spirit of God (i.e. the Holy Spirit). We are born again, and we have a new heart with new desires. We have become baptized by the Spirit. .......................………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...........................................................................................
  2. Ezekiel 36:25-27 says,
    [25] Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. [26] A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. [27] And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.” This clean water that is sprinkled upon them so that they would be clean is referring to the immersion (baptism) of the Holy Spirit when and when we receive a new heart with new desires (become born again). This water is not water baptism but Spirit baptism that transforms a person’s life.
    .......................……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….....…………………………………………………………...................................

3. Ephesians 1:13 says,
    “In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,” This lets us know that by hearing the gospel, we are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise. This is being immersed into the Spirit for the first time sort of like with Cornelius and his household (Note: This does not mean we will speak in tongues, but we will have a change of the heart and a peace like never before).

Last edited:

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truther

You also need to take under consideration that Peter was NOT talking about Initial Salvation for the Gentile in Acts of the Apostles 2:38. All of the believers at Pentecost were Jewish believers in God and they knew Scripture. Jews already believe in God. So this was a call back to repentance to the Jew and for them to recognize their Messiah. That’s the context. So unless you are a Jew living during that time, and you needed to recognize Jesus was your Messiah and you needed to seek forgiveness with the Lord, then this message cannot be applied to you today.

Also, after the cross: If you were to look at the first Gentile encounter (Cornelius and his family): You would see that the Spirit came upon Cornelius and his household before Peter could even water baptize them.

In addition, Acts 18, and Acts 19 also give us some good evidence that Spirit baptism is what has replaced water baptism, as well. For…

Acts of the Apostles 18:24-26 says, And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John. And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.”​

In short, Aquila and Priscilla (who were taught by Paul) expounded the Word of God more perfectly unto Apollos because he only knew of John’s baptism of water. Apollos needed to learn of Spirit baptism (Which is the true New Covenant way of being baptized).

Acts of the Apostles 19:1-7 says, “And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. And all the men were about twelve.”​

In other words, the believers at Ephesus only knew of John’s baptism of water, and they were not aware of the Holy Ghost. So Paul baptized them into the Holy Ghost by laying his hands on them. So they received the baptism of the Spirit.

Paul went up to Jerusalem after a number of years to see if what he was preaching by revelation was the same thing as Peter and the rest of the Apostles were preaching.

Galatians Chapter One (KJV)
13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how
that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.
15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,
16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.
19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.
20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not.
21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia;
22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ:
23 But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed.
24 And they glorified God in me.

Galatians Chapter 2 (KJV)
1 Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also.
2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I
preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.
3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:
4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came
in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:
5 To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.
6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me:
7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the
grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.

The "original" First Century Jerusalem Apostles Doctrine and Acts 2:38 Plan of Salvation was uniformly preached, practiced and taught in the Church Jesus established.

Ephesians Chapter 4 (KJV)
1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Jude 1:3 (KJV)
Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not your biased interpretation of Acts 2:38.

I have cited Acts 3:19; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 26:18 numerous times in our discussions. All you do is cite Acts 2:38 and skip the rest.

There is not more than one plan of salvation in scripture. Salvation has always been through FAITH/BELIEF. (John 3:15,16,18; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:2-6; Ephesians 2:8 etc..).

You confess daily to get saved over and over again daily? o_O

Romans 10:9,10 refutes your biased interpretation of Acts 2:38.
This has 1 meaning, no interpretation...

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost....

Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)...

Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

"Interpret" means to "rethink" these.

No thanks.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I made excellent points with Scripture that refute your thinking here. If you don’t want to deal with the verses, then by all means.
But 1 Corinthians 1:17 cannot be believed by you in good conscience or with a pure heart if you believe Acts of the Apostles 2:38 is speaking in entirely in literal terms. Repentance (seeking forgiveness with the Lord) is what causes one to have their sins remitted (i.e. salvation to enter the Kingdom), and the baptism part only remitted sin in a symbolic sense (Pointing symbolically or to the likeness of Christ’s death upon the cross - See again Romans 6:3, and compare it with Romans 6:5).
The bottom line, Acts skipper, is that you think this...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Means this...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized BY THE HOLY GHOST, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Which sounds ridiculous.

You preach that in public?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Cornelius and his family receive the gift of the Holy Spirit before they were baptized?

According to Scripture… the answer is yes. They received the Spirit before they were water baptized (Thus proving you don’t need to be water baptized to receive the gift of the Spirit).
The Holy Ghost led them to water baptism in the name of Jesus for their remission of their sins.

It still does today.

For instance, the Holy Ghost is not given to charismatic Catholics today, to vindicate their beliefs, but to lead and guide them to the truth.

Same with Acts skippers.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, he is Catholic. So he takes the Catholic interpretation.
In fact, this would mean he believes in infant baptism (Which is not biblical).
But Biden is not a good Catholic, for he defends abortion (Which is something the Catholic Church condemns). Granted, Catholicism itself is crazier than a bag of cats and is highly unbiblical in many ways. Their traditions attempt to undo the Word of God in many ways.
What I am saying is Acts skippers are as delirious as Biden, thinking Acts 2:38 says this....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and GET THE HOLY GHOST, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Kamala Harris is also in Acts skipper territory with her word salads.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truther

You also need to take under consideration that Peter was NOT talking about Initial Salvation for the Gentile in Acts of the Apostles 2:38.
All of the believers at Pentecost were Jewish believers in God and they knew Scripture. Jews already believe in God. So this was a call back to repentance to the Jew and for them to recognize their Messiah. That’s the context. So unless you are a Jew living during that time, and you needed to recognize Jesus was your Messiah and you needed to seek forgiveness with the Lord, then this message cannot be applied to you today.

No, Acts 10 was the gentiles' turn.

They were commanded to be baptized in the name of the Lord, which goes for gentile Acts skippers too.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truther

1. Mark 16:16 says: “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.” If one believes Ephesians 2:8-9, and they also believe that water baptism is for salvation: Well, this is a problem if they are claiming that believers are initially and foundationally saved by God’s grace and not of works according to Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:3-5, and Titus 3:5. For if baptism is a work we must do to be saved by God’s grace or as a part of the gospel, then it nullifies the first aspect in the salvation process in being saved by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ without the deeds of the Law. Thus, when Jesus refers to baptism here to be saved he is referring to the baptism of the Holy Spirit (Which takes place every time a person accepts Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior). The Holy Spirit is a part of our salvation (See: Romans 8:9, Romans 8:11, and Romans 8:13; Ephesians 1:13-14).

2. The Holy Spirit is compared to water; Water baptism (an OT ritual) is a picture that points ahead to the true baptism (i.e. Spirit baptism). Jesus told the woman at the well, “Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.” (John 4:13-14). So what is this living water that Jesus talks about that is like a well of water springing up into everlasting life? John 7 gives us the answer. “He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given ; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)“ (John 7:38-39). In other words, the Holy Spirit is the living waters that can live in a person that Jesus was talking about with the woman at the well.
The Acts skipper says "he that believeth and is saved, may or may not be baptized according to their personal preference".

The Acts skipper says exactly opposite of what Jesus said at the great commission.

Ick!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truther

1. 1 Corinthians 6:11 says, “And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.” This shows that when we accept Jesus as our Savior, our hearts our WASHED (like with water) and sanctified by the Spirit of God (i.e. the Holy Spirit). We are born again, and we have a new heart with new desires. We have become baptized by the Spirit. .......................………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...........................................................................................
  2. Ezekiel 36:25-27 says,
    [25] Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. [26] A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. [27] And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.” This clean water that is sprinkled upon them so that they would be clean is referring to the immersion (baptism) of the Holy Spirit when and when we receive a new heart with new desires (become born again). This water is not water baptism but Spirit baptism that transforms a person’s life.
    .......................……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….....…………………………………………………………...................................

3. Ephesians 1:13 says,
    “In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,” This lets us know that by hearing the gospel, we are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise. This is being immersed into the Spirit for the first time sort of like with Cornelius and his household (Note: This does not mean we will speak in tongues, but we will have a change of the heart and a peace like never before).
1 Corinthians 6:11 says, “And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

This is Acts 2:38, fella.

And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus(BAPTISM IN THE NAME OF JESUS)...................., and ...........by the Spirit of our God(RENEWED).

"And" means "also".

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This has 1 meaning, no interpretation...
False.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost....
In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism (Acts 10:47).

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony*

Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)...
This was a unique situation for these Samaritans in Acts 8. Receiving the indwelling Holy Spirit was delayed until the apostles laid their hands on them to receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:17). Exception, not the rule (Acts 10:43-47; Ephesians 1:13). The Samaritans believed and were baptized (Acts 8:12), but did not receive the indwelling Holy Spirit until the apostles laid hands on them (Acts 8:17), but were still saved when they believed, which is in harmony with (Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31 etc..).

There was hostility between the Jews and the Samaritans, which may very well explain the delay for the apostles to lay hands on the Samaritan believers before receiving the Holy Spirit in order to confirm God's will and for the sake of unity with the Jews.

Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
These gentiles were water baptized AFTER they believed, received the gift of the Holy Spirit, spoke in tongues (spiritual gift that is ONLY for the body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12) and were saved BEFORE water baptism. (Acts 10:43-47)

Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
In Acs 19:2, Paul asked if they had received the Holy Spirit when they believed and their answer in verse 3 reveals that they were not yet believers. They had received the baptism of John but did not realize that Jesus Christ was the One to whom John's baptism pointed. Paul gave them instructions about Jesus and after they believed Paul's presentation of the gospel and came to saving faith, they were then baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Paul laid hands on them to receive the Holy Spirit (which was not the case in Acts 2 and Acts 10). Apostles were also present when the Samaritans (chapter 8) were included. God's purpose here was to emphasize unity in the church.

"Interpret" means to "rethink" these.
To interpret simply means to explain the meaning. Acts 2:38 must have 1 biased meaning without properly harmonizing scripture with scripture before reaching our conclusion on doctrine? No thanks. That's called flawed hermeneutics.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
False.

In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism (Acts 10:47).

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony*

This was a unique situation for these Samaritans in Acts 8. Receiving the indwelling Holy Spirit was delayed until the apostles laid their hands on them to receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:17). Exception, not the rule (Acts 10:43-47; Ephesians 1:13). The Samaritans believed and were baptized (Acts 8:12), but did not receive the indwelling Holy Spirit until the apostles laid hands on them (Acts 8:17), but were still saved when they believed, which is in harmony with (Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31 etc..).

There was hostility between the Jews and the Samaritans, which may very well explain the delay for the apostles to lay hands on the Samaritan believers before receiving the Holy Spirit in order to confirm God's will and for the sake of unity with the Jews.

These gentiles were water baptized AFTER they believed, received the gift of the Holy Spirit, spoke in tongues (spiritual gift that is ONLY for the body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12) and were saved BEFORE water baptism. (Acts 10:43-47)

In Acs 19:2, Paul asked if they had received the Holy Spirit when they believed and their answer in verse 3 reveals that they were not yet believers. They had received the baptism of John but did not realize that Jesus Christ was the One to whom John's baptism pointed. Paul gave them instructions about Jesus and after they believed Paul's presentation of the gospel and came to saving faith, they were then baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Paul laid hands on them to receive the Holy Spirit (which was not the case in Acts 2 and Acts 10). Apostles were also present when the Samaritans (chapter 8) were included. God's purpose here was to emphasize unity in the church.

To interpret simply means to explain the meaning. Acts 2:38 must have 1 biased meaning without properly harmonizing scripture with scripture before reaching our conclusion on doctrine? No thanks. That's called flawed hermeneutics.
One Acts skipper asks another Acts skipper, "what does this REALLY mean"?....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

"I dunno" exclaims the Acts skipper, "please explain it to me in your thoughts".

"Well, my thoughts are this" says the head Acts skipper...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and RECIEVE THE HOLY GHOST, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

"Or, some say it means this"...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, delete, delete, delete....... for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

"But, that first interpretation makes no literary sense and the second interpretation deleted half the verse" says the pupil Acts skipper.

"No, but you have to get your PHD in seminary to learn how to change the meaning like I did" says the head Acts skipper.

"Oh", says the pupil Acts skipper.

LOL

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One Acts skipper asks another Acts skipper, "what does this REALLY mean"?....

"I dunno" exclaims the Acts skipper, "please explain it to me in your thoughts".

"Well, my thoughts are this" says the head Acts skipper...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and RECIEVE THE HOLY GHOST, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

"Or, some say it means this"...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, delete, delete, delete....... for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

"But, that first interpretation makes no literary sense and the second interpretation deleted half the verse" says the pupil Acts skipper.

"No, but you have to get your PHD in seminary to learn how to change the meaning like I did" says the head Acts skipper.

"Oh", says the pupil Acts skipper.

LOL
It's already been explained to you numerous times, but you are more interested in accommodating your biased church doctrine than you are in properly harmonizing scripture with scripture before reaching your conclusion on doctrine.

Last edited:

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Highlight the part of this passage that shows these murderers were instantaneously saved before the command of Acts 2:38 please?
Again, they were spiritually awaken sinners, who sought instruction. They were new born babes in Christ.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's already been explained to you numerous times, but you are more interested in accommodating your biased church doctrine than you are in properly harmonizing scripture with scripture before reaching your conclusion on doctrine.
Yeah, one fella says Acts 2:38 is not clear, so he says it REALLY means "repent for the remission of sins", skipping the baptism part in the middle of the verse entirely.

Another fella says "repent and receive the Holy Ghost and you shall recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost.

All I can say is Acts skipping takes talent.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, they were spiritually awaken sinners, who sought instruction. They were new born babes in Christ.
Where in the passage do you see that they were saved before OBEYING Acts 2:38?...

36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Where?

Highlight it, please.

Thanks.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Acts skipper says "he that believeth and is saved, may or may not be baptized according to their personal preference".

The Acts skipper says exactly opposite of what Jesus said at the great commission.

Ick!

No. I believe Jesus is saying that he that is baptized shall be saved but I believe our Lord was referring to Spirit baptism and not water baptism.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 6:11 says, “And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

This is Acts 2:38, fella.

And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus(BAPTISM IN THE NAME OF JESUS)...................., and ...........by the Spirit of our God(RENEWED).

"And" means "also".

How on Earth you see water baptism in 1 Corinthians 6:11 is beyond me, friend.

Again, logic dictates that we have to deal with the words of Paul in 1 Corinthians 1:17. Paul says he came not to baptize, but to preach the gospel. Paul was an apostle. Paul said this long after Pentecost. Paul preached primarily to Gentiles. So his words carry more weight on this matter because of these points, and it simply shows that there was a change involving the topic of baptism.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I am saying is Acts skippers are as delirious as Biden, thinking Acts 2:38 says this....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and GET THE HOLY GHOST, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Kamala Harris is also in Acts skipper territory with her word salads.

I explained Acts 2:38 using the Bible. So I am not skipping anything.
I believe Acts 2:38 applied to the Jews during that time (based on Peter’s past experience involving John the baptist’s water baptism even though the Lord changed water baptism to Spirit baptism after His resurrection.).
God can still get the glory, and or accomplish His will even if we may believe or act imperfectly.

I am also not into politics, and even if I was, I wouldn’t be democrat (seeing they hold to policies that are extremely against the Bible).

I also explained to you that Cornelius had received the gift of the Spirit without first being water baptized. You seemed to ignore that point. So you appear to be Acts skipping.

Also, you have to give a believable explanation on 1 Corinthians 1:17, as well. If not, your Corinthians skipping.

Last edited: