Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ poured His Spirit upon them Acts 2:14-21

After the Spirit quickens them to Life, they mourn for him whom they pierced as spoken also by Zech 12:7-10

7 The Lord also shall save the tents of Judah first, that the glory of the house of David and the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem do not magnify themselves against Judah.

8 In that day shall the Lord defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the Lord before them.

9 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.

10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Thats why they were pricked in their heart as per Acts 2:37

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

They were under the control of the Spirit, they were born again, and sought instruction from Gods servants, they had been given repentance.
The Spirit leads and guides into further truth.

The Spirit is not given to vindicate lifestyles and beliefs.

Acts skippers get the Holy Ghost and continue the same crazy beliefs that they previously had and the Spirit can't budge them towards Acts 2:38.

Weird days we are living in.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While Matthew 28, and Mark 16 are both referring to the great commission, and while they both sound similar, they are not exactly saying the same thing precisely.

Matthew 28:18-20 says:
“And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”

Mark 16:15-18 says:
“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.”

Matthew 28 - All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mark 16 - This saying is absent in Mark.

Matthew 28 - Go, and teach all nations.
Mark - Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.
They are similar but not exactly the same.

Being told to go out unto all nations, and to go out into the world are the same.
However, to be told to teach all nations and to preach the gospel to every creature are two different things.
Teaching whatever Jesus commanded them vs. preaching the gospel is a different set of instructions.

Matthew 28 - Teach them to observe all things whatever I commanded you.

Matthew 28 - I am with you always even unto the end of the world.

Mark 16 - These signs shall follow them that believe, in my name they shall cast out devils, they shall speak with new tongues, they shall take up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them, and they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Matthew 28 - This saying is absent in Matthew.

The points on baptism are different in both Matthew and Mark.

Notice.

Matthew 28
Go ye therefore and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Mark 16
Go ye all into the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believes not shall be damned.

The point on baptism is different and not the same.

In Matthew: The point on baptism is on baptizing in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
In Mark: The point on baptism is believing and being baptized to show one is saved, and if one believes not they are damned.

You may disagree, but seeing the points on baptism are different between Matthew, and Mark, I interpret them each differently in regards to their mention on baptism.

In Matthew 28, I believe that the teaching of all nations is to immerse (or wash) them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. The teaching part is what baptizes (i.e. immerses or washes) them in the name (or the authority of) the different persons of the Godhead or Trinity.

In Mark, I believe Jesus is saying that he that believes and is baptized into the Holy Spirit shall be saved. This makes sense because believing happens first and then one is gifted with the Spirit (Spirit baptism) afterwards. The person who does not believe automatically will not be Spirit baptized because of their unbelief. One needs to believe in order to have the gift of the Spirit.
No, Matt 28 and Mark 16 are the same event(along with Luke 24).

The Lord was not reenacting the event in 3 of the 4 gospels, 3 different times.

He did not ascend 3 times.

Get it together over there.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord our God is one God and yet He also exists as three distinct persons.
So in the Trinity (as taught in the Bible), God is not 2 separate entities. The Lord our God is one God. Are two persons of the Godhead mentioned in this verse? Yes. Are two entities mentioned in this verse? No. Anyways, I fail to see how this point proves your case on Acts 2:38.
1 Cor 6:11 speaks of 2 entities...divided by the word "and'.

this is baptismal washing(sanctification in the name of Jesus).... AND.... Spirit filling.

You see it too.

Good.

This has nothing to do with "Godhead".

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that when Jesus says we are to love our enemies, I think he meant human enemies and not the devil.

Yet, you appear to speak about politics at times.
I do my best to stay out of political rants but sometimes I let Tucker Carlson get the best of me.:eek:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t believe it is nitpicking. It’s simply looking at the facts. The Holy Spirit came upon Cornelius without first being water baptized. This proves that the statement in Acts 2:38 is not meant to be a universal unending truth. Acts 10 proves this fact. Meaning, you don’t have to be baptized in order to receive the gift of the Spirit because we know by Scripture that Cornelius and his household received the Spirit without first being water baptized. It does not matter if Cornelius and his household was baptized later. That would be simply an additional thing done despite the Spirit being gifted beforehand.
No, here's what you Acts skippers teach....

"Baptism was in the name of Jesus for the remission of sins specifically in Acts 2, but Peter forgot to mention the remission of sins part during commanding it in Acts 10, so it dropped off".

No kidding, Acts skippers are that dense.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Baptism was in the name of Jesus foor the remission of sins specifically in Acts 2, but Peter forgot to mention the remission of sins part during commanding it in Acts 10, so it dropped off".

Well, if Acts 2, and Acts 10 would be the only verses in the Bible on baptism, then they would be dense, but that is not the only final Word of authority on the matter in Scripture on baptism. AFTER these points in Scripture (in Acts), we learn that the APOSTLE Paul said that he came not to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17). Paul made it a point that he only baptized two people and one household (1 Corinthians 1:14-16). Paul says he thanked God that he baptized none of the Corinthians he was writing to except two of them (1 Corinthians 1:14). So if baptism is as necessary for salvation as you say at the time of Paul, then he would not have said this. Also, Acts 18:24-26, and Acts 19:1-6 also teach the temporal nature of John the Baptist’s water baptism (with Spirit baptism being the new baptism or replacement).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim B

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do my best to stay out of political rants but sometimes I let Tucker Carlson get the best of me.:eek:

2 Timothy 2:4 says:
“No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.”

Politics is something that is of the world system.

1 John 2:15-17 says:
“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.”

Reactions: Truther

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Baptism was in the name of Jesus foor the remission of sins specifically in Acts 2, but Peter forgot to mention the remission of sins part during commanding it in Acts 10, so it dropped off".

Also, the problem you fail to recognize is that if you are to literally take Peter’s words at face value with wooden literalism in Acts 2:38, then we would have a contradiction in the Bible between Acts 2:38, and Acts 10:34-45. Peter said in Acts 2:38 that they had to repent and be baptized to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. But in Acts 10:34-45, we learn that this was not the case for Cornelius and his household (Who were Gentiles and not Jews). So this shows how God was operating differently between the Jews and the Gentiles (At least temporarily until Peter and the other Jewish apostles gained the proper understanding on baptism - of which we learn by the apostle Paul and his teaching on baptism).

So you have to rightly divide all the Scriptures on this matter and not focus a laser beam on just one verse.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if Acts 2, and Acts 10 would be the only verses in the Bible on baptism, then they would be dense, but that is not the only final Word of authority on the matter in Scripture on baptism. AFTER these points in Scripture (in Acts), we learn that the APOSTLE Paul said that he came not to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17). Paul made it a point that he only baptized two people and one household (1 Corinthians 1:14-16). Paul says he thanked God that he baptized none of the Corinthians he was writing to except two of them (1 Corinthians 1:14). So if baptism is as necessary for salvation as you say at the time of Paul, then he would not have said this. Also, Acts 18:24-26, and Acts 19:1-6 also teach the temporal nature of John the Baptist’s water baptism (with Spirit baptism being the new baptism or replacement).
You did it again.

You skipped Acts.

You are brain trained to do that.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 2:4 says:
“No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.”

Politics is something that is of the world system.

1 John 2:15-17 says:
“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.”
You are 100% right!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, the problem you fail to recognize is that if you are to literally take Peter’s words at face value with wooden literalism in Acts 2:38, then we would have a contradiction in the Bible between Acts 2:38, and Acts 10:34-45. Peter said in Acts 2:38 that they had to repent and be baptized to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. But in Acts 10:34-45, we learn that this was not the case for Cornelius and his household (Who were Gentiles and not Jews). So this shows how God was operating differently between the Jews and the Gentiles (At least temporarily until Peter and the other Jewish apostles gained the proper understanding on baptism - of which we learn by the apostle Paul and his teaching on baptism).

So you have to rightly divide all the Scriptures on this matter and not focus a laser beam on just one verse.
The introduction to salvation in Acts, is in Acts 2:38.

It never changed.

The rest must point back to Acts 2:38, not point away from it.

I think you know you are pitting verses against it because you haven't taken a bath in your life and are terrified to get immersed because you can't swim either.:eek:

Water is not as terrifying as you think. Just take a swimming class and you will see.:)

After that, we can go water skiiing.:D

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You did it again.

You skipped Acts.

You are brain trained to do that.

You did it again. You skipped again in explaining (with Scripture) 1 Corinthians 1:17, and Acts of the Apostles 18:24-26, and Acts of the Apostles 19:1-6. So you are a Corinthians skipper, and an Acts skipper by not explaining these verses using the Bible. That’s like the pot calling the kettle black. But I explained Acts of the Apostles 2:38 (using Scripture - Romans 6:3-5), and so you are just throwing out judgments without really defending your case for your belief here.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The introduction to salvation in Acts, is in Acts 2:38.

It never changed.

The rest must point back to Acts 2:38, not point away from it.

I think you know you are pitting verses against it because you haven't taken a bath in your life and are terrified to get immersed because you can't swim either.:eek:

Water is not as terrifying as you think. Just take a swimming class and you will see.:)

After that, we can go water skiiing.:D

I already been water baptized in April of 2013. But I was saved by God’s grace in 1992. I had a love, joy, and peace that I had never known before when I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. Water baptism was not something that I was not even aware of until many years later. I don’t believe I had to be water baptized to be saved, and Scripture even confirms this fact (1 Corinthians 1:17). So just as you try to push Acts of the Apostles 2:38 as the sole truth in the Bible, you have to face the truth of 1 Corinthians 1:17 someday.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truther

Is baptism a work?
Yes, or no?
If it is a work then how can you be saved by God’s grace through faith without works in your Initial Salvation according to Ephesians 2:8-9?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truther is obsessed with one single verse in Acts in order to prove himself as some sort of Biblical authority. I debated with him for quite a while, but his obsessed mind is stuck. I finally gave up, as there is no way to penetrate his thoughtless, boring dogma. Either his mind is permanently closed or he is a troll. I wouldn't advise anyone to try to reason with him. (See my signature below.)

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You did it again. You skipped again in explaining (with Scripture) 1 Corinthians 1:17, and Acts of the Apostles 18:24-26, and Acts of the Apostles 19:1-6. So you are a Corinthians skipper, and an Acts skipper by not explaining these verses using the Bible. That’s like the pot calling the kettle black. But I explained Acts of the Apostles 2:38 (using Scripture - Romans 6:3-5), and so you are just throwing out judgments without really defending your case for your belief here.
It is impossible to be an Epistle skipper if you obey Acts 2:38.

After obeying Acts 2:38, you become qualified to read and apply the Epistles.

The Acts skipper "qualifies" sinners illegally by taking sinners straight to the letters written to the previously saved via Acts 2:38, saints.

He is sneaky and underhanded with the Bible and sinners as he does away with the necessity to obey Acts 2:38.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor 6:11 speaks of 2 entities...divided by the word "and'.

this is baptismal washing(sanctification in the name of Jesus).... AND.... Spirit filling.

You see it too.

Good.

This has nothing to do with "Godhead".

You are reading water baptism into 1 Corinthians 6:11 when it does not even mention water baptism. In fact, Paul would disagree with your interpretation because he said he came not to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17). Paul only baptized two people and one household (1 Corinthians 1:14-16). But you don’t appear to be able to see what the apostle Paul is saying. I take Paul’s words as having more weight or authority because he rebuked Peter for not walking according to the truth of the gospel, and because Paul primarily written to Gentiles.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already been water baptized in April of 2013. But I was saved by God’s grace in 1992. I had a love, joy, and peace that I had never known before when I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. Water baptism was not something that I was not even aware of until many years later. I don’t believe I had to be water baptized to be saved, and Scripture even confirms this fact (1 Corinthians 1:17). So just as you try to push Acts of the Apostles 2:38 as the sole truth in the Bible, you have to face the truth of 1 Corinthians 1:17 someday.
If the name of Jesus was not spoken over you upon immersion during baptism, you are officially unqualified to read and apply the Epistles.

You have zero foundation.