Advice For Truly Studying And Understand My Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

skywalker

Jun 13, 2010
Could someone please give me a few tips or advice as to how I should read my bible. I find myself reading, but either not understanding or simply it feels as though I read because I know that as a "Christian" I need to read my bible.

Any advice as to how I should tackle scripture so that I not only can understand it, but that I may be able to pick out what it is I am being taught by gods word.

Thanks in advance!

- SkyWalker

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
Could someone please give me a few tips or advice as to how I should read my bible. I find myself reading, but either not understanding or simply it feels as though I read because I know that as a "Christian" I need to read my bible.

Any advice as to how I should tackle scripture so that I not only can understand it, but that I may be able to pick out what it is I am being taught by gods word.

Thanks in advance!

- SkyWalker

Luke, First you will want to get a good study Bible, I recommend THE COMPANION BIBLE, a KJV Bible, edited by Dr. E. W. Bullinger. You can also get the Companion Bible in most book stores or from Amazon. Do not buy The Companion Bible Condensed, it is not the complete CB. It can be downloaded free from: http://companion-bible.com/ It is a large file (447 megs) so it might be easier to purchase the CDRom for $7.99 plus S/h. You can also get the Companion Bible in most book stores or from Amazon. It is the best KJV because of the structure it provides.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

Thanks in advance!

- SkyWalker

The best way to understand the bible is to study it along with someone who already has understanding.
There is an account in Acts 8:30-31 where the holy spirit directed Phillip to go to an Ethiopian jewish proselyt who was trying to understand the hebrew scriptures and the results were that he became a christian after Phillip helped him to understand.

but my advice in this regard is that you should also ask for evidence of what you may be taught....because in christianity there are many different and contradictory beliefs which are not found in the bible. So do a little research yourself to find out if certain 'truths' are actually true or if the ideas come from pagan philosophers and babylonish religions.

Ask for evidence before you accept anything. The evidence is to be found in the bible and in the original languages that the bible was written in...they hold the key to truth.

As an example of what im talking about, you may have been told that hell is a place of fiery torment where demons dwell and the wicked are burned for all eternity as a cruel punishment for thier sins. This is a common christian teaching in most church's.
The idea actually comes from ancient greek mythology.

Then go to the dictionary such as Webster’s and see what it says about the word 'hell'...it will also tell you that the hebrew and greek words translated as hell are Sheol and Hades. Then look up those words preferably from a secluar source such as an encylopedia

Encyclopaedia Britannica (1971, Vol. 11, p. 276) says that sheol is “The state of the dead was one of neither pain nor pleasure. Neither reward for the righteous nor punishment for the wicked was associated with Sheol. The good and the bad alike, tyrants and saints, kings and orphans, Israelites and gentiles—all slept together without awareness of one another.”

Hades
Notice definition 3 tells us its the 'grave, death, hell'

Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, unabridged, under “Hell” says: “fr[om] . . . helan to conceal.” The word “hell” thus originally conveyed no thought of heat or torment but simply of a ‘covered over or concealed place.’

Such a place is consistent with the above definitions of a grave or pit or tomb in which one is buried. So to really understand the bible, you need to know what these words really mean. If you undestand what they mean, then when you read the bible you'll understand what is being spoken about.

skywalker

Jun 13, 2010
Thank you both for your wonderful suggestions. I do have a great study bible actually, which has many detailed notes on each verse below...I spend hours sometimes just reading two verses, thats how many notes there are, and things to understand.

@Paul
The link to the downloadable "Companion Bible" doesn't work for me, I get a "Temporarily not available error". Although, thank you for the suggestion, I will pay a visit to my local Christian Book store and purchase a hard copy for myself.

@Pegg
I do have many resources to turn too whenever I do have questions, it definitely does help... especially when I'm confused or stumped on a particular chapter or verse. A dictionary...now thats something I've never thought of doing...but you're right, how do I understand something I don't even know what the words mean. Thank you for your suggestions, I will begin focusing on the words I don't understand, instead of just passing over them :p

Thank you both. By the way, if anyone has any other helpful suggestions, please feel free to throw them my way!

- SkyWalker

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada

Thanks in advance!

- SkyWalker

Luke

I will always remember your name Luke. I remember you're opening post on this forum and I thank you for at least knowing your first name. Do you realize how rare that is on Christian forums ?

I find it very rare that any man on earth will use his name on the internet.

Right at this moment I am inclined to give you some unusual advice about how you should read your bible so bear with me , hear what I say , consider it carefully , proceed with caution , and then decide for yourself it it is helpful advice.

Never read your bible until you have a question and you are interested in some answers. At that time the things you may read in the bible go straight to your heart. Keep your eyes open as to how you happen to come across those answers. Often it is not by random chance.

When a regular genuine man has a question about what the bible has to say about a topic ..... it is amazing how the author of the bible can use his tiny powers to make sure your question is answered.

Pay attention and keep notes.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Luke

I will always remember your name Luke. I remember you're opening post on this forum and I thank you for at least knowing your first name. Do you realize how rare that is on Christian forums ?

I find it very rare that any man on earth will use his name on the internet.

Right at this moment I am inclined to give you some unusual advice about how you should read your bible so bear with me , hear what I say , consider it carefully , proceed with caution , and then decide for yourself it it is helpful advice.

Never read your bible until you have a question and you are interested in some answers. At that time the things you may read in the bible go straight to your heart. Keep your eyes open as to how you happen to come across those answers. Often it is not by random chance.

When a regular genuine man has a question about what the bible has to say about a topic ..... it is amazing how the author of the bible can use his tiny powers to make sure your question is answered.

Pay attention and keep notes.

I do not agree with "never read your bible until you have a question" but I DO AGREE with how answers are at times obtained. It is amazing indeed to see those powers at work!

skywalker

Jun 13, 2010
@Martin

Thank you for responding. Yes, I'd have to agree with whirlwind, "never read your bible until you have a question" I don't find correct, but as for answers, you're bang on!

I'm glad that knowing my first name means a lot to you, I normally will introduce myself with my first name where I believe I will spend a long time, and especially if I plan on forming friendships. Nicknames are great, as you see Skywalker is mine, but formal names always mean more.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You do not need to understand the bible, you need to know Jesus, All the bible can tell you, is that you need Jesus, Just read all that Jesus said, and you will see, No one on this earth understands the bible and any one who claims they do is a liar. Now you say you can tell by someones fruit, just look at all the diviison that reading the bible has brought, so tell me is God into division,

In His LOve

skywalker

Jun 13, 2010
You do not need to understand the bible, you need to know Jesus, All the bible can tell you, is that you need Jesus, Just read all that Jesus said, and you will see, No one on this earth understands the bible and any one who claims they do is a liar. Now you say you can tell by someones fruit, just look at all the diviison that reading the bible has brought, so tell me is God into division,

In His LOve

I have a question for you then.
What do you consider as "understanding the bible"? Cause I don't think i can agree with you, when you state "any one who claims they do is a liar." People go to school for years learning and studying the teachings and history of the bible, so i'd have to say...they do KNOW the bible. But i think "knowing" the bible could have two different means, infact...there are probably more then two aspects of knowing the bible.

Everyone who is a Christian, "knows" the bible, based on its teachings. You can't tell me that christians don't know their bibles. Now if you are going to consider knowing the bible from the history aspect, well then many christians probably don't know that aspect, but there are those who do.

Paul

Aug 19, 2006

In His LOve

Another false statement, mj. Just because YOU don’t understand God’s Word, YOU seem to think know one else understands it. You must think you are the smartest one around, how arrogant. The fact is some have “eyes to see, and ears to hear,” and some don’t.

For example, Rev 19:12 says, speaking of Christ, "His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

Do you know what that name is? I do.

wayofthespirit

More often partly wrong than wholly right
Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
"Rev 19:12 says, speaking of Christ, "His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

But ......I do.

EH????

I am getting long in the tooth, and with old age comes the tendency to repeat oneself, so please forgive me if I’ve posted most of this before.
But in respect of the particular challenge of this thread I have always questioned what I see as ‘Bibliolatry’, preferring what I call the ‘Way of the Spirit’ as being how Christianity was originally intended to be led.
After all is said and done there was no Bible as such until Constantine decreed that one should be produced 300 years after the Spirit was given at Pentecost.
There were indeed ‘Apostolic Writings’ during the period that that the church (the Body of Christ) was being established, and they referred to the authenticity of the Old Testament (2Tim 3:16 for example).
And it was good that some of those writings were preserved, despite the fact that the ‘church’ was rapidly falling into apostasy and tampered with them to suit their preferences.
However God still ‘speaks’ to those who have ears to hear but just How does he do so?

I have to say that what I call ‘The Way of the Spirit’ is to be open to the voice of God which I believe ‘speaks’ into what is described as “the fleshy tables of the heart”.
And I believe that for God ‘thus to speak’ it has to be outside of the five human senses of touch, sight, sound, smell, or taste.
Therefore, for God thus to speak, the Bible as such (which can only be seen by the human eye, or heard by the human ear if read) cannot be the voice of God; it can only be one of the vehicles that God uses in order to generate his voice in the heart.
And that has to be via an extra human sensory perception.

Whether or not Shakers, Amish, or early Quakers got to that understanding I am not sure, but it seems to me that they may well have been close (particularly the Quakers)

My burden however is to ease men off the misconception that I believe to have become endemic, whereby the vehicle is mistaken for the goods being conveyed, or the menu is mistaken for the meal.

Whilst the Bible may be most frequently used in conveying/generating the voice of God in the heart, it is not the only vehicle IMO.
Under this understanding it matters little which version of the Bible is being used, whether its canonisation omitted books that deserved inclusion, or whether the ‘church’ tinkered with the manuscripts.
The goods within the vehicle remain available even if one of the vehicle’s wheels falls off……it’s just getting at them that becomes more difficult.

That ‘wheel off’ factor is, IMO, why Christ in Matthew 13 is quoted at great length to portray the survival of the Kingdom of Heaven against so many difficulties (not least that of apostasy) leaving it as a precious hidden treasure to be sought with diligence, and valued above all else when found.

And so my advice to SkyWalker is, "Seek and ye shall find"…..but it will necessitate some enormous resolve against the opposition of most of Christendom.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nice post Mike.

Havnt you ever wondered why christianity is so dead, why all the wondergful thigs the disciples did, we dont do. Its because they where led by the spirit. they had no book to read, no men to folllow, so they did what Jesus told them, and followed the Holy Spirit, Him constantly leadin them into truth, they where not already in it, they where led into it, just as we are supposed to be. People spend there whole lives ,reading the bible, studying it, reading other books by other people, listening to what men have to say, and yet never finding Christ. Christ was Gods word in action, performing all that God spoke, as He said it would, then Gods word was put to death on the cross, yet it fullfilled all it was sent to perform, all because one women, called Mary, accepted what was said, not doubting, and through her faith, life was born in her, Jesus our saviour.

In His Love

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Skywalker,

Here's something Apostle Paul said to Timothy...

2 Tim 3:15-17
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
(KJV)

and this...

2 Tim 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
(KJV)

If you want to be approved unto God, and be furnished unto all good works like Paul told Timothy, then you will naturally 'feel' the need to study God's Word, and you will also have the 'desire' to do so.

There are some Churches today that claim manifestations of The Holy Spirit when they are not. God's Word helps reveal what is of The Spirit and what is not.

The many divisions that happen among God's people comes from the influence of the "crept in unawares" among God's people (Jude 1:4; 2 Peter 2). That working by the "workers of iniquity" just so happens to be covered all throughout God's Word. It existed in the Old Testament days, and also in the days of Christ's Apostles. It is nothing new, but only has become worse today.

Only GOD through The Holy Spirit can open up His Holy Writ to us. No man can do that for us, but only help in it. When we listen to others, we each must still discern whether it is God's Truth or not.

Always start your Bible study with a prayer to The Father asking for understanding, in Christ's Name. Just like what those of Berea (Acts 17) did in verifying for theirselves in God's Word what Apostle Paul preached, and Paul commended them for it, that also is what we are to do when listening to anyone teach or preach The Bible. We are NOT to just believe everything we hear from a minister of pastor simply because they have attended a seminary college, or wear a nice suit, or able to speak nice and sweet words that sooth the ears (Isaiah 30:10).

Be careful of modern "study Bibles" that have their own lengthy commentaries. You can probably find a study Bible with commentaries aligned with any one of the modern denominational Churches today. You'd have to buy one from each denomination just to find out how their separate creeds and doctrines differ (possible waste of time, and money; but maybe not for the scholarly). And you'd still have to go into The Word for yourself to find out if their commentaries really do align with Holy Writ. It's much easier to take the time to learn 'how' to study God's Word with our Lord's help, and having done that, be able to quickly discern whether others are actually staying within the parameters of God's Word when they preach.

I recommend Bullinger's Companion Bible also (a KJV Bible with side margin 'scholarly' notes), and that even though Bullinger had latched onto a couple of doctrines that became popular in the 1800's. His scholarship was excellent, especially the amount of work he did in the Appendixes. That Bible is the only English Bible existing today that includes some of the Massorah notes written in the margins of the oldest Old Testament manuscripts.

But don't stop there. Check out Bible study software by BibleSoft. The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge and Englishman's Concordance are excellent tools, as an Interlinear Bible (manuscripts-English, like the Green's) is also.

Strangelove

Aug 29, 2010

Thanks in advance!

- SkyWalker

Hi Skywalker,

You say your Christian so you've obviously read the Gospels and believe Jesus to have been a real dude who went through all the supernatural stuff::::::::and that you recognize and are trying to repent (turn away) from your sins:::::::and you have accepted Jesus as the Son of God:::::::::::praise the Lord. You are my Brother:::::

Why do we read the Bible over and over again trying to figure out whats going on now and in the future??>>>>

The answer is>>You dont! You dont have to constantly hammer your Bible 24/7. You use it as a sword. You keep it close by. Ready to strike?? Strike at what?

You sit and wait and keep your sword by your side because you know that there will come phony teachers IN AND out of religious circles with funky doctrine. When you hear something that seems new to you::::::you REFERENCE the Bible. And you smash down the funkyness stone dead in its tracks. If not for the benefit of others then for you and your family.

Thats my advise.

P.S> I highly recommend getting a PDF File King James Authorized Version. Has a nice little search engine.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Actually ESWORD is really good, has lots of good stuff with it and is free.