And his name shall be called Immanuel!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does Matthew use this scripture from the 8th century Old Testament text in reference to the birth of Christ?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 7:14 KJV
[14] Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The phrases maher-shalal and hash-baz are synonymous, both meaning approximately "quickly to the plunder". The name Maher-shalal-hash-baz is a reference to the impending plunder of Samaria and Damascus by the king of Assyria, Tiglath-Pileser III (734–732 BCE). Hebrew.

The phrases maher-shalal and hash-baz are synonymous, both meaning approximately "quickly to the plunder". The name Maher-shalal-hash-baz is a reference to the impending plunder of Samaria and Damascus by the king of Assyria, Tiglath-Pileser III (734–732 BCE). Hebrew.

Isaiah 8:3 KJV
[3] And I went unto the prophetess; and she conceived, and bare a son. Then said the Lord to me, Call his name Maher-shalal-hash-baz

this prophetic child seems to be in reference to the war between the south and north Kingdoms

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting, but I don’t know for sure about the quickly to the plunder name.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this not talking about Hezekiah?
No, that King of Jerusalem came into the picture about 30 years later when the 2nd wave of an Assyrian attack too place and he and Jerusalem were saved. The long name you have in your post is the name of 1st son of Isaiah. He had another son later.

There was a prophecy that Judah would be saved and Hezekiah trusted the LORD's word where King Ahaz, the previous King did not and Judah was overran by Assyrians forces. Hezekiah trusted in the LORD and the prophecy..

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, that King of Jerusalem came into the picture about 30 years later when the 2nd wave of an Assyrian attack too place and he and Jerusalem were saved. The long name you have in your post is the name of 1st son of Isaiah. He had another son later.

There was a prophecy that Judah would be saved and Hezekiah trusted the LORD's word where King Ahaz, the previous King did not and Judah was overran by Assyrians forces. Hezekiah trusted in the LORD and the prophecy..
Ok, the scripture indicates that the sign would be the of a son through a virgin when these kingdoms were at war. Seems to imply that the virgin birth took place in the 8th century bc

Reactions: APAK

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ok, the scripture indicates that the sign would be the of a son through a virgin when these kingdoms were at war. Seems to imply that the virgin birth took place in the 8th century bc

Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WoH: You are 100 percent correct as I understand it............

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Luke 21:8-10 And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ ; and the time draws near: go you not therefore after them. [9] But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by. [10] Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:

8th century?

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 21:8-10 And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ ; and the time draws near: go you not therefore after them. [9] But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by. [10] Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:

8th century?
Not trying to speak for him VIJ, although WoH is not trying to say Yahshua was born in the 8th century BC. He is talking about a foreshadowing of him by another birth of a son of the 8th century BC. Noticed he mentioned war between the Assyrian and Syrian/Damascus/Jerusalem. There was no such thing happening when Christ was born.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was no such thing happening when Christ was born.
But there was (Imo)…something so much bigger than war between the Assyrian and Syrian/Damascus/Jerusalem.

a war between the kingdom of darkness and Light. See the crucifixion…hear the conversation between the Pharisees and sadducees …toward Christ. Even the conversation of the world: the lust of the eyes, the pride of life…against whom the Son makes free is free indeed.

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But there was (Imo)…something so much bigger than war between the Assyrian and Syrian/Damascus/Jerusalem.

a war between the kingdom of darkness and Light. See the crucifixion…
This is true VIJ. And it never ends. Uncanny and even thrilling in a good way to see seemingly hidden messages in other parts of scripture. WoH has come up with these types of coded messages in the past...

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is true VIJ. And it never ends. Uncanny and even thrilling in a good way to see seemingly hidden messages in other parts of scripture. WoH has come up with these types of coded messages in the past...
I have a lot of confirmation bias that has many times prevented me from receiving any new truths.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Th 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
1Th 5:10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

Mat 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Is it possible that the "virgin" is Christ's church who claim that God is with us?

For "they" shall call his name Emmanuel. Who is "they" ?

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Mat 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Hugs

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a lot of confirmation bias that has many times prevented me from receiving any new truths.
Well if this is of yourself, then try hard to disprove what you think is true, or at least keep it on hold and don't be so hasty to discard it completely just yet. The picture sometimes has not coalesced completely yet.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Th 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
1Th 5:10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

Is it possible that the "virgin" is Christ's church who claim that God is with us?

For "they" shall call his name Emmanuel. Who is "they" ?

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Hugs
Many good questions @Ziggy, have a look at this
Luke 1:28 KJV
[28] And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
Genesis 6:4 KJV
[4] There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Reactions: Ziggy