Apostolicity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello there,

The twelve were told by the Lord Jesus Christ that they would sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel in what is yet a future day of God's choosing. I don't care about your words and their meanings, be they Greek, Hebrew, or Hindustani. The Lord required that there be twelve Apostles, to accomplish God's purpose for them, that is why Judas had to be replaced. Will your Pope's sit on one of those twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel, I don't think so!!!

Get real, and read your Bible, not the rhetoric of the papal office.

In Christ Jesus
Chris.
What we have Biblically is not so called apostolic succession, but the faith once delivered to the saints which was taught by the apostles.

Reactions: marks

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What we have Biblically is not so called apostolic succession, but the faith once delivered to the saints which was taught by the apostles.
Hello @farouk,

I don't believe in apostolic succession. I believe what the Bible says.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: farouk

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello there,

The twelve were told by the Lord Jesus Christ that they would sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel in what is yet a future day of God's choosing. I don't care about your words and their meanings, be they Greek, Hebrew, or Hindustani. The Lord required that there be twelve Apostles, to accomplish God's purpose for them: that is why Judas had to be replaced. Will your Pope's sit on one of those twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel, I don't think so!!!

* Get real, and read your Bible, not the rhetoric of the papal office. This is the end of my discussion with you: and if you had any decency you would change your user name, for only One has the right to that title, and it surely is not you.

In Christ Jesus
Chris.
Not sure why you have to make this an anti-Catholic attack.
I never mentioned the Pope . . .

Anyway - go back and read YOUR Bible.
To WHOM did He promise that they would sit on 12 Thrones?? Was Matthias one of them - or was it JUDAS??

So, instead of becoming angry and spewing anti-Catholic nonsense - try instead to rightly divide the Word of God . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The successors to the apostles are the bishops. We have Clement, Ignatius and Polycarp that were themselves disciples of the apostles and made overseers by the Spirit. Peter was never the bishop of a city...but an itinerant apostle. Neither was Paul a bishop. A very cursory glance at the bible will show that much.

But this idea that there is a city over other cities...Rome...because of the Roman empire...shows that the RC foundation is political not spiritual. The authority comes from the prince of this world...not Jesus Christ.

If there was to be any supremacy of a city it would have been Jerusalem. But again, no apostle was bishop in Jerusalem. For your scheme to work...Peter would have been bishop of Jerusalem...which he was not...

i think you have been influenced by the teachings of Erroneous.
And YOU are a textbook example of somebody who lives in denial of history.
You're no better than those who now go around denying that the Holocaust ever took place . . .

Read the following testimonies of the ancient Church Fathers - who UNANIMOUSLY agree on the fact that Peter was not only IN Rome with Paul - but that He was the FIRST BISHOP of Rome . . .

Dionysius of Corinth
You have also, by your very admonition, brought together the planting that was made by Peter and Paul at Rome and at Corinth; for both of them alike planted in our Corinth and taught us; and both alike, teaching similarly in Italy, suffered martyrdom at the same time (Letter to Soter of Rome [inter A.D. 166 -174] as recorded by Eusebius).

Irenaeus
Matthew also issued among the Hebrews a written Gospel in their own language, while Peter and Paul were evangelizing in Rome and laying the foundation of the Church. After their departure, Mark, the disciple and interpreter of Peter, also handed down to us in writing what had been preached by Peter (Against Heresies 3:1:1 [A.D. 189]).

But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the successions of all the Churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here THE SUCCESSIONS OF THE BISHOPS of the greatest and most ancient Church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious Apostles, Peter and Paul, that Church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the Apostles. For with this Church, because of its superior origin, all Churches must agree, that is, all the faithful in the whole world; and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the Apostolic tradition (Against Heresies 3:3:2 [A.D. 189]).

Tertullian
Let us see what milk the Corinthians drained from Paul; against what standard the Galatians were measured for correction; what the Philippians, Thessalonians, and Ephesians read; what even the nearby Romans sound forth, to whom both Peter and Paul bequeathed the Gospel and even sealed it with their blood (Against Marcion 4:5:1 [inter A.D. 207-212]).

Eusebius
The Apostle Peter, after he has established the Church in Antioch, is sent to Rome, where he remains bishop of that city, preaching the Gospel for twenty-five years (The Chronicle, Ad An. Dom. 42 [A.D. 303]).
When Peter preached the Word publicly at Rome, and declared the Gospel by the Spirit, many who were present requested that Mark, who had been for a long time his follower and who remembered his sayings, should write down what had been proclaimed. Having composed the Gospel, he gave it to those who had requested it (Ecclesiastical History 6:14:1 [A.D. 325]).

Peter of Alexandria
Peter, the first chosen of the Apostles, having been apprehended often and thrown into prison and treated with ignominy, at last was crucified in Rome (Canonical Letter, canon 9 [A.D. 306]).

Lactantius
When Nero was already reigning Peter came to Rome, where, in virtue of the performance of certain miracles which he worked by that power of God which had been given to him, he converted many to righteousness and established a firm and steadfast temple to God. When this fact was reported to Nero, he noticed that not only at Rome but everywhere great multitudes were daily abandoning the worship of idols, and, condemning their old ways, were going over to the new religion. Being that he was a detestable and pernicious tyrant, he sprang to the task of tearing down the heavenly temple and of destroying righteousness. It was he that first persecuted the servants of God. Peter, he fixed to a cross; and Paul, he slew (The Deaths of the Persecutors 2:5 [inter A.D. 316-320]).

Cyril of Jerusalem
Simon Magus so deceived the City of Rome that Claudius erected a statue of him, and wrote beneath it in the language of the Romans Simoni Deo Sancto, which is translated To the Holy God Simon. While the error was extending itself Peter and Paul arrived, a noble pair and the rulers of the Church; and they set the error aright… for Peter was there, he that carries about the keys of heaven (Catechetical Lectures 6:14 [A.D. 350]).

Damasus
The first see, therefore, is that of Peter the Apostle, that of the Roman Church, which has neither stain nor blemish nor anything like it. The second see, however, is that at Alexandria, consecrated in behalf of blessed Peter by Mark, his disciple and an evangelist, who was sent to Egypt by the Apostle Peter, where he preached the word of truth and finished his glorious martyrdom. The third honorable see, indeed, is that at Antioch, which belonged to the most blessed Apostle Peter, where first he dwelt before he came to Rome, and where the name Christians was first applied, as to a new people (The Decree of Damasus 3 [A.D. 382]).

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And YOU are a textbook example of somebody who lives in denial of history.
You're no better than those who now go around denying that the Holocaust ever took place . . .

Read the following testimonies of the ancient Church Fathers - who UNANIMOUSLY agree on the fact that Peter was not only IN Rome with Paul - but that He was the FIRST BISHOP of Rome . . .

Dionysius of Corinth
You have also, by your very admonition, brought together the planting that was made by Peter and Paul at Rome and at Corinth; for both of them alike planted in our Corinth and taught us; and both alike, teaching similarly in Italy, suffered martyrdom at the same time (Letter to Soter of Rome [inter A.D. 166 -174] as recorded by Eusebius).

Irenaeus
Matthew also issued among the Hebrews a written Gospel in their own language, while Peter and Paul were evangelizing in Rome and laying the foundation of the Church. After their departure, Mark, the disciple and interpreter of Peter, also handed down to us in writing what had been preached by Peter (Against Heresies 3:1:1 [A.D. 189]).

But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the successions of all the Churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here THE SUCCESSIONS OF THE BISHOPS of the greatest and most ancient Church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious Apostles, Peter and Paul, that Church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the Apostles. For with this Church, because of its superior origin, all Churches must agree, that is, all the faithful in the whole world; and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the Apostolic tradition (Against Heresies 3:3:2 [A.D. 189]).

Tertullian
Let us see what milk the Corinthians drained from Paul; against what standard the Galatians were measured for correction; what the Philippians, Thessalonians, and Ephesians read; what even the nearby Romans sound forth, to whom both Peter and Paul bequeathed the Gospel and even sealed it with their blood (Against Marcion 4:5:1 [inter A.D. 207-212]).

Eusebius
The Apostle Peter, after he has established the Church in Antioch, is sent to Rome, where he remains bishop of that city, preaching the Gospel for twenty-five years (The Chronicle, Ad An. Dom. 42 [A.D. 303]).
When Peter preached the Word publicly at Rome, and declared the Gospel by the Spirit, many who were present requested that Mark, who had been for a long time his follower and who remembered his sayings, should write down what had been proclaimed. Having composed the Gospel, he gave it to those who had requested it (Ecclesiastical History 6:14:1 [A.D. 325]).

Peter of Alexandria
Peter, the first chosen of the Apostles, having been apprehended often and thrown into prison and treated with ignominy, at last was crucified in Rome (Canonical Letter, canon 9 [A.D. 306]).

Lactantius
When Nero was already reigning Peter came to Rome, where, in virtue of the performance of certain miracles which he worked by that power of God which had been given to him, he converted many to righteousness and established a firm and steadfast temple to God. When this fact was reported to Nero, he noticed that not only at Rome but everywhere great multitudes were daily abandoning the worship of idols, and, condemning their old ways, were going over to the new religion. Being that he was a detestable and pernicious tyrant, he sprang to the task of tearing down the heavenly temple and of destroying righteousness. It was he that first persecuted the servants of God. Peter, he fixed to a cross; and Paul, he slew (The Deaths of the Persecutors 2:5 [inter A.D. 316-320]).

Cyril of Jerusalem
Simon Magus so deceived the City of Rome that Claudius erected a statue of him, and wrote beneath it in the language of the Romans Simoni Deo Sancto, which is translated To the Holy God Simon. While the error was extending itself Peter and Paul arrived, a noble pair and the rulers of the Church; and they set the error aright… for Peter was there, he that carries about the keys of heaven (Catechetical Lectures 6:14 [A.D. 350]).

Damasus
The first see, therefore, is that of Peter the Apostle, that of the Roman Church, which has neither stain nor blemish nor anything like it. The second see, however, is that at Alexandria, consecrated in behalf of blessed Peter by Mark, his disciple and an evangelist, who was sent to Egypt by the Apostle Peter, where he preached the word of truth and finished his glorious martyrdom. The third honorable see, indeed, is that at Antioch, which belonged to the most blessed Apostle Peter, where first he dwelt before he came to Rome, and where the name Christians was first applied, as to a new people (The Decree of Damasus 3 [A.D. 382]).
The apostle Peter...not Bishop Peter. Of course Peter visited and preached there...but so did Paul. Peter may indeed have died there....as did Paul. Both were apostles and traveled....not Bishops.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The apostle Peter...not Bishop Peter. Of course Peter visited and preached there...but so did Paul. Peter may indeed have died there....as did Paul. Both were apostles and traveled....not Bishops.
Apparently - you didn't READ closely . . .

Irenaeus

Eusebius
The Apostle Peter, after he has established the Church in Antioch, is sent to Rome,
where he remains BISHOP of that city, preaching the Gospel for twenty-five years (The Chronicle, Ad An. Dom. 42 [A.D. 303]).

Damasus
The first SEE, therefore, is that of Peter the Apostle, that of the Roman Church, which has neither stain nor blemish nor anything like it. The second see, however, is that at Alexandria, consecrated in behalf of blessed Peter by Mark, his disciple and an evangelist, who was sent to Egypt by the Apostle Peter, where he preached the word of truth and finished his glorious martyrdom. The third honorable see, indeed, is that at Antioch, which belonged to the most blessed Apostle Peter, where first he dwelt before he came to Rome, and where the name Christians was first applied, as to a new people (The Decree of Damasus 3 [A.D. 382]).

A "SEE" is a Bishopric.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure why you have to make this an anti-Catholic attack.
I never mentioned the Pope . . .

Anyway - go back and read YOUR Bible.
To WHOM did He promise that they would sit on 12 Thrones?? Was Matthias one of them - or was it JUDAS??

So, instead of becoming angry and spewing anti-Catholic nonsense - try instead to rightly divide the Word of God . . .
'And Jesus said unto them,
"Verily I say unto you,
That ye which have followed me,
in the regeneration
when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of His glory,
ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones,
judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Hello there,

Yes I was angry, and for that I apologise. I saw your post at the end of a long day, and I was tired. You user name and avatar always offends me anyway, because of your use of a title which only our beloved Lord can claim, and because of the up-thrusted wafer in your avatar, which is symbolic of the way your church has abused the Word of God: but it was no excuse for rudeness, so I do apologise to you.

I have never taken up an anti-Catholic stance before: but your endeavour to make the verse in Acts chapter one a precedent for apostolic succession is a blatant misuse of Scripture.

'That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom,
and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.'

(Luke 22:30)

* This promise was made to the twelve, and to no other. Matthias became one of the twelve at the death of Judas, at God's choosing, because he met the criteria laid down; but it is not a precedent for apostolic succession, as the context, and testimony of Scripture testify.

* If you do not want to have a reaction of a negative nature, you should not flaunt your Roman Catholicism so blatantly.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'And Jesus said unto them,
"Verily I say unto you,
That ye which have followed me,
in the regeneration
when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of His glory,
ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones,
judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Hello there,

Yes I was angry, and for that I apologise. I saw your post at the end of a long day, and I was tired. You user name and avatar always offends me anyway, because of your use of a title which only our beloved Lord can claim, and because of the up-thrusted wafer in your avatar, which is symbolic of the way your church has abused the Word of God: but it was no excuse for rudeness, so I do apologise to you.

I have never taken up an anti-Catholic stance before: but your endeavour to make the verse in Acts chapter one a precedent for apostolic succession is a blatant misuse of Scripture.

'That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom,
and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.'

(Luke 22:30)

* This promise was made to the twelve, and to no other. Matthias became one of the twelve at the death of Judas, at God's choosing, because he met the criteria laid down; but it is not a precedent for apostolic succession, as the context, and testimony of Scripture testify.

* If you do not want to have a reaction of a negative nature, you should not flaunt your Roman Catholicism so blatantly.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hmmmmm - I didn't know I was supposed to be ashamed of being Catholic . . .
Also - not sure why you would get you offended by my username and avatar. I'm NOT referring to myself - but to my LORD.

Secondly - perhaps you should learn what "Roman" Catholicism is before you go around making claims about it. There is no such Church as the "Roman Catholic Church.

There is only "The Catholic Church". "Roman" or "Latin" simply refers to the RITE. There are 20 Liturgical Rites that comprise the Catholic Church and they are largely cultural in nature - and they are all in full communion. Among these are the Latin (Roman), Melkite, Maroonite, Ruthenian, Byzantine, Coptic, etc.

When you go around saying, "That darn 'ROMAN' Catholic Church!" - understand that you are only referring to ONE of the Rites and NOT the entire Church.
Anyway - enough about that.

As for Acts 1:20 - it ABSOLUTELY points to Apostolic Succession, as do other verses like . . .

2 Thess 2:15
"Stand firm and hold fast to the TRADITIONS you were taught, EITHER BY an ORAL STATEMENT - OR BY a letter from US."

2 Tim. 2:2
"What you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also".

1 Cor. 11:2
"I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you".

1 Timothy 4:14
"Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you."

The Early Church recognized this and professed this from the very BEGINNING . . .

Hegesippus
“When I had come to Rome, I visited Anicetus, whose deacon was Eleutherus. And after Anicetus died, Soter succeeded, and after him Eleutherus. In each succession and in each city there is a continuance of that which is proclaimed by the law, the prophets, and the Lord” (Memoirs, cited in Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History 4:22 [A.D. 180]).

Irenaeus
“It is possible, then, for everyone in every church, who may wish to know the truth, to contemplate the tradition of the apostles which has been made known to us throughout the whole world. And we are in a position to enumerate those who were instituted bishops by the apostles and their successors down to our own times, men who neither knew nor taught anything like what these heretics rave about” (Against Heresies 3:3:1 [A.D. 189]).

Tertullian
“[The apostles] founded churches in every city, from which all the other churches, one after another, derived the tradition of the faith, and the seeds of doctrine, and are every day deriving them, that they may become churches. Indeed, it is on this account only that they will be able to deem themselves APOSTOLIC, as being the offspring of APOSTOLIC CHURCHES. Every sort of thing must necessarily revert to its original for its classification. Therefore the churches, although they are so many and so great, comprise but the one primitive Church, [founded] by the apostles, from which they all [spring]. In this way, all are primitive, and all are APOSTOLIC, while they are all proved to be one in unity” (Demurrer Against the Heretics 20 [A.D. 200]).

Cyprian of Carthage
“The Church is one, and as she is one, cannot be both within and without. For if she is with [the heretic] Novatian, she was not with Cornelius. But if she was with Cornelius, who SUCCEEDED THE BISHOP [of Rome], Fabian, by lawful ordination, and whom, beside the honor of the priesthood the Lord glorified also with martyrdom, Novatian is not in the Church; nor can he be reckoned as a bishop, who, SUCCEEDING to no one, and despising the evangelical and apostolic tradition, sprang from himself. For he who has not been ordained in the Church can neither have nor hold to the Church in any way” (Letters 69[75]:3 [A.D. 253]).

Jerome

“Far be it from me to speak adversely of any of these clergy who, in SUCCESSION FROM THE APOSTLES, confect by their sacred word the Body of Christ and through whose efforts also it is that we are Christians” (Letters 14:8 [A.D. 396]).

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
According to Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 16:12-15 and John 20:21-23 - Christ gave His Church Supreme Authority on earth. He stated that WHATEVER the Church declared on earth would ALSO be ordained in Heaven . . .

Matt 16:18-19
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give YOU the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:15-18
"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

Well, THAT's ALL BIBLE isn't it?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well....if they baptized three times you must have watched the video three times. lol.
Seems you're a bit late to this conversation.

If you actually READ the post you just responded to - you would see that I said in NO uncertain terms: "I loosened the challenge to a mere mention of "full immersion only" in Scripture."

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@farouk #201:- What we have Biblically is not so called apostolic succession, but the faith once delivered to the saints which was taught by the apostles.
@farouk #214:- In the Scriptures we do have the Apostolic faith 'once delivered to the saints' (Jude).

'Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ,
.. and brother of James,
.... to them that are sanctified by God the Father,
...... and preserved in Jesus Christ,
........ and called:
Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.
Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you
of the common salvation,
it was needful for me to write unto you,
and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith
which was once delivered unto the saints.'

(Jude 1:1-3)

* Why?

'For there are certain men crept in unawares,
.. who were before of old ordained to this condemnation,
.... ungodly men,
...... turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness,
........ and denying the only Lord God,
.......... and our Lord Jesus Christ.'

(Jude 1:4)

Last edited:
Reactions: farouk

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What makes something "apostolic?"

Catholics believe their church is such based on a bizarre reference to "succession." (As if there was a family kingship being passed down)

Others believe it means the "headship of Christ"....whatever that means in practical terms.

But mostly people are unconcerned about how apostolic their doctrine and practice is....as long as it is somewhat biblical

What say you?

Do you espouse apostolic doctrine? Engage in apostolic fellowship?

* What does the thread's originator mean by 'apostolic doctrine' or 'apostolic fellowship'?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Then Peter said unto them, - ('ye men of Israel' v.22)
,, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you
.... in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,
...... and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For the promise is unto
you,
.. and to
your children,
.... and to all that are afar off, - (
Jews of the diaspora)
...... even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
And with many other words did he testify and exhort,
.... saying, "Save yourselves from this untoward generation."
Then they that gladly received his word were baptized:
.. and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship,
.. and in breaking of bread, - (
eating together)
.... and in prayers.'

(Acts 2:38-42)

* Is this the 'apostolic doctrine' and 'apostolic fellowship' referred to by the thread originator?

In Christ Jesus
Chris

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Then they that gladly received his word were baptized:
.. and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship,
.. and in breaking of bread, - (
eating together)
.... and in prayers.'

(Acts 2:38-42)

* Is this the 'apostolic doctrine' and 'apostolic fellowship' referred to by the thread originator?

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Do you see the 'breaking of bread' here in Acts 2 as referring to the Lord's Supper, as the same phrase seems to refer to in Acts 20.1 also?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you see the 'breaking of bread' here in Acts 2 as referring to the Lord's Supper, as the same phrase seems to refer to in Acts 20.1 also?
Hi @farouk

Luke 24:35; Acts 2:42 and Acts 2:46 use the phrase, 'breaking of bread', and all appear to be simply partaking of a meal. Acts 20:7; Acts 20:11 also refer to the breaking of bread at a fellowship meal on the day after the sabbath, on the first day of the week. The occasion of Acts 27:35, was following a period of fasting. I see no reason to believe that it was anything other than the natural need to break bread and eat together.

It was only at Passover that the Lord (Luke 22:14-30) told his disciples whenever they partook of it, to remember the Lord's death until He come. 1 Corinthians 10:16 & 21 was the cup of blessing which was part of the Passover feast, as was that of 1 Corinthians 11:25-28. It was the normal way of referring to a meal, for the flat bread eaten was hard, and needed breaking, Acts 27:33-36.

* If you believe otherwise, perhaps you will tell me why. :)

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited: