Apostolicity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And under Mosaic law no one was born again until the resurrection of Christ. No baptism in the Law.

And if a pagan on the cross why did Christ say he would be with him in paradise?
Because even a pagan can be saved by turning to Christ.
You didn't know that??

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More ignorance . . .

First of all - Buiried in the earth and immersed in water are two DIFFERENT things.
Burial is not "immersion.

Secondly - we don't know what John the Baptist did because Scripture is SILENT on the matter.
NOWHERE does it talk about immersion.

Finally - Sprinkling is ABSOLUTELY mentioned in Scripture - in the passage prophesying Baptism:

Ezek 36:24-26
For I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land. I will SPRINKLE clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.

It talks about SPRINKLING and REGENERATION . . .

He baptized in rivers as stated in the Bible.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What's "silly" about that?
His words to the Lord, and the Lord's reply to him make it obvious that he was of that nationality.
* I can't refer to you by your user name, I'm afraid: for there is only One deserving of that title.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There is no such thing as apostolic succession.

The apostles were never considered part of a local church.

When the 12 were gone no one succeeded.

The ones who come closest to that role today are missionaries. They are not prophets. The Bible was completed with the 12.

I agree baptism is a different issue.

Even back then writings of the apostles were considered scriptures and taught. That continues today.

Same with Old Testament.
* You are preaching to the converted, my friend. I also do not believe in apostolic succession. However, Paul was a 'called' apostle: according to the will of God @CoreIssue, and his teaching is vitally important for us today.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His words to the Lord, and the Lord's reply to him make it obvious that he was of that nationality.
I can't refer to you by your user name, I'm afraid: for there is only One deserving of that title.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Actually - his nationality is NOT obvious.
That entire area was ROMAN territory and governed by ROMAN law - so everybody was subject to them.

The Bible is silent about the Thief's nationality.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
* You are preaching to the converted, my friend. I also do not believe in apostolic succession. However, Paul was a 'called' apostle: according to the will of God.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
That's funny - the BIBLE does . . .
Acts 1:20
"Let another take his office"

The Greek word used here for "office" is "Episkopay" or, BISHOPRIC.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actually - his nationality is NOT obvious.
That entire area was ROMAN territory and governed by ROMAN law - so everybody was subject to them.

The Bible is silent about the Thief's nationality.

* But the context is not silent, he spoke, our Lord replied, and that said it all. Only an Israelite, could know about the kingdom looked for by Israel, for whom Christ, as their Messiah would be king: and only an Israelite would understand the Lord's reference made to him concerning 'paradise', which will be in the Kingdom which is of Heaven, which will come down onto the New Earth - the New Jerusalem, in which will be the tree of life, as was in the paradise in Eden; in which the Lord Jesus promised him a place.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That's funny - the BIBLE does . . .
Acts 1:20
"Let another take his office"

The Greek word used here for "office" is "Episkopay" or, BISHOPRIC.
The 'office' was as a disciple, one of the twelve, who were also Apostles, chosen by the Lord Jesus Christ: their primary purpose was to act as witnesses of Christ. That was the office, and one which required a twelfth, after the death of Judas, and whose office was subsequently filled by Divine choice: not by that of man. Their choice and purpose was unique, as apostles to the circumcision and not replicated: requiring as it did having witnessed the words and work of Christ and His subsequent death and resurrection.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
* You are preaching to the converted, my friend. I also do not believe in apostolic succession. However, Paul was a 'called' apostle: according to the will of God @CoreIssue, and his teaching is vitally important for us today.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

I agree. I thought the topic was apostolate today.

We are good to go!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree. I thought the topic was apostolate today.

We are good to go!
Hi @CoreIssue,

The word Apostolic is again a word and category of man's choosing, and so a bed of possible error and flaw.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
* But the context is not silent, he spoke, our Lord replied, and that said it all. Only an Israelite, could know about the kingdom looked for by Israel, for whom Christ, as their Messiah would be king: and only an Israelite would understand the Lord's reference made to him concerning 'paradise', which will be in the Kingdom which is of Heaven, which will come down onto the New Earth - the New Jerusalem, in which will be the tree of life, as was in the paradise in Eden; in which the Lord Jesus promised him a place.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
That's not necessarily true.
A Gentile could have know ALL about this without being a Jew.

The Romans knew about Jewish law and ritual - why wouldn't some of their subjects??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 'office' was as a disciple, one of the twelve, who were also Apostles, chosen by the Lord Jesus Christ: their primary purpose was to act as witnesses of Christ. That was the office, and one which required a twelfth, after the death of Judas, and whose office was subsequently filled by Divine choice: not by that of man. Their choice and purpose was unique, as apostles to the circumcision and not replicated: requiring as it did having witnessed the words and work of Christ and His subsequent death and resurrection.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
WRONG.
If that's all it was about - then Judas didn't need to be "replaced".

Judas needed a replacement because of the successive nature of the BISHOPRIC.

Don't forget the word "Episkopay" used in Acts 1:20. It isn't just talking about some obscure reference to an "office" - it actually NAMES the office. If it were NOT a successive office - then Paul and the others wasted their time ordaining Bishops/Overseers (Episkopi) for the various growing Churches.

This is why we read in Irenaeus's "Against Heresies" some 140 years later - the SUCCESSION of the Bishops of Rome, beginning with Peter - and going all the way to his own time.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
WRONG.

Don't forget the word "Episkopay" used in Acts 1:20. It isn't just talking about some obscure reference to an "office" - it actually NAMES the office. If it were NOT a successive office - then Paul and the others wasted their time ordaining Bishops/Overseers (Episkopi) for the various growing Churches.

This is why we read in Irenaeus's "Against Heresies" some 140 years later - the SUCCESSION of the Bishops of Rome, beginning with Peter - and going all the way to his own time.

The successors to the apostles are the bishops. We have Clement, Ignatius and Polycarp that were themselves disciples of the apostles and made overseers by the Spirit. Peter was never the bishop of a city...but an itinerant apostle. Neither was Paul a bishop. A very cursory glance at the bible will show that much.

But this idea that there is a city over other cities...Rome...because of the Roman empire...shows that the RC foundation is political not spiritual. The authority comes from the prince of this world...not Jesus Christ.

If there was to be any supremacy of a city it would have been Jerusalem. But again, no apostle was bishop in Jerusalem. For your scheme to work...Peter would have been bishop of Jerusalem...which he was not...

i think you have been influenced by the teachings of Erroneous.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
WRONG.

Hello there,

The twelve were told by the Lord Jesus Christ that they would sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel in what is yet a future day of God's choosing. I don't care about your words and their meanings, be they Greek, Hebrew, or Hindustani. The Lord required that there be twelve Apostles, to accomplish God's purpose for them: that is why Judas had to be replaced. Will your Pope's sit on one of those twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel, I don't think so!!!

* Get real, and read your Bible, not the rhetoric of the papal office. This is the end of my discussion with you: and if you had any decency you would change your user name, for only One has the right to that title, and it surely is not you.

In Christ Jesus
Chris.

Last edited: