Are all believers called to evangelize?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In one fashion or another. (I am an introverted autistic, so I wear it differently than a more extroverted believer might. I can still pass out tracts, etc.)

The office of Evangelist does so on a larger scale, but even they have co-workers who are doing so at the one-on-one level.

No.
"God has chosen
  • the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen
  • the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and
  • the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and
  • the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,
that no flesh should glory in His presence." 1 Corinthians 1:27-29 NKJV

(The Baptism of the Holy Spirit really helps in this regard, though.)

Disagree.

Jesus said,
You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned?
It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
" Matthew 5:13 NKJV

and

Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.
But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven." Matthew 10:32-33 NIV
Still not an evangelist, we are to share the hope we have in us, be the light in this world, salt of the earth, however this is not being the office of Evangelist, which is being called by God, a mature, taught by God position within the Church.

This is not to say we are supposed to be witnesses by how we live our life, discuss God's workings within our lives, miracles we have seen, tell others how God has changed us, but these are still not an Evangelists.

We call ourselves something that we're not understanding, imo.

Reactions: Helen

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses was meek, wasn't he? but God still used him mightily...

I love Psalm 90, by Moses.
I think the key with Moses is that He was CALLED by God and God prepared Moses for what He was called to do. God prepares His people before He calls them and their learning experiences are difficult. We are not all called to be Evangelists, this is an office and a gift, with God's preparation.

We are not all teachers are we? We are not all leaders? What would a body do if we were all arms?

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 3:1 - Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

As believers we have different gifts, some are great teachers, some are amazing evangelist, etc. Not everyone is called to preach but we are all called to be salt and light to the world. I may not have the gift to preach but that does not exclude me from sharing my faith with those around me.

As a chaplain, I know my gift is not public speaking, but one on one I can relate in areas of counseling that the public evangelist may not be able to. The body of Christ has diverse members with different talents and gift that all work together for the glorification of the Gospel.

Reactions: Helen and Agios

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think the key with Moses is that He was CALLED by God and God prepared Moses for what He was called to do. God prepares His people before He calls them and their learning experiences are difficult. We are not all called to be Evangelists, this is an office and a gift, with God's preparation.

We are not all teachers are we? We are not all leaders? What would a body do if we were all arms?
@Agios I do believe that all are called upon to evangelize in the sense of testify; the desire that others may come to know in blessing what we have come into a saving knowledge of is integral to all true believers in the Lord Jesus.

It's partly a dispensational thing.

Some ppl in the Reformed constituency set a great store upon limiting people's activities if they are not "office bearers"; upon trying to insist upon "implementing the law to the (so-called) covenant community", and so forth.

Whereas those who have a dispensational outlook (seeing a distinction between the church and Israel in Scripture; between the aspect of the Lord's coming that relates to the church and the exercise of His power and glory in a future day on earth) tend to say that it is the Gospel and Gospel activity that drive the very presence and existence of the pilgrim church on earth.

Reactions: Sabertooth

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Agios I do believe that all are called upon to evangelize in the sense of testify; the desire that others may come to know in blessing what we have come into a saving knowledge of is integral to all true believers in the Lord Jesus.

It's partly a dispensational thing.

Some ppl in the Reformed constituency set a great store upon limiting people's activities if they are not "office bearers"; upon trying to insist upon "implementing the law to the (so-called) covenant community", and so forth.

Whereas those who have a dispensational outlook (seeing a distinction between the church and Israel in Scripture; between the aspect of the Lord's coming that relates to the church and the exercise of His power and glory in a future day on earth) tend to say that it is the Gospel and Gospel activity that drive the very presence and existence of the pilgrim church on earth.
If that is the case, where all believers are called to be Evangelists, most are really, really bad at it. lol

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It should be in the heart and come from the heart, however imperfectly....
Or rather it should be done in the way the Bible has laid it out for us, Evangelists are called by God (and not everyone is called to be this), and if man sends everyone out and "speaks from the heart", God has told us about our hearts, too:

Matthew 15:19 For out of the heart comes all kinds of evil thoughts

No, it should not be from the heart, it should be from God calling us, preparing us for this position. We are to share what God has done in our own lives BUT we are not all teachers, evangelists, apostles or prophets. It is dangerous to take on these roles when God has not called us to do so.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Or rather it should be done in the way the Bible has laid it out for us, Evangelists are called by God (and not everyone is called to be this), and if man sends everyone out and "speaks from the heart", God has told us about our hearts, too:

Matthew 15:19 For out of the heart comes all kinds of evil thoughts

No, it should not be from the heart, it should be from God calling us, preparing us for this position. We are to share what God has done in our own lives BUT we are not all teachers, evangelists, apostles or prophets. It is dangerous to take on these roles when God has not called us to do so.
I think we are going to disagree very, very strongly here, @Agios. The idea of clerical monopolies in the desire to evangelize is foreign to the NT. Some ppl are particularly gifted in the areas which those verses describe, but the idea that a desire to testify to the power of the Gospel must supposedly be snuffed out among those who are not "clerically approved" or "office bearers" is totally incorrect, in my humble understanding. The blood of the Saviour cries out for a heartfelt desire to tell others.

We are going to have to part our ways on this subject, maybe.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still not an evangelist, we are to share the hope we have in us, be the light in this world, salt of the earth, however this is not being the office of Evangelist, which is being called by God, a mature, taught by God position within the Church.

This is not to say we are supposed to be witnesses by how we live our life, discuss God's workings within our lives, miracles we have seen, tell others how God has changed us, but these are still not an Evangelists.

We call ourselves something that we're not understanding, imo.
You are making the distinction between evangelist & Evangelist, which is comparable to prophet vs. Prophet. Though a fair point, I am sure that God wants us all to be evangelists, even if we are not all Evangelists.

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are making the distinction between evangelist & Evangelist, which is comparable to prophet vs. Prophet. Though a fair point, I am sure that God wants us all to be evangelists, even if we are not all Evangelists.
Small letter prophet, evangelist are gifts given by God. Not everyone has the same gifts. What will a body do if it was made up of all arms?

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Small-letter "prophet" is a gift. Small-letter "evangelist" is not.
Not every single gift God gives to His children are listed in the Bible, not everyone is an evangelist. Just think about all the testimonies and witnesses "from God" who speak falsity and lies, but they claim they are evangelists. Teachers and pastors do the same thing, not everyone is called.

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But it's still essentially evangelistic at it's core.
Evangelism requires a great deal of teaching, the person should really have the correct doctrine and accuracy. Sharing what God has done in your life is just that - sharing, it's not teaching. There is a difference and so called evangelists have done great harm within the Church.

Reactions: historyb

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we are going to disagree very, very strongly here, @Agios. The idea of clerical monopolies in the desire to evangelize is foreign to the NT. Some ppl are particularly gifted in the areas which those verses describe, but the idea that a desire to testify to the power of the Gospel must supposedly be snuffed out among those who are not "clerically approved" or "office bearers" is totally incorrect, in my humble understanding. The blood of the Savior cries out for a heartfelt desire to tell others.

We are going to have to part our ways on this subject, maybe.
I agree with you about the "clerically approved", of course we should not wait for us to be cleared by clerical, I am not talking about this at all, you also don't need an "evangelist degree" or whatever else degree, however what is important is to wait to be called by God before we make a move. We should not be self proclaiming we are evangelists (or teachers or prophets or anything else), this is dangerous.

God is orderly, it's chaos when everyone thinks they have the gift of evangelism! New believers are also easily persuaded and can easily pass on incorrect doctrine. Look how many false teachers exist today because they think they are called!

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think that we are on the same page there. Since small-e evangelist is not listed as a specific gift, you cannot make it into one just to fuel the argument of this thread.
It's not just in this thread that I see it is this way - lol - trust me. I believe it IS a gift (as well as an office).

There are many gifts God has given to believers that are not listed in the Bible, for the list would be another book in itself! What about singers? Is not singing a gift? Counseling others? Is that not a gift?