Are all believers called to evangelize?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After God fills a person with the Holy Ghos
If all believers are to evangelize, why is there an office for it?

I understand we are to give an account for the hope we have in us, be able to defend our faith and answer questions. Even sharing our faith and testimony to those whom God has called us to share it with, but not seeing where we are all given the gift and/or office of evangelists.

Wouldn't an evangelist need to be more mature in their faith, have a strong foundation of knowledge about the faith. I have seen many believers play evangelists and they error in their doctrine when speaking and are not able to defend their faith in a way that is convincing.

Where did this idea originate that we are all evangelists? There are a few "evangelical churches" who should probably revisit foundational doctrine. It seems damage has been caused by these and people who go out and evangelize when God has clearly not called them to do so.

Agree? Disagree?
After God fills someone with the baptism of the Holy Ghost they can't help but to evangelize.

We used to preach the world, now we preach to the world.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All scripture is inspired of the Lord and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.

Yes it is ...for the Church. I see Churches as filling stations for Christians...we go to learn (some do) so we can leave that building built up in the Spirit and ready for any one who asks for the hope that is in us. Church's are NOT for the lost. IMHO.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All scripture is inspired of the Lord and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.

Did I say it wasn't? hmm? No. What I said was that you can't take one verse out of context and apply it everywhere. That is what is wrong with many whom claim the name of Christ always taking verses out of their context and acting like those verses are in a vacuum by themselves.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I understand we are to give an account for the hope we have in us, be able to defend our faith and answer questions. Even sharing our faith and testimony to those whom God has called us to share it with, but not seeing where we are all given the gift and/or office of evangelists.

Wouldn't an evangelist need to be more mature in their faith, have a strong foundation of knowledge about the faith. I have seen many believers play evangelists and they error in their doctrine when speaking and are not able to defend their faith in a way that is convincing.

Where did this idea originate that we are all evangelists? There are a few "evangelical churches" who should probably revisit foundational doctrine. It seems damage has been caused by these and people who go out and evangelize when God has clearly not called them to do so.

Agree? Disagree?
I agree, evangelizing is a gift. When we try to evangelize because we should we may end up out there in our own steam. But in the gifting of the Spirit, we can evangelize in God's power.

Much love!

Reactions: Agios

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did I say it wasn't? hmm? No. What I said was that you can't take one verse out of context and apply it everywhere. That is what is wrong with many whom claim the name of Christ always taking verses out of their context and acting like those verses are in a vacuum by themselves.

Matthew, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, took Hosea 11:1 out of context in Matthew 2:15 and applied it to Jesus when the original scripture applied to Israel.

2 Corinthians 9:6 gives prosperity teaching credibility when taken in its immediate context...one has to use the hermeneutic of 1 Corinthians 2:13 (kjv) and compare it to Luke 8:11 in order to get a more orthodox interpretation...in effect taking it out of its immediate context.

I believe that every scripture verse stands on its own as a bastion of biblical truth...context can help you in your understanding; and yet the plain understanding of any singular verse is never nullified by the context of the verse. And this is a first rule of hermeneutics.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not for you to decide, you are not my judge nor do I ever have to believe like you. Thankfully I don't believe like you God delivered me from that rot.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not for you to decide, you are not my judge nor do I ever have to believe like you. Thankfully I don't believe like you God delivered me from that rot.
It wasn't God that delivered you...for what I believe is based solely on studying the scriptures with reliance on the Holy Spirit to give the interpretation and application.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any time a verse is referenced or quoted by itself by any of these so-called false teachers in your eyes, you are certainly free to look them up in their context on your own time.

Anyone adept enough with the word of the Lord to quote or reference singular verses would have had to have read them in their context as they were reading through the book that they are in. And therefore what they say about those verses cannot be very far removed from what they mean in their original context.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It wasn't God that delivered you...for what I believe is based solely on studying the scriptures with reliance on the Holy Spirit to give the interpretation and application.

No you rely on yourself for very faulty ideas.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Agree? Disagree?
We are all lights in a dark place. Evangelists present the gospel for people to choose Jesus. It takes the time and place to present this choice in an appropriate way.

Evangelists show the gate and the path enabling openning the door and walking with Jesus. It is a gift, and not many are good at it. God bless you

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evangelists show the gate and the path enabling openning the door and walking with Jesus. It is a gift, and not many are good at it.
I believe that the key to our understanding here is that the word of God will not return void (Isaiah 55:10-11).

It is not necessarily that we should cater to people's feelings when we share the gospel with them in order to make them more inclined to receive what is being spoken. But if the word of the Lord is preached, you can be certain that there is an offense in the Cross (Galatians 5:11 (kjv)) and that if we have it in our minds to please men, we should not be the servants of Christ (Galatians 1:10).

Gal 5:11, And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.

In the parable of the sower, the sower scatters seeds. Some fall in the wayside, some on rocky ground, others on thorny ground; and probably only 1/4 of all the seeds reach good soil.

These are those who can get past the offence of the Cross and receive the word with understanding unto the salvation of their souls, eternally.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Agree? Disagree?

If we look at Ephesians 4v11 we will see that the role of an evangelist was given by Christ to the church with a view to the perfecting of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the building up of the body of Christ, etc.

This is the same purpose for the other four ministries. So if that is to happen we need all five ministries in operation. The reason why that does not happen is that we ignore four of the five ministries. Which shows you how dumb or disobedient we are. If we choose to ignore scripture, how can we expect God to do what he says he will do?

There is a difference in being an evangelist and evangelizing. We can't all be an evangelist. Only those appointed by Jesus can be an evangelist, but we can all evangelize as in setting our light on a hill.

Being an evangelist is one of the five ministries that serve and build up the body of Christ. If you look at v 12 in Ephesians, you will see that the five ministries edify the body of Christ. What that means is that they build a structure that helps the body to grow. And when I say structure I do not mean a building. I mean a spiritual house where every joint supplies. In most churches only the pastor and a few others supply anything. It was never intended to be like that as we have all been made able ministers of the New Covenant.

So the first thing to do is find out if you are one of the five. If you are your anointing comes from God, not man. If you are not one of the five, then find out what you like doing and then find out what gift it fits in with. If you like to welcome people then you have a gift of hospitality. If you like to wash the dishes then you have the gift of service and that is as much a gift as anything else is.

Don't be like a friend of mine who had been in the church for 20 years and had not done a single thing in all that time.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am probably too introverted to be an evangelist, so I would think it's not my calling, but God did use Moses in a pretty big way.
Didn't someone say that Moses got stoned when he started his ministry?

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In one fashion or another. (I am an introverted autistic, so I wear it differently than a more extroverted believer might. I can still pass out tracts, etc.)

The office of Evangelist does so on a larger scale, but even they have co-workers who are doing so at the one-on-one level.

No.
"God has chosen
  • the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen
  • the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and
  • the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and
  • the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,
that no flesh should glory in His presence." 1 Corinthians 1:27-29 NKJV

(The Baptism of the Holy Spirit really helps in this regard, though.)

Disagree.

Jesus said,
You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned?
It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
" Matthew 5:13 NKJV

and

Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.
But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven." Matthew 10:32-33 NIV

Welcome to another introverted Autistic person. We rule the world. Well, that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Reactions: Sabertooth

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I personally view Paul as more of a teacher than an evangelist, but surely he must've been both! Even more important than teacher, he was an apostle. But that's why I see him as a teacher, because as an apostle he had to lay down important doctrine for the Church to last throughout the present age. It is his teaching that has founded the Church firmly upon Christ, the source and life of our Salvation.

In all probability Randy, the NTC considered Paul to be an apostle. Wherever Paul went in most places he went to the synagogue first to preach the truth of Jesus to the Jews. He was allowed to do this because he was recognized as a Rabbi and any Rabbi could give a dissertation on anything. Basically his calling was to the Jews first and the gentiles as a follow on. If one did not accept his message he would go to another group.

We have got this idea that an evangelist is someone who preaches the gospel. I like to think that he is someone who teaches the gospel. Paul, because he had been a Jewish Rabbi before his conversion, would be well versed in the ways of the devout Jews and would know how to teach the gospel to them. You might say he knew how to present the facts to them. In this regard the question he had to address "Was Jesus the messiah that they had longed for?" Was he God as he said he was? He did not teach from the New Testament because it did not exist so he would have drawn his inspiration from the OT prophets and what God spoke to him in his three years of desert experience.

As he would have been talking to other Rabbis who were well versed in OT law and customs and as they were allowed to question the speaker, Paul would have been inundated with all sorts of questions.

Although I know that none can come to the Father except the Holy Spirit leads him to, I do think that it helps if you know what you are talking about
Sunday morning sermons are a waste of time as they rarely teach you to do anything. Better that everyone is taught the essentials of the faith so they can feel confident when talking to others. I have a feeling that a lot of Christians don't want to evangelise or get involved because they don't know the truth themselves and have never been taught how to answer questions that come up regularly.