Are all believers called to evangelize?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not just in this thread that I see it is this way - lol - trust me. I believe it IS a gift (as well as an office).

There are many gifts God has given to believers that are not listed in the Bible, for the list would be another book in itself! What about singers? Is not singing a gift? Counseling others? Is that not a gift?
You because it's not your specific strength and it's not your particular office at this time doesn't mean that Christ's light shouldn't still be shining through you.

Reactions: Agios

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We analyse, we dissect, we debate but how helpful is it? There will always be those with poor judgement; those who perceive themselves to be mouthpieces for God wrongly.

There are those on religious trips that have no knowledge of God.....and those who join movements and participate because they are clubbers.....these will all spew their ignorance irrespective of any factor.

For folk who have been touched by the Spirit of God; who have seen and tasted that the Lord is good, these will share their knowledge in whatever capacity they are able......and God will enable them according to his choosing.

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We analyse, we dissect, we debate but how helpful is it? There will always be those with poor judgement; those who perceive themselves to be mouthpieces for God wrongly.

There are those on religious trips that have no knowledge of God.....and those who join movements and participate because they are clubbers.....these will all spew their ignorance irrespective of any factor.

For folk who have been touched by the Spirit of God; who have seen and tasted that the Lord is good, these will share their knowledge in whatever capacity they are able......and God will enable them according to his choosing.
The key is "God will enable them according to HIS CHOOSING".

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Are all believers called to evangelize?"

Nope, just like its not everyone's calling to give interpretation of any kind, whether its scripture or tongues, or give prophecy, etc. This is certainly why the so called "body of Christ" is the joke that it is. No one wants to stay in their lane. A lot of them should just shut their pie holes and learn their place. Its better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to speak and remove all doubt, making God look foolish in the eyes of the world in the process, adding insult to injury.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you are describing is not the definition of evangelist as described in the new testament. We are to give an account of our hope and being a witness is living a godly life. Sharing our testimony is a good thing too if God calls us to do so, but again, this is not an evangilist.

Agreed.

I would disagree here, in order to be an evangelist, the person must have a sound understanding of the gospel AND be able to teach it to others.

Younger, less mature believers - who are not called - believe they are supposed to go and evangelize, imo, this has caused a major negative impact on the church.

An evangelical church is not a denomination, it's a "type" of church, as in we are evangelizing, most protestant non-denominational churches today claim to be "evangelical". The members of these churches believe they are ALL called to this position - evangelism - and this is what I disagree with.

I think what @Jane_Doe22 was speaking to was that our very lives (Christians, all) should be preaching the Gospel. "Preach the Gospel at all times, use words if necessary" St. F. of Assissi
Correct me if I'm wrong about that Jane! :)

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think what @Jane_Doe22 was speaking to was that our very lives (Christians, all) should be preaching the Gospel. "Preach the Gospel at all times, use words if necessary" St. F. of Assissi
Correct me if I'm wrong about that Jane! :)
See Philemon 1:6 (kjv).

Phm 1:6, That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

We can only communicate the gospel by using words; but this communication is made effectual (effective) by the fact that we live lives that are pleasing to Him before the world.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Agree. Being an Evangelist and evangelizing are callings but not for all. We are many members

historyb,

I agree that some have the gift of being an evangelist, e.g. Eph 4:11 (ERV). However, to Timothy the pastor-teacher, Paul said: 'But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry (2 Tim 4:2 ERV).

I am a teacher-apologist by gifting, but I pursue Paul's instruction, 'Do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry'.

Oz

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
historyb,

I agree that some have the gift of being an evangelist, e.g. Eph 4:11 (ERV). However, to Timothy the pastor-teacher, Paul said: 'But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry (2 Tim 4:2 ERV).

I am a teacher-apologist by gifting, but I pursue Paul's instruction, 'Do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry'.

Oz
@OzSpen Agreed, indeed!

Reactions: OzSpen

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
historyb,

Oz
I agree it's a gift, I do believe when Paul instructed Timothy, he knew Timothy had been called by God to office positions.

Reactions: Nancy and historyb

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are all believers called to evangelize?
Short answer, yes.

We are all called to share the gospel. Whether one on one or in group settings as God allows, we are all called to share the good news that God loves us and has a plan that delivers you from bondage to sin. It really is the only viable option to mankind's misery.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree it's a gift, I do believe when Paul instructed Timothy, he knew Timothy had been called by God to office positions.

Exactly. We can't just quote a Scripture but must look at the context and in this context it was to Timothy not really to us

Reactions: Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly. We can't just quote a Scripture but must look at the context and in this context it was to Timothy not really to us

All scripture is inspired of the Lord and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.

Reactions: farouk

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All scripture is inspired of the Lord and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.
So does this apply to you justbyfaith?
2 Timothy 4:13 When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, and my scrolls, especially the parchments.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So does this apply to you justbyfaith?
2 Timothy 4:13 When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, and my scrolls, especially the parchments.
Possibly. It may be in my mental illness; but I believe in time travel. And it is possible that the document that I wrote will in the future be translated into Greek and sent back in time to Paul's time.

There are certainly aspects of the document that might have influenced Paul to write what he did.

Will post a link shortly.

Wet Paint Principle (Freedom)

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If all believers are to evangelize, why is there an office for it?

I understand we are to give an account for the hope we have in us, be able to defend our faith and answer questions. Even sharing our faith and testimony to those whom God has called us to share it with, but not seeing where we are all given the gift and/or office of evangelists.

Wouldn't an evangelist need to be more mature in their faith, have a strong foundation of knowledge about the faith. I have seen many believers play evangelists and they error in their doctrine when speaking and are not able to defend their faith in a way that is convincing.

Where did this idea originate that we are all evangelists? There are a few "evangelical churches" who should probably revisit foundational doctrine. It seems damage has been caused by these and people who go out and evangelize when God has clearly not called them to do so.

Agree? Disagree?
Of course all believers are called to evangelize. You don't need any official position to spread the good news and explain your faith to others.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22