Are Back-Sliders Still Christians ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
The obsession of men with title, being or not being, is nothing but futility...

We are not here to judge "he's a christian, he's not a christian". What matters is what God says, and will say. And the Lord says 'he who denies me before men, I will deny him before my Father in heaven'. Men worry about what men say... But if we are going to call ourselves christians, we should start worrying about what God has to say.

Why judge before the time? Rather we should see what the standard is, and understand what we are up against, then move forward in hope.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Well Holly that's a good question.
The English word "christian" comes from the Greek word christianos and means "follower of Christ". It's pretty simple in these basic terms, either we are following Christ or we are not. This Greek word appears twice in the scriptures, Acts 26:28 and 1Peter 4:16

Now believer or brother in Christ is different and stems from a different Greek word adelphos used in many scriptures and in most cases means a fellow believer or brother in Christ.

IMO I don't think any of us believers can say that we are always Christians in light of it's true definition and in that case we all have "back slid" at times from being a follower of Christ, but have not ceased to be a fellow believer or brother in Christ.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well Holly that's a good question.
The English word "christian" comes from the Greek word christianos and means "follower of Christ". It's pretty simple in these basic terms, either we are following Christ or we are not. This Greek word appears twice in the scriptures, Acts 26:28 and 1Peter 4:16

Now believer or brother in Christ is different and stems from a different Greek word adelphos used in many scriptures and in most cases means a fellow believer or brother in Christ.

IMO I don't think any of us believers can say that we are always Christians in light of it's true definition and in that case we all have "back slid" at times from being a follower of Christ, but have not ceased to be a fellow believer or brother in Christ.

Well said. We are our brother's keepers and should seek out the brother in trouble to restore him to the fellowship. Sometimes this takes a lot of time. But we should never give up.

I just recently had a brother (friend) who drifted from the Lord for 20 years....He called me this Christmas to tell me he's back. I was his only contact during all that time. Why did I maintain that contact? I love my brother! :)

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Well said. We are our brother's keepers and should seek out the brother in trouble to restore him to the fellowship. Sometimes this takes a lot of time. But we should never give up.

I just recently had a brother (friend) who drifted from the Lord for 20 years....He called me this Christmas to tell me he's back. I was his only contact during all that time. Why did I maintain that contact? I love my brother! :)

That's good news, I bet you were ecstatic. I have some similar relationships and it's important to be understanding when we see them struggling in their faith and try our best to be encouraging. I'd rather help with those who are struggling in faith than hang around those who are religious that resist and deny any struggle.

Remember Jesus did not scold, rebuke or condemn Thomas for his lack of faith, but rather He beckoned him to come and put his finger in the nail hole in order to strengthen him and help him believe.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once sealed with the HolySpirit always sealed. The call is to repentance, yet we are not bound to the Law. Love God above all things. Love your neighbor as yourself.
I can not say if you are or are not a Christian, but continuance of sin is a sign of struggle. That is between you and God.

Heb 10:26-27 (NIV) If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

I understand this verse with the key word "deliberately".

Now others are "back-sliders" in accordance of faith. In this realm I think caution should be the standard. I want all people to come to Christ, so I would not want to steal any salvation they might have with a negative answer to this question. Still I must raise the question if they ever truly believed to begin with, thereby being sealed.