Are Christianity and Buddhism compatible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus is the only way.....there is more than one way to Jesus
How can there be more than one way to Jesus? Are you claiming that all religions can lead to Jesus, when they all reject Him as Lord and Savior?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Buddhism is becoming more popular in the West than ever before - even within Christian circles. buddhists claim that Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion. A core belief is that attachment to illusion is the cause of suffering.

Is this contrary to Christianity? Harmful to a persons walk with Christ? Incompatible with Christianity?

Verses and discussion, please
Does this question really need asking?

Of course they're incompatible - the one has a Savior Who died to save us from our sins, while the other is just another Eastern washed down version of the ancient Babylonian, Sun worship, mystery religion brought to you by your non-friendly neighborhood prince of this world.

HOWEVER, Romans 2 is clear that there are those from all faiths who choose to follow the light the Holy Spirit shines into their hearts despite never hearing the name "Jesus" and will "come out of Babylon, My people" and sit down in the kingdom with Jesus, asking Him why there are wounds in His hands, to which He will reply, "Those with which I was wounded in the house of My friends."

Reactions: Acolyte

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does this question really need asking?

Of course they're incompatible - the one has a Savior Who died to save us from our sins, while the other is just another Eastern washed down version of the ancient Babylonian, Sun worship, mystery religion brought to you by your non-friendly neighborhood prince of this world.

HOWEVER, Romans 2 is clear that there are those from all faiths who choose to follow the light the Holy Spirit shines into their hearts despite never hearing the name "Jesus" and will "come out of Babylon, My people" and sit down in the kingdom with Jesus, asking Him why there are wounds in His hands, to which He will reply, "Those with which I was wounded in the house of My friends."

There is no diety in Buddhism so how is it related to sun worship?

B

brakelite

Tolerating the mix of the profane with the holy...syncretism, has been the downfall of Christianity for all its 2000 years. Began with the acceptance of sun worship with the ostensible excuse of making things "more acceptable" and "user friendly", and progressed with the refusal to utterly reject all forms of paganism in the church and we ended up with a hodge podge of belief systems that incorporate old traditions mixed with Christian practice everywhere this compromised gospel was taught. I have seen this among the native groups in my own country, and I know it to be true in many places throughout the world, such as Haiti, among native Americans, and some of the former Soviet satellite countries...all together forming Babylon the Great. A church of confusion and uncertainty. Constantine, and those who tolerated his innovations in the church, have a lot to answer for.
That said, does that mean all who accept even the most minor import of pagan philosophy into their faith are doomed? No, because God judges the hearts of all to see if they are searching for greater light, and whether they are living up to what light they have. I would hazard a guess that people in Buddhism who are searching for TRUTH and may not have found it yet, have a greater claim to acceptance with God than the Christian who rejects TRUTH in favour of his man-made embellishments or personal opinions.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is no diety in Buddhism so how is it related to sun worship?
Yes there are deities in Buddhism -- false gods (demons) -- and the lamas arrange to bring these deities into their devotees.

"On Receiving A Buddhist Empowerment
The term ‘empowerment’ is a literal translation from the Tibetan ‘wang’. In Sanskrit, it is called ‘abhisheka’ which can also be translated as initiation.

It refers to a ceremony in which a lama, on the basis of his own spiritual attainments and understanding of the proper rituals that have been handed down in an unbroken lineage for hundreds and even thousands of years, places a recipient in connection with a particular Tantric deity or deities. The result of this teaching “empowers” a recipient to visualize that deity and recite the deity’s mantra. While a teaching centers on a particular deity, in the Tantric or Vajrayana tradition, all deities are mere aspects of the Buddha. So the empowerment empowers a recipient to seek to realize the non-duality between their own mind and that of the deity – a merging of essences – then, by definition, connecting one to that aspect of the Buddha."

Ewam Choden - Tibetan Buddhist Center | Kensington, California

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Buddhism is a pantheistic religion. Pantheism, as a worldview, is the belief that All is God and God is All. IOW, pantheists believe that all that exists comprises what they call the "Divine Unity," or God. To the Buddhist, the idea of separation of things, people, etc. is considered an illusion and the cause of all suffering. Buddhists do not believe in a personal God.

Of course, the one true God of the Bible is a personal God who created the universe and transcends His creation, i.e. is separate from what He has created. He has existed eternally, but His creation has a definite beginning. Also, the one true God is sovereign over His creation and interacts with us humans on a personal basis. IOW, we can have a personal relationship with Him through Jesus Christ. There is no such concept in Buddhism.

The highest goal of Buddhism is Nirvana, or a state of nothingness where the person ceases to see himself as an individual separate from the "God" that they believe to be the "divine All." The following is from Wikipedia:

Nirvana literally means "blowing out, quenching, becoming extinguished". In early Buddhist texts, it is the state of restraint and self-control that leads to the "blowing out" and the ending of the cycles of sufferings associated with rebirths and redeaths. Many later Buddhist texts describe nirvana as identical with anatta with complete "emptiness, nothingness". In some texts, the state is described with greater detail, such as passing through the gate of emptiness (sunyata) – realizing that there is no soul or self in any living being, then passing through the gate of signlessness (animitta) – realizing that nirvana cannot be perceived, and finally passing through the gate of wishlessness (apranihita) – realizing that nirvana is the state of not even wishing for nirvana.​

Christians do not strive toward nothingness, but we become truly alive as individuals when we accept Christ as our Saviour and are reborn spiritually. This takes place once in a person's life, not through multiple rebirths. Even in heaven we do not cease to be the individuals that God created us to be, but fully realize all that He created us to be unencumbered by sin.

Only Christianity provides freedom from sin, which is the cause of all suffering, through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Only Christianity restores fellowship with God through our mediator Jesus Christ. Fellowship with God is what ultimately and completely satisfies the human soul.

You can see that Christianity and Buddhism are completely different as belief systems and are not compatible in the least. Trying to mix the two will always produce detrimental results.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You don't need to say anything. You have made it clear you're not a Christian.
Well, aside from deflecting here which was I guess the point, you are also breaking forum rules now?

So you are the one who decides what "Christian" means, I take it?
And my arguments up there do not even merit a response, right, bc you disagree with them, or more likely they cause you too much cognitive dissonance?

Are you sure that you are even a Christian? Personally I wouldn't hazard a guess, mostly bc i'm not sure what version of the definition of "Christian" you are using, but I mean do you agree with all of theses vv?

He who seeks to save his life will lose it
No one has ever gone up to heaven
There is only One Immortal

etc?

now I can't make you confront those vv, you can keep sticking your fingers in your ears and going LALALALA along with pseudo-Enoch there, but I tell you sincerely that you make it very plain whom you are serving right now ok?
And you can condemn others if you like, but near as I can tell there is no judgement for beliefs, which is why I never condemned you ok. If even Roman Centurion's daughters can be saved, why not you too imo

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Yes there are deities in Buddhism -- false gods (demons) -- and the lamas arrange to bring these deities into their devotees.

"On Receiving A Buddhist Empowerment
The term ‘empowerment’ is a literal translation from the Tibetan ‘wang’. In Sanskrit, it is called ‘abhisheka’ which can also be translated as initiation.

It refers to a ceremony in which a lama, on the basis of his own spiritual attainments and understanding of the proper rituals that have been handed down in an unbroken lineage for hundreds and even thousands of years, places a recipient in connection with a particular Tantric deity or deities. The result of this teaching “empowers” a recipient to visualize that deity and recite the deity’s mantra. While a teaching centers on a particular deity, in the Tantric or Vajrayana tradition, all deities are mere aspects of the Buddha. So the empowerment empowers a recipient to seek to realize the non-duality between their own mind and that of the deity – a merging of essences – then, by definition, connecting one to that aspect of the Buddha."

Ewam Choden - Tibetan Buddhist Center | Kensington, California
but it is obvious that the term "deity" is being used differently, and you can only interpret from your pov of anthropomorphized spirits, see.
God is a Human Old Man with a Long White Beard and a Robe, and etc.

now i'm not interested in trashing that since that is your belief, ok, but Scripture does deny this pov, there are no persons in God, I won't bother with the Scripture since you reject Scripture you don't like but trust me it's in There

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
IOW, we can have a personal relationship with Him through Jesus Christ. There is no such concept in Buddhism.
so you say, but wadr this is not really true. It would be difficult to expound here, but one obvious argument would be that Christians seek to have a relationship with God from their egos, right? And even go so far as to believe that their egos--the part that is separate from God--might make it into immortality intact, only after they have died? Death More Abundantly? So wadr do you really want to trash a discipline on that basis?
The highest goal of Buddhism is Nirvana, or a state of nothingness where the person ceases to see himself as an individual separate from "God."
the highest goal of Christianity is Life, more abundantly where the person "dies" at baptism and allows Christ to reign instead; although I guess not many Christians would accept this right now prolly. But do I really have to even point out the similarities there? Aren't they chillingly close?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Now I am not saying "go be a Buddhist" ok, but all of these pseudo-knowledgeable posts that came right from some link, with a little judgement tacked onto the end? These are not what Christ told you to go and do imo. I have some objections to Buddhism myself--that are dwarfed by those of Institutional Christianity but nevermind--that imo one cannot develop without first going to that town--the two of you, both of you men in that field--and staying in one house, and eating what they feed you.

then your comments would be valid, ok, which they are not right now, bc no one here, not a single one, has done this yet, and I don't even have to say imo here bc it is obvious ok. If you believe that no Buddhist can be accepted then you are deceived, heck you don't even know what the Bible says on the matter I guess.

Careful that you don't become Antichrist in ignorance, or worse, on purpose.
I'd ask for any testimony from you Christian Lawyers against any Buddhists that have ever sinned against you but we all know where that ends up huh

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so you say, but wadr this is not really true. It would be difficult to expound here, but one obvious argument would be that Christians seek to have a relationship with God from their egos, right? And even go so far as to believe that their egos--the part that is separate from God--might make it into immortality intact, only after they have died? Death More Abundantly? So wadr do you really want to trash a discipline on that basis?
the highest goal of Christianity is Life, more abundantly where the person "dies" at baptism and allows Christ to reign instead; although I guess not many Christians would accept this right now prolly. But do I really have to even point out the similarities there? Aren't they chillingly close?
Define ego. That's a Freudian term, not really biblical.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah well good point, what part of you is supposed to die at baptism? tell me and i'll use that term then

The sin nature or "flesh" is crucified at the point of salvation. Ro 8 (HCSB)-- "For those who live according to the flesh think about the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, about the things of the Spirit. For the mind-set of the flesh is death, but the mind-set of the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind-set of the flesh is hostile to God because it does not submit itself to God’s law, for it is unable to do so. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. You, however, are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God lives in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him."

In Ro 6 (HCSB) it's called the "old self" (or "old man" in KJV)--"For we know that our old self was crucified with Him in order that sin’s dominion over the body may be abolished, so that we may no longer be enslaved to sin, since a person who has died is freed from sin’s claims."

It's also called the "worldly nature" in Col. 3 (HCSB)-- "Therefore, put to death what belongs to your worldly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desire, and greed, which is idolatry."

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The sin nature or "flesh" is crucified at the point of salvation. Ro 8 (HCSB)-- "For those who live according to the flesh think about the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, about the things of the Spirit. For the mind-set of the flesh is death, but the mind-set of the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind-set of the flesh is hostile to God because it does not submit itself to God’s law, for it is unable to do so. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. You, however, are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God lives in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him."

In Ro 6 (HCSB) it's called the "old self" (or "old man" in KJV)--"For we know that our old self was crucified with Him in order that sin’s dominion over the body may be abolished, so that we may no longer be enslaved to sin, since a person who has died is freed from sin’s claims."

It's also called the "worldly nature" in Col. 3 (HCSB)-- "Therefore, put to death what belongs to your worldly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desire, and greed, which is idolatry."
ok ty

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Nah, I don't think so since Freud was an atheist and didn't accept the reality of sin.

Actually, the "old man" would be closer to Freud's "id," but there really isn't a clear comparison, IMHO. Freud rejected Bible truth and came up with his own bizarre ideas.

Last edited:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nah, I don't think so since Freud was an atheist and didn't accept the reality of sin.

Actually, the "old man" would be closer to Freud's "id," but there really isn't a clear comparison, IMHO. Freud rejected Bible truth and came up with his own bizarre ideas.

I didn’t say that Freud based the term Ego on Paul’s term Old Man, but the concept is the same. Both are comprised of our false self. The Id is not conscious

Reactions: bbyrd009

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn’t say that Freud based the term Ego on Paul’s term Old Man, but the concept is the same. Both are comprised of our false self. The Id is not conscious

I know that's not what you were saying, but they really aren't the same thing.

Here's a very concise explanation for Freud's components of the human psyche.

According to Freud's model of the psyche, the id is the primitive and instinctual part of the mind that contains sexual and aggressive drives and hidden memories, the super-ego operates as a moral conscience, and the ego is the realistic part that mediates between the desires of the id and the super-ego.

Although each part of the personality comprises unique features, they interact to form a whole, and each part makes a relative contribution to an individual's behavior.

Taken from: https://www.simplypsychology.org/psyche.html
I really don't want to derail your OP about Buddhism with a debate about Freud, so maybe another thread is in order. :)

Edit: My main problem with Freud's concept of "ego" being compared to the biblical explanation of the "flesh" or "sin nature" or "old man" is that the flesh has nothing good in it, according to Paul in Romans 7:18. Because Freud rejected biblical truth, he had no concept of what God considers good or bad. I've studied in depth the psychoanalytic theory of Freud, and it veers widely from what the Bible teaches about human nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggie Belafonte