Are Christianity and Buddhism compatible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no diety in Buddhism so how is it related to sun worship?
The two foundational beliefs of the ancient, Sun worship mystery religion ---

1) man is immortal (Genesis 3:4)
2) man can become a god (Genesis 3:5)

--- are the scarlet threads which bind all false religion systems, which include Buddhism; it's nothing more than a washed down "Eastern religion" version of the same old satanic religion. Nothing new under the sun, especially the worship of it. Do you know where the largest Sun worship solar wheel is located?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Buddhism is becoming more popular in the West than ever before - even within Christian circles. buddhists claim that Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion. A core belief is that attachment to illusion is the cause of suffering.

Is this contrary to Christianity? Harmful to a persons walk with Christ? Incompatible with Christianity?

Verses and discussion, please

There is a similarity in the sense that the Buddha came to the conclusion that we should treat others how we wish to be treated. But a Christian passes everything through God whereas a Buddhist does things in his own strength and understanding.

Jesus clarified the situation by saying to love as HE loves. So then a Christian should display MORE love than a Buddhist. This is where our western Christianity falls down. we refuse to see how far below the mark we really are.

So in that way Buddhism appears superior to modern Christianity...because we have not taken the faith In Christ seriously enough.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
But a Christian passes everything through God
But obv this can be done hypocritically, right, even if most ppl who testify of themselves as "saved" would rather not contemplate twice the sons of hell nor seven worse spirits. So that becomes a handy justification that even Mafia guys can use I guess

Reactions: Episkopos

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
whereas a Buddhist does things in his own strength and understanding.
And those who ID as Christian never do this, right :/
So wadr I'm detecting a false dichotomy here.
Change your mind is either something you must accomplish or something that God does for you, and imo our own strength and understanding has some role regardless? Why yield when all you have to do is say you yielded, and then you can go to Luby's and then right back to your old life, with all of your peers assuring you that you are now "saved?"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The two foundational beliefs of the ancient, Sun worship mystery religion ---

1) man is immortal (Genesis 3:4)
2) man can become a god (Genesis 3:5)

--- are the scarlet threads which bind all false religion systems, which include Buddhism; it's nothing more than a washed down "Eastern religion" version of the same old satanic religion. Nothing new under the sun, especially the worship of it. Do you know where the largest Sun worship solar wheel is located?
So wadr I'm listening to a guy who believes he might become immortal through Christ assure me that all Buddhists go to hell here, when I don't think this can be justified in Scripture. And fwiw if you had stayed in one house while you were there, and eat what they feed you i don't think you would keep saying this either. Or at least your portrayal up there sure doesn't rep my experience with them!

Of course we surely have varying defs of worship, but I can say that I was never directed to bow and scrape to an English concept of Lord, and I was never directed to consider myself superior, in fact quite the opposite, it was there that the Scripture "Standing where he should not" was revealed to me, by a Buddhist no less. But I didn't see it at the time, I got offended and left lol

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So wadr I'm listening to a guy who believes he might become immortal through Christ assure me that all Buddhists go to hell here, when I don't think this can be justified in Scripture. And fwiw if you had stayed in one house while you were there, and eat what they feed you i don't think you would keep saying this either. Or at least your portrayal up there sure doesn't rep my experience with them!

Of course we surely have varying defs of worship, but I can say that I was never directed to bow and scrape to an English concept of Lord, and I was never directed to consider myself superior, in fact quite the opposite, it was there that the Scripture "Standing where he should not" was revealed to me, by a Buddhist no less. But I didn't see it at the time, I got offended and left lol
That guy who told you “all Buddhists go to hell” doesn’t understand the first thing about Christianity or that God Himself is calling His people to “come out of Babylon” systems of religion like Buddhism.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
That guy who told you “all Buddhists go to hell” doesn’t understand the first thing about Christianity or that God Himself is calling His people to “come out of Babylon” systems of religion like Buddhism.
Ha, if anything Buddhism is anti-religion, Phoneman, at least if one defines Religion as "doing things repeatedly, by rote." Even "Discipline" is a bit misleading imo, I was more than once suggested to do something made up more or less on the spot that would serve to illuminate some hypocrisy of mine, I see now, and I quit bc it was hard, not bc my then quite strong religious beliefs were being offended...well, they were too I guess, obliquely, bc they were hypocritical, but I couldn't see that then.

But I certainly was not led away from Christ imo, although I guess many believers here would argue otherwise lol. Christ as Spirit was made much more real for me in fact. I doubt Nehushtan would have had near the impact it did when I found him later without that brief episode in fact.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The effort to dilute Faith and turn it into Belief that has occurred in our Bibles is real, and even documented. While a typical Christian believer prolly doesn't wanna hear this, our standard model of "getting saved" amounts to a ritual made up by Strong Men to install a Plastic Jesus that is For Sale to All, When We All Get to Heaven...so imo I would at least be careful about condemning something you know only by hearsay or web links, bc unlike our Christianity no salesman will call in Buddhism lol, it's more like boot camp, I was encouraged to quit every day I think!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha, if anything Buddhism is anti-religion, Phoneman, at least if one defines Religion as "doing things repeatedly, by rote." Even "Discipline" is a bit misleading imo, I was more than once suggested to do something made up more or less on the spot that would serve to illuminate some hypocrisy of mine, I see now, and I quit bc it was hard, not bc my then quite strong religious beliefs were being offended...well, they were too I guess, obliquely, bc they were hypocritical, but I couldn't see that then.

But I certainly was not led away from Christ imo, although I guess many believers here would argue otherwise lol. Christ as Spirit was made much more real for me in fact. I doubt Nehushtan would have had near the impact it did when I found him later without that brief episode in fact.
Of course Buddhism is a religion! Is it not a man made "path" to a higher existence?

Does it not teach the two great errors which echo back all the way to the serpent in the tree - that there is no death and that we can attain a higher plane of existence and become "one with the universe" which is nothing else but god status?

Does not the Bible condemn the methods of its practice as satanic and dangerous?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The effort to dilute Faith and turn it into Belief that has occurred in our Bibles is real, and even documented. While a typical Christian believer prolly doesn't wanna hear this, our standard model of "getting saved" amounts to a ritual made up by Strong Men to install a Plastic Jesus that is For Sale to All, When We All Get to Heaven...so imo I would at least be careful about condemning something you know only by hearsay or web links, bc unlike our Christianity no salesman will call in Buddhism lol, it's more like boot camp, I was encouraged to quit every day I think!
Of all the offensive things that exist, the most offensive is the Biblical "method of getting saved":

Daily making the choice "not my will, but Thy will."​

That really sums it all up. Total surrender of what I want to think, say, and do and adoption of what He wants me to think, say, and do. That's why Paul said the Cross is so offensive and is why so many invent other means by which to be saved: Works, Dead Faith, OSAS, you name it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And those who ID as Christian never do this, right :/
So wadr I'm detecting a false dichotomy here.
Change your mind is either something you must accomplish or something that God does for you, and imo our own strength and understanding has some role regardless? Why yield when all you have to do is say you yielded, and then you can go to Luby's and then right back to your old life, with all of your peers assuring you that you are now "saved?"

That's my point. Christians who do no more than a Buddhist would...or less...and then condemn the Buddhist thereby condemning themselves who do the same....or less. The hypocrisy is in claiming too much for oneself and judging others for doing the same....or less.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Does it not teach the two great errors which echo back all the way to the serpent in the tree - that there is no death and that we can attain a higher plane of existence and become "one with the universe" which is nothing else but God status?
well, You are to be like gods, Phineman, and the other one can quite easily be developed in the Bible too, so my reply there is that you are condemning what are admittedly Propositions in Buddhism that are actually made into Requirements in Christianity, although with these two the one is essentially ignored while the other is warped into the very premise you seem to be arguing against, immortality, or what we call Eternal Life?

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, You are to be like gods, Phineman, and the other one can quite easily be developed in the Bible too, so my reply there is that you are condemning what are admittedly Propositions in Buddhism that are actually made into Requirements in Christianity, although with these two the one is essentially ignored while the other is warped into the very premise you seem to be arguing against, immortality, or what we call Eternal Life?
"gods" in the sense of "Earthly authority" and certainly not "divine being" such as what Buddhism's end game essentially is, for what else could "one with the universe" ever point to?

The practice of Eastern mediation where the goal is to "empty one's self" is demonic: it opens the door for demonic spirit entrance. Biblical meditation never involves such rubbish. It means to "think on" that which we are to fill our minds: the truth as it is in Jesus' Word.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not imo, but I notice that Two Men in a Bed are very quick to do this strictly on rumors wadr
The symbolism of Jesus' apocalyptic words is undeniable:

Two women grinding at the mill (pure church of Revelation 12 and the Whore of Babylon in Revelation 17)
two men in the field (true preachers giving out Bread of Life and false preachers preaching Dead Bread)
two men sleeping in a bed (those in the grave sleeping in Jesus and in the grave sleeping without Jesus)

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say it's undeniable, and this is wadr a sign to me now, it is code for something undeniable at least, yes. So then I will not deny it to you, to whom it is undeniable
Undeniable because Jesus was prophesied to "speak in parables, and without a parable spake He not unto them".

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I agree it is a parable, yes, but I suggest that there are more valid symbologies for that
Buddhism strikes me as more of a "method" and a means to an end, but Christianity is a way of life.