Are Christianity and Buddhism compatible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Pseudo-Enoch?
That book has no credibility.

Enoch lived pre-flood. There is no such thing as a written copy of what he said. We also do not know if his words were ever written or if they've always been orally transmitted. Or if only selected quotes were passed on.
see post 9 pls, or I mean buy a clue already lol
My comment on Catholicism is nothing but fact.
ah, I wasn't aware you made any comment on Catholicism, ok, ty

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So you're not a Christian, just for clarity.
clarity lol, yikes, the irony...anyway, I am not inclined to testify of myself as you and most Christians seem to find acceptable, so as I already know that asking you what you mean by "Christian" will just elicit another non-answer/deflection type of response, along the lines of "the Bible determines who Christians are," wadr i'm not sure what to say here.
If "Christian" means those who have accepted that God might get their egos into immortality, then no I guess not

"Christians" are the ones who like to sing "When we all get to heaven," right

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Buddhism has no supreme being as God.
There are many false religions that have many false gods or spirits and no Supreme Being. Buddhism has Buddha as a god, no matter what they pretend. The shrines and temples are there with all the paraphernalia of idol worship. Devotion to Buddha is the same as devotion to Mary. Both false gods. Tibetan Buddhism includes Tantric practices (including "empowerment") which involve pagan deities (demons viewed as gods).

Another aspect of Buddha is Amitabha, and for all intents and purposes he is a god who gives his devotees a new birth into a new land.

"By the power of his vows, Amitābha has made it possible for all who call upon him to be reborn into this land, there to undergo instruction by him in the dharma and ultimately become bodhisattvas and buddhas in their turn (the ultimate goal of Mahāyāna Buddhism). From there, these same bodhisattvas and buddhas return to our world to help yet more people." Wikipedia

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The history of Buddhism is little understood. Originally, Budda was seeking an answer from the God of his fathers as to whether or not statues of the Persian kings should be put into their Hindu temples of worship and worshipped along side of the one God that they worshipped. Sadly Budda did not have a connection to God whereby he could interact with God to receive the direction he was seeking as to whether or not the statue of the Persian king should also be worshipped.

The Hindu people at that time were of an Arian race which had migrated eastwards from the middle east and were descendants of Abraham, who had taught his family by his wife, Keturah, about God whom he worshipped. Before Abraham died he sent this family away from his son Isaac. One branch of this family went down into the Sinai to wait for around 630 years for Moses to come out into the desert, so that Ruel, a descendant of Abraham, who was a friend of God, could instruct Moses about the things of the God of Israel. The descendants of Keturah, Abraham's wife were call an Arian race.

Because Budda did not heard from the God that he worshipped, he said that their was no god and out of this Buddhism has grown.

Much of the wisdom literature of Buddhism can be traced back to the Biblical writings. However the understanding within Buddhism has lost that connection with the God originally worshipped within the temple in the Indus and Ganges river catchments areas where the Arian nation settled after leaving the Middle East.

Shalom

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many false religions that have many false gods or spirits and no Supreme Being. Buddhism has Buddha as a god, no matter what they pretend. The shrines and temples are there with all the paraphernalia of idol worship. Devotion to Buddha is the same as devotion to Mary. Both false gods. Tibetan Buddhism includes Tantric practices (including "empowerment") which involve pagan deities (demons viewed as gods).

Another aspect of Buddha is Amitabha, and for all intents and purposes he is a god who gives his devotees a new birth into a new land.

"By the power of his vows, Amitābha has made it possible for all who call upon him to be reborn into this land, there to undergo instruction by him in the dharma and ultimately become bodhisattvas and buddhas in their turn (the ultimate goal of Mahāyāna Buddhism). From there, these same bodhisattvas and buddhas return to our world to help yet more people." Wikipedia

Depends on how you defined god.

If they elevate him above all else he is in fact there God. If they do not he isn't.

Technically they have no god, but in reality I agree he is their god.

Either way they are doomed to the lake unless they change.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Buddhism is becoming more popular in the West than ever before - even within Christian circles. buddhists claim that Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion. A core belief is that attachment to illusion is the cause of suffering.

Is this contrary to Christianity? Harmful to a persons walk with Christ? Incompatible with Christianity?

Verses and discussion, please
so, you might do better with this in a more open forum maybe; unless Buddhism has a scheme for Death More Abundantly that I am not aware of

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like the philosophies of the iChing, Lao-Tzu, and Confucius as the teaching was on practical living and did not focus on man. Buddhism took these teachings to an extreme.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The body of Christ is composed of the coheirs of Israel and church, meaning the Saints in both.

There are also those saved who came to God before Israel existed and those who could not hear the gospel or the message of Israel but came to God per the law of conscience.

But the religions of today that do not accept the biblical God are not going to be save unless they change and repent.

The Pope says there are many paths to God through many religions.

There is no such thing as many paths to God.

The Bible is quite clear there is only one path to salvation and that is the biblical Christ.

Jesus is the only way.....there is more than one way to Jesus

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is the only way to reconcilliation with the Father. There is more than one way to know Jesus. Seems straightfoward to me

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depends on how you defined god.

If they elevate him above all else he is in fact there God. If they do not he isn't.

Technically they have no god, but in reality I agree he is their god.

Either way they are doomed to the lake unless they change.

Actually, Buddhists believe enlightenment is available for all who seek it, not just Buddha

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, Christianity is not to have any adulterates. How would the gospel be enhanced in any measure by merging it with buddhism or any other religion? Is Christ not sufficient enough??

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
clarity lol, yikes, the irony...anyway, I am not inclined to testify of myself as you and most Christians seem to find acceptable, so as I already know that asking you what you mean by "Christian" will just elicit another non-answer/deflection type of response, along the lines of "the Bible determines who Christians are," wadr i'm not sure what to say here.
If "Christian" means those who have accepted that God might get their egos into immortality, then no I guess not

"Christians" are the ones who like to sing "When we all get to heaven," right

You don't need to say anything. You have made it clear you're not a Christian.