Are christians justified by faith only?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
Nay. They are not. People who imagine that they are somehow justified by faith only have been admonished by the law which saith:

"Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar."
— (Proverbs 30:6).

It is written again:

"Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."
— (Deuteronomy 4:2).

The Word of God testifies that:

"If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God..."
— (1 Peter 4:11).

We can therefore not say that christians are justified by faith only. Because the oracles of God say no such foolish thing. Having said this, Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God has written to us who are christians that we are:

"...Justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: by whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God."
— (Romans 5:1-2).

Furthermore, holy scriptures make it manifest many times that the royal priesthood is:

"...Not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law..."
— (Galatians 2:16).

Even Abraham, who is the father of all them that believe, was justified by faith. He believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. As it is written that God:

"...Brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness."
— (Genesis 15:5-6).

It is written again:

"...If Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness."
— (Romans 4:2-3).

Abraham was not justified by the works of the law:

"...For by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

But, Abraham was not justified by faith only. Because:

"...As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."
— (James 2:26).

Abraham was justified by works and not by faith only. As it is written:

"Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?"
— (James 2:21-22).

And what happened when Abraham's faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

"...The scripture was FULFILLED which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God."
— (James 2:23).

This is where the scripture in Genesis 15:6 concerning Abraham was fulfilled. As it is written:

"And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, and said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: that in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast OBEYED MY VOICE."
— (Genesis 22:15-18).

It is therefore true that:

"...By works a man is justified, and NOT by faith only."
— (James 2:24).

For what is it called when a man obeyes not the voice of the LORD? Rebellion. And rebellion:

"...Is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry..."
— (1 Samuel 15:23).

And where shall sorcerers and idolaters end up? They:

"...Shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."
— (Revelation 21:8).

People who say that they are justified by faith only are therefore not abiding in the doctrine of Christ and also are not christians. As it is written:

"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son."
— (2 John 1:9).

These are they of whom it is written:

"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate."
— (Titus 1:16).

May this message be a blessing to those who have ears to hear. Because deep calleth unto deep at the noise of his waterspouts.

Last edited:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: Are christians Justified by faith only?
Nay. They are not.
Correct, Precious friend, and a Warm Welcome. We, christians, are, By God, Justified:

"For By Grace are ye Saved Through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is
the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)​

I have decided to follow Jesus?

Amen.

Last edited:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nay. They are not. People who imagine that they are somehow justified by faith only have been admonished by the law which saith:

It is written again:

"Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."

We can therefore not say that christians are justified by faith only. Because the oracles of God say no such foolish thing. Having said this, Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God has written to us who are christians that we are:

"...Justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: by whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God."

Furthermore, holy scriptures make it manifest many times that the royal priesthood is:

"...Not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law..."

Even Abraham, who is the father of all them that believe, was justified by faith. He believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. As it is written that God:

"...Brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness."

It is written again:

"...If Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness."

"...As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

"Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?"

And what happened when Abraham's faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

"...The scripture was FULFILLED which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God."

This is where the scripture in Genesis 15:6 concerning Abraham was fulfilled. As it is written:

"And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, and said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: that in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast OBEYED MY VOICE."

For what is it called when a man obeyes not the voice of the LORD? Rebellion. And rebellion:

"...Is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry..."

"...Shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

People who say that they are justified by faith only are therefore not abiding in the doctrine of Christ and also are not christians. As it is written:

"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son."

"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate."

May this message be a blessing to those who have ears to hear. Because deep calleth unto deep at the noise of his waterspouts.
Could you clarify please.
How are people saved?

You've said what they are not saved by, that is, they are not saved by faith in Jesus.
So what does save them?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Blood of Christ saves them. Righteousness by faith. Are we just using semantics? Maybe I'm not understanding. I'm not trying to be difficult.♥

We repent, and ask the Lord for forgiveness.
Then He forgives us, and gives us the holy Spirit, and we become new creatures in Christ. We want to do His will.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is written again:

It is written again:

Welcome to the forum, I agree they are not

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had always thought that we are justified through faith, and the results are that we become a new creature, and want to do His will. That is sanctification.
Well that is because that is true . James and paul were not at odds at all with one another .
James was reminding the church just like paul also would . They both knew dead faith dont save .
And James was stirring the church up with reminders that if one is lip only
yet in works deny Him , then they dont truly know Him .
cause as paul once wrote , more than once , IF HE BE IN US then we are HIS workmanship created unto good works .
There simply is a big difference between true faith and dead faith .
And it was very wise that james , by the Spirit , did remind the church about that .
Just like pual did to timothy
when he also wrote and said if any provides not for His own and specially for those of his own household
He has DENIED THE FAITH . Those reminders are very good for the church .
Those reminders help to stir us up . This too is why peter reminded them
and Said even though YOU know these things and i will be negligent to stir them up to put them in remembrance of these things.
GOD truly knows How to keep the church safe and thriving .
All reminders , both grave ones and all reminders are necessary for the good of the church .
Every lovely word of those reminders is just good for our soul .

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For we reckon that a man is justified by faith apart from works of Torah. - Romans 3:28

I've got a two-inch thick theology book on my bookshelf titled Justification. Theologians have kept themselves busy since the time of Luther exploring what Paul meant by that.

δικαιόω - verb, to justify.
  1. to render righteous or such he ought to be
  2. to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered
  3. to declare, pronounce, one to be just, righteous, or such as he ought to be

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man's justification is our  Salvation, however it is our beginning in  our relationship with God.
He provided the means of reconciliation of man to himself through the word, Jesus; the Son of God/ the Son of man. John 3:16

This is by no means the  only event to take place in a follower's walk in righteousness. After we are justified, we are sanctified in a process of being sanctified in the word by the Spirit. Then @ our end, we are glorified through death or by being alive @ his second coming.

We are sanctified, prepared for the works of our faith that are prepared by God, through his Spirit. These are first to share the gospel of Christ, ALL JUSTIFIED ARE CALLED TO DO THIS. Then the gifts of teaching, helps, preaching, the word of knowledge & wisdom ECT are given to whom the Spirit allots them. Prayer & study of the word, rightly divided, in the Spirit with context ARE OUR DUTY as a followers of Christ!

Some want to STOP @ salvation & move no further, this is " failure to thrive" in the word of God; therefore " failure to thrive" in the growing of faith by God's works.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is written again:

It is written again:

We are justified also (see the parable of the tax collector and Pharisee) by accepting the truth that we are sinners and in need of repentance. So we must provide fruit meet for repentance. Then God might justify us.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man's justification is our  Salvation, however it is our beginning in  our relationship with God.
He provided the means of reconciliation of man to himself through the word, Jesus; the Son of God/ the Son of man. John 3:16

This is by no means the  only event to take place in a follower's walk in righteousness. After we are justified, we are sanctified in a process of being sanctified in the word by the Spirit. Then @ our end, we are glorified through death or by being alive @ his second coming.

We are sanctified, prepared for the works of our faith that are prepared by God, through his Spirit. These are first to share the gospel of Christ, ALL JUSTIFIED ARE CALLED TO DO THIS. Then the gifts of teaching, helps, preaching, the word of knowledge & wisdom ECT are given to whom the Spirit allots them. Prayer & study of the word, rightly divided, in the Spirit with context ARE OUR DUTY as a followers of Christ!

Some want to STOP @ salvation & move no further, this is " failure to thrive" in the word of God; therefore " failure to thrive" in the growing of faith by God's works.
Good post.
Some see James and Paul at odds with works and faith....but they really were not.

Sometimes the translations do not help. Because of some of the translations some Protestants are confused and have a negative view of Good Deeds. The Greek word for this can be translated either works or Deeds and should be translated in context. But some times they are not translated correctly, the KJV is famous for this.

Usually when the scriptures are discussing works, they are talking about the Mosaic Law, which has nothing to do with salvation.

Salvation can only be achieved through faith in Christ. But Christianity is not like a club, sign up for it and go about your business ....if belief in Christ does not change you and your life....odds are, it did not take....LOL A follower of Christ means you take Him as a example for your life.

But what should Christians do…..just because they are Christians?
Love God and each other.
Be good and do good.
Do good for others....help those that Christ puts in your path.
On your journey in Christianity....Workout your own salvation with fear and trembling.... Philippians 2:12

Doing good for others does not save you but....store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal...Matthew 6:20. So helping others pleases the Lord.
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1st Peter 4:8

But still loving each other and helping each other does not get you to heaven....But according to the parable of the Sheep and the Goats....not helping each other can get you to hell.

And of course Christians should "hang" with Christians and assemble in church to worship the Lord.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, my friend. I did not, nor will I ever say that.
You have denounce that people are saved by faith, as Christians are save by faith in Jesus, it follows that you have denounced saving faith in Jesus.

As I asked in my first reply to you, in post number 5, How are people saved?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And some see God's Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided to avoid the Confusing Contradiction 'seen':

I have decided to follow Jesus?

Amen.
Religious circle talk? LOL
Or is that the definition of confusion....
Good to follow Yeshua.......No person named with a J in the scriptures....LOL
I do not want to guess what you mean....

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
You have denounce that people are saved by faith, as Christians are save by faith in Jesus, it follows that you have denounced saving faith in Jesus.

As I asked in my first reply to you, in post number 5, How are people saved?
My friend, why is it that you falsely accuse me and then expect an answer from me? I don’t give that which is holy unto the dogs, neither do I cast my pearls before swine. It is written, Wherefore is there a price in the hand of a fool to get wisdom, seeing he hath no heart to it?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are justified also (see the parable of the tax collector and Pharisee) by accepting the truth that we are sinners and in need of repentance. So we must provide fruit meet for repentance. Then God might justify us.

You wrote "We can therefore not say that christians are justified by faith only."

Romans 3:21-25 says, "But now, apart from the law, the righteousness of God has been disclosed and is attested by the Law and the Prophets, the righteousness of God through the faith of Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction, since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a sacrifice of atonement by his blood, effective through faith."

Paul wrote that all who believe are justified [present tense] by God's grace. You wrote "So we must provide fruit meet for repentance. Then God might justify us." Should I believe you or Paul?

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You wrote "We can therefore not say that christians are justified by faith only." Have you read Ephesians 2:8-9? "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God—not the result of works, so that no one may boast."
and @dev553344

Here ya go....
Some see James and Paul at odds with works and faith....but they really were not.

Sometimes the translations do not help. Because of some of the translations some Protestants are confused and have a negative view of Good Deeds. The Greek word for this can be translated either works or Deeds and should be translated in context. But some times they are not translated correctly, the KJV is famous for this.

Usually when the scriptures are discussing works, they are talking about the Mosaic Law, which has nothing to do with salvation.

Salvation can only be achieved through faith in Christ. But Christianity is not like a club, sign up for it and go about your business ....if belief in Christ does not change you and your life....odds are, it did not take....LOL A follower of Christ means you take Him as a example for your life.

But what should Christians do…..just because they are Christians?
Love God and each other.
Be good and do good.
Do good for others....help those that Christ puts in your path.
On your journey in Christianity....Workout your own salvation with fear and trembling.... Philippians 2:12

Doing good for others does not save you but....store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal...Matthew 6:20. So helping others pleases the Lord.
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1st Peter 4:8

But still loving each other and helping each other does not get you to heaven....But according to the parable of the Sheep and the Goats....not helping each other can get you to hell.

And of course Christians should "hang" with Christians and assemble in church to worship the Lord.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You wrote "We can therefore not say that christians are justified by faith only."

Romans 3:21-25 says, "But now, apart from the law, the righteousness of God has been disclosed and is attested by the Law and the Prophets, the righteousness of God through the faith of Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction, since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a sacrifice of atonement by his blood, effective through faith."

Paul wrote that all who believe are justified [present tense] by God's grace. You wrote "So we must provide fruit meet for repentance. Then God might justify us." Should I believe you or Paul?
You don't sound like you know the scriptures. We are justified by God in various ways, for instance: Faith, Works, accepting you're a sinner and in need of mercy.

You wrote: "Should I believe you or Paul?"

So you think I wrote the bible then? Interesting as the bible spells out justification for the tax collector. This was written as the words of Christ.

You should have wrote: "Should I believe Jesus or Paul".

And then you would have been wrong anyways. As both were correct. Keep reading your bible and quit ignoring passages. But instead make harmony with all of it.