Are Christians to forgive everyone or only those who repent?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you're under attack. Scripture says resist the devil and he will flee from you. In other words, we come under a spiritual attack, especially when it comes to bitterness of heart (which is kinda what James is about), and when that happens we have to spiritually resist it. It also says we are to humble ourselves, and in this context I mean in prayer. Spend some time in prayer. Pour your heart out and tell Him EXACTLY how you feel, about the situation, about the people who you are having trouble forgiving... all of it. Let it out.

I can promise you what will happen. He will speak to you, and turn things in a new and better direction. Trust me.

Well, isn't it a moot point anyway? According to you, I don't even need to worry about it because they haven't asked me to forgive them??

Reactions: Waiting on him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, isn't it a moot point anyway? According to you, I don't even need to worry about it because they haven't asked me to forgive them??

Yes, but I also told you that YOU are to walk in a Spirit of love, joy, peace, and strength at all times. If your heart is bearing any resentment still (which maybe it is not but I get the impression from some of your posts that it is), then you are not where your answer is yet. Your answer is to be happy again, and that comes by...

You know what. Let me put it this way. I believe the act of forgiveness involves two people, but the act of simply letting it go on your end is something you do NOT need anything from them in order to do. I do believe in that. I have to let things go all the time as a matter of fact. So how about that? Do we agree that Christians should let things go, if only for their own sakes if the other person won't ask for forgiveness?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we truly counted it as all dung, satan would have nothing left to negotiate with. Consider the wilderness temptation of Christ, and ask yourself is it not all temporary?
Remember Moses’s posey wanted to return to the meet pots.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but I also told you that YOU are to walk in a Spirit of love, joy, peace, and strength at all times. If your heart is bearing any resentment still (which maybe it is not but I get the impression from some of your posts that it is), then you are not where your answer is yet. Your answer is to be happy again, and that comes by...

You know what. Let me put it this way. I believe the act of forgiveness involves two people, but the act of simply letting it go on your end is something you do NOT need anything from them in order to do. I do believe in that. I have to let things go all the time as a matter of fact. So how about that? Do we agree that Christians should let things go, if only for their own sakes if the other person won't ask for forgiveness?

I'm praying for you, btw. Have been through most of this conversation.
You're gonna make it, SBG. It may take awhile, but you're gonna make it just fine : )

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its quite obviously pride in me. I want her to stop being so ugly and mean to me. I want to be treated kindly.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its quite obviously pride in me. I want her to stop being so ugly and mean to me. I want to be treated kindly.

I know how it is.

If Waiting was referring to Jesus, I agree with Him fully here. The only One who makes me feel truly loved is Him, so I refocus my mind on all the good things He has done for me and how much He loves me.

Once I've spent some time with Him again, I feel better, and I'm better able to let what others have said and done to me go.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know how it is.

If Waiting was referring to Jesus, I agree with Him fully here. The only One who makes me feel truly loved is Him, so I refocus my mind on all the good things He has done for me and how much He loves me.

Once I've spent some time with Him again, I feel better, and I'm better able to let what others have said and done to me go.
His well is full of Living water!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want her to stop being so ugly and mean to me.

I don't know exactly who this is, btw, and what the exact situation is, but if it's a live-in or work-with type relationship where you have to be around her a lot, one of the first things I would pray for is a way where I don't have to be around her all the time so much. You need time with those who DO love you, and less time with those who upset you.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was watching a tv show the other night where codependency was being discussed and the host said that parents need to learn to say no, then he turned to the dependent one and said... it is also equally important for you to learn to say no thank you.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you sure its not pride? I'm wanting others to treat me well.
What do I know, we all have emotional desires we want met. Codependents are the worst they need the inadequacy of others to make themselves feel adequate. They’ll keep their victims crippled at any cost. The wells empty. Cleave to your Husband

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure there's any codependent issue here...I think she's just real mean to me and I want her to stop...

But I'm not sure trying to run away from her is right. I think to love her is right. To forgive her is right. I actually think...I've been snookered (once again!) into thinking temptation is sinning...I'm pretty stupid when it comes to retention.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure there's any codependent issue here...I think she's just real mean to me and I want her to stop...

But I'm not sure trying to run away from her is right. I think to love her is right. To forgive her is right. I actually think...I've been snookered (once again!) into thinking temptation is sinning...I'm pretty stupid when it comes to retention.
Do you know what a codependent is?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do I know, we all have emotional desires we want met. Codependents are the worst they need the inadequacy of others to make themselves feel adequate. They’ll keep their victims crippled at any cost. The wells empty. Cleave to your Husband

That's what codependent is?? To need others to be and feel inadequate so they can feel good? That describes her...