Are Christians to forgive everyone or only those who repent?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stunned By Grace, when I first responded to this thread, it was simply to clarify that the act of giving and receiving forgiveness is a two-way street. and different than simply letting go of something on our end. But where you yourself are concerned, yes. You need to let go, or if you must, you need to "forgive" even if she does not ask for it.

I'm saying that at the risk of completely screwing up a clearer understanding of the term, LoL, but if it helps then yes. You need to forgive her.

Maybe Giuliano put it best by saying, sincerely "wishing (in your heart) she could be forgiven," i.e. by asking for it from you. :)

Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe, just as with so much else, forgiveness is not what I've believed it to be. Maybe it is just realizing that you do not want what someone has done to you to be held against them in heaven...
I think it is something like that. Jesus did not say he forgave the people crucifying him. He was hoping and praying for God to forgive them.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LoL. Just caught this.

No, I had lasagna instead. :D

I was just playing around, by the way. I know it's hard to read people's emotions on computer, but when I capitalize things sometimes I'm just doing it for emphasis, not because I'm upset.

I'm A-Ok, sister. No problems here. Just hoping you can get through this to being happy again.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 12:2 KJV
[2] And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

We’ve all had this world write on our blank slate, but now we have a new heart and Christ has written what it shall be.

Tecarta Bible

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My thoughts have been in this very place S.G. So, what to do when they refuse to even take credit for their wrongdoings? Even "The Church" would not hear it...the pastor (my old pastor) said, "you got one minute" as he quickly walked away from me and I cannot walk fast or I'd be on my face...he knows that so now there is hurt as well as anger I am dealing with. Even Christians can be blind to truth. Sad for sure. I have to put it on the back burner to simmer while God works in my own heart because I do not know where else to go or do...so I do ...nothing. Prayers yes, have gotten that far yet, it still pricks.

At least you're honest about it. You aren't lying and trying to appear holy or make others think you're a saint.

Over the last two days or so I think I've concluded that I'm just going to keep being honest. Like you said, just keep going to God with it. Its all I got too Nancy.

Mal'ak

Jan 15, 2019
Cedar City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They do not contradict each other, you are to forgive everyone that asks to be forgiven. If someone says sorry to you and you still hold a grudge, then it is you that are now sinning and having a hateful heart. There is lots of fairy tales of "grace only saves", life is a "free ride". This is obviously lazy and absurd as we all know who live in this life that God has made it so we need to work and labor for everything.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Christianity is about works and effort to show if you are righteous, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins". It is not automatic, if God commanded we forgive everyone of their sins even if they did not ask for it, then he would be bound by his law to do the same. Which means all the evil and non-believers would go to Heaven, because none would have sin so none would go to Hell, since everyone is automatically forgiven their sins.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The pastor in our bible study remarked that we're called to forgive any offense, yet the following two verses seem to contradict one another and I wondered how others converged the two verses. The one verse does call us to forgive all offenses, yet the verse in Luke calls us to rebuke and seems to make forgiveness conditional upon whether someone repents or not.

Matthew 6:15

“But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

Luke 17:3

“Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.”
are you elohim, or no? Yah-Theos forgave us while we were yet sinners right, Romans 5:8 Lexicon: But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Maybe, just as with so much else, forgiveness is not what I've believed it to be. Maybe it is just realizing that you do not want what someone has done to you to be held against them in heaven...

This is insightful, maybe it is complete in just petitions for His forgiveness for them?

I think it is something like that. Jesus did not say he forgave the people crucifying him. He was hoping and praying for God to forgive them.

I thought these posts were EXCELLENT!!

Yes , Jesus said " Father forgive them for they know not what they do."

Well spotted @stunnedbygrace ...I have never seen this said before...as far as I can remember...these three posts together are "quite the sermon"

Selah.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Christianity is about works and effort to show if you are righteous, thumbdown[1].gif No it isn't

if God commanded we forgive everyone of their sins even if they did not ask for it, then He would be bound by His law to do the same.
Which means all the evil and non-believers would go to Heaven, because none would have sin so none would go to Hell, since everyone is automatically forgiven their sins.

Yay!! Now there is a powerful thought . Lets go with that then :)
thumbup1[1].gif