Are Jehovah’s Witness Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Jehovah's Witnesses Beliefs

The religious beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses are in some ways similar to those of orthodox Christians, but in other ways they are quite different. For example, Jehovah's Witnesses believe in one God, the authority of the Bible (i.e. The New World Translation), and they emphasize the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ in their teachings. (Learn more about The New World Translation.)

Yet the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses differ from mainstream Christianity as well. Most notably they reject the doctrine of the Trinity and the existence of Hell. Witnesses also have stronger apocalyptic expectations than most Christians. Since the founding of the group, Witnesses have been expecting the imminent arrival of Armageddon and the end times.

The following article summarizes the doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses, noting where they agree and disagree with mainstream Christian doctrines.

Bible and Jehovah's Witnesses
In agreement with most orthodox Christians, Jehovah's Witnesses affirm the full inspiration of the Bible by God and the preservation of its copies over the centuries. Witnesses see the Bible as a gift from God that tells humans about what God is like, how to cope with problems, and how to please God. [1] Witnesses use a special translation of the Bible - The New World Translation, which sometimes translates key passages, such as those about the nature of Jesus Christ, differently than other reputable English-language Bible translations. (Compare John 1:1-3 and Philippians 2:5-8 in the New World Translation and the King James Version or the New International Version.)

God in Jehovah's Witnesses doctrine
Jehovah's Witnesses believe in one God, the Creator of the universe and the God of the Hebrew and Christian scriptures. They stress the fact that God has revealed his personal name to humanity, which is Jehovah. Jehovah has a spirit body and lives in heaven, but sees all things. Jehovah's Witnesses reject the doctrine of the Trinity. [2]

Jesus Christ in Jehovah's Witnesses belief
Jehovah's Witnesses disagree with the mainstream Christian belief that Jesus was "fully God, fully man." Witnesses teach that Jesus was not God, but rather God's first creation. Jesus existed in pre-human form as God's agent of creation and God's chief spokesman (the Word), and took on human form as the man Jesus by means of a virgin birth. (See Jesus Christ in Christianity)

The purpose of Jesus' incarnation on earth was threefold in the view of Witnesses: (1) To teach the truth about God; (2) to provide a model of a perfect life for people to follow; and (3) to sacrifice his life to set humans free from sin and death. His crucifixion was not on a cross, but a single upright stake. After his death, God raised Jesus from the dead "as a spirit creature" and Jesus returned to his home in heaven. Jesus was not made King, however, until 1914. [3]

The Holy Spirit according to Jehovah's Witnesses
In accordance with their rejection of the doctrine of the Trinity, Witnesses disagree with mainstream Christianity that the Holy Spirit is one of the three Persons in the Godhead. Instead, they believe the Holy Spirit to be "God's active force." [4] (See the Holy Spirit in Christianit

Hypocrite; You copy paste from some source in an attempt to stir up contravery. You speak of belief in the inspired scriptures, but do not believe it yourself. You quote beliefs on the Holy Spirit but do not believe in or want the Indwelling Spirit.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MY neighbor says yes they are, however he as a Jehovah does not believe that Jesus is the son of God. Now I do not care what he believes, however I fail to see how a Christian would not accept and acknowledge the risen Christ.

Not trying to flame any JW's but Catholics, Baptist, Protestants and every other Christian denomination that I know all see Christ as the son of God

So. Are Jehovah’s Witness Christians?
They believe Jesus died for their sins and rose from the dead. They are obedient to Him and study the Bible rigorously (of course this is a different translation, one that has removed the word Lord that is used some 7000 times and replaced it with Jehovah). The essential changes concern doctrines that don't work well for their beliefs. The are non-Trinitarian, believe Jesus is a created being and actually the incarnation of the Archangel Michael. This is why they don't worship Him as we do, simply we are not supposed worship or bow down to angels. I have studied them for a long time and know they are faithful, caring and loving individuals. They remind me of Jews who try to keep the Law and believe in salvation by works. The sad part is they are deprived of celebrating just about anything accept a Marriage, anniversary or maybe a graduation ceremony. They claim the Bible doesn't tell us to celebrate Jesus birthday or resurrection, holidays, or our own birthdays. I think Job 1 has a birthday celebration in there. Anyways, not being a Trinitarian, they don't believe the Holy Spirit is a person. They believe it is a force, the power of God. For that reason, they don't get baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. They don't ask for the Holy Spirit and when they teach ( and I have been to several meetings and conventions) they misinterpret scripture, because they are not filled with the Spirit. This is primarily why their church has not grown. In 100 years, they only have 8.6 million worldwide - that is not growth. Yet in America alone they go out and service door to door, passing out their Watchtower magazines for 200 million hours a year. They are devoted. I have know JW's who have done this for 50 years and can't recall 1 conversion due to their efforts.
Sorry, I did not answer your question yet. Yes, I believe that they believe only the Holy Spirit does not grow their church. But they are Christians, just out on a dry unfruitful limb.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
They believe Jesus died for their sins and rose from the dead. They are obedient to Him and study the Bible rigorously (of course this is a different translation, one that has removed the word Lord that is used some 7000 times and replaced it with Jehovah). The essential changes concern doctrines that don't work well for their beliefs. The are non-Trinitarian, believe Jesus is a created being and actually the incarnation of the Archangel Michael. This is why they don't worship Him as we do, simply we are not supposed worship or bow down to angels. I have studied them for a long time and know they are faithful, caring and loving individuals. They remind me of Jews who try to keep the Law and believe in salvation by works. The sad part is they are deprived of celebrating just about anything accept a Marriage, anniversary or maybe a graduation ceremony. They claim the Bible doesn't tell us to celebrate Jesus birthday or resurrection, holidays, or our own birthdays. I think Job 1 has a birthday celebration in there. Anyways, not being a Trinitarian, they don't believe the Holy Spirit is a person. They believe it is a force, the power of God. For that reason, they don't get baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. They don't ask for the Holy Spirit and when they teach ( and I have been to several meetings and conventions) they misinterpret scripture, because they are not filled with the Spirit. This is primarily why their church has not grown. In 100 years, they only have 8.6 million worldwide - that is not growth. Yet in America alone they go out and service door to door, passing out their Watchtower magazines for 200 million hours a year. They are devoted. I have know JW's who have done this for 50 years and can't recall 1 conversion due to their efforts.
Sorry, I did not answer your question yet. Yes, I believe that they believe only the Holy Spirit does not grow their church. But they are Christians, just out on a dry unfruitful limb.

do they teach its a sin to celebrate the birthday of Jesus?

ken copeland, benny hinn and joyce meyer have churches with huge growth, are they good Christians?

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

ken copeland, benny hinn and joyce meyer have churches with huge growth, are they good Christians?

They believe Christmas came from a pagan holiday and don't want any part of it and prohibit any celebration, accepting gifts, giving them. Their conscience seems to bother them, because they seem to get this spirit of giving around that time of the year - just not on that day. What I understand is that a hundred years ago, Charles Taze Russel, their founder, came out of the SDA and branched off on his own. He had taught different doctrines, and tried to get His church accepted as a denomination. They were turned down, so went off on their own and chose to distance themselves from all Christians outside their own organization. They often criticize churches on the outside, pick out pastors or sinfulness and compare their righteousness with everyone else's. Like the story of the man who prayed, Lord, I thank you that I am not like those sinners. But they are sinners like anyone else.
Are you asking me to judge Christians, if they are good of not? Sorry, won't do it. There is no perfect church, we all are sinners. Judge not lest you be judged!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
after reviewing a few posts, it seems like it's a bunch of JW in all of US. it's like the pot calling the kettle black, and there are a lots of pot here.

let clear the air, and reveal something about all of us.

God the Father is "CREATOR" and MAKER of all things, correct. Isaiah 42:5 "Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:"

so clear as DAY the LORD, all caps is the "CREATOR" correct... right. and the LORD, all caps is also Father, Isaiah 63:16 "Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting."

ok knowing that, now this, Revelation 4:1 "After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter."Revelation 4:2 "And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne."Revelation 4:3 "And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald."

so ONE sat on the throne, now this, Revelation 4:10 "The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,"Revelation 4:11 "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

so it's the CREATOR of all things who sit on the throne.... right... right... read it again for clarity. and the Father is the CREATOR, now, is this the "Father", the CREATOR who sits on the throne here in Revelation 4:11? you who say the Father is not the son, and the son is not the Holy Ghost, and the Holy Ghost is not the Father..... please tell us all, "is this the Father who sits on the Throne, yes or no?" that's a simple question, so just simply answer with a Yes or No.

thanks in advance.

Now many put down the JW as not believing in a three person Godhead.hood... well let's see what you really believe........

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My, My, MY, a simple question like this should not be hard to answer....

PICJAG

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
They believe Christmas came from a pagan holiday and don't want any part of it and prohibit any celebration, accepting gifts, giving them. Their conscience seems to bother them, because they seem to get this spirit of giving around that time of the year - just not on that day. What I understand is that a hundred years ago, Charles Taze Russel, their founder, came out of the SDA and branched off on his own. He had taught different doctrines, and tried to get His church accepted as a denomination. They were turned down, so went off on their own and chose to distance themselves from all Christians outside their own organization. They often criticize churches on the outside, pick out pastors or sinfulness and compare their righteousness with everyone else's. Like the story of the man who prayed, Lord, I thank you that I am not like those sinners. But they are sinners like anyone else.
Are you asking me to judge Christians, if they are good of not? Sorry, won't do it. There is no perfect church, we all are sinners. Judge not lest you be judged!

if they teach no Christmas as a community rule for their own church, i dont see that as a problem. if they teach Christmas is a sin and people like you and me are sinners if we celebrate, thats a different thing.

you said their growth was small. i have visited lots of churches, i have found, IMO, the smaller churches have a more pure message, the bigger churches say what people want to hear to gain membership. i like the smaller churches and preachers not afraid to say it like it is.

i thought you already judged them:

But they are Christians, just out on a dry unfruitful limb.

isnt this you saying they are Christians but they are wrong?

i dont agree with some of their stuff but im not gonna call them wrong, i think all groups should be free to follow Jesus in whatever way they think is the best.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dont agree with some of their stuff but im not gonna call them wrong, i think all groups should be free to follow Jesus in whatever way they think is the best.
not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this. Jesus is the way, it's not our freedom to followe him in OUR WAY, and especially the way we think... scripture, Proverbs 14:12 "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."

PICJAG

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well lets see . Would you like the long answer to that question or the short answer .
OH i have time so lets give the long answer . are they good christians . HMM . NO WAY NO HOW THEY FALSE .
Guess i should have just given the short answer , NO .

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well lets see . Would you like the long answer to that question or the short answer .
OH i have time so lets give the long answer . are they good christians . HMM . NO WAY NO HOW THEY FALSE .
Guess i should have just given the short answer , NO .
thanks for the post, but if they are Good people, (not saying that they are not), they believe in the three person Godhead, correct. and I assume you too... correct. if so will you address my question in Post #48 please...

thanks in advance.

PICJAG

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thanks for the post, but if they are Good people, (not saying that they are not), they believe in the three person Godhead, correct. and I assume you too... correct. if so will you address my question in Post #48 please...

thanks in advance.

PICJAG
Lets address this first . Even the devils believe and tremble . Man look at their fruits . they are infected with the love of money .
They done sold their flocks out to rome as well . YE shall know them by their fruits . MEANS exactly that .
And those three are three of the most dangerous deceptive folks within christendom . AND they are not alone
i could bring us a list so long of false ones , even a texas road map would cringe with envy .

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets address this first . Even the devils believe and tremble . Man look at their fruits . they are infected with the love of money .
They done sold their flocks out to rome as well . YE shall know them by their fruits . MEANS exactly that .
And those three are three of the most dangerous deceptive folks within christendom . AND they are not alone
i could bring us a list so long of false ones , even a texas road map would cringe with envy .
Fine, I looked at it, so.... will you address the question in Post #48?

thanks.

PICJAG

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hypocrite; You copy paste from some source in an attempt to stir up contravery. You speak of belief in the inspired scriptures, but do not believe it yourself. You quote beliefs on the Holy Spirit but do not believe in or want the Indwelling Spirit.
Yeah . i been watching that one too . They is a bible hating machine . But act as though they are a true believer .

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For all those who believe that there is a three persons,
Folks gonna argue over this till the cows come home .
Nope, not really, if they answer the question in post #48 correctly........ :p

NOW, the call goes out again, all those who believe that there is a three persons, separate, and distinct one Godhead, this question in post #48 should be a breeze to answer... will be lookihg for your answer.

PICJAG

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Folks dont understand that GOD is HIS word and His Spirit .
true, but God is a plurality of himself.

since none are EAGAR to answer, but swift to call someone else in a cult... I will answer in the name of the Lord Jesus...... it's the Lord Jesus, whom many calls the "Son". are there any agreement here.... :eek: YIKES!. well lets see.

PICJAG