Are the Practical Needs of Life Just Distractions from the Pursuit of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have needs from our bodies that often take our minds off of God.

We need food, clothing, and shelter. But Jesus told us not to run after these things. Seek first the Kingdom of God.

But can chores, work, and busy-making become part of our pursuit of God? Is there a way to stay in communion with Him as we do these things. If so, what does that look like?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply have all affections and hope above on the LORD .
Who knows , even this very night a soul could be called Home . THEN what good was all that concern .
Just work and do as you must do . But keep all focus above on the LORD and worry over none of these things .
Rather let us spend much time talking about the LORD . Even as we work we can talk and witness about the glorious LORD .
Let us always PRAY and SEEK GOD . HE will have us do as we ought to do . Just trust in the glorious LORD .
Now put those hands up sister , ITS LORD PRAISING TIME in the digital building of this forum .
Yes indeed sister , let the praises with much thanksgivings be given unto the glorious LORD .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

We need food, clothing, and shelter. But Jesus told us not to run after these things. Seek first the Kingdom of God.

But can chores, work, and busy-making become part of our pursuit of God? Is there a way to stay in communion with Him as we do these things. If so, what does that look like?
Years ago I read book called 'Practicing the Presence of God' by a monk who wanted to know Gods presence in his life even when he was doing mundane tasks like washing up, or preparing food or scrubbing floors. It might help.
The Practice of the Presence of God eBook : Brother Lawrence: Amazon.co.uk: Books

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Keep always the first things first as per Matt 6:33, but as we are seeking His Kingdom and His righteousness, it will become necessary as a result to be a good steward of all that God has put under our choices and power. Those things are His, but they have been placed in our hands. To neglect them would, I believe, cause us to neglect also the first things cited.

Lu 12:42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?
Lu 12:43 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
Lu 12:44 Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.
Lu 12:45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;
Lu 12:46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.
Lu 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
Lu 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Reactions: Nancy and Wynona

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

Reactions: Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No doubt there are many distractions but are we in pursuit of God or is God in pursuit of us? Who takes the initiative? Who is the Lord and who is the servant?
The scripture says we are the apple of his eye; he who touches you touches me......and what is God to us? a convenience we pull up to get get get or ease our troubled consciences?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Constant prayer involves God in everything. There is nothing I do that I don't need His help to do well.

I remember one night when I was doing our load of dishes, and my back and neck were sore, making it hard to look down at what I was doing. I remember praying that God would enable me to to this chore by the power of His Spirit. My back and neck were immediately not healed, and remained in pain, but what did happen immediately was that I started actually rinsing and wiping the plates before loading the dishwasher, like my wife always wants me to.

I've never forgotten that little lesson.

Much love!