Are the words of Jesus still meant for Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are the words of Jesus still meant for Christians?

• Yes. We are to follow Christ and obey Him.

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • Sometimes, where it is convenient. Jesus' words are not to be taken as "gospel."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, we are now to follow Paul instead (different dispensation)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concerning the Gospel's
For us ...Yes
To us ... No

Concerning the Words of Jesus ....by the revelation given to Paul of the Church epistles....
for us ...Yes
to us ...Yes

Reactions: Triumph1300

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, of course we read and quote Jesus, but also from the, Jesus appointed, Apostle Paul; we read and quote Paul, because of his revelations from Jesus Christ. After all, we know about Grace, the body of Christ, rapture, Christian living, and much more, from the apostle Paul. I answer both, but there is not an option for it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What say you?
Was the Word of God ever meant for mankind?
Is Jesus now or has he ever been the Word of God?
Has anyone of us ever been a "Christian"? What exactly is that... a Christian that is?
Are all who are called Christian, his sheep?
Are Jesus words equal to the Word of God?
When will the words that Jesus spoke expire?

Re 19:13And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

Mt 24:35Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Are all who are Christians or who are named Christians, of God?

Joh 8:47He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Who is it that is able to hear his voice, his words?

Joh 10:27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me

Are we his sheep hearing his voice because we name ourselves as Christians?

Mt 11:15He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What say you?
What do you say, Episkopos?

If it wasn't for learning whom Jesus was, how can one really know how his life makes them right with God, and find peace, and also pick up their cross, and follow him? There is most certainly spiritual principles, but some things aren't physically applied to us today, at all.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What do you say, Episkopos?

If it wasn't for learning whom Jesus was, how can one really know how his life makes them right with God, and find peace, and also pick up their cross, and follow him? There is most certainly spiritual principles, but some things aren't physically applied to us today, at all.
If Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever, I would say listen to the Father who said to listen to Him.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Epi,

I love the telling of the transfiguration.

“But even as he spoke, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy. Listen to him.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭17‬:‭5‬ ‭NLT‬‬

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 12:47-49

47 And if any man hear my words, and believe NOT, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

48 He that rejecteth me and, receiveth NOT my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

I believe the word of God we have here, whatever the translation, will be what is opened in judgement, whether at the judgement seat of Christ, for the believer or the GWT before God, to those whom believed not.

THERE WILL BE NO EXCUSES!

This is YOUR choice...........

John 3

18] He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.19] And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Protestant theology has been primarily Pauline in character. (For obvious reasons: The Protestant Reformation was predicated on Romans 3:28.) Various theologians have noted that Paul did not follow Jesus during His earthly ministry and Paul almost never quotes any of Jesus's teachings. (1 Corinthians 11:24-26 and Acts 20:35 may be the exceptions.) As one put it, Paul seems to be more interested in the meaning of Messiah's death and resurrection in the context of the larger narrative of God's relationship with His Creation and His people than he is with Jesus's actual teachings.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Protestant theology has been primarily Pauline in character. (For obvious reasons: The Protestant Reformation was predicated on Romans 3:28.) Various theologians have noted that Paul did not follow Jesus during His earthly ministry and Paul almost never quotes any of Jesus's teachings. (1 Corinthians 11:24-26 and Acts 20:35 may be the exceptions.) As one put it, Paul seems to be more interested in the meaning of Messiah's death and resurrection in the context of the larger narrative of God's relationship with His Creation and His people than he is with Jesus's actual teachings.
And yet...we have the teachings of Jesus in the gospels. When too much emphasis is placed on our ideas of what Jesus did for all men (as per Paul) and not what He meant to say to His own disciples (as per Jesus Himself)...well.. we tend to become self-interested consumers looking for a product for what is interesting to us rather than be servants of God and do what is pleasing to Him.

What do you think?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, of course we read and quote Jesus, but also from the, Jesus appointed, Apostle Paul; we read and quote Paul, because of his revelations from Jesus Christ. After all, we know about Grace, the body of Christ, rapture, Christian living, and much more, from the apostle Paul. I answer both, but there is not an option for it.
Like many polls, this one is slanted to express the view of the poster.

Blanket statements tend to mislead, and we should not ignore the context of each passage on it's own.

Much love!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 12:47-49

47 And if any man hear my words, and believe NOT, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

48 He that rejecteth me and, receiveth NOT my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

I believe the word of God we have here, whatever the translation, will be what is opened in judgement, whether at the judgement seat of Christ, for the believer or the GWT before God, to those whom believed not.

THERE WILL BE NO EXCUSES!

This is YOUR choice...........

John 3

18] He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.19] And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Every WORD of JESUS is for us . Abraham BELIEVED What GOD said . but men will do as men will do .
Men will twist and omit whatever teachings of JESUS CHRIST gets in the way of their own personal loves and ambitions .
BUT , a lamb LOVETH ER WORD OF THE LORD and feasteth upon them . KNOWING FULL WELL THEY ARE TRUTH
and while this world , creation and all that is within shall fade away , THE WORDS OF GOD and of the LAMB SHALL ENDURE FOREVER
and shall be THE JUDGE OF ALL who denied HIM on the last day . LAMBS KNOW JESUS CHRIST and KNOW HE IS TRUTH
and HIS WORDS ARE SPIRIT and LIFE . The words i have spoken unto you are SPIRIT and they are LIFE .
Lambs KNOW THIS and love and embrace them as TRUTH to be loved and obeyed . but men do as men do
yet lamb DO AS THE KING said to DO and says to DO . Now raise those hands sister . ITS LORD PRAISING TIME again .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like many polls, this one is slanted to express the view of the poster.

Blanket statements tend to mislead, and we should not ignore the context of each passage on it's own.

Much love!
Heed no such man . He is an inclusivian . JESUS WORDS are for us as are the words the SPIRIT inspired through paul
and the other apostels . THERE is no contradiction within them . EPI loveth a lie my friend .
He believes other religoins have no need to EVEN BELIEVE ON CHIRST . Epi preaches a CHRISTLESS CROSS
and a false gosple . AND THIS LAMB will expose it on my watch no matter if i be banned for doing so . WE GONNA POINT TO JESUS
and not to men .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Heed no such man . He is an inclusivian . JESUS WORDS are for us as are the words the SPIRIT inspired through paul
and the other apostels . THERE is no contradiction within them . EPI loveth a lie my friend .
He believes other religoins have no need to EVEN BELIEVE ON CHIRST . Epi preaches a CHRISTLESS CROSS
and a false gosple . AND THIS LAMB will expose it on my watch no matter if i be banned for doing so . WE GONNA POINT TO JESUS
and not to men .
This bloviating of yours is tiresome and divisive...it projects your own inflated ego onto the forum with empty accusations that reflect your own dogmatic indoctrination.

Just say no to toxic polarization.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What say you?
"Yes. We are to follow Christ and obey Him." was the best choice for me. (to answer the topic question)
But "following and obeying" raises some serious questions. Anyone who claims they can do that isn't thinking it through.
It's a TALL order. Leave everything? Sell all your possessions? et all. Note these strong words below.

Luke 14:33 NIV
In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone of us ever been a "Christian"? What exactly is that... a Christian that is?
Great questions. Very interesting post.
I'll probably take some heat for my replies.

The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.
Based on that statement most claim that Jesus WAS the Word.
Which seems like a hasty conclusion to me.

What, or whom, was the Word/Logos before it/he became flesh.
Prior to being made flesh among us.
But, was that Jesus?
I would say, not UNTIL he/it became flesh.
"The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch." - Acts 11:26 NIV
Not by today's definition. Can be social, religious, or political.
I assume this would be a different definition than in John chapter one.
Some call an English translation of the Bible, of which none agree, "the Word of God".
When heaven and earth pass away?

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Episkopos: Context is also highly important as well.

Sometimes as human beings we will decide to systematically choose who verses work all while at the same time, corrupting the narrative and context; of who, why, what, when, where, how. That is always the danger for sure. Today, I believe most of all the narrative of the old testament, and the new testament where all to a people whom are all dead and gone onward. While that to me is the case - there are still historical, figurative, and spiritual lessons to learn through out the whole of the Bible itself. However it's up to a person whom is born again with the spirit to discern.

There are also those whom are of the mental ill status, or even autistic - while one can share what they believe in comprehension of the context as a whole - some may choose to believe what they do, and will never change their mind on matters.

That is why in the end, though the tower of babel has been knocked over - to love God first, and love your neighbor is important - and those who love themselves will cherish knowledge and wisdom in turn will prosper as the grace from God falls upon them. I could be wrong about anything - it's up to people to search for truth, and if they seek out God in faith, they will be rewarded. (Hebrews 11:6)