Are There Confessionals In Heaven?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@mjrhealth are you addressing the op there mjr?
ha well if ppl all die, they go extinct, right?
i pretty much believe what the Bible says there; we don't know and we can't even imagine, is the interpretation i get.
and my experience herenow with imagining some place that i highly anticipate going to but have never seen being what it is, i don't see much sense wasting time imagining about it myself.

Interesting. If there is no future 'anything' then what are the lessons of this life getting us ready for...?
A pretty corpse?

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@mjrhealth are you addressing the op there mjr?
ha well if ppl all die, they go extinct, right?
i pretty much believe what the Bible says there; we don't know and we can't even imagine, is the interpretation i get.
and my experience herenow with imagining some place that i highly anticipate going to but have never seen being what it is, i don't see much sense wasting time imagining about it myself.
You're pretty good at giving answers that don't really answer anything. :)

The reason for us is that it gives hope. If we have a prize and goal at the end, it gives us the strength to keep pressing on when things aren't so perfect.

1 Corinthians 15:16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;
1 Corinthians 15:17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.
1 Corinthians 15:18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.
1 Corinthians 15:19 If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.

and

Titus 2:13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Interesting. If there is no future 'anything' then what are the lessons of this life getting us ready for...?
A pretty corpse?
ah, i would never say that there is no future; just that i am directed to operate in today, and let tomorrow take care of itself. i refrain from imagining a tomorrow, and instead try to understand that what i sow today i will reap from tomorrow

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You're pretty good at giving answers that don't really answer anything. :)
"he who says he knows anything does not yet know"
and we even have a name for those who know, they are called oracles, and -mancers

we like to think that we can quantify truth, but truth is dialectic in nature; a fancy way of saying that we cannot codify truth into law, even though we are mightily trying to do this, with computer programming, etc, right now. A good physics explanation might be "we have no idea where this photon that we are about to shoot through these double-slits will end up hitting; it might even be right behind us"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The reason for us is that it gives hope. If we have a prize and goal at the end, it gives us the strength to keep pressing on when things aren't so perfect.
yes, but you might notice that this is also a perfectly good description of ppl with a vision who are working toward a goal, too; Ford with a car, Edison with a light bulb, anything

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
1 Corinthians 15:16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;
1 Corinthians 15:17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.
1 Corinthians 15:18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.
1 Corinthians 15:19 If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.
ok, first i would like to say that this might easily be applied to after i literally die, but it also can be applied to after i die daily
this might be a bit uncomfortable, but contemplate that Christ has been "raised up" as a concept to us, right, we are still here talking about Christ over 2000 years later, see. The Spirit is alive and well iow.

i certainly also have a hope of salvation and resurrection, don't get me wrong here, but i find it hypocritical that we are encouraged to believe that we can get our egos--the part that is supposed to die, right--into some eternal party in the afterlife. At the same time, after i die daily, i note that i am still here, i have not become a robot, i still have more opportunities to serve than i could possibly get to today, etc. but i have just become "the observer" rather than "the director."

and you can even tell when i take over the reins, i'm scoffing at something i don't understand, maybe, or doing some other ego-feeding thing that keeps me in the drivers seat, proselytizing, what have you, you name it, even service can be counterfeited right

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Titus 2:13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,
no reason you cannot meet Him in the air today, imo, and get "caught up" with them "in the clouds" (symbolically speaking, i don't even have to say what clouds rep, right). I will never leave you, nor forsake you. Christ appears when we open our eye, and He is Revealed to us, not when He does something else in violation of "it is finished."

imo

Reactions: amadeus

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
If perchance people in heaven retained their human nature, I would have to
answer with a yes to the OP's question. But seeing as how Col 2:11 and 2Pet
1:2-4 testify that people in heaven have shed their human nature in
exchange for divine nature; then I think it's pretty safe to answer with a no.

/
confessionals? no! for the reason you state, but confession? yes! God is in Heaven and He will accept your repentance which includes confession. so at this time confession is heard in the Kingdom of Heaven.

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok, first i would like to say that this might easily be applied to after i literally die, but it also can be applied to after i die daily
this might be a bit uncomfortable, but contemplate that Christ has been "raised up" as a concept to us, right, we are still here talking about Christ over 2000 years later, see. The Spirit is alive and well iow.

i certainly also have a hope of salvation and resurrection, don't get me wrong here, but i find it hypocritical that we are encouraged to believe that we can get our egos--the part that is supposed to die, right--into some eternal party in the afterlife. At the same time, after i die daily, i note that i am still here, i have not become a robot, i still have more opportunities to serve than i could possibly get to today, etc. but i have just become "the observer" rather than "the director."

and you can even tell when i take over the reins, i'm scoffing at something i don't understand, maybe, or doing some other ego-feeding thing that keeps me in the drivers seat, proselytizing, what have you, you name it, even service can be counterfeited right
You're really reaching here, man. Paul is making it pretty obvious what he is talking about here. The whole context of the passage deals with the physical resurrection of Jesus and the physical resurrection of believers who have died a real, physical death. Jesus, Himself, had some runnings in with some guys who thought like you, called the Sadducees. And He ended up eloquently proving to them that they had no idea what they were talking about when it came to their lack of belief in the resurrection and afterlife.

no reason you cannot meet Him in the air today, imo, and get "caught up" with them "in the clouds" (symbolically speaking, i don't even have to say what clouds rep, right). I will never leave you, nor forsake you. Christ appears when we open our eye, and He is Revealed to us, not when He does something else in violation of "it is finished."

imo
I completely agree that in the Spirit, we can experience being enraptured by the presence of God today. But the Bible has plenty to say about a time when we will be physically changed and glorified, too. I've felt the glory of God in my spirit, but I've never felt what it's like to be physically transfigured.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You're really reaching here, man. Paul is making it pretty obvious what he is talking about here. The whole context of the passage deals with the physical resurrection of Jesus and the physical resurrection of believers who have died a real, physical death. Jesus, Himself, had some runnings in with some guys who thought like you, called the Sadducees. And He ended up eloquently proving to them that they had no idea what they were talking about when it came to their lack of belief in the resurrection and afterlife.
i do not have a lack of belief in the resurrection/afterlife though, and i agree that the Sadds have that wrong too. i certainly share in this hope, ok, i just do not accept that it is defined in the Book in the way that the wise say it is; i believe it is stated that way so that they may see and not see.

as an example, most preachers will/might assure you that "Paul said 'absent from the body is present with the Lord,'" when that is not the point of the passage at all, see, but rather "serve God where you are, right now." and a great arg can even be made that Paul was making fun of the perspective "to be absent fro the body is to be present with the Lord," at least from the Lex. "Confident" becomes "made up your minds," etc. A better reading is surely

"Not only have we all made up our minds, i tell you, but we even wish we were already dead and partying with Jesus;
however, we should really be seeking to please God herenow."

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i do not have a lack of belief in the resurrection/afterlife though, and i agree that the Sadds have that wrong too. i certainly share in this hope, ok, i just do not accept that it is defined in the Book in the way that the wise say it is; i believe it is stated that way so that they may see and not see.

as an example, most preachers will/might assure you that "Paul said 'absent from the body is present with the Lord,'" when that is not the point of the passage at all, see, but rather "serve God where you are, right now." and a great arg can even be made that Paul was making fun of the perspective "to be absent fro the body is to be present with the Lord," at least from the Lex. "Confident" becomes "made up your minds," etc. A better reading is surely

"Not only have we all made up our minds, i tell you, but we even wish we were already dead and partying with Jesus;
however, we should really be seeking to please God herenow."
I don't completely disagree with the heart of what you're saying, but I think there should be a little more balance there. On one hand, you're right that there is a big problem with the escapist mentality. Some people spend a lot of time fantasizing about the rapture or heaven just because they're miserable and depressed with their lives right now, and they want to escape. That mentality is unhealthy, and the wrong heart to have about it.

But you can swing too far to the other side of the pendulum by trying to over correct that. While it's wrong to be an escapist, the resurrection is one of the great promises of God that we can hope in. You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. That shouldn't make up the entirety of our focus. We should be more concerned with what the Lord wants to do right now. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't also have a hope for the future. Just an encouragement to you, not everyone who hopes in the resurrection has an escapist mentality.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I completely agree that in the Spirit, we can experience being enraptured by the presence of God today. But the Bible has plenty to say about a time when we will be physically changed and glorified, too. I've felt the glory of God in my spirit, but I've never felt what it's like to be physically transfigured.
to this i would say that i have, only it is not the miraculous thing that we are told to anticipate.
surely you have had occasion to say that you are "in heaven" in your current existence, right.
i could even submit research that demonstrates how the brain literally changes when you change your mind on a matter; but we seek the miraculous, right, nothing short of Walking on Water will do, see. Iow if that is not literally possible, we are not interested, right. Meanwhile we attend "fire-walking" classes in ignorance of the Scriptural implications lol; can't think of how that v is worded at the moment

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I don't completely disagree with the heart of what you're saying, but I think there should be a little more balance there. On one hand, you're right that there is a big problem with the escapist mentality. Some people spend a lot of time fantasizing about the rapture or heaven just because they're miserable and depressed with their lives right now, and they want to escape. That mentality is unhealthy, and the wrong heart to have about it.

But you can swing too far to the other side of the pendulum by trying to over correct that. While it's wrong to be an escapist, the resurrection is one of the great promises of God that we can hope in. You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. That shouldn't make up the entirety of our focus. We should be more concerned with what the Lord wants to do right now. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't also have a hope for the future. Just an encouragement to you, not everyone who hopes in the resurrection has an escapist mentality.
nice! this is why i need you, and you need others, imo; we can only perceive from one perspective, really, no matter what mental exercises we develop. i certainly have hope in a resurrection, and srsly doubt that we have been given Free Will simply to live a life of vanity and perish. But whenever that happens--whatever that is--it will be today, and Scripture plainly describes the foretellers of the future as evil, false oracles, and -mancers.

Speculating is one thing iow; saying that you know is a different realm entirely

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
now, just imagine how long a congregation that hears "i have no knowledge of what the afterlife will contain" from a pastor will keep giving him money, lol. We seek ppl who know, see, we want to be assured that our "determined" perspective is correct.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
If perchance people in heaven retained their human nature, I would have to
answer with a yes to the OP's question. But seeing as how Col 2:11 and 2Pet
1:2-4 testify that people in heaven have shed their human nature in
exchange for divine nature; then I think it's pretty safe to answer with a no.

/

I agree with the OP along with the Scripture referenced by Ezekiel 36. Good insight.

However, I believe the promise of Ezekiel 36 is not to Ancient or National Israel, but to the “Lost Sheep of the House of Israel” did Jesus come for which is called Israel of God (Galatians 6:15-16) consisting of all true believers.

But the most profound verse I believe regarding the OP is found in Revelation 21:4 and reads:

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Helen and brakelite

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pot/kettle much, do you think?
Not at all.
i don't make idiotic remarks about ANY church's beliefs because I research them.

You don't do your homework - so you usually wind up with your foot in your mouth . . .

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to this i would say that i have, only it is not the miraculous thing that we are told to anticipate.
surely you have had occasion to say that you are "in heaven" in your current existence, right.
i could even submit research that demonstrates how the brain literally changes when you change your mind on a matter; but we seek the miraculous, right, nothing short of Walking on Water will do, see. Iow if that is not literally possible, we are not interested, right. Meanwhile we attend "fire-walking" classes in ignorance of the Scriptural implications lol; can't think of how that v is worded at the moment
I've experienced the tangible presence and anointing of the Holy Spirit that has physical effects that you can feel in your body. But that's a lot different than your whole body being physically changed from corruptible to incorruptible, and experiencing what it is like to have a glorified body. Even though we can feel the effects of God's presence spilling over from our spirits to our bodies, actually being changed to receive a glorified body is something that will happen at His return. Remember that Jesus walked on water and performed miracles in His normal body, but it wasn't until after His resurrection that His body was glorified, and He could walk through locked doors and stuff.

B

brakelite

What we do know @bbyrd009 is that Elijah and Moses and Enoch are alive. Moses resurrected, the other two 'taken', thus being I believe promise for us all to cling to. This is a dark world even though there are many clear and wonderful evidences of how this earth was without the decay and corruption that is so swiftly overtaking it. For me, a hope in the promises of a blissful peaceful future without pain, stress, fear, sickness or death, is essential to our well-being for without hope we perish. So where is Moses? Where Elijah and Enoch? Call it heaven if you will...if Jesus spoke of a kingdom of heaven...and a certain indwelling sense of being children of that kingdom now...then I guess there is no harm in believing in a future literal place called heaven. Even Heaven. But I prefer to think of it as that city "which builder and maker is God". The New Jerusalem that is in heaven. That glorious city described as housing the throne-room of the Almighty, where the Son of God is now preparing a place for us that He may takes us there upon the resurrection when He comes for all who have allowed themselves to be fitted with those wedding garments without which there is no entry.
AS for any need of confession in heaven, I don't believe so. There is a text which I remember form Nahum 1:9 that clearly infers that sin, conflict, shall never rise again. Not because we cannot sin (our free will will never be taken from us for love cannot exist without it) but our love and consecration will ever be such that we will not venture to rebel again. Pride will be forever vanquished...selfishness forever overcome...by the clear and unmistakable evidence in the scars remaining in the hands and feet of our Savior.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I've experienced the tangible presence and anointing of the Holy Spirit that has physical effects that you can feel in your body. But that's a lot different than your whole body being physically changed from corruptible to incorruptible, and experiencing what it is like to have a glorified body. Even though we can feel the effects of God's presence spilling over from our spirits to our bodies, actually being changed to receive a glorified body is something that will happen at His return. Remember that Jesus walked on water and performed miracles in His normal body, but it wasn't until after His resurrection that His body was glorified, and He could walk through locked doors and stuff.
hey, imo that will be really cool if it comes true, but i would stay open to other interpretations, understand "Christ walking on water" can be understood differently, and He was still knocking on doors after He resurrected, etc. Imo don't let what you believe keep you from more truth at least iow