Are we reading the same Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
I have been reading ,and sometimes been participating in various christian forums for 2 years,and here are some of the strangest things i have heard.

1.Christians worship a babylonian god naned gad?

2.There is no such thing as hell?

3.Jesus is an egyptian sun god?

4.The Holy Spirit is a person?

5.Saint John was senile?

6.There is nothing written in the Bible about satan?

7.The apostle Paul was a phony,and his writings were inspired by the devil?

Is there any truth to such statements,or are these people just misinformed?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd say lost over misinformed.

Sometimes I want to laugh, but I check myself at the door because at the end of the day, many of those questions are indicative of lost souls which means there is much work to be done. I've seen similar things in my own administration of this forum. Sometimes its difficult to tell when a person is faking it, or is authentically confused about a topic like one of the above.

It's what happens when people set their interpretations as the supreme determining factor in their religion.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Pelaides said:
I have been reading ,and sometimes been participating in various christian forums for 2 years,and here are some of the strangest things i have heard.

5.Saint John was senile?

I would say your question couched in questions is the real issue. I would imagine number four be it, although number two could aslo be it but not likely... . I believe the rest are smoke screens or red herrings if you like.

What saith you? :mellow:

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Pelaides said:

5.Saint John was senile?

None are true. Even #4 is not scriptural, for God is a Spirit, not a person.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
You are anthropomorphizing the word "person" as to be a physical being, and that is where you err. "Person" (in this sense) refers to the "personality" as a separate and distinct being (be it spirit or corporeal) contained in the Godhead. The Father is a distinct "person", the Son is a distinct "person" and the Holy Spirit is a distinct "person" yet, mysteriously, all contained in the single entity "God".

The Father, the Son, and the Spirit all are separate persons, can converse with one another, love one another, and perform different functions with respect to themselves and with us.

So number 4 is not at all strange, is in fact scriptural, and you only err in your limiting definition of person to an entity possessing a corporeal nature.

Niki

May 28, 2013
JB_ said:
I would say your question couched in questions is the real issue. I would imagine number four be it, although number two could aslo be it but not likely... . I believe the rest are smoke screens or red herrings if you like.

I second that one JB...my thought exactly by the time I got to the end of the op....
and this from Rocky...

Reveals does not believe in the Trinity...by the way rocky, God is not a spirit...He IS Spirit...not one of many...and He is also a Person...not just some vaporous
force or impartial cloud in outer space

Why do you guys always come in twos or more? I've been a member of forums for 6 or 7 years and this is a constant theme I see. Someone comes along
and goes..."there is no Trinity....that is a false doctrine"...won't be long and someone else comes along and goes..."that is right. I am glad you see that."

Like pre-programmed automatons and further down the line you usually find out they are JW's or Oneness folks.

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
Rocky Wiley said:
Thats what i thought.
JB_ said:

I dont understand your question.And what is a red herring?
HammerStone said:
I'd say lost over misinformed.

Sometimes I want to laugh, but I check myself at the door because at the end of the day, many of those questions are indicative of lost souls which means there is much work to be done. I've seen similar things in my own administration of this forum. Sometimes its difficult to tell when a person is faking it, or is authentically confused about a topic like one of the above.

It's what happens when people set their interpretations as the supreme determining factor in their religion.
I find statement number 3 to be the funniest.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
BiggAndyy said:
You are anthropomorphizing the word "person" as to be a physical being, and that is where you err. "Person" (in this sense) refers to the "personality" as a separate and distinct being (be it spirit or corporeal) contained in the Godhead. The Father is a distinct "person", the Son is a distinct "person" and the Holy Spirit is a distinct "person" yet, mysteriously, all contained in the single entity "God".

The Father, the Son, and the Spirit all are separate persons, can converse with one another, love one another, and perform different functions with respect to themselves and with us.

So number 4 is not at all strange, is in fact scriptural, and you only err in your limiting definition of person to an entity possessing a corporeal nature.
BiggAndyy,

Not trying to split hairs, but just because you believe it, does not make it biblical. God is able to function in many different capacities but it does not say he coverses with anyone else, other than with himself, certainly not with some other person.

Believe as you please, but show me scripture

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
dripping yellow madness said:
didnt Jesus pray to the father on a regular basis? if that isn't conversation I dont know what it is! haha
Jesus was a man and he was God. As a man he did many things as a man, praying to God is one of them. As God he healed the sick, cast out devils, etc.

As a Christian, I have God in me but I still make human decisions. Even though Jesus had the fullness of God in him, he also made human decisions. Just as Adam, he could have sinned!

I am a simple man and I read the bible simply for what it says, and it says "God is one, and there is no other beside him". I don't change that scripture to say any more or less.
Niki said:
I second that one JB...my thought exactly by the time I got to the end of the op....

and this from Rocky...

Reveals does not believe in the Trinity...by the way rocky, God is not a spirit...He IS Spirit...not one of many...and He is also a Person...not just some vaporous
force or impartial cloud in outer space

Why do you guys always come in twos or more? I've been a member of forums for 6 or 7 years and this is a constant theme I see. Someone comes along
and goes..."there is no Trinity....that is a false doctrine"...won't be long and someone else comes along and goes..."that is right. I am glad you see that."

Like pre-programmed automatons and further down the line you usually find out they are JW's or Oneness folks.
Niki,

Don't be like Eve and change scripture to say what you want it to say.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
BiggAndyy said:
So you deny the deity of Christ?
Just as there is only one God, so Spirit (when captalized) speaks of the same.

John 4:24 God is Spirit (capitalized) and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

The truth is, God is the one and only God and in order to worship him we must first accept that truth.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
You appear to have no knowledge of your own language and its rules of grammar. And that lack of sophistication in handling your native tongue has led you into damnable heresy.

AndyBern

Jun 26, 2012
Saying the Holy Spirit is a Person is to distinguish the Holy Spirit from a mere unconscious force (as some cults do). Some verses that show this are:
  • Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as a person (i.e. "he", John 14:16-17, 15:26).
  • The Holy Spirit speaks (Acts 13:2, 21:11, 28:25).
  • The Holy Spirit can be grieved (Isaiah 63:10, Ephesians 4:30).
  • The Holy Spirit can be lied to (Acts 5:3-4). (You can't lie to a force.)
  • The conception of Jesus was by the Holy Spirit. Only another person can make a woman pregnant (Matthew 1:18,20).

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
AndyBern said:
Saying the Holy Spirit is a Person is to distinguish the Holy Spirit from a mere unconscious force (as some cults do). Some verses that show this are:
  • Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as a person (i.e. "he", John 14:16-17, 15:26).
  • The Holy Spirit speaks (Acts 13:2, 21:11, 28:25).
  • The Holy Spirit can be grieved (Isaiah 63:10, Ephesians 4:30).
  • The Holy Spirit can be lied to (Acts 5:3-4). (You can't lie to a force.)
  • The conception of Jesus was by the Holy Spirit. Only another person can make a woman pregnant (Matthew 1:18,20).
There are three that bare record in heaven and these three are one - 1John 5:7

Father - Creator of all things

Son - God with us

Holy Ghost - God in us

The scriptures can say 'he' to anyone of these and is still speaking about the only true God.
Hear ye O Israel, the Lord thy God is one.

The Jews know no other God. Why have the Gentiles made him three?

Niki

May 28, 2013
The Bible also states that a husband and wife are one. Yet, I still 'see' TWO people and not one strange 8 limbed creation.

One herd of whatever can have thousands in it. Being one also means having the same purpose.

The purpose of some wanting to deny the Trinity can only be anti-Christian. You cannot be a Christian if you do not believe in the Trinity.

You may say you believe in God...as do many devout Jews...but they are not Christian.

And neither are you if you deny that the Godhead is three distinct persons who are one.

Don't even bother. You just are some other belief, but not Christian.

In Christ

May 19, 2013
Rocky Wiley,

The scriptures can say 'he' to anyone of these and is still speaking about the only true God.
Hear ye O Israel, the Lord thy God is one.

The Jews know no other God. Why have the Gentiles made him three?
I agree with you on Deuteronomy 6:4 that God is One however, the answer to this verse is found in Genesis 1:1. The word God in Genesis 1:1 is a plural word in Hebrew which is the word “Elohim.” So that there is no misunderstandings, God brings home the point in verses 26 and 27 where we read:

1. “ And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and
    let them have dominion over the fish of the sea...” .

2. “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he
    him; male and female created he them.

Colossians 1:16 reads:

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth,
visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities,
or powers: all things were created by him, and for him.

The text above is speaking of Jesus, Who is the creator of the universe.

Learn the parable of the Fig Tree! Yes, National Israel know no other God, but did you know that the fig tree is a picture of National Israel, and that they became a nation once again in the nations of the world in 1948, yet, to this day they have not recognized or will ever recognize Jesus as the true God except for a remnant chosen by grace? They will never seek after Jesus because they are a cursed nation!

Let me leave you with one last scripture text.

Matthew 28:19:

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the
Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Note the singular word “name.”.