Are we under dispensation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never realized what dispensation really meant until the other day. What do think?

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never realized what dispensation really meant until the other day. What do think?
I understand "dispensation", translated from oikonomia, lit. House Law, as "the management of the household for the purpose of providing for the needs of it's occupants."

Having your sins atoned through sacrifice under the Law was one dispensation. Your sins forgiven through faith in Christ is a different dispensation.

The word "dispensation" was chosen in terms of "dispensing what is needed".

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if you're trying to say the law doesn't apply then you really haven't read the bible. Jesus teaches time and time again to obey the law. In fact he states that he has not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is the Bible that seems to break it down that way "first the Jew, and then the Greek."

However, the term "dispensation" assumes that "times"-- the times of men and this world, are the rule. But they are not. That rule is rather one used in story telling, revealing first things first, followed by the more complex. The scriptures and life according to the times of this world is simply the chosen way in which God is revealing all truth in story form.

The [actual] rule then, is best understood as being in accord rather with God who "is the same yesterday, today, and forever." It is because of His reality rather than that of men, that causes the scriptures to elude instead to when the story was written, saying things like "before the foundation of the world", and being bound by truth and honesty, to even state many things in past tense.

Thus, there are many terms that refer specifically to the worldly context (only) rather than the reality and context of God, which are actually as different as heaven and earth. Another, is "predestination"...which, if the intention was to consider both contexts, would be better stated as "prewritten", only to be revealed when read page by page. Which God could very well have done if there were not also some purpose to things first being considered from the world view that now is most prevalent. That purpose is the contrast that purposely exist between the flesh and the spirit: In other words, God has purposely caused us to first be born of the flesh the result of which is death, that we might also be born [again] of the spirit of God with an appreciation of the difference...which is life in its most perfect form, as He "is perfect." Thus, holding on to the flesh, even glorifying it beyond what the scriptures say, is to hold on to death and those who perish.

Quite literally, God has divided the times of all history in two [would-be "dispensations"] between the flesh and its failures, and the spirit and His perfection, from which all "shall awake, Some to everlasting life, Some to shame and everlasting contempt."

Last edited:

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand "dispensation", translated from oikonomia, lit. House Law, as "the management of the household for the purpose of providing for the needs of it's occupants."

Having your sins atoned through sacrifice under the Law was one dispensation. Your sins forgiven through faith in Christ is a different dispensation.

The word "dispensation" was chosen in terms of "dispensing what is needed".

Much love!
I never really thought about dispensation until I found some sites on YouTube stating that The apostle Paul preached the gospel differently to the gentiles making him false.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never really thought about dispensation until I found some sites on YouTube stating that The apostle Paul preached the gospel differently to the gentiles making him false.
Yeah, people say all kinds of things!

Differently from what? Do you recall? Paul preached trusting in Jesus, being baptized into Him, obeying His commands, being pure and holy. That seems to me to be what Jesus preached too.

Much love!

Reactions: Brakelite and Nancy

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
somebody may call that a dispensing of Bible information, or a dispensation, but I wouldn't agree with Paul being false at all and that's actually not the true definition of dispensationalism.

dispensationalism actually came from very corrupt roots and, in its most basic implication, is not Biblical at all.

the basic idea is that one must know and understand dispensationalism in order to understand the Bible, but the concept didn't come about until the 1800's and it was created by man, a very corrupt man at that, and must be painstakingly taught by man as it is not taught anywhere in scripture.

it makes no sense that the Bible must be cut into 6-8 parts in order to understand it. that destroys the basic security measure that God intentionally created it with - that of the Bible defining itself, from Genesis to Revelation, and of the Bible explaining itself by comparing scripture to scripture.

we are able to understand what one prophecy means by comparing its contents to other prophecy that was written thousands of years prior, by men that lived at a very different time. in my opinion, that's part of what proves the Bible was written by God, not man - there must be continuity. dispensationalism removes that continuity.

one of the most convincing proofs that dispensationalism is a heretical man-made concept/doctrine is that it is very confusing to the masses, and it was meant to be so by those who invented it.

God is not the author of confusion, ... but the enemy is.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brakelite and Nancy

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, there are Distinct Differences in these Two ( law ) and ( Grace ) Dispensations = resolves Confusion:

law = prophecy/Covenants with twelve tribes of Israel given to twelve apostles

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That Differ” (online)

Grace = The Revelation Of The Mystery, given to One apostle for One Body Of Christ

more here:

I have decided to follow Jesus?

Amen.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if you're trying to say the law doesn't apply then you really haven't read the bible. Jesus teaches time and time again to obey the law. In fact he states that he has not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it.
Lets see .
For finding fault with them HE said , I WILL MAKE A NEW COVENANT
with them and not like the one i gave them , FOR THEY HEEDED ME NOT .
I WILL WRITE MY LAWS , not on stones , BUT ON THEIR HEARTS and in their minds .
AND YOUR RIGHT , JESUS always taught folks to obey . The LOVE that comes of GOD
dont trangress the law , IT Fullfills the RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE LAW . Yes indeed .
True agape love does no evil , true love would never trangress the law . ITS IMPOSSIBLE FOR IT TO DO SO .
IT FULLFILLS the entire righteousness of the law . Paul , i think , does a real good job of explaining that too .
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself .
Thus if the love folks preach today contradicts the TRUTH of CHRIST , i tell us all it aint love at all . Its false .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What truly scares me for many folks is what they are doing to grace .
When or if anyone uses grace to omit what CHRIST taught , or the apostels etc
IT AINT GRACE . If i use grace to justify myself , my error , or why i can now do something
JESUS or the apostels said NOT TOO . IT AINT grace , its me just trying to use the word grace
as a license to justify why I DO as I DO .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What truly scares me for many folks is what they are doing to grace .
When or if anyone uses grace to omit what CHRIST taught , or the apostels etc
IT AINT GRACE . If i use grace to justify myself , my error , or why i can now do something
JESUS or the apostels said NOT TOO . IT AINT grace , its me just trying to use the word grace
as a license to justify why I DO as I DO .
Yes, using grace to justify disobedience is presumption.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh... The endless debates on what those concepts actually mean... To whom... And when... And how. Oh, and who said.
All my years of study and learning have led me to this, Trust Jesus, and do what He tells me to do.

Much love!

Reactions: Brakelite

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've also heard that. There was once a website that addressed that very thing. It was called, Jesus Words Only.

Quite a project in comparing Paul's gospel, as he described it, to that of Jesus.

I don't know if it is still online.