Are you a chosen one?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I agree that the Holy Spirit was at work in and through some people of the Old Testament, but I don't believe God's Spirit indwelled them like He does believers beginning in Acts 2 when the apostles were filled with the Spirit.

I noticed that you didn't give any specific scripture references or quotes.... Hmm
'Filled' with the Spirit in Acts means 'controlled' by the Spirit. Just as the Pharisees were 'filled' with hatred and envy (or whatever it was) in these very same chapters of Acts.

To be filled with something is to be controlled by that something. Just as 'no good thing' dwells in the unbeliever, so it is that good things via the Holy Spirit dwell in the believer. The people of the OT were indeed filled/ controlled with the Holy Spirit as the examples of Oholiab and Bezalel, and Saul show us.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you consider 'filled' with the Holy Spirit to be 'indwelt' by the Holy Spirit, however temporary that may or may not be, there's no reason to think that Saul and all the other kings, and prophets, and artisans of the old covenant period were not indwelt with the Holy Spirit as Oholiab and Bezalel were.

Exodus 31:2-6
2“See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, 3and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills— 4to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, 5to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts. 6Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, to help him.

1 Samuel 10:6
6The Spirit of the Lord will come powerfully upon you (Saul), and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person.
Hi, Ferris, you having a good day off?? :D

Yes, as you point out, there are a few cases of people in the OT being filled with or indwelled by the Holy Spirit. God did place His Spirit in people for specific purposes prior to Pentecost. If you read my posts, you can see that my main point was that this didn't occur across the board as it does for believers.... For one thing, those in the OT didn't receive the gifts of the Spirit as believers do.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I agree that the Holy Spirit was at work in and through some people of the Old Testament, but I don't believe God's Spirit indwelled them like He does believers beginning in Acts 2 when the apostles were filled with the Spirit.

I noticed that you didn't give any specific scripture references or quotes.... Hmm

1Pe 1:10, Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
1Pe 1:11, Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, Ferris, you having a good day off?? :D

Yes, as you point out, there are a few cases of people in the OT being filled with or indwelled by the Holy Spirit. God did place His Spirit in people for specific purposes prior to Pentecost. If you read my posts, you can see that my main point was that this didn't occur across the board as it does for believers.... For one thing, those in the OT didn't receive the gifts of the Spirit as believers do.
That is right. Only kings and priests and prophets and various individuals were indwelt with the Holy Spirit under the old covenant. But now in this New Covenant ALL of God's people are in the ministry to one degree or another and minister in the Spirit! Which I think was foreshadowed by Moses when he said this...

Numbers 11:29
29But Moses replied, “...I wish that all the Lord’s people were prophets and that the Lord would put his Spirit on them!”

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then what in the world are you meaning by the term "called"?

Chosen to perform a task is what I have always understood.
Called is equal to being a believer.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then what in the world are you meaning by the term "called"?

Chosen to perform a task is what I have always understood.
Called is equal to being a believer.
No, being called and being chosen/ elected are two distinct things.

Matthew 22:14
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Many receive the invitation to salvation, but few accept it and are then elected to salvation. Most reject the call to salvation.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristisGod

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you say about yourself? Do you think you belong to the chosen ones who will have eternal life? And what makes you so sure?

I don't believe that God ensures anyone's place in the eternity, but of course I could be wrong about that. I don't say I'm saved either. I refer to the parable of the tax collector (Luke 18:9-14) for that since I am far from perfection. That's my idea of the correct spirit of repentance and seeking the mercy of God.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you say about yourself? Do you think you belong to the chosen ones who will have eternal life? And what makes you so sure?

Yes I am! Because I am trusting in teh blood, death and resurrection of Jesus alone for the full payment of my sin. Based on that, He has imputed to me His righteousness, hid me in Himself and promised me eternal life! So I am saved,saved,saved,saved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Filled' with the Spirit in Acts means 'controlled' by the Spirit. Just as the Pharisees were 'filled' with hatred and envy (or whatever it was) in these very same chapters of Acts.

To be filled with something is to be controlled by that something. Just as 'no good thing' dwells in the unbeliever, so it is that good things via the Holy Spirit dwell in the believer. The people of the OT were indeed filled/ controlled with the Holy Spirit as the examples of Oholiab and Bezalel, and Saul show us.
I wouldn't say 'controlled' by the Spirit, but rather surrendered to the Spirit so as to be led by that same Holy Spirit. For this reason the Apostle Paul writes this warning:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

When a person quenches the Holy Spirit in himself he gives dominion back to the 'old man' who is more than willing to take the lead again into sin.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Galatians 5:19-26
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

I once lived continually in the acts of the flesh, could not escape them no matter how much I tried. God saved me in 1980 as I pleaded with Him to forgive me for all my horrible sins and the way I treated others. I was a hater, one who used and abused drugs, a fornicator, abusive speech, behavior, fits of rage getting into fights all the time. I didn't like school/college and hated to read. I wanted nothing whatsoever to do with God and in fact was internationally running from Him. My mother was a believer as was my future mother in law. They would preach at me but I had no interest.

That evening I was born again by Gods Spirit. I knew something happened to me as I desired to seek God through His word. I couldn't put the bible down. I started going to church to learn about Jesus with my future mother in law. I no longer hated people but felt shame for all the harm I had caused to others. My hate was replaced with love for others, I quit drinking and drugs immediately. I was experiencing the fruit of the spirit in my life. For the first time I had real peace, joy and self control as I sought Jesus and learned about the Christian life. I was discipled one on one with the Pastor and joined a small group bible study. That has not changed for me since 1980. I read and study His word daily and have continued to witness to others and have led many people to the Lord through witnessing how God had changed my life through the miracle of the new birth. God had changed my life completely and I had done a 180* turn around in the opposite direction.

God promises Eternal Life as per 1 John 5:11-13. I believed Gods word and His promises. My faith and security is in Him alone and when I do stumble or sin I'm immediately convicted of my sin and repent.

As a side note my then girlfriend that broke up with me I witnessed to and we married shortly after. We have 4 adult children who all serve the Lord in ministry as missionaries, childrens director, youth pastor and professional Christian musician on Klove.

God has truly blessed my family beyond what I could ever imagined. I've seen the Lord answer so many prayers over the past 40 plus years that I could write page after page of His faithfulness in our lives.

hope this helps !
Hi. That is one fine looking Chinook you have there. The size of the yap on it makes me guess it's a buck. I used to pier fish after dark for them. I'd be down there fishing away and I'd get a mental image of a king grabbing my lure and then I'd get one. It was almost like I had an anointing to catch them. I also learned that God likes us catching fish. I had to stop due to my health. But my son took over and the same thing is happening to him except he is better at it than me! Some people's kids, eh? But he hasn't come near my 38 pounder that I got on a Mepps 4 Aglia Long. No one uses them. I got another giant the same night. It was the same length as the one I just mentioned though the gut was a bit thinner. They don't seem to get as big as they used to. I used to fish Lake Ontario. Fish on!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi. That is one fine looking Chinook you have there. The size of the yap on it makes me guess it's a buck. I used to pier fish after dark for them. I'd be down there fishing away and I'd get a mental image of a king grabbing my lure and then I'd get one. It was almost like I had an anointing to catch them. I also learned that God likes us catching fish. I had to stop due to my health. But my son took over and the same thing is happening to him except he is better at it than me! Some people's kids, eh? But he hasn't come near my 38 pounder that I got on a Mepps 4 Aglia Long. No one uses them. I got another giant the same night. It was the same length as the one I just mentioned though the gut was a bit thinner. They don't seem to get as big as they used to. I used to fish Lake Ontario. Fish on!
That was the best day salmon fishing in my life. My brother and I fished with 2 brothers north of the Golden Gate bridge along the Marin coastline trolling with cut plug herring in the Fall. That fish was 51 lbs and my other one that day was 46 lbs. Our smallest fish that day we kept was 38lbs. We had 4 limits that day of the biggest Salmon I've ever caught in the ocean. I was also lucky enough to land a 52lb salmon on the Feather River from shore in Northern California.

52 lb salmon.jpg

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Everyone says so, and almost everyone has a different view of the Bible. But the Bible can only have one view. Which view is the true one?
if I testify of myself, my testimony is invalid maybe?
also prolly commending themselves to each other would be going on?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, being called and being chosen/ elected are two distinct things.

Matthew 22:14
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Many receive the invitation to salvation, but few accept it and then elected to salvation. Most reject the call to salvation.

That passage you used is from the story of rejected disciples...
I'm sorry...we are just going to disagree on this.

A calling is similar to a profession...
I have a calling...it's a Christian man calling. I also have a calling as an electrician.
You can't put American/westernized ideals on Ancient Near East literature...that's how you have come to the conclusion that you have.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if you hold to calvinist beliefs...
No one can thwart God's calling.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if you hold to calvinist beliefs...
No one can thwart God's calling.
True !

Romans 8:30
And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I first heard John 3:16, I believed it. I first felt the Holy Spirit when during a time of worship, it felt like someone dumped a bucket of water on me. At the same time, a woman that was playing piano looked right through me and said, "It's been so long." We were singing, "Jesus, We Enthrone You." That was 30 years ago.
During 1994 I returned to God and the church as a prodigal. Our Father saw me and ran to me. He showed me His great love for me and other awesome things. Within a year I was leading worship in small groups and playing electric guitar with the Sunday worship team. By November 1995 God had me leading worship on Sundays.
Until I walked into that church in '94, I played guitar alone. The few times I played in public the shakes made it impossible for me to enjoy it. I didn't sing and I didn't write songs.
Between February and November of '95, I went from playing alone to leading a worship team, singing lead vocals, playing well-received guitar solos, and writing songs that reflected the move of God in Southern Ontario during the 90s. Which we were in the middle of. These songs were included in the church's songbook.
I had a great worship pastor and 2 great worship leaders who also helped me. I also attended the Worship Pastor's Training Program which was run by some of my favorite worship leaders. God and His anointing made it happen for me. I was amazed at how fast I progressed musically.
God is my all in all. He walks with me and He talks with me. Just about a year ago He proved to me that I am a descendant of Levi. He told me times during the 90s that I was a Levite but I thought He meant I was like a Levite. There is no history of anything Israeli in my family tree that goes back to Normandy during the 1500s.
Late last year He led me to watch a video that put some of the ten lost tribes in Normandy during the 1500s. I found it just like that. I also discovered that my last name originated with these people. So I guess that makes me a Hebrew Christian. That should get both sides annoyed with me. Lol
I have no doubt after searching the scriptures and through them making my salvation sure in my mind, that I belong to Jesus/Yeshua. Peace and shalom. God the Father God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Hear, O Israel, and the Church, the LORD our God is one.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That was the best day salmon fishing in my life. My brother and I fished with 2 brothers north of the Golden Gate bridge along the Marin coastline trolling with cut plug herring in the Fall. That fish was 51 lbs and my other one that day was 46 lbs. Our smallest fish that day we kept was 38lbs. We had 4 limits that day of the biggest Salmon I've ever caught in the ocean. I was also lucky enough to land a 52lb salmon on the Feather River from shore in Northern California.

View attachment 10672
The west coast has the best salmon fishing. I've never done it. Your smallest that day is my biggest. 46 and 51 pounds. Wow! Nice chatting with you.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
11267_7c4a07a189820838f1ad4c9bdb67f788.JPG
That's Hosea 9:7 for ya...

Last edited: