Are You A Hebrew?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

May 12, 2021
Tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews
Chapter 8

For if that first covenant had been faultless,
then should no place have been sought for the second.
For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold,
the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant
that I made with their fathers in the day
when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt;
because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the
house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind,
and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour,
and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me,
from the least to the greatest.
For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness,
and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old.
Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

In the 8th chapter of the Book of Hebrews
the author states the beginning of a NEW COVENANT
and the end of the OLD COVENANT.
"In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old.
Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

In this NEW COVENANT the author states:
"saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind,
and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God,
and they shall be to me a people".
The author also states that
these people who God put in their hearts His laws "shall not teach every man his neighbour,
from the least to the greatest".

QUESTION 1:
Why is it this does not fit any of you?
Or any of the other Christians in this world.
How do you explain it?

Why is the new covenant that you say you have with God
is not the same NEW COVENANT with God as recorded in Hebrews?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hebrews
Chapter 8

because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the
house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind,
and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour,

these people who God put in their hearts His laws "shall not teach every man his neighbour,

QUESTION 1:
How do you explain it?

There is only one New Covenant.

Why do you think nobody is in the New Covenant? Curious!

Reactions: Angelina

May 12, 2021
Tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is why none of you have the same covenant...this is not none of you.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

This is why none of you have the same covenant...this is not none of you.

I've looked at a few commentaries on this and it seems the best interpretation is something like: it will not be necessary to teach one's neighbour. In Judaism, before synagogues became common there was no, or little, public teaching so it was necessary for personal teaching one person to to another. But under the New Covenant there would be an abundance of public teachers, so one person instructing another would not be necessary. We can see this happening in the Acts of the Apostles.

May 12, 2021
Tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've looked at a few commentaries on this and it seems the best interpretation is something like: it will not be necessary to teach one's neighbour. In Judaism, before synagogues became common there was no, or little, public teaching so it was necessary for personal teaching one person to to another. But under the New Covenant there would be an abundance of public teachers, so one person instructing another would not be necessary. We can see this happening in the Acts of the Apostles.
The anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you,
and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things,
and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Reactions: GracePeace

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Hebrews
Chapter 8

QUESTION 1:
How do you explain it?

That's an easy question. They are part of the new covenant and as many have the true Holy Spirit living in them. The reason you don't think anyone else is part of the new covenant is because you are being lied to by whoever told you as much.

May 12, 2021
Tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's an easy question. They are part of the new covenant and as many have the true Holy Spirit living in them. The reason you don't think anyone else is part of the new covenant is because you are being lied to by whoever told you as much.
Is this proof of it or are you thinking you need none in what you stated?

May 12, 2021
Tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you interred into a covenant with God?
If so what is it?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
My covenant with God is written in the scriptures, and he lives in my heart. He reveals what is hidden in darkness. Such as you, every time you rejoin again under false pretenses.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Because the New covenant, though established at the cross, has not gone into effect yet!

Let us look at the actual utttering of that covenant:

Jeremiah 31:31-34
King James Version

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Are your forefathers physical descendants of Abrahm, Isaac and Jacob that were delivered from Israel? Did they wander the desert? did they brake the Mosaic Law?

That covenant will be made with the house of Israel and Judah (Ez. 37 prophecies they will be one again ) that phrase "house of" means all people in all the tribes. And it will happen "after those days"!

Well we can absolutely conclude "those days" have not occured yet because there are still legions of Jews who do not know Jesus as Messiah.

The church is sort of a parentheses in Gods dealing with the nation He declared was His special possession forever. The last approx. 2,000 years is the mystery of the OT (Jew and Gentile being one body in Christ) is being fulfilled. Once the full number of Gentiles has come in, then god will fulfill His promises in the OT and save the nation of Israel- the WHOLE nation! 2/3 will die ini the trib period, and the 1/3 remining will turn to the Lord!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Because the New covenant, though established at the cross, has not gone into effect yet!

Let us look at the actual utttering of that covenant:

King James Version

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Are your forefathers physical descendants of Abrahm, Isaac and Jacob that were delivered from Israel? Did they wander the desert? did they brake the Mosaic Law?

That covenant will be made with the house of Israel and Judah (Ez. 37 prophecies they will be one again ) that phrase "house of" means all people in all the tribes. And it will happen "after those days"!

Well we can absolutely conclude "those days" have not occured yet because there are still legions of Jews who do not know Jesus as Messiah.

The church is sort of a parentheses in Gods dealing with the nation He declared was His special possession forever. The last approx. 2,000 years is the mystery of the OT (Jew and Gentile being one body in Christ) is being fulfilled. Once the full number of Gentiles has come in, then god will fulfill His promises in the OT and save the nation of Israel- the WHOLE nation! 2/3 will die ini the trib period, and the 1/3 remining will turn to the Lord!

The Church is the body of Christ not a parenthesis. The New Covenant is in effect right now not in some distant future.

You misunderstand Jer 31:31. & Heb 8:8
Heb 8:8
The days will come, says the Lord,
when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah

Some say this New Covenant was only made with the Jews (the house of Israel and the house of Judah) and not for gentiles. Others say that the Church is the new Israel and therefore includes gentiles.

However there is another way of understanding this that avoids these arguments.

Note that both of these quotes refer to the HOUSE of Israel and the HOUSE of Judah.

What, or who, is the house of Israel and the house of Judah?

I think the answer is the king.
In 2Sam 12:8 the Lord (via Nathan) says to David "I..... gave you the house of Israel and of Judah..."
The king represents in himself the house of Israel and the house of Judah.

Another example of the king personifying the whole house is given in Isaiah 7:13 where Isaiah calls king Ahaz the house of David.

Now who became the King?
Who was promised the throne of David?
Answer: Jesus: "He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High;
and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David,
and he will reign over the house of Jacob for ever;
and of his kingdom there will be no end.”
(Lk 1:32-33).

Jesus is the New Covenant promised in Jeremiah; he embodies the Covenant in himself.
In Isaiah, God speaks about the coming Messiah in several "Servant" passages

Is 42:6-7 I have given you as a covenant to the people, a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness. This is very similar to what Jesus says about himself in Lk 4:18

Is 49:8 I have kept you and given you as a covenant to the people,

The implications are that Jesus is a living embodiment of the Covenant

The Messiah is given as a Covenant to the people, an embodiment of the covenant. And note he is to be a "light to the nations". He is not just for the Jews.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Church is the body of Christ not a parenthesis. The New Covenant is in effect right now not in some distant future.

You misunderstand Jer 31:31. & Heb 8:8
Heb 8:8
The days will come, says the Lord,
when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah

Some say this New Covenant was only made with the Jews (the house of Israel and the house of Judah) and not for gentiles. Others say that the Church is the new Israel and therefore includes gentiles.

However there is another way of understanding this that avoids these arguments.

Note that both of these quotes refer to the HOUSE of Israel and the HOUSE of Judah.

What, or who, is the house of Israel and the house of Judah?

I think the answer is the king.
In 2Sam 12:8 the Lord (via Nathan) says to David "I..... gave you the house of Israel and of Judah..."
The king represents in himself the house of Israel and the house of Judah.

Another example of the king personifying the whole house is given in Isaiah 7:13 where Isaiah calls king Ahaz the house of David.

Now who became the King?
Who was promised the throne of David?
Answer: Jesus: "He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High;
and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David,
and he will reign over the house of Jacob for ever;
and of his kingdom there will be no end.”
(Lk 1:32-33).

Jesus is the New Covenant promised in Jeremiah; he embodies the Covenant in himself.
In Isaiah, God speaks about the coming Messiah in several "Servant" passages

Is 42:6-7 I have given you as a covenant to the people, a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness. This is very similar to what Jesus says about himself in Lk 4:18

Is 49:8 I have kept you and given you as a covenant to the people,

The implications are that Jesus is a living embodiment of the Covenant

The Messiah is given as a Covenant to the people, an embodiment of the covenant. And note he is to be a "light to the nations". He is not just for the Jews.

All this has been argued several times before.

So here is the covenant as God delivered it:

King James Version

So without going into the biblical proof that Israel and Judah refers to the whole house of Isarael (all 12 tribes), You delclare the covenant is now in effect.

Okay so show me where these are in effect right now:

1. When were the Gentiles breakers of the Old covenant and when were gentiles married to Yahweh?
2. When were "those days" that took place because you say we are living in "after those day"
3. If we no longer need teachers , why does god still appoint pastors and teachers to the church?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

King James Version

So without going into the biblical proof that Israel and Judah refers to the whole house of Isarael (all 12 tribes), You delclare the covenant is now in effect.

1. When were the Gentiles breakers of the Old covenant and when were gentiles married to Yahweh?

I don't understand why you ask this.
The Old [Mosaic] Covenant was made with Israel.

2. When were "those days" that took place because you say we are living in "after those day"

Those days were the days of the old Covenant that has ended " In speaking of a new covenant he treats the first as obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away" (Heb 8:13)

3. If we no longer need teachers , why does god still appoint pastors and teachers to the church?

See post #4

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See post #4

So since the Acts of the Apostles all Jews know the Lord as the covenant God made decalres?

Jeremiah 31:34
King James Version

Gods Word says all Jews will know HIm from the least to the greatest. Not some, or many, or most, or lots, but ALL.

Those days were the days of the old Covenant that has ended " In speaking of a new covenant he treats the first as obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away" (Heb 8:13)

I agree the Old is gone and obsolete- but show me when the New covenant as declared in Jer. 31: 31-34 began.

I don't understand why you ask this.
The Old [Mosaic] Covenant was made with Israel.

Simply because the New covenant is also made with Israel. Not some "spiritual Israel" as many erroneously say that is called the Church. The church is the church and Israel is Israel and spiritual Israel are spiritual Jews. Period. According to the Word of God as it is written and not interpreted.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So since the Acts of the Apostles all Jews know the Lord as the covenant God made decalres?

Jeremiah 31:34
King James Version

Gods Word says all Jews will know HIm from the least to the greatest. Not some, or many, or most, or lots, but ALL.

Surely all those who enter the New Covenant do know the Lord.

I agree the Old is gone and obsolete- but show me when the New covenant as declared in Jer. 31: 31-34 began.

It obviously has begun because Heb 8 states

But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry which is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion for a second. (Heb 8:6-7)

If Jesus is mediates [present tense] then the New Covenant is in existence.

Also Heb 9:11-13 & 15 tells us that the New Covenant has started because Christ has "entered" [past tense] the sanctuary with his blood "thus securing an eternal redemption". Past tense so it has happened.

Again in vs 15 he is [present tense] the mediator of a new covenant. So the New Covenant is in existence.

As to when exactly it began there are differing opinions on that. I have read that it began with Jesus' baptism in the Jordan, at the Last Supper, and at his death on the cross. As the Mosaic Covenant was ratified with blood (Heb 9:18) it is reasonable that the new Covenant is ratified in blood.

Simply because the New covenant is also made with Israel. Not some "spiritual Israel" as many erroneously say that is called the Church. The church is the church and Israel is Israel and spiritual Israel are spiritual Jews. Period. According to the Word of God as it is written and not interpreted.

I have explained that in post #11. Did you not read it?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Surely all those who enter the New Covenant do know the Lord.

Well the covenant is specifically made by God to the Houses of Israel and Judah- not to he church or gentiles who enter into the church.

But it also says no one needs teach anyone for we all know the Lord, that would make Pastors, teachers and the legions of Christian writers irrelavent unless one spiritualizes away the plain meaning of the Jeremiah text.

It obviously has begun because Heb 8 states

But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry which is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion for a second. (Heb 8:6-7)

If Jesus is mediates [present tense] then the New Covenant is in existence.

Obviously you do not know what a mediator does. If Jesus is the mediator of the new covenant, then the covenant has not gone into effect. It is the same as when a union and company begin discussing a new contract. While they are mediating- the contract is not in effect.

All Israel and Judah do not know the Lord yet, they still need people to tell them to know the Lord, and God has not forgotten the sins of Israel yet. He will do all these. When? After those days!

I have explained that in post #11. Did you not read it?

Well you gave your opinion in post 11. but I disagree. The Isaiah prophecies occurred in the 7th B.C. Jeremiah was near teh end of teh 6th Century B.C. so God was calling for a new covenant with Israel, as they are the nation whose Fathers broke the first covenant God made with- the one we call the old covenant.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well the covenant is specifically made by God to the Houses of Israel and Judah- not to he church or gentiles who enter into the church.
Explained in post #11

Obviously you do not know what a mediator does. If Jesus is the mediator of the new covenant, then the covenant has not gone into effect. It is the same as when a union and company begin discussing a new contract. While they are mediating- the contract is not in effect.
That is just a silly example. Nobody is discussing a contract.
A mediator in a Covenant is the one that stands between the two parties. A Covenant only needs a mediator when it in effect.

All Israel and Judah do not know the Lord yet, they still need people to tell them to know the Lord, and God has not forgotten the sins of Israel yet. He will do all these. When? After those days!
Already explained. You just keep repeating yourself.

Well you gave your opinion in post 11. but I disagree. The Isaiah prophecies occurred in the 7th B.C. Jeremiah was near teh end of teh 6th Century B.C. so God was calling for a new covenant with Israel, as they are the nation whose Fathers broke the first covenant God made with- the one we call the old covenant.

You are obsessed with the Jews.
Jeremiah was looking forward. If it was all about 6th century BC then the writer of Hebrews would not have referenced it. The writer of Hebrews sees it happening in his time.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is just a silly example. Nobody is discussing a contract.
A mediator in a Covenant is the one that stands between the two parties. A Covenant only needs a mediator when it in effect.

You are simply wrong. show that a covenant is in effect when a mediator is mediating in the covenant. Look up the term in Greek and even Hebrew. It is one who is negotiating an agreement between two or more parties.

You are obsessed with the Jews.
Jeremiah was looking forward. If it was all about 6th century BC then the writer of Hebrews would not have referenced it. The writer of Hebrews sees it happening in his time.

Well we are talking about a Jewish covenant! Also who was the writer of Hebrews writing to? Jews or Gentiles?

Already explained. You just keep repeating yourself.

Sorry but you need to prove your reinterpretation of the plain simple words of Scripture is what God intended.

Explained in post #11

You just offerred another way of looking at it. Kind of a hybrid between a literal and allegorical reading of Scripture. Now prove that is what god intended.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

King James Version

You haven’t understood Paul when he spoke of God’s grace. If you had of you would have known the Gentiles were grafted in to receive the promises that are in Christ.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You haven’t understood Paul when he spoke of God’s grace. If you had of you would have known the Gentiles were grafted in to receive the promises that are in Christ.

I know that we gentiles have been grafted in . We form the one new man in Christ! I cherish Gods grace.

but we are speaking of a specific covenant with specific provisions.