Are you able to pray for just whatever you want to and God give it to you?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you,

There is a scripture that states revolving around the notion, "God will give you the desires of your heart", "Ask, seek, and knock", "Pray and ask".

Is that true?

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes when its according to His will. When we are walking in the spirit, not quenching the spirit or grieving Him then we are praying in the spirit.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you,

There is a scripture that states revolving around the notion, "God will give you the desires of your heart", "Ask, seek, and knock", "Pray and ask".

Is that true?
Psalms 37:3-6 KJV
3) Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
4) Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
5) Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
6) And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.

When you say, "whatever you want", do you mean, the new person in Christ, or the fleshy remains with their fleshy lusts?

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Marks,

Thank you for sharing some scripture, it is just as the question stated. Whatever you want.

Love to you,
Matthew

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Christophany,

Thank you for adding your comment. Is there any direction by the use of the bible, of what not to pray for in any of the gospels, or the letters by chance that you may know of?

Love you,
Matthew

Reactions: ChristisGod

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Marks,

Thank you for sharing some scripture, it is just as the question stated. Whatever you want.

Love to you,
Matthew
The question as stated makes no sense to me as a Christian, taking a snippet of Scripture out of context. Sorry!

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question as stated makes no sense to me as a Christian, taking a snippet of Scripture out of context. Sorry!

Much love!
Hello Marks,

Its okay, people have to think for themselves, and search out and look and see what Jesus says or the apostles or the prophets of old, and subject themselves to learning. Its good to see you think for yourself. Thank you for the questions though and may you be encouraged to seek and see what the bible could suggest.

Love in Christ,
Matthew

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes when its according to His will. When we are walking in the spirit, not quenching the spirit or grieving Him then we are praying in the spirit.
Just so... When we know His will, and ask accordingly, how can we go wrong?

Mt 7:9Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
Mt 7:10Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
Mt 7:11If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

@MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps a good starting point may be the full passage?

Much love!

Hello Marks,

Not so sure if that is a good idea or not, it's up to you, if you wanna share please feel free to do so. My decision will be to decide to leave everything where it is.

All in good faith,
Matthew

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just so... When we know His will, and ask accordingly, how can we go wrong?

Mt 7:9Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
Mt 7:10Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
Mt 7:11If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

@MatthewG

Hello Amadeus,

You may be on to something there, wonder if there is anymore scriptures anyone can lead us to, about what not to pray for, and what specific things we could pray for as we grow from children to adults, in Christ.

All in love,
Matthew

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then that is your choice, but should you really expect to understand the Scriptures that way?

Much love!

Marks,

That is a good question, really one should desire to get the whole context, my desire was to keep it short and to the point, there are many people here whom have read the bible, so to keep it short and simple seemed as though it would be okay.

If you would like to go and grab those contexts, please feel free to do so to share among other brothers and sisters, however if you do not desire to do so, I will just let everything again, stand like it was stated previously.

Again also may people be encouraged to go and look and seek, for themselves as well, rather than what could be said by me or anyone here on this forum. However it's not unwise to consider what someone may have to present and test all things that are stated.

All in good faith,
Matthew

Reactions: marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The power of prayer: how to utilize and grow in faith​

Forgot this was made.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Christophany,

Thank you for adding your comment. Is there any direction by the use of the bible, of what not to pray for in any of the gospels, or the letters by chance that you may know of?

Love you,
Matthew

Below are some general principles we can use in seeking to discover the particulars of God’s will. (The content has been adapted from various sources, particularly Charles Stanley’s The Will of God: Understanding and Pursuing His Ultimate Plan for Your Life, Howard Books, 2019.)

1. The Comprehensive Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16–17; Psalm 119:105; Isaiah 8:20). The Bible reveals God’s general will for us and His will regarding certain specific matters (such as loving others, speaking truth, maintaining sexual purity, etc.). In any given situation, we should first determine if the Bible addresses the issue either specifically or in principle. If so, we have God’s will in the matter. This is a “screen out” criterion because God will never lead us to do something that contradicts His Word.

2. Complete Consecration (Psalm 37:3–4; John 7:17; Romans 12:1–2; 2 Corinthians 8:5). God calls us to full commitment to Him. If we are only looking for guidance in one area, disregarding God’s will in the rest of our lives, we are missing the point. God’s will involves more than just what type of employment to pursue or which car to buy; it covers holiness and consecration in every area of life.

3. Commitment in Advance to Do God’s Will (Luke 22:42; Psalm 40:8; Hebrews 10:7–9; John 4:34; 5:30). When seeking God’s will, we must be willing to do His will when we discover what it is—even if we don’t particularly like it. Of course, we have our inclinations and preferences. But we need to be willing to set aside preference in favor of God’s perfect (and thus best) choice. Nineteenth-century evangelist George Müller had this testimony of how he sought God’s will: “I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome when our hearts are ready to do the Lord’s will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is” (Answers to Prayer: from George Müller’s Narratives, compiled by A.E.C. Brooks, Lector House, 2020). Do we begrudgingly deign to do His will, more fully desire to do His will, or genuinely delight to do His will?

4. Call upon the Lord (Pray) (Matthew 6:10; Luke 6:12–13; James 1:5). To know God’s will, we should ask Him for wisdom: “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you” (James 1:5). The asking needs to be done in faith, with no doubting (James 1:6).

5. Circumstances (Acts 15:36–41; 1 Corinthians 16:9; Philippians 1:12–13). God often sovereignly arranges circumstances to align in such a way that they point us a certain direction. God works in us; He also works around us (see Acts 16:6–10). Circumstances can be misinterpreted, so caution is advised and prayer is needed, but events can indeed help confirm and guide us in God’s will.

6. Counsel (Proverbs 7:24; 15:22; 24:6; 28:26; Acts 13:2–3; 15:1–41). Godly counsel from mature Christians can be invaluable in discovering God’s will. A wise counselor, knowing the counselee and the details of the situation, will provide perspective. The advice will be based on solid biblical truth and tailored to the individual.

7. Common Sense (Proverbs 23:19; Titus 2:11–12). Benjamin Franklin is credited with saying, “Common sense is something everyone needs, few have, and none think they lack.” Common sense plays a part in much of what we do. We should not trust intuition or native sagacity to the exclusion of other things, but neither should we ignore our God-given ability to analyze and reason. God often works through ordinary means. There are times when God’s will may be contrary to common sense—feeding the 5,000 with a boy’s lunch did not make sense to the disciples—but most of the time taking a reasoned, sensible approach is befitting godliness.

8. Consider the Leading of the Holy Spirit (John 14:26; 16:7–13; Romans 8:27; 1 John 2:20). The Holy Spirit leads children of God seeking to walk in His will. “For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God” (Romans 8:14). The Holy Spirit can lead in a particular direction over days, years, or even decades to prepare us for His purposes (see Romans 8:28–30; Hebrews 11). He has also gifted each believer in a specific way (1 Peter 4:10). One’s giftedness could be another indicator for or against a specific course of action.

9. Contentment (Philippians 4:6–7; Colossians 3:15–17). Generally speaking, if we don’t have peace about something, we shouldn’t do it. This doesn’t mean we won’t have any concerns, but we will have a confidence that we are moving in the direction of God’s choosing and a sense of peace that we undertake the path at God’s direction. “Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves” (Romans 14:22).

10. Gospel Consciousness and Overall Consequences (1 Corinthians 3:12–15; 9:19–23; Philippians 2:3–4; Colossians 3:17, 23–24). Paul looked at “the big picture” in discovering the will of God for himself. He evaluated situations and decisions in terms of how they would impact the proclamation and ministry of the gospel (1 Corinthians 9:19–23). And he gives us this principle: “Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him” (Colossians 3:17). Considering the situation in light of God’s character and His overarching plan can provide clarity. Will this decision honor God, or will it grieve His heart?

11. Stewardship Considerations (Luke 19:11–26; 1 Corinthians 4:1–2; 2 Timothy 2:4). We are stewards of all that God has entrusted to us. This includes our time, talents, treasures, health, and spiritual gifting. And we must discern proper priorities: the good is often the enemy of the best. Will this course of action enhance our effectiveness for the Lord or lessen it?

12. Do God’s Will as You Discover It (Psalm 143:10; Mark 3:35; John 13:17; Philippians 2:12–13; James 4:13–17). God doesn’t show us His will as an academic exercise or to satisfy our curiosity. He shows us His will so that we may do it. James 1:22 says, “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.”

Conclusion and Summary. God wants us to know His will. The details of His plan become apparent as we study His Word and follow Him. The twelve principles listed above should help the process.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
prayer is a mystery i am praying to change jobs .mine is not doing much at all. i been praying about a different ministry. i have not hard go for it or seen the new job yet.. on the ministry i am putting a fleece out by faith i will see what transpires next week. many things i have prayed about and not seen results.. sometimes he answers in a way were not expecting

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Amadeus,

You may be on to something there, wonder if there is anymore scriptures anyone can lead us to, about what not to pray for, and what specific things we could pray for as we grow from children to adults, in Christ.

All in love,
Matthew
First prayer:

1)“And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.” Gen 4:26

Why pray?

2) “Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.
Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed.
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” James 5:13-16

When should we pray?

3)"Pray without ceasing" I Thess 5:17

How are we to pray?

4) “And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.” Matt 6:5-13

God’s Condition for favorable answers:

6) “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you” John 15:7

No Answers?

7) “Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.” James 4:3

Do we sometimes not know what we should pray for?

8) “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Rom 8:26-27

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
prayer is a mystery i am praying to change jobs .mine is not doing much at all. i been praying about a different ministry. i have not hard go for it or seen the new job yet.. on the ministry i am putting a fleece out by faith i will see what transpires next week. many things i have prayed about and not seen results.. sometimes he answers in a way were not expecting
Hello Ezra,

Just put in the effort to go and seek out what you wanna do, there are staffing companies that could help you.

All the best, in Christ,
Matthew

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First prayer:

1)“And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.” Gen 4:26

Why pray?

2) “Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.
Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed.
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” James 5:13-16

When should we pray?

3)"Pray without ceasing" I Thess 5:17

How are we to pray?

4) “And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.” Matt 6:5-13

God’s Condition for favorable answers:

6) “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you” John 15:7

No Answers?

7) “Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.” James 4:3

Do we sometimes not know what we should pray for?

8) “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Rom 8:26-27

Amadeus,

Thank you for sharing,

In love,
Matthew

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Below are some general principles we can use in seeking to discover the particulars of God’s will. (The content has been adapted from various sources, particularly Charles Stanley’s The Will of God: Understanding and Pursuing His Ultimate Plan for Your Life, Howard Books, 2019.)

1. The Comprehensive Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16–17; Psalm 119:105; Isaiah 8:20). The Bible reveals God’s general will for us and His will regarding certain specific matters (such as loving others, speaking truth, maintaining sexual purity, etc.). In any given situation, we should first determine if the Bible addresses the issue either specifically or in principle. If so, we have God’s will in the matter. This is a “screen out” criterion because God will never lead us to do something that contradicts His Word.

2. Complete Consecration (Psalm 37:3–4; John 7:17; Romans 12:1–2; 2 Corinthians 8:5). God calls us to full commitment to Him. If we are only looking for guidance in one area, disregarding God’s will in the rest of our lives, we are missing the point. God’s will involves more than just what type of employment to pursue or which car to buy; it covers holiness and consecration in every area of life.

3. Commitment in Advance to Do God’s Will (Luke 22:42; Psalm 40:8; Hebrews 10:7–9; John 4:34; 5:30). When seeking God’s will, we must be willing to do His will when we discover what it is—even if we don’t particularly like it. Of course, we have our inclinations and preferences. But we need to be willing to set aside preference in favor of God’s perfect (and thus best) choice. Nineteenth-century evangelist George Müller had this testimony of how he sought God’s will: “I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome when our hearts are ready to do the Lord’s will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is” (Answers to Prayer: from George Müller’s Narratives, compiled by A.E.C. Brooks, Lector House, 2020). Do we begrudgingly deign to do His will, more fully desire to do His will, or genuinely delight to do His will?

4. Call upon the Lord (Pray) (Matthew 6:10; Luke 6:12–13; James 1:5). To know God’s will, we should ask Him for wisdom: “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you” (James 1:5). The asking needs to be done in faith, with no doubting (James 1:6).

5. Circumstances (Acts 15:36–41; 1 Corinthians 16:9; Philippians 1:12–13). God often sovereignly arranges circumstances to align in such a way that they point us a certain direction. God works in us; He also works around us (see Acts 16:6–10). Circumstances can be misinterpreted, so caution is advised and prayer is needed, but events can indeed help confirm and guide us in God’s will.

6. Counsel (Proverbs 7:24; 15:22; 24:6; 28:26; Acts 13:2–3; 15:1–41). Godly counsel from mature Christians can be invaluable in discovering God’s will. A wise counselor, knowing the counselee and the details of the situation, will provide perspective. The advice will be based on solid biblical truth and tailored to the individual.

7. Common Sense (Proverbs 23:19; Titus 2:11–12). Benjamin Franklin is credited with saying, “Common sense is something everyone needs, few have, and none think they lack.” Common sense plays a part in much of what we do. We should not trust intuition or native sagacity to the exclusion of other things, but neither should we ignore our God-given ability to analyze and reason. God often works through ordinary means. There are times when God’s will may be contrary to common sense—feeding the 5,000 with a boy’s lunch did not make sense to the disciples—but most of the time taking a reasoned, sensible approach is befitting godliness.

8. Consider the Leading of the Holy Spirit (John 14:26; 16:7–13; Romans 8:27; 1 John 2:20). The Holy Spirit leads children of God seeking to walk in His will. “For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God” (Romans 8:14). The Holy Spirit can lead in a particular direction over days, years, or even decades to prepare us for His purposes (see Romans 8:28–30; Hebrews 11). He has also gifted each believer in a specific way (1 Peter 4:10). One’s giftedness could be another indicator for or against a specific course of action.

9. Contentment (Philippians 4:6–7; Colossians 3:15–17). Generally speaking, if we don’t have peace about something, we shouldn’t do it. This doesn’t mean we won’t have any concerns, but we will have a confidence that we are moving in the direction of God’s choosing and a sense of peace that we undertake the path at God’s direction. “Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves” (Romans 14:22).

10. Gospel Consciousness and Overall Consequences (1 Corinthians 3:12–15; 9:19–23; Philippians 2:3–4; Colossians 3:17, 23–24). Paul looked at “the big picture” in discovering the will of God for himself. He evaluated situations and decisions in terms of how they would impact the proclamation and ministry of the gospel (1 Corinthians 9:19–23). And he gives us this principle: “Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him” (Colossians 3:17). Considering the situation in light of God’s character and His overarching plan can provide clarity. Will this decision honor God, or will it grieve His heart?

11. Stewardship Considerations (Luke 19:11–26; 1 Corinthians 4:1–2; 2 Timothy 2:4). We are stewards of all that God has entrusted to us. This includes our time, talents, treasures, health, and spiritual gifting. And we must discern proper priorities: the good is often the enemy of the best. Will this course of action enhance our effectiveness for the Lord or lessen it?

12. Do God’s Will as You Discover It (Psalm 143:10; Mark 3:35; John 13:17; Philippians 2:12–13; James 4:13–17). God doesn’t show us His will as an academic exercise or to satisfy our curiosity. He shows us His will so that we may do it. James 1:22 says, “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.”

Conclusion and Summary. God wants us to know His will. The details of His plan become apparent as we study His Word and follow Him. The twelve principles listed above should help the process.

Christophany,

Thank you for sharing some of the considerations of this person here,

All in good faith,
MAtthew