Are You Dead to Self?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I’m not sure what you mean?

Do you mean all the truth he reveals to your heart via His Spirit, then you check it out with his written word?
I am mainly talking about doctrine for example, the Trinity, too hard for the mind to understand, but confirmed by the Spirit to our spirits that it is the truth. So if what we hear is the truth or not and which we will find in scripture.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Trinity, too hard for the mind to understand,
Easy to understand if it’s been revealed to our heart/ spirit....banned subject I’m afraid...can say no more, even though I would love to explain.

If what we hear from God ain’t in scripture, then it ain’t from Him I’m afraid...that’s why when I hear him speak to my heart, I always check it with His written word.

Our relationship with God is Alive, it ain’t dead....a lot of religion in this world, no life in their hearts/ spirit...dead and boring speech.

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The self is so good at looking at the speck in a Brother/Sister eye, yet can’t see the plank in their own.

What is it about us all pointing the wrong out in another, ....yet some just can’t see it in themselves....

There are some on here that seem to know me better than I know myself, what a joke...thank God I can now let their negative talk of me go straight over the top of my head, I don’t even have to react to any of their self righteous judgemental comments about me.

I’ve wanted to say that for a while..the timing was right ,imo.

Romans 8

King James Version

8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The self is so good at looking at the speck in a Brother/Sister eye, yet can’t see the plank in their own.

What is it about us all pointing the wrong out in another, ....yet some just can’t see it in themselves....

There are some on here that seem to know me better than I know myself, what a joke...
Self orientation and self importance is the springboard for error. It spawns the philosophies/ religions of the world. It was where Lucifer came undone. It is where distortion has its roots.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Self orientation and self importance is the springboard for error. It spawns the philosophies/ religions of the world. It was where Lucifer came undone. It is where distortion has its roots.
I don’t think you are understanding my point.plus what you post here isn’t biblical.....intellectual, ...p.

Matthew 7:3-5​

King James Version​

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don’t think you are understanding my point.plus what you post here isn’t biblical.....intellectual, ...p.

Matthew 7:3-5​

King James Version​

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
Do you find engaging the bible and your intellect at odds with each other Rj?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you find engaging the bible and your intellect at odds with each other Rj?
The intellect does not make us Born Again, neither does the written word....the Living Holy Spirit does?

My intellect is the size of a pea....

Do you think the Bible is God?...many think the Bible is God!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That's an interesting admission!
Yes, I’m pointing out that the intellect doesn’t make our spirit Born Again.xx

From the worlds perspective I’m classed as “ thick” .not all in the world class me as this....only some of those who think they are intellectually superior, which of course they are, we need people like them, in fact everyone has a role to play...without intellectual people where would we be, we need politicians to run our country, surgeons, .....etc..it’s just sad that some look down on others because of their “ LOW” intellect..........my Son has a degree .....he wouldn’t dare say I was thick,hehehe.xx he knows God is listening...just my silly humour.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The only thing Paul was teaching us in Romans 7 is that the current and on-going position of the one who is in Christ is to be free from what Paul first describes as the past-tense experience of the believer, and then elaborates on.

This one.... = "that which i would do i can't"... He/She....is the : Legalist.

The Legalist is trying to empower their Christianity based on self effort. Its literally trying to be good, based on willpower.

And that is a fail, as that has disconnected the believer from...."I can do all things through Christ".......which means, "i can do nothing, when i try to do it by self effort, and will power".

Or as Jesus says about that carnal believer...."Apart from me, (my Power) you can do NOTHING".... but continue to have a failed discipleship, and a total lack of understanding regarding what it means to be "In Christ', "made Righteous".

That one is a : Hebrews 6:1

Reactions: Zao is life

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • Haha
Reactions: Ritajanice

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
2 Cor 13:5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test! 6 I hope you will find out that we have not failed the test.

Please explain how we can examine the self if it is to be classed as dead? How do we test a dead self? We can use the self as a gage as to whether we are in the faith or not. It does not say find out of self is dead or not. Self is neutral.

Reactions: Azim

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This one.... = "that which i would do i can't"... He/She....is the : Legalist.

The Legalist is trying to empower their Christianity based on self effort. Its literally trying to be good, based on willpower.

And that is a fail, as that has disconnected the believer from...."I can do all things through Christ".......which means, "i can do nothing, when i try to do it by self effort, and will power".

Or as Jesus says about that carnal believer...."Apart from me, (my Power) you can do NOTHING".... but continue to have a failed discipleship, and a total lack of understanding regarding what it means to be "In Christ', "made Righteous".

That one is a : Hebrews 6:1
You are really getting my attention with some of the well worded stuff you post. I write it this way...

I have had a number of Christians tell me about Romans 7 when I tell them I do not believe Paul taught about a "sin nature" for the Christian. Romans 7 tells us right up at the top of the chapter that Paul is talking to those who are into or know the law. And then the context of the whole chapter is how we can see it's all about Israel and their Law and how they toy with their flesh. What Paul talks about in the seventh chapter of Romans is what occurs to the believer who still thinks the Law applies to them. They end up spiritually dying by the commandment and realize that the commandment does not produce life. The war is with their flesh because they are still believing the Law has power over them. In the eighth chapter of Romans is where it explains how we overcome this whole issue by living in the spirit and being dead to the Law. We cannot live by faith in what Christ has done for us and still think our obedience to written laws are necessary. To do so takes away from the perfect work of Christ and places salvation and righteousness back in our own hands. Romans 8 states "the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin..."

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Please explain how we can examine the self if it is to be classed as dead?

Paul is not stating that the person is dead, he's describing a correct and true state of faith, that has to be maintained.

James teaches that this REAL faith, that is a living faith, manifests good works.

See, a believer can become deceived and then their faith is the same., because it becomes redirected, and off track.

Their Salvation does not change, but their Faith can become broken, ruined, and that is why The Devil creates false doctrine, Like Calvinism, or "cult of the virgin", or "mormonism" or "JW"..

Satan can't take you to hell if you are "in Christ" but he can ruin your faith for life, so, in that case, He won... and the deceived "Christian" is gone..they are caught up in the Cult's Doctrine, and this is a mental stronghold that just get tighter.... as these chains of mental and spiritual bondage, become the person's FAITH.

Paul teaches this as "falling from Grace" and to become = "Bewitched and "in the flesh"., and its always caused by a DECEIVER>

Someone like John Calvin.

Someone like Mary Baker Eddy

Someone like Valentinus

Someone like Joseph Smith

These people, have one thing in common, they are clever devils and their theology, will trap your mind and have you believing that "i always believed that"" an in fact you never did, until you were told how to "see it like they see it", regarding NT verses....< or you read their Theology, and were spellbound by it, and it became your Theology,. that a now deceived person will say..."oh i always BELIEVED JUST LIKE THAT".

No you didnt.....

And now Satan has you lying to yourself..

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Satan can't take you to hell if you are "in Christ" but he can ruin your faith for life
No one on the planet can ruin anyone’s faith, if they have been Born Of The Spirit, you speak an un- truth.

God given faith can never be ruined...100% not true, imo.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Did you say deceived?

Yes, Paul teaches that.. regarding some Born again Christians, who are "fallen from Grace". and "in the Flesh".'""

Paul says of these born again..>""""WHO, has bewitched you, that you should no longer OBEY the Truth"."" ?

You find these same types on Forums, and in Pulpits.

Some, like John Calvin, were able to deceived quite possibly, billions of people.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
No one on the planet can ruin anyone’s faith,

Satan's ministers will ruin yours.

Calvin will do it....

Paul teaches that "the Ministers of Satan, come to you, and they teach , righteousness". Yet not according to The Truth.

In other words, they have a clear and clever theology, that "seems true" but has at its core, nothing but "false".

If you need an update on "who has had their faith ruined"..

See any , JW, or Mormon, or Calvinist, or Catholic.... and there are many many more..

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, Paul teaches that.. regarding some Born again Christians, who are "fallen from Grace". and "in the Flesh".'""

Paul says of these born again..>""""WHO, has bewitched you, that you should no longer OBEY the Truth"."" ?

You find these same types on Forums, and in Pulpits.

Some, like John Calvin, were able to deceived quite possibly, billions of people.
Unfortunately because you don’t understand being chosen and predestined....which let’s be honest you don’t.

Therefore because I post what I believe the Spirit is leading me to post, because you can’t understand what is being posted and let’s be honest “ you don’t” because you never answer any of the questions.

You then go on to say Calvin has bewitched us.....you are tunnel minded, imo...one way thinking ,