Are You Saved Because You Believe OR Do You Believe Because You Are Saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you're asking "Which came first, your salvation or your faith?" My answer is BOTH.... they are One and the same. Jesus Christ is both my Salvation and the Author and Perfecter of my Faith.
Did you believe the same time he saved you?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am afraid, all I can offer is a curve ball...well, that is, in addition to a confirmation that one perhaps does not get from believing:

I was saved before ever believing, so I do not "believe", but rather "know" for certain. ;)
So if you never ended up believing, you would still be saved, even though you knew for certain?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if you never ended up believing, you would still be saved, even though you knew for certain?
Yes, just as if one were to come to know the complete truth of a matter, before knowing in part. Which, please do not misunderstand, is no compliment to him who receives such. For we know that God all the more greatly esteems those who believe by faith.

Jon Mathews

May 7, 2019
indianapolis, in
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes. When I was saved, Salvation came by Grace thru Faith. I cannot separate my Faith from my Salvation because my Faith is authored and gifted by Jesus Christ, who is my Salvation, full Grace and Truth. This is from my human perspective. But from God's perspective, who sees the end from the beginning, I have been saved from before the foundations of the earth.

Last edited:
Reactions: prism

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I think there is a difference between believing in someone or believing on someone.

I believe in the Queen, I know she is there, seen her from 6ft away.
But I don't believe upon here...I don't know her.

I always believed in God. But the day that my spiritual eyes were anointed to "see" ...I believed upon God and His Son. Only then was I saved.

Just my two cents . :)

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think there is a difference between believing in someone or believing on someone.

I always believed in God. But the day that my spiritual eyes were anointed to "see" ...I believed upon God and His Son. Only then was I saved.

yes

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'd question the part about 'in' and 'on' because most times Scripture says 'believe in'.
Perhaps the distinction you are making isbetween 'believing about' someone and 'believing in' (trusting) someone?

Reactions: Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
believing "on"...if I believe in a chair, I believe it will hold me up if I sit on it.

If I believe on the chair, I will sit on the chair.

So they are almost the same.

One of them has action following.

Reactions: Helen