Ash Wednesday

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright so I know that today is Ash Wednesday but does anybody really know what it's supposed to mean besides getting ashes on your forehead and the start of Lent for some people? I don't give up anything for Lent but why do people do that? Does it have to do with the fact that Jesus gave up His life for us on the cross?

Reactions: dev553344 and Nancy

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sack cloth and ashes or just ashes has to do with repentance and doing penance and self denial fasting alms etc for 40 days in memory of Christ in the desert fir 40 days preparing for the passion and resurrection
Deny thy self take up thy cross

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright so I know that today is Ash Wednesday but does anybody really know what it's supposed to mean besides getting ashes on your forehead and the start of Lent for some people? I don't give up anything for Lent but why do people do that? Does it have to do with the fact that Jesus gave up His life for us on the cross?
My church has a fast once a month where we go a day without food and enter into prayer, but Ash is repentance and fasting from what I've learned which is similar: Ash Wednesday - Wikipedia

I think fasting and prayer should be implemented by all churches.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here, around me they do not eat meat on Fridays and Wednesdays during lent.
Actually, only on Ash Wednessay is the only Wednesday during Lent that we abstain from meat.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easy enough to look up, but it would be better to hear it from those who know all things CC on here

@Marymog @BreadOfLife @theefaith and a couple other Episcopalians on here maybe?
Sack cloth and ashes or just ashes has to do with repentance and doing penance and self denial fasting alms etc for 40 days in memory of Christ in the desert fir 40 days preparing for the passion and resurrection
Deny thy self take up thy cross
Exactly.

In the Early Church, the Lenten season was actually reserved for the catechumens - those preparing to enter the Church. The 40 days mirrored the time that Jesus spent in the desert fasting and prayng. This eventually became the norm for the entire Church.

Giving up things is simply a form of mortification of the flesh, as Paul taught because by this denial of the body, we die to the flesh so as to live in the spirit:
Rom. 8:13
"If you live after the flesh, you shall die, but if through the spirit you mortify the deeds of the flesh, you shall live."
(see also Col. 3:5, and Gal. 5:24).

Mortification is a good discipline for our souls as well as a means of strengthening our resistance to temptation.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: theefaith

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

When the ashes are put on the forehead the priest says: “Remember man that you are dust and to dust you shall return” This is in reference to Genesis 3:19 and it’s probably meant as a yearly wake up call if you will.

Ash Wednesday is a call to Christians to remember our earthly mortality, thus repent and believe in the gospel. It is also a reminder that we will die a temporal death and thus should seek the kingdom of God.

Hope that was helpful...Mary