Aussie and Kiwi politics and events

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where I came from the winter was characterised by regular -5 frosts. Sometimes two weeks or more non stop. The days were nice though but would seldom rise above 10. Snow about an hour's drive away 4 months of the year. An hours drive from the coast.

A few Kiwis have told me that Auckland's weather is very similar to Melbournes...
You must be from the south island with that description... Where?
A mate and I went to Queenstown and Wanaka when we were younger for a snow trip so i have very fond memories of NZ

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A few Kiwis have told me that Auckland's weather is very similar to Melbournes...
You must be from the south island with that description... Where?
A mate and I went to Queenstown and Wanaka when we were younger for a snow trip so i have very fond memories of NZ
Actually, no, I could never live in the south island... Way to cold. I lived just out of a small town in the Waikato named Putaruru.

Screenshot_2020-07-25-14-20-19-34.jpg

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ummm. Good question. I think if my memory serves me well it is a Himalayan vulture thingy.

Ok cos i could see it was a vulture and was wondering if it was an Aussie native...
I thought u might of spotted it in your backyard and it started charging at you... LoL...:D

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your avatar looks like something an American native would mimic. But you're going to tell me it's Australian right?

Yea she's an Aussie but not a Victorian so she doesn't have to deal with Chairman Daniel Andrews.. LoL
That crest on her head is a strong indication that it is a type of cockatoo which are all Aussie. It's a Major Mitchell Cockatoo

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Okay so the latest name to go was "Coon Cheese" because it was seen as racist, but Coon was the last name of the founder Edward William Coon, should the Coon Cheese brand name stay? Or be changed?
I thought the name Coon was as in like a racoon, meaning a thief and a troublesome like a pest rodent or scoundrel. nothing to do with colour of people, but in the USA from what I seen on TV is that it is used for a race of people, or it comes across that way.

What I seen of a man on TV news was Mr Coon talking on Friday, I may be wrong but I think it was, and he was dark skin bloke himself.

Remember Mr Coffee on The Blue mile, is that racist ? it's a medium dark brown colour. but it is spelt with one f boss.

I seen a USA show, The Turtle man yeee yee yeee ! he was dealing with an albino coon under ground, it bit him as well.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where I came from the winter was characterised by regular -5 frosts. Sometimes two weeks or more non stop. The days were nice though but would seldom rise above 10. Snow about an hour's drive away 4 months of the year. An hours drive from the coast.

Well I can say say that for here, maybe not 4 solid months though haha, Lake Mountain is under an hour away and Mt Donna Buang is pretty close, the other mountains next to it also get snow as well. Frosty mornings aren't uncommon here, but it's usually not severe frost. We did have that really cold day last year where it snowed pretty low, nearly every mountain and hill just about had visible snow on it in the Upper Yarra Valley, it did not look like Australia haha, and the snow was within walking distance! That is a rare event though to see so much snow covering in Australia.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Backlit
As a bird lover i received such a pleasant surprise in the snowfields around Queenstown when i saw these chubby parrots doing some of the most cheekiest things ive ever seen birds do. I saw them raiding cars to try find a way in, i saw them pinching food off peoples tables and just being some of the most charismatic birds i've ever encountered... It was such a pleasure to observe the worlds only alpine parrot, the Kea...

When I got back home i decided to learn more about the KEA and learnt that they are some of the smartest birds, if not, the smartest...

kuzdnvwczsx41.jpg

They look drab until they spread their wings to reveal that beautiful colour...

I thought the name Coon was as in like a racoon, meaning a thief and a troublesome like a pest rodent or scoundrel. nothing to do with colour of people, but in the USA from what I seen on TV is that it is used for a race of people, or it comes across that way.

The term coon is an Aussie one used to describe Aborigines

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ummm. Good question. I think if my memory serves me well it is a Himalayan vulture thingy.

Ye I was curious to what it is and googled angry vulture in google images, eventually found the Himalayan vulture, honestly I did not even know it was a vulture, Cristo Rei mentioned something about an angry vulture though, had a real close look haha, and realized oh it's not a fake fuzzy face, that photographer must have been pretty lucky to take a picture like that of a Himalayan Vulture, it didn't even look real Lolz.

Reactions: Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well I can say say that for here, maybe not 4 solid months though haha, Lake Mountain is under an hour away and Mt Donna Buang is pretty close, the other mountains next to it also get snow as well. Frosty mornings aren't uncommon here, but it's usually not severe frost. We did have that really cold day last year where it snowed pretty low, nearly every mountain and hill just about had visible snow on it in the Upper Yarra Valley, it did not look like Australia haha, and the snow was within walking distance! That is a rare event though to see so much snow covering in Australia.
Yep, took a trip up Mt Donna last winter. Cold. My wife wouldn't get out of the car...I climbed to the top of the tower and stayed there for all of 5 seconds and retreated back to the car. Wasnt much to see. Bit of ice here and there. And a lot of fog. And a lyrebird.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What I seen of a man on TV news was Mr Coon talking on Friday, I may be wrong but I think it was, and he was dark skin bloke himself.

Remember Mr Coffee on The Blue mile, is that racist ? it's a medium dark brown colour. but it is spelt with one f boss.

I seen a USA show, The Turtle man yeee yee yeee ! he was dealing with an albino coon under ground, it bit him as well.

Hmmm I have heard it was a racist term before, but I also thought it was redneck slang for raccoons as well. I used to watch turtle man, Yee Yee Yee Live Action!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yep, took a trip up Mt Donna last winter. Cold. My wife wouldn't get out of the car...I climbed to the top of the tower and stayed there for all of 5 seconds and retreated back to the car. Wasnt much to see. Bit of ice here and there. And a lot of fog. And a lyrebird.

Hmm thare was quite a bit of snow there and on other mountain peaks at the start of May, a few bursts from cold fronts here and there, but not so much this winter so far. I think a part from the start of May which was a rare Autumn snow dump, this Winter hasn't had that much snow.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Backlit
As a bird lover i received such a pleasant surprise in the snowfields around Queenstown when i saw these chubby parrots doing some of the most cheekiest things ive ever seen birds do. I saw them raiding cars to try find a way in, i saw them pinching food off peoples tables and just being some of the most charismatic birds i've ever encountered... It was such a pleasure to observe the worlds only alpine parrot, the Kea...

When I got back home i decided to learn more about the KEA and learnt that they are some of the smartest birds, if not, the smartest...

kuzdnvwczsx41.jpg

They look drab until they spread their wings to reveal that beautiful colour...

The term coon is an Aussie one used to describe Aborigines
Lots of stories about those Kea. Always take a hire car when traveling to the mountains. You'll be going home without any rubber... Wiper blades... Door seals... Anything that can be removed will be removed. Or bent completely out of shape.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hmm thare was quite a bit of snow there and on other mountain peaks at the start of May, a few bursts from cold fronts here and there, but not so much this winter so far. I think a part from the start of May which was a rare Autumn snow dump, this Winter hasn't had that much snow.
And if it does come we can't go see it. Forced to stay home inside with the fire. Oh dear, what a pity, how sad. Not.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Cristo Rei I wonder if they will start to remove other last names from brands? They are ready trying to get rid of anything with a colonial reference.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And if it does come we can't go see it. Forced to stay home inside with the fire. Oh dear, what a pity, how sad. Not.

Lolz you are not missing out on much at the moment. I don't even think Mt Buller is doing well for natural snow at the moment. Saw on the snow cam, the Fox Run above the Bourke Street run I think it is, is patchy.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Wasn't much to see... You saw a LYREBIRD in the wild... For me i would be over the moon...
It tops my list of birds that i want to see in the wild. I've hiked many Km's through our mountains, never seen one.
I've used food to lure it and hidden in the best spots for hours with cameras, trying to get a glimpse of the Superb Lyrebird... Nuffin.

Im getting to the age where im thinking of taking up bird watching as a new hobby... What can i say... I luv birds... LoL...:):):)
Iv even considered getting into falconry (hunting with a bird of prey) but it's just too much work

Status
Not open for further replies.