Baptism in Jesus’ Name?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CoreIssue

Your whole post is in quote, so it is harder for me to respond using the tools on my computer; if you will drag the mouse over the desired text, below it will appear the option to either quote or reply. If you quote, you can then have the option to add the quotes to your reply. It will have a [quote~] and then a [~/quote], and you can type your response immediately after it says [~/quote]. At the end will be the text [/quote] and at the beginning will be the text {quote} only with [] surrounding.

So after the [/quote], just type out your response and it will be easier for me to respond to you. As it is, you are making me copy and paste your responses, and right now I am not willing to do that because it appears to me that you aren't open to what I have to say to you anyway.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CoreIssue

Your whole post is in quote, so it is harder for me to respond using the tools on my computer; if you will drag the mouse over the desired text, below it will appear the option to either quote or reply. If you quote, you can then have the option to add the quotes to your reply. It will have a [quote~] and then a [~/quote], and you can type your response immediately after it says [~/quote]. At the end will be the text
and at the beginning will be the text {quote} only with [] surrounding.

So after the [/quote], just type out your response and it will be easier for me to respond to you. As it is, you are making me copy and paste your responses, and right now I am not willing to do that because it appears to me that you aren't open to what I have to say to you anyway.[/QUOTE]
I use Xenforo for my forum, but a different style.

I use nested quotes, which are not used here, but make conversations easier to follow.

Until recent updates one could also highlight the text and click a quote button that. Also valuable.

No quote option is appearing. Just a continuous "Loading..."

So, there may be of bug or it may currently not like Firefox.

As well, when you post contains several issues, putting everything after the last quote makes it hard to reference what you said and for others to understand.

Try posting each issue separately instead of like a long laundry list.

I played with it some more. If you use the reply button, you cannot highlight and quote just parts of oppose, you have to go to their original post and quote each part separately. Way too much work.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's too hard to explain to you how to do it. I suppose the conversation is over until you can figure out how it works.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's too hard to explain to you how to do it. I suppose the conversation is over until you can figure out how it works.

You misunderstood my point. I know all about reply and multi quote.

But, when you include multiple topics in one post, the old add-on I'm talking about allows for separating that one post into multiple quotes. But it is not offered for Xenforo 2.

In the past it could be done on other bulletin board software as well. And even if found, it can only be added by authorized admin since it requires server access.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like XF. It is far better than VBulletin and the freeware ones. And far cheaper.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus told the disciples; “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,” (Matthew 28:19) (NET)

“Peter said to them, “Repent, and each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38)
(NET)

MY THOUGHTS:

When a diplomat, let’s say an ambassador, goes to a foreign country he is said to have authority to speak on behalf of his country.

Likewise, when Peter said to baptize in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins...he was speaking on the authority of Jesus.

Same as in Matthew 28: 19: “...baptizing them in(to) [better translation] the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” but in this context, Jesus is saying to baptize into the name of the Triune God.

The New Testament churches caught on this and rightly baptized in the name of the Trinity.

I hope this helps.

To God Be The Glory

D

Dave L

MY THOUGHTS:

When a diplomat, let’s say an ambassador, goes to a foreign country he is said to have authority to speak on behalf of his country.

Likewise, when Peter said to baptize in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins...he was speaking on the authority of Jesus.

Same as in Matthew 28: 19: “...baptizing them in(to) [better translation] the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” but in this context, Jesus is saying to baptize into the name of the Triune God.

The New Testament churches caught on this and rightly baptized in the name of the Trinity.

I hope this helps.

To God Be The Glory
“And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.” (Acts 3:16) It was the name, not the

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MY THOUGHTS:

I hope this helps.

To God Be The Glory
Yes; if you read the book of Acts you will find that every instance in which they baptized someone it was in the name of the Lord Jesus. So yes; Jesus is the Trinity: in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily (Colossians 2:9).

Reactions: Dave L

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 3:20-21, 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes; if you read the book of Acts you will find that every instance in which they baptized someone it was in the name of the Lord Jesus. So yes; Jesus is the Trinity: in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily (Colossians 2:9).

Remember Jesus is one of three persons in the Godhead. We do NOT say He is the Trinity but one of the Trinity.

I believe the solution of Acts 2:38; 19:5 is what I have illustrated in post #66.

If the chronology of the books in the Bible is correct, Matthew 28:18-19 would then have come before Acts 2:38.

I say it again, Matthew 28:19 is the formula by which we are to baptize in the name (authority) of Jesus.

How do we conclude after our prayers, don't we finish by saying, "in Jesus name (authority) we pray?"

To God Be The Glory

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what do you guys think the purpose of baptism is?

In Scripture, the word "baptize" means to wash that is, when we are baptized our sins have all been washed away.

However, there is only one baptism (Ephesians 4:5) and that is the washing of regeneration and God is the only person who can perform this washing away (Titus 3:5).

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: H. Richard

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Noah and his family were not saved by the water. The water was Gods judgement on those that sinned by not believing what God said. The Ark that Noah built saved them through the water.

Noah was told by God to build an Ark. It was built by human hands (Noah’s hands). The waters of God‘s wrath in the flood did not touch Noah and those with him. Noah, by his choice, obeyed God and went into the Ark he had built. --- The waters of the flood were the judgment of God on a sinful world full of sinful people. That does not mean that Noah was sinless. It means Noah believed what God told him.

Today there is another Ark. It is “”NOT”” built by human hands. It is built by the hands (will) of God. - Man can not go into the Ark that God has built by his own efforts (will)(by what he does). He must be placed in God’s Ark (Jesus) by God (the Holy Spirit). God places a person in the Ark (Jesus) He built when that person places their faith, trust and confidence in Jesus’ work on the cross to save him/her. -- This Ark that God has built carries those in it safely over the sins “THEY” commit in their flesh. Their sins can not touch them since they have been atoned (paid) for by the blood of Jesus on the cross.

Jesus Christ is OUR ARK, and just as those in Noah's Ark were kept from the waters of the flood, we who are placed ""in Christ,"" by God, and are kept from the judgment of the law. If we are not ""in Christ"" the law condemns us.

I believe what Paul said when he penned the words ""in Christ."" I also believe that we are placed ""in Christ"" by God. It is an operation of the Holy Spirit (God).

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.” (Acts 3:16) It was the name, not the

Peter was not preaching to the Gentiles. He did not know they were included until many years later. Paul was specifically sent to the Gentile with a gospel of grace, no law, no water baptism.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Peter was not preaching to the Gentiles. He did not know they were included until many years later. Paul was specifically sent to the Gentile with a gospel of grace, no law, no water baptism.
Are you saying that those to whom Paul preached were not told they were to be baptized?
Could you please post something on this? A link or wherever you got this info...
Thanks

D

Dave L

Really?

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that those to whom Paul preached were not told they were to be baptized?
Could you please post something on this? A link or wherever you got this info...
Thanks

It is common sense that if Peter did not know the Gentiles were to be included on that day then how could he be preaching to the Gentiles. God had to send Peter a vision to get him to see it.

What Peter preached was to the Jews who were under the law only. Water washing was part of the Jewish law.

Paul never included water baptism as a requirement to be saved. His gospel of grace was based on faith in Jesus' work on the cross only.

See my post "THE Gospel"

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It is common sense that if Peter did not know the Gentiles were to be included on that day then how could he be preaching to the Gentiles. God had to send Peter a vision to get him to see it.

What Peter preached was to the Jews who were under the law only. Water washing was part of the Jewish law.

Paul never included water baptism as a requirement to be saved. His gospel of grace was based on faith in Jesus' work on the cross only.

See my post "THE Gospel"
The Apostolic Fathers and the ECF taught baptism.
I don't know if Paul baptized, I know he said he was sent to preach, this does not mean that baptism was not in his teaching.

Can't read your thread right now,,,would have liked a link.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said, I and my Father are one. (John 10:30). No one comes to the Father except through Jesus (John 14:6).