Baptism in Jesus’ Name?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus told the disciples;
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,” (Matthew 28:19) (NET)

“Peter said to them,
“Repent, and each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38) (NET)

Every account of baptism in Acts shows the disciples baptizing believers in the name of Jesus Christ, and not in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

How do you resolve this with Matthew 28:19?

I received baptism as a believer by immersion in the name of Jesus Christ as a trinitarian. And I believe this method shows that Jesus Christ (YHWH) is the personal name of the triune God (Godhead).

“Now I desire to remind you (even though you have been fully informed of these facts once for all) that Jesus, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, later destroyed those who did not believe.” (Jude 5)

Any thoughts?

Hello @Dave L.

Jude 5 hold no fear for me, Praise God!

I believe that the baptism that takes place in the lives of the member of the Church which is the Body of Christ, is of the Spirit, performed by Him and by no other hand. It is the identification of the believer with His Lord, in His death, burial, quickening, resurrection and ascension to God's right hand. It is a finished work and is complete. It takes place when faith enters and the new life in Christ begins.

No outward act, performed by man, is of any value in regard to righteousness before God.
We are accepted in the Beloved, and Complete in Him.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: H. Richard

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again, @Dave L,

Regarding Matthew 28:19, I believe that will be ultimately fulfilled when the kingdom will be proclaimed once more at the end of the age.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

D

Dave L

Hello again, @Dave L,

Regarding Matthew 28:19, I believe that will be ultimately fulfilled when the kingdom will be proclaimed once more at the end of the age.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Jesus preached the present kingdom based on faith as did the apostles. Pre-millennialists preach a different future kingdom based on sight.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte
D

Dave L

Hello @Dave L.

I believe that the baptism that takes place in the lives of the member of the Church which is the Body of Christ, is of the Spirit, performed by Him and by no other hand. It is the identification of the believer with His Lord, in His death, burial, quickening, resurrection and ascension to God's right hand. It is a finished work and is complete. It takes place when faith enters and the new life in Christ begins.

No outward act, performed by man, is of any value in regard to righteousness before God.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
But they all baptized believers by immersion in water in the name of Jesus Christ where ever the details mention a baptismal formula. Oneness Pentecostals get it wrong not realizing Jesus Christ is the personal name of the Triune God.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus preached the present kingdom based on faith as did the apostles. Pre-millennialists preach a different future kingdom based on sight.

Hello @Dave L,

Proof please regarding your second statement (highlighted)

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But they all baptized believers by immersion in water in the name of Jesus Christ where ever the details mention a baptismal formula. Oneness Pentecostals get it wrong not realizing Jesus Christ is the personal name of the Triune God.

Hello @Dave L,

Will you please give scriptural authority for you last remark, I have no knowledge of who or what 'Oneness Pentecostals' are, or what belief they hold regarding baptism, but I do know what the Scriptures say, and water baptism, and the secondary baptism of the Spirit experience demanded of some, is not a requirement for the members of the Church which is the Body of Christ, as a reading of the epistles administered by Paul following it's revelation (Eph. Phil. Col. 1 & 2 Tim. Tutus and Phile) will show: for it is conspicuous by it's absence.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

D

Dave L

Hello @Dave L,

Will you please give scriptural authority for you last remark, I have no knowledge of who or what 'Oneness Pentecostals' are, or what belief they hold regarding baptism, but I do know what the Scriptures say, and water baptism, and the secondary baptism of the Spirit experience demanded of some, is not a requirement for the members of the Church which is the Body of Christ, as a reading of the epistles administered by Paul following it's revelation (Eph. Phil. Col. 1 & 2 Tim. Tutus and Phile) will show: for it is conspicuous by it's absence.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Are you a Quaker?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Premillennialists look for a physical kingdom in Jerusalem before the end of the world. Jesus says his kingdom comes without observation, and is not of this world.
'And when He was demanded of the Pharisees,
when the kingdom of God should come,
He answered them and said,
The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there!
for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.'

(Luke 17:20)

Hello again @Dave L,

There will be a fulfillment of the promises made by God, to the Fathers of the children of Israel, in which everything that was promised will be fulfilled, for God always keeps His promises, this will be accomplished at the reconciliation of all things.

Regarding your use of Luke 17:19 (above), the word, 'observation' means ('hostile watching' - Gr. parateresis): and the Pharisees were indeed hostile, were they not. The Lord goes on to say, that the kingdom of God is 'within you', referring to His presence 'among them', and not to the internal presence of the Kingdom of God, which could never have been said concerning the Pharisees. The Kingdom of God was there among them in the presence of the King, His own dear self. had they but eyes to see.

You have therefore not used this verse as it was intended, Dave.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: H. Richard

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are you a Quaker?

No, Dave, I am not. I am not affiliated to any denomination, but am a member of the Church which is His Body, 'the fulness of Him that filleth all in all.'

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

D

Dave L

'And when He was demanded of the Pharisees,
when the kingdom of God should come,
He answered them and said,
The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there!
for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.'

(Luke 17:20)

Hello again @Dave L,

There will be a fulfillment of the promises made by God, to the Fathers of the children of Israel, in which everything that was promised will be fulfilled, for God always keeps His promises, this will be accomplished at the reconciliation of all things.

Regarding your use of Luke 17:19 (above), the word, 'observation' means ('hostile watching' - Gr. parateresis): and the Pharisees were indeed hostile, were they not. The Lord goes on to say, that the kingdom of God is 'within you', referring to His presence 'among them', and not to the internal presence of the Kingdom of God, which could never have been said concerning the Pharisees. The Kingdom of God was there among them in the presence of the King, His own dear self. had they but eyes to see.

You have therefore not used this verse as it was intended, Dave.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
But, “For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him [Jesus] Amen, unto the glory of God by us.” (2 Corinthians 1:20)

The land shall not be sold for ever: for the land is mine [Jesus]; for ye are strangers and sojourners with me.” (Leviticus 25:23)

Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.” (Galatians 3:16)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But, “For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him [Jesus] Amen, unto the glory of God by us.” (2 Corinthians 1:20)

The land shall not be sold for ever: for the land is mine [Jesus]; for ye are strangers and sojourners with me.” (Leviticus 25:23)

Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.” (Galatians 3:16)
Hello @Dave L,

(2 Corinthians 1:20) - is a lovely verse, but why have you quoted it, what is it intended to convey to me, in relation to the subject in hand, which is 'Baptism in Jesus Name'? If it is intended to refute what I said regarding the promises of God, made to the Fathers of the children of Israel, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, then it does not do that.

(Leviticus 25:23) - The Land is indeed God's, I agree, and Israel were as 'strangers' and 'sojourners' within that land, with Him; but it was promised to them as a dwelling place, as part of their inheritance, as they were also God's own inheritance on the earth, His treasure, His peculiar People, chosen and beloved. As the Church which is His Body will be His inheritance 'in heavenly places' in Christ Jesus. Two different callings, two different spheres of blessing.

(Galatians 3:16) - the promise referred to in this verse was the promise of faith given to Abraham in Christ, which is found in Gen 22:18:- 'And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice. ' a spiritual seed, born of faith in the sacrificial work of Christ on their behalf.

'For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free,
there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.'

(Gal 3:26-29)

* This was the believing remnant and the gentiles who were grafted into the Olive Tree of Israel, a spiritual seed, during the Acts period.
* This is not the Church which is the Body of Christ of which He is the Head, for at this point it had not been revealed to Paul to be administered, being still 'hid in God' (Eph. 3:9)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

D

Dave L

Hello @Dave L,

(2 Corinthians 1:20) - is a lovely verse, but why have you quoted it, what is it intended to convey to me, in relation to the subject in hand, which is 'Baptism in Jesus Name'? If it is intended to refute what I said regarding the promises of God, made to the Fathers of the children of Israel, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, then it does not do that.

(Leviticus 25:23) - The Land is indeed God's, I agree, and Israel were as 'strangers' and 'sojourners' within that land, with Him; but it was promised to them as a dwelling place, as part of their inheritance, as they were also God's own inheritance on the earth, His treasure, His peculiar People, chosen and beloved. As the Church which is His Body will be His inheritance 'in heavenly places' in Christ Jesus. Two different callings, two different spheres of blessing.

(Galatians 3:16) - the promise referred to in this verse was the promise of faith given to Abraham in Christ, which is found in Gen 22:18:- 'And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice. ' a spiritual seed, born of faith in the sacrificial work of Christ on their behalf.

'For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free,
there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.'

(Gal 3:26-29)

* This was the believing remnant and the gentiles who were grafted into the Olive Tree of Israel, a spiritual seed, during the Acts period.
* This is not the Church which is the Body of Christ of which He is the Head, for at this point it had not been revealed to Paul to be administered, being still 'hid in God' (Eph. 3:9)

In Christ Jesus
Chris
I don't understand your Dispensationalism (one thing) that your above claims seem to contradict.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is speaking of the godhead, the three individual spirits who are all god individually and separately.

The Bible teaches that there is one Spirit (Ephesians 4:4).

Well like it or not, the spirit of Christ is 100% God, his flesh 100% human and his mind both.

I like it not because it isn't true. the reality is that Jesus is 100% Man and 100% God, spirit and soul and body.

Better study the bible more carefully, he was capable of sinning, but refused to do so.

Jesus was the only begotten Son, and therefore incapable of sinning (1 John 3:9).

The only beings in heaven spoken of in the bible with flesh and blood are the Four Living Creatures, which I covered in the links you already got from me. And of course Enoch and Elijah.

Jesus Christ is come in the flesh (1 John 4:1-3, 2 John 1:7): and this includes His body, the church.

Think about it. Your stripping Christ of freewill.

Does God the Father have free will? I believe that He does. Yet I think that you must agree that He is incapable of sinning: it is not in His nature to sin.

You just said God died.

Yes, God died. His Spirit and Soul were separated from His body (when Jesus died on the Cross).

No way...you do the Lord a great disfavour here. If that be the case then He did not win over the Devil legally. He had an unfair advantage. Not so. He came, He lived, and He died as the Son of Man... He knew how to live in the Spirit 100% of the time.
We still go in and out of the Spirit.

If Jesus can sin, then there is great spiritual danger for all of us; because the devil can through temptation corrupt the goodness of God, who is our Lord Jesus Christ

Hello @Dave L.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

It is written in 1 Peter 3:21 that baptism doth also now save us. The latter end of the verse just previous will reveal that this is speaking of baptism in water.

* This is not the Church which is the Body of Christ of which He is the Head, for at this point it had not been revealed to Paul to be administered, being still 'hid in God'

The seed being spoken of, there, is Christ, and by extension His body and bride. So it is His church because we are members of his body. Because the seed is not plural but singular, referring to Christ alone. So if this is not speaking of His body, the church, then Jesus is the only human being who ever has been or ever will be a recipient of the promise being spoken of there.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible teaches that there is one Spirit (Ephesians 4:4).

The role of the holy spirit is not the same as their makeup. Angels are spirit beings as well. Our spirits dwell in our bodies.

I like it not because it isn't true. the reality is that Jesus is 100% Man and 100% God, spirit and soul and body.

So, the flesh of Jesus is God. God has blood and God can be hurt......... No.

Jesus was the only begotten Son, and therefore incapable of sinning (1 John 3:9).

By his character, not by his humanity.

Jesus Christ is come in the flesh (1 John 4:1-3, 2 John 1:7): and this includes His body, the moving in arrested outside ms Church did not exist until after his resurrection.

Does God the Father have free will? I believe that He does. Yet I think that you must agree that He is incapable of sinning: it is not in His nature to sin.

Yes, God died. His Spirit and Soul were separated from His body (when Jesus died on the Cross).

Wow. So for a while there was no Trinity.

If Jesus can sin, then there is great spiritual danger for all of us; because the devil can through temptation corrupt the goodness of God, who is our Lord Jesus Christ

There was. A Jesus overcame it.

It is written in 1 Peter 3:21 that baptism doth also now save us. The latter end of the verse just previous will reveal that this is speaking of baptism in water.

No. Baptism of the holy spirit.

The seed being spoken of, there, is Christ, and by extension His body and bride. So it is His church because we are members of his body. Because the seed is not plural but singular, referring to Christ alone. So if this is not speaking of His body, the church, then Jesus is the only human being who ever has been or ever will be a recipient of the promise being spoken of there.

There are promises to the seed and the seeds. Only Christ receives those to the seed.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To @CoreIssue

So, the flesh of Jesus is God. God has blood and God can be hurt......... No.

Yes, God has blood, see Acts 20:28 (kjv).

By his character, not by his humanity.

No argument there; although His Deity is intertwined in His humanity so that they are basically inseparable.

Wow. So for a while there was no Trinity.

How do you figure?

There was. A Jesus overcame it.

He's still in the flesh (1 John 4:1-3, 2 John 1:7).

No. Baptism of the Holy Spirit ,<fify>.

Did you even look up the verses mentioned? I don't think you did: instead you simply spouted your view in contradiction to the scripture that was brought up.

Here, I'll quote it for you:

1 Peter 3:20-21, 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To @CoreIssue

Yes, God has blood, see Acts 20:28 (kjv).

24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace. 25 “Now I know that none of you among whom I have gone about preaching the kingdom will ever see me again. 26 Therefore, I declare to you today that I am innocent of the blood of any of you. 27 For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God. 28 Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God,a]">[a] which he bought with his own blood.b]">[

No argument there; although His Deity is intertwined in His humanity so that they are basically inseparable.

Read more carefully. The blood of Christ, not God.

But He's still in the flesh (1 John 4:1-3, 2 John 1:7).

Glorified, not earthly flesh. His humanity, not his spirit which is God.

Did you even look up the verses mentioned? I don't think you did: instead you simply spouted your view in contradiction to the scripture that was brought up.

Here, I'll quote it for you:

1 Peter 3:20-21, 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 3:20-21 New International Version (NIV)
20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.a]">[a] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Yes, water baptism is symbolic outwardly of the baptism of the holy spirit inwardly.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus told the disciples; “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,” (Matthew 28:19) (NET)

“Peter said to them, “Repent, and each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38) (NET)

Every account of baptism in Acts shows the disciples baptizing believers in the name of Jesus Christ, and not in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

How do you resolve this with Matthew 28:19?

I received baptism as a believer by immersion in the name of Jesus Christ as a trinitarian. And I believe this method shows that Jesus Christ (YHWH) is the personal name of the triune God (Godhead).

“Now I desire to remind you (even though you have been fully informed of these facts once for all) that Jesus, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, later destroyed those who did not believe.” (Jude 5)

Any thoughts?
The key word here is "name."

It gives the answer to the question of who the Triune God is, by name. "The Word became flesh" is the Son because He is [the image] "of" the Father, whom is Spirit...and Holy. Three in One.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I listen to linguists break down and explain this verse.

The is kai and the Greek. And identifies the name that follows as a unique individual. So this is a statement of the Trinity.

Matthew 28:19 New International Version (NIV)
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,