Baptism in water vs Baptism in Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Shy said:
As many of us know, the baptism in water is simply a public testimony of our faith, that we have accepted Jesus in our lives and that we desire to follow Him.
Where does it say that in scripture?

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Mungo said:
Where does it say that in scripture?
LOL now lets add the necessity of water baptism as practiced and taught by the catholic church.

I pray Lord, help us and please return quickly so the nonsense will be put to rest.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rex said:
LOL now lets add the necessity of water baptism as practiced and taught by the catholic church.

I pray Lord, help us and please return quickly so the nonsense will be put to rest.
It seemed a simple enough question.

This is the Bible Study & Discipleship Forum

Is there a problem with showing where the Bible states that "baptism in water is simply a public testimony of our faith, that we have
accepted Jesus in our lives and that we desire to follow Him"?

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Mungo said:
It seemed a simple enough question.

This is the Bible Study & Discipleship Forum

Is there a problem with showing where the Bible states that "baptism in water is simply a public testimony of our faith, that we have
accepted Jesus in our lives and that we desire to follow Him"?
And just where does it say sprinkling with water is baptism as well as excluding the "drink" or wine from communion?

Lets face it the churches today and of the past all have their own form of interpretation "necessities" for salvation.

Bible study is a pick and choose proposition in the world today.
Your the one that will be required to give an account so choose wisely.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rex said:
And just where does it say sprinkling with water is baptism as well as excluding the "drink" or wine from communion?

Lets face it the churches today and of the past all have their own form of interpretation "necessities" for salvation.

Bible study is a pick and choose proposition in the world today.
Your the one that will be required to give an account so choose wisely.
You seem to have a problem answering a simple question.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Mungo said:
You seem to have a problem answering a simple question.
You seem to have a problem with selective definitions.
AKA baptism and communion, nether of which you practice as described in the NT.

Then you think you can tell others what the bible says and teaches, that's a bit hypocritical don't you think?
Telling people they must be baptized but not practicing baptism by immersion, or practicing the necessity of communion and excluding the drink.

Then stand here with a straight face and tell people what is and isn't in the bible, really!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rex said:
You seem to have a problem with selective definitions.
AKA baptism and communion, nether of which you practice as described in the NT.

Then you think you can tell others what the bible says and teaches, that's a bit hypocritical don't you think?
Telling people they must be baptized but not practicing baptism by immersion, or practicing the necessity of communion and excluding the drink.

Then stand here with a straight face and tell people what is and isn't in the bible, really!

I haven't said a word about any of the topics you have raised. They seem to be your obsession.

Nor have I tried to tell anyone what the Bible says and teaches, or what is or isn't in the Bible.

I've just asked a simple question about where something that the OP stated is in the Bible

You asked Alanforchrist Do you have some verses that we can look at that support your "bolded statement above"

Do I not have the same right to ask where something that is stated can be found in the Bible?

If you do not know the answer then perhaps you could just leave it to someone else to answer.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
You and I both know your a catholic, to now try to presume your not going to implicate the teachings of the catholic church is completely disingenuous.
I would simply like to forgo the formalities and get to the bottom of the matter, but you can dance to the song any way you like, unless of course you have denounced the teachings of the catholic church?

So lets not build a straw-man or beat around the bush shall we

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rex said:
You and I both know your a catholic, to now try to presume your not going to implicate the teachings of the catholic church is completely disingenuous.
I would simply like to forgo the formalities and get to the bottom of the matter, but you can dance to the song any way you like, unless of course you have denounced the teachings of the catholic church?

So lets not build a straw-man or beat around the bush shall we
Gee! You have a serious problem.

Can anyone answer my question?

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rex said:
Are you or anyone else able to stand before any people of the world and speak in tongues and they understand? as was done in Acts chapter 2?

If not then, then your mouth has spoken of something your faith can't support or produce.
I'd like to see an answer to this, as this is my understanding of speaking in tongues, it is to be understood by someone hearing.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
It has little to do with a mans desire or want, it's a gift, subject to the Lord not the desires of men.

Men boosting that they have this gift is troubling enough, I define it as being a false prophet.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rex said:
Your hypothetical question? that will lead to your point, that I already addressed?

LOL

It's not a hypothetical question and you have not even attempted an answer.

Nor is belief that "baptism in water" is more than "simply a public testimony of our faith" a particularly Catholic belief. Many Protestant denominations believe this also.

As the title of the thread is "Baptism in water vs Baptism in Holy Spirit", it seems reasoble to question what seems to be an assumtion in the OP.

I can't understand why you have a problem with answering this, but must keep dodging round and raising straw men that have no bearing on my question.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Mungo said:
It's not a hypothetical question and you have not even attempted an answer.

Nor is belief that "baptism in water" is more than "simply a public testimony of our faith" a particularly Catholic belief. Many Protestant denominations believe this also.

As the title of the thread is "Baptism in water vs Baptism in Holy Spirit", it seems reasoble to question what seems to be an assumtion in the OP.

I can't understand why you have a problem with answering this, but must keep dodging round and raising straw men that have no bearing on my question.
Do you see the big letters above, that's what makes it a hypothetical question, you know the answer, or have your response already formulated.

And I wasn't speaking to other protestant denominations I was speaking to you, so why would I be talking to some other denomination besides yours?
There is plenty of fruit cake being served every where.

Shy

Feb 1, 2013
Madrid, Spain
Guys, you made this whole topic a mess.. I just desire to know a simple answer to a simple question..

And yes, I am born again, but I've went through stages in my life in which I don't even know what "trust" is. Today in church I got that reassurance again (simple bible study). Ironically enough, we spoke about Holy Spirit. It seems the therm of "tongues" has been corrupted years ago when someone faked it and began being used by religions.

The idea of "tongues" originally in the times of the apostles was a different language to preach the Word to the gentiles who did know the language.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Maybe you should consider when the old covenant ended and the new one began.

Your not going to find agreeable answers by asking questions from people that follow multiple denominations.
If you what agreeable people find a church or denomination but you may not find total agreement there as well.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Does love trump sound doctrine?
Do we or are we instructed to love every thing spoken in the name of Christ whether true of false?

Did Jesus tell the scribes and Pharisees he loved them? Did he speak to then in love?

IMO churches today are in some cases nothing more than modern scribes and Pharisees difference being you have a choice about what brand you choose to believe. That is If your to preoccupied to find out for yourself.

Finding out for yourself involves listening to different opinions

BTW this is not being un-loving, its simply saying it like it is, that is the truth and speaking the truth is loving someone else.
Many consider it a unloving to not patronize someone elses beliefs. If you want someone to tell you what you want to here I'm not that person but many false prophets will be happy to take up the case.

And FYI you couldn't have picked a more controversial topic as water baptism VS being born of the Spirit.

Shy

Feb 1, 2013
Madrid, Spain
Are you perhaps blaming me because I desire to know and learn more about God? Perhaps you should have not replied in this topic in the first place?

Whatever the case, Jesus is love and I desire to be like him.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Shy said:
Guys, you made this whole topic a mess.. I just desire to know a simple answer to a simple question..
Your the one that made the statement above. Why?
Are you now going to blame me for expressing my faith?
In response to your question.

Shy said:
Are you perhaps blaming me because I desire to know and learn more about God? Perhaps you should have not replied in this topic in the first place?

Whatever the case, Jesus is love and I desire to be like him.
No problem I'll leave you to your thread, I'm sure that a casual glance at other topics will reviel what I have said is true.
You can't find one topic on this forum where everyone agrees.

So back to my question why have I or we made your topic a mess? It looks like every other topic here.