'Because God said so!'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If this is the real answer to the tough questions in life - why not just say it? Why make up all kinds of arguments justifying why God said so or even think anymore about the issue.

After talking about the homosexual issue for 28 pages - I have discovered that there is no reason why God hates homosexuality for Christians - none. The answer is simply 'Because God said so!'. Yet, the Christians I have talked to about this issue feel the need to explain the practical reasons for resisting homosexuality. Not sure why....

Reactions: ttruscott

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi aspen,

After talking about the homosexual issue for 28 pages - I have discovered that there is no reason why God hates homosexuality for Christians - none. The answer is simply 'Because God said so!'. Yet, the Christians I have talked to about this issue feel the need to explain the practical reasons for resisting homosexuality. Not sure why....

I have explained much more than this in my posts from the beginning of my interaction on CyB with regard to homosexuality. There are reasons. They are all simple, in that they require radical and straightforward logic.

You have agreed that Christians should not practise homosexuality, 'because God said so'. Are you saying that you don't understand why (He said so)? If this is what you mean by your opening statement in this thread, please confirm, and I'll look back over the posts I've made to see if I've missed out anything which might clarify it further for you.

Many thanks.

Hi neophyte,

There are many Bible verses in which God states plainly that He hates sinners. Nevertheless, because He is good, and He loves justice, He took upon Himself to justify mankind from sin, despite this verse:

Proverbs 17:15 5 He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both [are] abomination to the LORD.

Romans 3:26 To declare, [I say], at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Nobody is 'just' for not believing in Jesus. They don't have a Godgiven right to reject Him. The opposite is true.

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am saying that God does not give a reason for condemning homosexuality for Christians - it is not a matter of misunderstanding - there is no reason given. Nor am I claiming that there should be a reason given. My point is - the answer is - Because God said so.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the record, I never said God hated homosexuals. I said he hates homosexuality for Christians.

Jul 6, 2011
aspen2,
That God said is basically .. what God said. God is God, if people cant take what He said as the truth then they arent referringb to God, but a 'god' in their own making subject to people's wisdom and judgment. (this is another example of liberal counterfit christianity)
But on the homosexual issue it is pretty obvious from observable functional anatomy that God is right and homosexuality is wrong. Far from a difficult question, it is a no brainer actually.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Funny,,, I had one of those "I'm frustrated with you" talks with God the otherday concerning why sin is sin etc.. The answer I got was because "I said so!", But, I think it may be much more than this and I'm reminded of somthing I believe the Lord told me a while ago.

Sin is sin, not because God said so, but because it's a "being" that exists. No matter how small or innocent it seems, it's destructive and will keep growing. Just as a little leaven leavens the whole bunch, or a grain of mustard seed growing into some large stalk, sin works the same as faith. Feed one and it will starve out the other.

So, because sin exists as a destroyer, it becomes "Illegal" for us.

However, I'm still going to ask why everyone seems concerned with homosexuality above all other sins. Out of all the questions I've wanted to ask God when I die, this will be the one. (If you could only ask one question and get an aswer to.)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Funny,,, I had one of those "I'm frustrated with you" talks with God the otherday concerning why sin is sin etc.. The answer I got was because "I said so!", But, I think it may be much more than this and I'm reminded of somthing I believe the Lord told me a while ago.

Sin is sin, not because God said so, but because it's a "being" that exists. No matter how small or innocent it seems, it's destructive and will keep growing. Just as a little leaven leavens the whole bunch, or a grain of mustard seed growing into some large stalk, sin works the same as faith. Feed one and it will starve out the other.

So, because sin exists as a destroyer, it becomes "Illegal" for us.

However, I'm still going to ask why everyone seems concerned with homosexuality above all other sins. Out of all the questions I've wanted to ask God when I die, this will be the one. (If you could only ask one question and get an aswer to.)

I agree with you - sin is the corruption of the good and is forbidden. I also agree that homosexuality is singled out as a greater sin. I think it is because you are either tempted by it or you're are not. Those who are not think they are qualified to throw the first stone.

It is interesting that you were talking with God about sin recently - so have I. I got the answer that it is allowed to exist so that our ability to love will be stretched and strengthened to include even the most difficult to love.

blessings

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
I am saying that God does not give a reason for condemning homosexuality for Christians - it is not a matter of misunderstanding - there is no reason given. Nor am I claiming that there should be a reason given. My point is - the answer is - Because God said so.

But God does give His reasons.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen2,
That God said is basically .. what God said. God is God, if people cant take what He said as the truth then they arent referringb to God, but a 'god' in their own making subject to people's wisdom and judgment. (this is another example of liberal counterfit christianity)
But on the homosexual issue it is pretty obvious from observable functional anatomy that God is right and homosexuality is wrong. Far from a difficult question, it is a no brainer actually.

Of course it is a no-brainer if you are using the God standard for your life. Most are not - and they live here too.

I am sure He does, but he needs no defense.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
1 Corinthians 6:9 "Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,"
This sums it all up!

He does not hate homosexual offenders but the basic construct of homosexuality is sin. God despises sin and not the person yet with the power of the Holy Spirit (which all believers have) he keeps us and leads us into righteousness. Was Jesus' life or the apostles as life of homosexuality?

Jul 6, 2011
Aspen2,
I am saying that God does not give a reason for condemning homosexuality for Christians
Again you are twisting what God said from a starting point of error. This is exactly what the serpent did to Eve. God gives reasons for condemning homosexuality for all people. Genesis 1 tells you. Romans 1 tells you. It is plain for all to see that God created man and woman to be in union, the natural according to anatomy.
Of course it is a no-brainer if you are using the God standard for your life.
On the contrary, it is a no brainer from anatomical reality even if you are not using God’s standard for life. Ignorance and stupidity doesn’t change the reality.
and they live here too.
Still doesnt change the reality, but they should get in touch with it if they live here.

Apen2
You wrote
I am saying that God does not give a reason for condemning homosexuality for Christians
Dragonfly wrote
But God does give His reasons
You wrote
I am sure He does, ...
So you are saying He doesn’t but you are sure he does.
have you any idea how confused you are?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BMS,

Again you are twisting what God said from a starting point of error. This is exactly what the serpent did to Eve. God gives reasons for condemning homosexuality for all people. Genesis 1 tells you. Romans 1 tells you. It is plain for all to see that God created man and woman to be in union, the natural according to anatomy.

Your anatomy argument is absurd. It reminds me of Kirk Cameron and that other guy trying to argue for the existence of God from design by explaining how well a banana fits into the human hand. What you are advocating is wrong - Solomon agrees with me.

On the contrary, it is a no brainer from anatomical reality even if you are not using God’s standard for life. Ignorance and stupidity doesn’t change the reality.
Still doesnt change the reality, but they should get in touch with it if they live here.

Really? So same sex attraction is just a matter of being ignorant and stupid? You really have no clue - which is why I think you are the last person qualified to pass judgment on this issue.

Apen2
You wrote
Dragonfly wrote
You wrote
So you are saying He doesn’t but you are sure he does.
have you any idea how confused you are?

Of course, I sound confused when you cut up my sentences. Despite your pathological need for consistency - not all words or phrases are interchangeable.

Jul 6, 2011
Aspen2,

Your anatomy argument is absurd.
The anatomy argument is reality. It is asking you to accept that someone’s feelings are subjective, the physical anatomical difference is objective. If one is to base a view on either the objective would be better. And one cant eliminate the objective evidence by the subjective.

Really? So same sex attraction is just a matter of being ignorant and stupid?
No, not the attraction, but the idea that it is normal.
You really have no clue - which is why I think you are the last person qualified to pass judgment on this issue.
Ever heard of God? Half the time I put God’s position to you, you ignore God and address me.

Of course, I sound confused when you cut up my sentences.
Thats probably because you dont address what is put to you but something slightly different.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
go read your mail

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Edit: I began the post which follows, this morning. I had not read the last two interchanges. My mistake. Apologies. I might have written differently if I had, but, I'll leave this to stand, as I would like to post something about God's word... when I get round to it.

WhiteKnuckle said,

I love the way you've put this. It was Adam's willingness to trust the word of one other than God (unbelief) which laid the ground for sin to be received by him. The link between sin and unbelief comes up again and again in scripture.

dragonfly

aspen
I am sure He does, but he needs no defense.

There is a sense in which God needs no defence, but His instructions - commands, prohibitions - can be understood in terms of His nature - character and substance - and the counsel of His will according to His own good pleasure.

The point brightmorningstar has been making is: we know what God is like because we are made in His image - male and female. God wants increase and multiplication (we learn early in Genesis), and so the abuse of the human form made in God's image, revolts Him; because He gives each newborn its spirit, having created its body in His image to bring glory to Himself and His name, and the introversion of use which happens in homosexual encounters nauseates Him.

aspen said

But, He does give a reason in the Old Testament, as to why Israel should not practise it, and the same applies to us. It applies to all people, and those who practise it will receive the same 'reward' from God, for their activities.

Your point about the kindness it is to let homosexual captives continue in their captivity, is not in line with Jesus' words or mission:
Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD [is] upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to [them that are] bound; 2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; 3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified. 4 And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.

In the next extract, God repeats what He said at the start of the chapter, but more than once. It matters to Him!

Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination. 23 Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it [is] confusion. 24 Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you: 25 And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.

26 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit [any] of these abominations; [neither] any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you: 27 (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which [were] before you, and the land is defiled; ) 28 That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that [were] before you.

29 For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit [them] shall be cut off from among their people. 30Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that [ye] commit not [any one] of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I [am] the LORD your God.

Revelation 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

God makes clear there is another way for people to live, than trapped in the practice of this abomination. Much of what those practitioners believe, is false. What is true is, 'And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient,' to their own destruction.

Sad.

It takes wisdom to know when to walk away after having preached the gospel, hoping they will let God's goodness lead them to repentance. Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things [are] naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
We have to accept there always has been , and always will be , a small part of the world population that is homosexual.

They have never bothered me .... and I am willing to keep my nose out of their affairs.

I think the mistake society is making in modern times is to try convince everybody that it is a normal behavior. That is probably what would anger God the most ,

None of this is coincidence .... many years ago a plan was constructed to "preach the gay agenda to society"

It has been very successful. To understand the origins of the gay agenda .... read the following book .......

"The Marketing of Evil " (by David Kupelian)
(How Radicals, Elitists, and Pseudo-Experts Sell Us Corruption Disguised As Freedom.)

=======================================

But we should also be critical of the preachers who often (out of context) quote the following verses indicating the Homosexual will go to Hell:
But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders, nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

It is my best guess that many of those same preachers would be guilty of some of the other "sins" within those verses (as highlighted below.) . I observe that those preachers conveniently leave out those portions.
But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders, nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
(taken from 1 Corinthians 6 , and Revelation 21)

The remedy (in those verses) is :
... that is what some of you were ...... . But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love the sinner, not the sin. As God tells us so indeed! We are washed indeed by God through Jesus Christ. When we accepted Him and are forgiven by Him!

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I'm really hoping that this thread doesn't turn into another 'homosexuality' thread, where there is 28 pages of people arguing the exact same thing. Say your piece guys, then leave it alone...k?

As far as the topic of this thread...I think the Bible does speak of why Christians are not to be homosexual....because it's sin, and sin is an affront to God. I think what people should be doing in this case, is not so much homing in on the verses that speak of homosexual activity, but focus on God, his attributes, his nature. Really dig into who our God is, and why sin is such an offence to him. I think the more we do that, the more we see it's not just 'the boss' saying 'because I said so'....it's our loving father saying 'I love you too much to loose you to this...that's why I said so'.