Before Jesus, do you believe people went to some bad place in the afterlife?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
did God only send Christ for Christians?
Yes, but exactly what is it that He sent? Is Jesus the Messiah? If, yes, then just exactly what is or was Jesus? Then again what exactly are Christians... according to God rather than according to men?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes, but exactly what is it that He sent? Is Jesus the Messiah? If, yes, then just exactly what is or was Jesus? Then again what exactly are Christians... according to God rather than according to men?
ya, good Q, i mean we got "Christians" here get upset at the mention of "pick up your cross," so i dunno

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um I thought Jesus came for Mankind.
Besides, I didn' think I had to say the obvious....there were no Christians, guys. :D

Reactions: bbyrd009

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
did God only send Christ for Christians?
i am curious are you a new christian or an unbeliever? i ask because of the questions you ask. although i like people like you as long as you are asking out of curiosity and not trying to start an argument.

Christ did not come just for christians but for relationship. Jesus wants relationship with each and every person of the world. the question is whether or not we want relationship with Christ. Christ won't force us to associate with Himself. consider Christ as a cookie monster and everyone else a cookie. the cookie monster will eat all the cookies he can find just as Christ will chase after everyone He sees. the only exception is Christ won't make you do something you do not want to do.

God bless

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
i am curious are you a new christian or an unbeliever?
no, sorry
i ask because of the questions you ask. although i like people like you as long as you are asking out of curiosity and not trying to start an argument.
ah, well, i like the Good Samaritan's relationship with Christ, even if he would not sit still for the religious understanding that a Christian holds, wadr.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i am curious are you a new christian or an unbeliever? i ask because of the questions you ask. although i like people like you as long as you are asking out of curiosity and not trying to start an argument.
@bbyrd009 does not come from, presently, [as I understand him], I believe, an organized group of men with many conclusions already drawn prior to the beginning of any discussion. While he may admit as I must also admit to still holding to some of those conclusions as well. Right or wrong, would anyone throw us out because we so not meet their established criteria? In many Christian churches/organizations, they often would. It is hard to find anyplace outside of the Internet where such an open discussion could take place.

Christ did not come just for christians but for relationship.
Did he? What of him coming to bring Life? [John 10:10] Without Life what kind of a relationship is possible?
Jesus wants relationship with each and every person of the world. the question is whether or not we want relationship with Christ.
Assuming your are correct, what scriptural verses would you use to support that such a relationship is wanted?

Christ won't force us to associate with Himself. consider Christ as a cookie monster and everyone else a cookie. the cookie monster will eat all the cookies he can find just as Christ will chase after everyone He sees. the only exception is Christ won't make you do something you do not want to do.
God bless
He also probably won't eat us although He does want us to eat His flesh and to drink His blood. [John 6:53]

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@bbyrd009 1. does not come from, presently, [as I understand him], I believe, an organized group of men with many conclusions already drawn prior to the beginning of any discussion. While he may admit as I must also admit to still holding to some of those conclusions as well. Right or wrong, would anyone throw us out because we so not meet their established criteria? In many Christian churches/organizations, they often would. It is hard to find anyplace outside of the Internet where such an open discussion could take place.

2. Did he? What of him coming to bring Life? [John 10:10] Without Life what kind of a relationship is possible?

3. Assuming your are correct, what scriptural verses would you use to support that such a relationship is wanted?

4. He also probably won't eat us although He does want us to eat His flesh and to drink His blood. [John 6:53]
i put numbers by your questions so you know which i am replying too.

1. i understand what you re talking about. i had this same problem before i found the church i am at currently. i found out the best way for me was to find a church that teaches the Word and not just preaches the Word. it sounds similar but the difference is on how a pastor will preach about how you should have faith for healing. only they don't teach you what is necessary in order for you to know what faith is and how it applies.

2. & 3. good question. this is my view and remember that the bible does not state my view is the number 1 reason but i will post scripture to support why i think it is. For God so [greatly] loved and dearly prized the world, that He [even] gave His[One and] only begotten Son, so that whoever believes and trusts in Him [as Savior] shall not perish, but have eternal life john 3:16. i believe this scripture is misapplied and misunderstood. traditionally john 3:16 has been used teach that Jesus came and died for our sins so we would not perish. even though this is true, the true purpose of this verse is referring to us getting eternal life which sin is keeping us from getting. the night before Jesus' death Jesus was praying and He said "this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God" john 17:3. this is saying that life eternal is knowing the Father, the only true God, and knowing Jesus whom He sent. this is everlasting life. Jesus came to bring you back into close and personal relationship with Him just as adam and eve had before the fall. there are more scriptures if you would like me to post them but i don't want to make a long post if necessary.

4. is there anything to discuss here?

God bless

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i put numbers by your questions so you know which i am replying too.

1. i understand what you re talking about. i had this same problem before i found the church i am at currently. i found out the best way for me was to find a church that teaches the Word and not just preaches the Word. it sounds similar but the difference is on how a pastor will preach about how you should have faith for healing. only they don't teach you what is necessary in order for you to know what faith is and how it applies.
Strange isn't it how God works? I started as a Catholic and had never read the Bible when I was drawn into the UPC. Of course they soaked me in their own pet doctrines [who does not?], but they also taught me beginning at age 32 to read the Bible. Except for one serious period of backsliding I have never stopped. After 11 years with that group I came to the ones with which I am associated now. Then I really began to learn, a period of learning that continued from 1987 up to the current date. I am still growing. Unfortunately the best available teacher is 92 and his mind and body are slowly but surely failing him. The good thing is I still have my Bible and the Holy Ghost. There really are some essentials, but what I might consider essential would likely disagree with the essential held by most others.

2. & 3. good question. this is my view and remember that the bible does not state my view is the number 1 reason but i will post scripture to support why i think it is. For God so [greatly] loved and dearly prized the world, that He [even] gave His[One and] only begotten Son, so that whoever believes and trusts in Him [as Savior] shall not perish, but have eternal life john 3:16. i believe this scripture is misapplied and misunderstood. traditionally john 3:16 has been used teach that Jesus came and died for our sins so we would not perish. even though this is true, the true purpose of this verse is referring to us getting eternal life which sin is keeping us from getting. the night before Jesus' death Jesus was praying and He said "this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God" john 17:3. this is saying that life eternal is knowing the Father, the only true God, and knowing Jesus whom He sent. this is everlasting life. Jesus came to bring you back into close and personal relationship with Him just as adam and eve had before the fall. there are more scriptures if you would like me to post them but i don't want to make a long post if necessary.
No, and I do not disagree with what you have said. I was wanting to see what you would say. I would add these verses which express the relationship he has with people and why:

"But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." Matt 12:48-50

4. is there anything to discuss here?
Perhaps? Just read the following verses and consider how they might relate to eating the Book:

"Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed." John 6:53-55

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." John 1:14

"But thou, son of man, hear what I say unto thee; Be not thou rebellious like that rebellious house: open thy mouth, and eat that I give thee.
And when I looked, behold, an hand was sent unto me; and, lo, a roll of a book was therein;" Ezek 2:8-9

God bless
And may God richly bless you as you walk with Him!

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
**********NAH !*** The're all in purgatory/forced 2 read Christian Science."band-aids are of the devil"propaganda /living next 2 Mormon wife-brothels and having only Jehovah Witless speeches on the radio !!!& hoping 4 the judgement,{assuming they repent} so's they can get out !!!(answer 4 Audrey;also)************<m>*******o_O
Purgatory ? What's your basis for that idea Marty ?