Being filled vs being baptized with the Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes if I am in error I want to be shown but I want it to be by scripture not just a differing view we must be open and that is hard to do but I really do try and hope others will too. I am not above learning I have learnt new things several times but I have to follow scripture and if it does not seem to line up then I have to study to see why.
I may come across bullheaded but I still am trying to get to the truth and that is all I ask of others.
I'll be happy to have this discussion with you. I'll insist on good manners, you know how things go around here. If it gets personal, I'm out. But otherwise,

Do you think that we are baptized in the Holy Spirit at some time after we've been reborn? Do you believe we can be baptized in the Holy Spirit more than once? Do you believe, as do I, that being baptized in the Holy Spirit is what makes us reborn?

Much love!

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you talking about baptismal regeneration? The water baptism is God's vehicle to bring us rebirth?

Much love!
See here is an example of closed minded thinking. If I preceded to try to show you that Acts 2:38 Romans 6:3 Acts 10:47,48 Acts 19:1-5 Acts 8 are all talking about the baptism in Christ the baptism that John said Jesus was going to baptize with you are already shutting down and using labels to shut down the study. I realize you were taught and believe that the baptism in Jesus name has no value it is just an empty ritual or something we have to do because Jesus commands it but for not real purpose other that to show an outward expression but I feel if you would not shut down and let the scriptures talk and really try to understand just why Jesus said to be baptized in his name you could understand why Jesus commands baptism in the name of Jesus Christ.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll be happy to have this discussion with you. I'll insist on good manners, you know how things go around here. If it gets personal, I'm out. But otherwise,

Do you think that we are baptized in the Holy Spirit at some time after we've been reborn? Do you believe we can be baptized in the Holy Spirit more than once? Do you believe, as do I, that being baptized in the Holy Spirit is what makes us reborn?

Much love!
The first thing we need to figure out is what does John mean by he will baptize you with the holy ghost. I feel that most of us misunderstands this and this makes a lot of difference but this will take a while to get through if you are really open to hear me out. I promise you it will differ from your view but I am sure scripture will help us figure this out if we follow the scripture. I will show my scripture support and please you show yours and we will let the scriptures back the scriptures to find the answer

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See here is an example of closed minded thinking. If I preceded to try to show you that Acts 2:38 Romans 6:3 Acts 10:47,48 Acts 19:1-5 Acts 8 are all talking about the baptism in Christ the baptism that John said Jesus was going to baptize with you are already shutting down and using labels to shut down the study.
I'm just trying to get the lay of the land.

You want to make out that I'm all close minded and just trying to shut it down. OK. I told you minutes ago if you make it personal I'm out. Do you want another chance?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I realize you were taught and believe that
Really? How would you "realize" such a thing as my educational background, and why I've come to think the things I do?

This is dismissive. I'm not interested in that sort of conversation.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 4:1-7 KJV
1) I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2) With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3) Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4) There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6) One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
7) But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

What is this "one baptism"?

Romans 6:3-6 KJV
3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Something to take note of, "baptized" is not a translation, it is a transliteration, a rewriting of the Greek word in our alphabet. Following would be a translation including of that word,

3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were immersed into Jesus Christ were immersed into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by immersion into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve si

One baptism. We are baptized, that is, immersed into Jesus Christ, which is to be immersed into His death. Being baptized into Jesus, into His death, we now are to walk in newness of life.

Much love!

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

We must start here. God created John for this reason to go before Jesus to get the Jews ready to accept his plan of salvation. He sent John out preaching repent and be baptized for the remission of your sin. This is the beginning of the Gospel of Christ. It is the start but it is not the completed work for it points to the cross.It is the transition from the old law to the new it is pointing to the kingdom which is to come.

Mark 1:7 And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.
8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

John told the crowd that His baptism was just in water only that it lacked the giving of the spirit that he could not do but in due time time Jesus would baptize with the spirit (give the indwelling)

I can find many more scriptures to show that baptized with the holy ghost is talking about Jesus giving us the indwelling spirit the comforter but you should already know them but if not start with the Gospel of John for he deals with the spirit to be given and even tells that this can not happen until Jesus goes to the cross.

Now Acts opens with
Acts 1: 4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Notice that there is two things here The first in verse 5 is talking about the indwelling that all mankind is promised if they submit to Gods teaching while the later verse 8 is talking about the power of confirming the word that is not for all but only for the apostles in this context.

Now we get to Acts 2 where God pours out the spirit on the Jews as foretold by Joel and Peter starts preaching the now completed gospel for Christ has now been to the cross and Peter with the power of the spirit upon him is preaching the gospel and the crowd hears his word and believe his report and is convicted in their heart and ask Peter what they must do and he answered Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins and you shall receive the gift of the Holy ghost.

We read further in that chapter that God added those that responded to Peters message those that were being saved to the church.

Now lets break this down.

The baptism of the Holy ghost with the signs that most religious groups teach was only given to the Apostles here in Acts 2 the crowd did not get this but the crowd did get the indwelling spirit that is promised to all through the baptism in the name of Christ for it is the baptism that John said Jesus was to baptize with. It is the water and spirit as and born again baptism was to follow John the baptist because if is a water baptism for the remission of sin but it DOES give the spirit that Johns could not do.

There are many other scriptures to support this if you don't see it that I can help with. I know that you disagree with me but lets carefully study to see what the scripture say

There is a difference of spirit upon and spirit within one is only for a few for a time to accomplish things and the other is for all to see us through to eternal life.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? How would you "realize" such a thing as my educational background, and why I've come to think the things I do?

This is dismissive. I'm not interested in that sort of conversation.

Much love!
Yes that was not popper but I felt your remark "baptismal regeneration" was derogatory but let it slide but I am sorry about my undue remark and ask forgivness and have it removed from your mind and try again.

Reactions: marks

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1) I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2) With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
4) There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
6) One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
7) But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Something to take note of, "baptized" is not a translation, it is a transliteration, a rewriting of the Greek word in our alphabet. Following would be a translation including of that word,

3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were immersed into Jesus Christ were immersed into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by immersion into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve si

One baptism. We are baptized, that is, immersed into Jesus Christ, which is to be immersed into His death. Being baptized into Jesus, into His death, we now are to walk in newness of life.

Much love!
Ok good start let me have time to go over this with scripture and I will get back to you with a popper response.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just trying to get the lay of the land.

You want to make out that I'm all close minded and just trying to shut it down. OK. I told you minutes ago if you make it personal I'm out. Do you want another chance?

Much love!
Yes I am sorry I guess I am just miss reading you but it seemed to me you were pushing the personal button a little also so sorry I misjudged the room but I am on a site that disagrees with me and does not seem to want to hear me out I do not try to be personal and really want to hear you out I am sorry

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
This I totally agree with you on the question now is if this is talking about the baptism in Christ name per Acts 2:38
I feel strongly that if we follow the teaching on baptism we will see that it is the case.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This I totally agree with you on the question now is if this is talking about the baptism in Christ name per Acts 2:38
I feel strongly that if we follow the teaching on baptism we will see that it is the case.
In Acts 2:38, A newly Holy Spirit filled Peter refers back to Johns Baptism( that is all he knew), but Peter was not correct.. As Peter himself later found out at Cornelius's house (Acts 10:44-48) that the Holy Spirit( baptized and filled) comes first, then with water baptism, but not for the remission of sins. Your sins are forgiven at salvation and sealed with the Holey Spirit of promise.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Acts 2:38, A newly Holy Spirit filled Peter refers back to Johns Baptism( that is all he knew), but Peter was not correct.. As Peter himself later found out at Cornelius's house (Acts 10:44-48) that the Holy Spirit( baptized and filled) comes first, then with water baptism, but not for the remission of sins. Your sins are forgiven at salvation and sealed with the Holey Spirit of promise.
With all due respect Rockerduck I one us have missed the understanding of this by not following closely the teaching of the word but one of us have gotten stuck in our own interpretation if you would like I could give you my understanding for you to consider.

I will give hints to where I will go.
There is two works of the spirit in this early part of the kingdom one of the jobs of the spirit is the spirit upon for a time to show signs to confirm what is being taught is from God and the other is the indwelling spirit being given to produce good works in Gods children.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to understand that John's baptism is not complete it does not carry the fullness of the gospel it points to what is to be fulfilled in Christ at the cross. John's baptism could not give the spirit because Jesus had not yet gone to the cross . John's baptism was the beginning and waiting for the fullness of the cross so it could be the complete water and spirit that Jesus was to baptize with but John's lacked the giving of the spirit of which Jesus is now baptizing with now that he has completed the cross.

Both John and the baptism Jesus was to baptize with was in water for the remission of sin the difference is that John.s could not give the spirit but the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ that John said Jesus would baptize with does give the spirit for he has completed his mission of the cross.

I think if you follow the leading of scripture it spells that out in the gospels of Matthew Mark Luke and John they all were pointing toward Acts where the work of the cross was completed.

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to understand that John's baptism is not complete it does not carry the fullness of the gospel it points to what is to be fulfilled in Christ at the cross. John's baptism could not give the spirit because Jesus had not yet gone to the cross . John's baptism was the beginning and waiting for the fullness of the cross so it could be the complete water and spirit that Jesus was to baptize with but John's lacked the giving of the spirit of which Jesus is now baptizing with now that he has completed the cross.

Both John and the baptism Jesus was to baptize with was in water for the remission of sin the difference is that John.s could not give the spirit but the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ that John said Jesus would baptize with does give the spirit for he has completed his mission of the cross.

I think if you follow the leading of scripture it spells that out in the gospels of Matthew Mark Luke and John they all were pointing toward Acts where the work of the cross was completed.
Did you read what I wrote? All Peter knew was John's baptism, so the first thing out of his mouth was John Baptism. This was not correct.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know the origin of baptism among the Jews?

Much love!
Does not Matthew Mark Luke and John not teach that this is something new from above it is the start of the gospel of John it is a new teaching that the Jews are rejecting?

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read what I wrote? All Peter knew was John's baptism, so the first thing out of his mouth was John Baptism. This was not correct.
Yes I did but I feel you misunderstand .
Please answer me this .

What is the difference in the baptism of John the baptist Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

And the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Also do you agree that the spirit came upon the Apostles and is giving them the words which they are to speak if so then would Peter not know the difference between Johns baptism from that which Jesus was to baptize with in his own name?

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I did but I feel you misunderstand .
Please answer me this .

What is the difference in the baptism of John the baptist Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

And the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Also do you agree that the spirit came upon the Apostles and is giving them the words which they are to speak if so then would Peter not know the difference between Johns baptism from that which Jesus was to baptize with in his own name?
When the Holy Spirit came upon the 120 people( Act 1:15) in the upper room, it is the same Holy Spirit we receive now. When Born Again from above, we are still in our carnal mind and body, but babies in Christ and we have to learn, called Sanctification., so Peter spoke from his own experience. A mature Christian yields to the Holy Spirit and receives guidance from the Holy Spirit that indwells him.. Only an OT prophet was given the words of God to speak.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 1:7 And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.
8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.
This shows 2 different baptisms, is that correct?

Much love!