Being filled vs being baptized with the Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read that this is actually talking about the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38) which is a spiritual baptism for in it God is working a spiritual transformation of making us dead from sin to alive in Christ. I feel that the scriptures support this view if you allow them and follow the teaching.

I realized that this is very controversial and we must all really open our hearts and follow the bible on this but we can study this with a humble spirit of seeking the truth.
The baptism in the name of Jesus Christ of Acts 2:38 is water baptism. Read the rest of the verse. Then you receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Both Peter and Paul taught the gospel of Christ which is the death burial and resurrection both the Jews and the gentiles got the same gospel????? Am I not right??

You're going off topic. Would you like to copy and paste this into a new post?

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In John 20 Jesus blew the Holy Spirit into the mouths of His disciples, but Jesus then told them to wait in Jerusalem for the baptism of the Holy Spirit for power and boldness.

The 120 disciples received the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost, but received their second filling in Acts 4:29-31 where it is called they were filled with the Holy Spirit.

The first time we receive the Holy Spirit is when we are born again of the Spirit and are freed from sin. We also receive the signs of Mark 16:16-18.
I guess you could say I received a double wammy on 2/9/77 because I received both fillings at once.

As far as the apostles it was the second filling for them that Jesus called the "baptism" but Acts 4:33 calls the 120 second filling just filled. But it was for boldness and signs and wonders. Pentecostals would call this one the baptism.
So what is the difference between being filled and being baptized with the Spirit?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My thoughts and I have no ready scriptures to support but thought everyone shared (can dig up scripture if needed) is that Gods plan from start to finish meaning the new testament church his kingdom to come was to bring all mankind unto himself (both Jew and gentile) and Jesus was sent to complete the plan.
For example, we don't offer sacrifices any longer. We don't tithe to the Levites. These were part of the previous time, correct? Not part of today's worship of God?

This is why I suggest when studying baptism in the Bible to take special note of what is said exactly, and by whom, to whom. This is why we are not all building arks, we know that God told Moses to build the ark, not us, which is good, because I don't have that much gold, no where near that much! Only my wedding ring, and a single Krugerand. But seriously, we see instructions which were meant for others and not for us. So then is it possible that this is one of those? This is why I suggest that particular study.

I feel that the bible is clear we all enter the kingdom the very same way as the 300 that God added to the church on the day of Pentecost. I really cannot see any other way taught to enter into God's kingdom so sorry but that's the way I see it . I am looking at all you have to say but still ..........?
We do, by faith in Christ, certainly!

Do you see in Scripture this time after Jesus' resurrection that He may have returned had Israel received Him? And do you also see in Scripture that this time ended?

Acts 3:19-21 LITV
19) Therefore, repent, and convert, for the blotting out of your sins, so that times of refreshing may come from the face of the Lord,
20) and that He may send forth the One before proclaimed to you, Jesus Christ,
21) whom Heaven truly needs to receive until the times of restoration of all things, of which God spoke through the mouth of all His holy prophets from the age past.

Is it possible, in your understanding, that Jesus could have returned in those days?

Acts 28:23-29 KJV
23) And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.
24) And some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not.
25) And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,
26) Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:
27) For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
28) Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

29) And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves.

Abraham and I trust the same God. Only, what He told Abraham was that he'd have innumerable children, but what He told me was that Jesus is my Risen Master.

Is that two different Gospels? I don't see it that we. God has shown that He justifies us as we believe what He tells us. Though what He has told us has been different at different times. None the less, it is always His grace, when we believe.

And we are all His people, whom He has saved in His grace.

Let me ask you this. I believe Jesus will return from heaven to earth, to establish a kingdom on this earth, which He will rule from His throne in Jerusalem. Do you see the same?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scratch this reply got lost in the threads I was dealing with let me try again.
I cannot seem to see what you are pointing out that might say something other than I have already said. You will have to help me see your point so we can discuss our differences. The Passage you posted is leading up to chapter six as to where he explains just how Jesus' single act of righteousness - death on the cross - we are made righteous.
Does not he continue his thought in the next chapter and tell us it was through the baptism into Christ (in the name of Jesus Christ) that God transformed us from dead in sin (Adam) to alive in Christ (the cross)? the context starts in Romans 5:1 and carries through chapter six does it not?
I think then at issue is whether the baptism of Romans 6 is water, Spirit, or water/Spirit, then, right? That's the question?

I think - correct me if you think I'm mistaken - that this comes down to, I put particular weight in the teaching passages in the letters, and you put particular weight in both instructions given in the Gospels and Acts, and the association of water baptism with conversion.

Is that fair to say?

Much love!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joh_1:33 And I knew Him not: but He that sent me to baptize with water, The Same said unto me, Upon Whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, The Same is He Which baptizeth With the Holy Ghost.

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That Differ!” (online):

1Co_12:13 For By One Spirit are we all baptized into One body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into One Spirit.

Do we know God's Purposes For These Two Different Baptisms, And 'Which' ONE (Eph 4:5) Is
For
Today?
Both are for today.
My guess is that Baptism with the Holy Spirit is a one-time event when the Paraclete takes up residence in the believer while filling with the Spirit is not a once-in-your-life event.
So what is the difference between being filled and being baptized with the Spirit?

Precious friend, I believe the misunderstanding is because of Three Different things - clarification:

The Filling with The Holy Spirit is for both of the following For Different Purposes:

1) The Baptism With The Holy Spirit Is Administered By Christ!
This was under the Previous Dispensation of Prophecy/Covenants/Law for Israel, with the
gospel of the kingdom [ with "water baptism For The Remission of sin!" * ], given to the
twelve for their twelve tribes (Matthew - John)

This Includes 'the filling' which Was A Prophetic Promise, for power, signs, and wonders!
(Isaiah_44:3; Matthew_3:11; Mark_1:8, 16:17-18; Luke_24:49; Acts_2:17-18, 38, 8:15-17, 11:16):

"But This Is That which was spoken by the prophet Joel" (Acts 2:16):​

"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I Will Pour Out My Spirit Upon​
all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men​
shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions" (Joel 2:28)​
"Poured Out By Christ" Correct?

Should we believe "That Promise is still 'in effect' For The Gentiles" Today, Under Grace,
thus mathematically making Two or Three baptisms ( confusion? ), for us?, or:

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That Differ” (online)​

Under the Current Dispensation of The Gospel Of The Grace Of God [ with "all works" Forbidden
For salvation! ], Given To One Apostle, for the One Body Of Christ, in The Mystery / Grace!
(Romans - Philemon), we have:

2) The One Baptism [ Is Administered ] By The Holy Spirit, Identifying / Immersing / Placing
the new believer Into The One Body Of Christ, the "One new man (Ephesians 2:15), which​
began [ Not at Pentecost, but ] with Paul, in Acts 9."​
And then, the "Filling Of The Spirit, by 'faith'" - Not an automatic Promise?:

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit"​
(Ephesians 5:18), when we obey the following, Correct?​

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the Mercies of God, that ye present your bodies​
a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be​
not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind,​
that ye may prove what is that Good, and Acceptable, and Perfect, Will of God."​
(Romans 12:1-2)​
Where we are told: "we walk by faith, not by sight ( 'sign' gifts for Israel )" (2 Corinthians 5:7)

Amen.

* Also Summarized in Three Different Baptisms...

Biblical 'Representations' of Twelve and ONE may also be of Further interest?...

Reactions: marks

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read what I wrote? All Peter knew was John's baptism, so the first thing out of his mouth was John Baptism. This was not correct.
You are forgetting one thing, The spirit came upon Peter and gave him his words and thoughts. Peter did know mall about the n baptism in the name of Jesus Christ being the new fulfilled baptism that Jesus was to baptize with because the spirit is giving Peter the words from the Father to speak.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For example, we don't offer sacrifices any longer. We don't tithe to the Levites. These were part of the previous time, correct? Not part of today's worship of God?

This is why I suggest when studying baptism in the Bible to take special note of what is said exactly, and by whom, to whom. This is why we are not all building arks, we know that God told Moses to build the ark, not us, which is good, because I don't have that much gold, no where near that much! Only my wedding ring, and a single Krugerand. But seriously, we see instructions which were meant for others and not for us. So then is it possible that this is one of those? This is why I suggest that particular study.

Do you see in Scripture this time after Jesus' resurrection that He may have returned had Israel received Him? And do you also see in Scripture that this time ended?

19) Therefore, repent, and convert, for the blotting out of your sins, so that times of refreshing may come from the face of the Lord,
21) whom Heaven truly needs to receive until the times of restoration of all things, of which God spoke through the mouth of all His holy prophets from the age past.

Is it possible, in your understanding, that Jesus could have returned in those days?

23) And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.
25) And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,
26) Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:
27) For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
28) Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

29) And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves.

Abraham and I trust the same God. Only, what He told Abraham was that he'd have innumerable children, but what He told me was that Jesus is my Risen Master.

Is that two different Gospels? I don't see it that we. God has shown that He justifies us as we believe what He tells us. Though what He has told us has been different at different times. None the less, it is always His grace, when we believe.

Let me ask you this. I believe Jesus will return from heaven to earth, to establish a kingdom on this earth, which He will rule from His throne in Jerusalem. Do you see the same?

Much love!
Sorry I have been asked not to pursue this line of discussion on this thread but to take it to a new thread so I will start a conversation with you on this.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

This is going off topic and will get me in trouble again but No I think that is what the Jews thought, and was proven wrong. I feel that in John 3 Nicodemus was told that the kingdom to come was going to be a spiritual one not earthly. I feel many passages teach that (don't have them readily available but can find) and that the kingdom that was at hand has now come in the spiritual kingdom that Christ is now ruling over on his throne by his fathers side.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think then at issue is whether the baptism of Romans 6 is water, Spirit, or water/Spirit, then, right? That's the question?

I think - correct me if you think I'm mistaken - that this comes down to, I put particular weight in the teaching passages in the letters, and you put particular weight in both instructions given in the Gospels and Acts, and the association of water baptism with conversion.

Is that fair to say?

Much love!
Not really it may seem like I put it in the gospels and Acts and not the letters but that is because in my view many have missed the connections to that and try to define the baptism the letters talk about as different

In my view the gospels and Acts comes first it is where the Christians in the letters got their start the baptism that they were baptized with is that of Acts 2:38 and from there most mentions of baptism is pointing back to that one and that is what I spend countless time to try to get people to see. I feel if you follow the story that you can see that is what the bible is trying to get us all to see..

I agree with all the messages in the letters but they are addressing those that have been baptized into Christ. They are not telling them how to be saved but are addressing the saved.