Being filled vs being baptized with the Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some examples of being filled with the Spirit:

Luke 1:41 Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Luke 1:67 Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Luke 1:15 John was filled with the Holy Spirit even before he was born.
Luke 4:1 Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Acts 4:8 Peter was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Acts 4:31 A group of believers were all filled with the Holy Spirit.

On the other hand, baptism with the Holy Spirit was not that commonly described in the NT. It was first prophesied by John in Matthew 3:

11 “I baptize [G907] you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize [G907] you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
The imagery is that the persons being baptized are fully immersed not in water but in the Holy Spirit as a spiritual reality.

The act was described only twice. The first occasion was announced by Jesus in Acts 1:5 before he is taken up. Jesus echoed John the Baptizer in Acts 1:

5 "For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized [G907] with the Holy Spirit.”
It happened in the next chapter at the Pentecost in Acts 2:

4 All of them were filled [G4130] with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.
When it was announced, the word G907-baptise was used. But when it actually happened, the word G4130-fill was used. Baptism with the Spirit requires the filling with the Spirit.

The second occasion occurred when Peter was at Cornelius’ House. Acts 10:

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell [G1968] on all who heard the message.
Here the verb is fell and not filled. I don't think it is profitable to make a Federal case of the distinction between fell and filled here. Later Peter echoed John the Baptizer and recounted the act as being G907-baptized in the Holy Spirit in Acts 11:

16 I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized [G907] with the Holy Spirit.’
Luke uses the term filled in Acts 2:4 to show that baptism with the Spirit requires filling but not vice versa. Similarly, Peter uses the term baptized in Acts 11:16 to ensure the readers that what happened at Cornelius’ House is a baptism with the Holy Spirit and not just filling (or falling).

Not every filling with the Holy Spirit is a baptism with the Spirit. Baptism with the Spirit is special as Luke and Peter wanted to make it clear. The latter may indicate being born of the Spirit.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6:3-5 KJV
3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

I see this is baptism in the Spirit.

Much love!

Reactions: TonyChanYT

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
11 “I baptize [G907] you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize [G907] you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Fire! It seems fire is associated with God's presence. Could it be the fire of love which consumes all else.......as in the crucifixion, it consumed the hate, it nullified its power so that death could not hold him.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have to run right now but plan to return to read through this dialog and respond accordingly later when time permits just marking for further responses

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before I start with my understanding is there anyone wanting to study this or just post what you understand and have me take it or leave it.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Before I start with my understanding is there anyone wanting to study this or just post what you understand and have me take it or leave it.
If you consider yourself a teacher, you've lost me, they are a dime a dozen here.
If on the other hand you are open to honest objective conversation about the wonder of our God, you have my ear.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you consider yourself a teacher, you've lost me, they are a dime a dozen here.
If on the other hand you are open to honest objective conversation about the wonder of our God, you have my ear.
If you are going to open with such a remark as that I don't care to discuss with you for I can tell you are closed minded by your remark.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm interested in what you may share on this. I have a fairly settled view myself, but I'm open to discussion.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Fire! It seems fire is associated with God's presence. Could it be the fire of love which consumes all else.......as in the crucifixion, it consumed the hate, it nullified its power so that death could not hold him.
De 4:24For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God

Heb 12:29For our God is a consuming fire.

Reactions: Azim and TonyChanYT

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm interested in what you may share on this. I have a fairly settled view myself, but I'm open to discussion.

Much love!
I am sure we all have a view and we may share the same which would be great because that is what God wants unity in his children. we should all be able to understand his word the same but unfortunately man has distorted that so now we must all carefully study the word to make our view align with scripture.
I admit that some scriptures can seem to contradict others and when we run into that we must search the scriptures for clarity for the scriptures will support each other if we allow them and follow the flow. Context is everything and so is gathering all scriptures on a subject before settling with only the ones that support our view.

The main thing is study with others with an open mind and politely show why each deference in views and search the scriptures to settle the difference let the bible speak for it is Gods living word of truth and life.

Reactions: marks

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
being filled with the spirit is the Spirit coming into you and filling you

being baptized by the hs is being baptized into Christ at the moment of salvation
Just a thought I haven't gathered the scriptures yet but do you think that being filled with the spirit could possibly be talking about the spirit came upon to achieve a special task and is different from the spirit within (the indwelling) in which he works in other ways?

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6:3-5 KJV
3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

I see this is baptism in the Spirit.

Much love!
I read that this is actually talking about the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38) which is a spiritual baptism for in it God is working a spiritual transformation of making us dead from sin to alive in Christ. I feel that the scriptures support this view if you allow them and follow the teaching.

I realized that this is very controversial and we must all really open our hearts and follow the bible on this but we can study this with a humble spirit of seeking the truth.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sure we all have a view and we may share the same which would be great because that is what God wants unity in his children. we should all be able to understand his word the same but unfortunately man has distorted that so now we must all carefully study the word to make our view align with scripture.
I admit that some scriptures can seem to contradict others and when we run into that we must search the scriptures for clarity for the scriptures will support each other if we allow them and follow the flow. Context is everything and so is gathering all scriptures on a subject before settling with only the ones that support our view.

The main thing is study with others with an open mind and politely show why each deference in views and search the scriptures to settle the difference let the bible speak for it is Gods living word of truth and life.
I hope you mean all of that.

I believe God is clear in what He says, and yes, on the surface, some passages may seen in conflict, but we just need to adjust our interpretation to bring harmony, though never going against the plain saying of a passage, once we've determined what that is.

If we have a correct view, all Scriptures will support it. If we are in conflict with Scriptures, then we need to keep at it.

Much love!

Reactions: Godslittleservant

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some examples of being filled with the Spirit:

Luke 1:41 Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Luke 1:67 Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Luke 1:15 John was filled with the Holy Spirit even before he was born.
Luke 4:1 Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Acts 4:8 Peter was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Acts 4:31 A group of believers were all filled with the Holy Spirit.

On the other hand, baptism of the Holy Spirit was not that commonly described in the NT. It was first prophesied by John in Matthew 3:

The imagery is that the persons being baptized are fully immersed not in water but in the Holy Spirit as a spiritual reality.

The act was described only twice. The first occasion was announced by Jesus in Acts 1:5 before he is taken up. Jesus echoed John the Baptizer in Acts 1:

It happened in the next chapter at the Pentecost in Acts 2:

When it is announced, the word G907-baptise was used. But when it actually happened, the word G4130-fill is used. Baptism of the Spirit requires the filling of the Spirit.

The second occasion occurred when Peter was at Cornelius’ House. Acts 10:

Here the verb is fell and not filled. I don't think it is profitable to make a Federal case of the distinction between fell and filled here. Later Peter echoed John the Baptizer and recounted the act as being G907-baptized in the Holy Spirit in Acts 11:

Luke uses the term filled in Acts 2:4 to show that baptism of the Spirit requires filling but not vice versa. Similarly, Peter uses the term baptized in Acts 11:16 to ensure the readers that what happened at Cornelius’ House is a baptism of the Holy Spirit and not just filling (or falling).

Not every filling of the Holy Spirit is a baptism of the Spirit. Baptism of the Spirit is special as Luke and Peter wanted to make it clear. The latter may indicate being born of the Spirit.
This needs careful study to determine the difference of the spirit upon or the spirit within hopefully we can humbly do this.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read that this is actually talking about the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38) which is a spiritual baptism for in it God is working a spiritual transformation of making us dead from sin to alive in Christ. I feel that the scriptures support this view if you allow them and follow the teaching.

I realized that this is very controversial and we must all really open our hearts and follow the bible on this but we can study this with a humble spirit of seeking the truth.
Are you talking about baptismal regeneration? The water baptism is God's vehicle to bring us rebirth?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This needs careful study to determine the difference of the spirit upon or the spirit within hopefully we can humbly do this.
Here again, I hope you mean this for yourself, and that you aren't just saying this for others.

Much love!

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just a thought here. Could the baptize you with the Holy Spirit simply mean give you the indwelling spirit (eternal life) and by fire (hell in the final judgement)

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here again, I hope you mean this for yourself, and that you aren't just saying this for others.

Much love!
Yes if I am in error I want to be shown but I want it to be by scripture not just a differing view we must be open and that is hard to do but I really do try and hope others will too. I am not above learning I have learnt new things several times but I have to follow scripture and if it does not seem to line up then I have to study to see why.
I may come across bullheaded but I still am trying to get to the truth and that is all I ask of others.