Best conservative Bible community online to discuss commentary?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BibleStu

Jul 8, 2021
Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello!

I am not a trained Bible scholar, but I have started writing a Bible commentary of my own. I'm looking for a community online that would be open to me posting installments of this commentary, in order to get well-informed, sensible, sympathetic, but also incisive feedback. I say "conservative" because I am not at all interested in (frankly I'm positively bored) what is called "Bible criticism," but I am strongly interested in clarifying unclear texts and solving difficult problems, coming to grips with them in a way that is respectful to the text. I'm not assuming this is that place, but maybe it is. Any pointers to a forum well suited for this sort of thing?

In case it matters to someone, the commentary is in Q&A format, and here are some samples:

God, being the source of all, is surely not in need of rest; being limitless, it seems he could do anything without effort. Why, then, does the text say in Gen. 2:2 that he “rested”?

Indeed, it is very probably not because he needed a rest. Probably, the traditional explanation is correct: he was demonstrating to mankind what man should do: observe the sabbath, the weekly day off. The following sentence underscores this. The text anthropomorphizes God in this way, in a few different places, e.g., when it says “repents” and is “grieved” that he made man, on Gen. 6:6. There are also physical anthropomorphisms; perhaps indeed God has no literal “face,” despite being said to have one (e.g., Lev. 20:6).

The details of the offerings at Gen. 4:3-4, and other details from the chapter, greatly resemble what is required under the Mosaic law. What are we to make of this?

Without giving a long list, it is worth observing that sacrifices were meant to be offered with faith and contrition; that “the fat” of the sacrifice was offered; that “first fruits” were offered; that Israelites were required by law to care for their brothers; that murder was severely punished; that blood revenge was prevented through the practices of sanctuary cities; etc. All these details seem to point up the fact that God used earlier events in Genesis as a kind of template on which the Mosaic law was based. It certainly seems as if the details would be viewed that way by students of the Mosaic law glancing back at Genesis. It is also possible that the author of Genesis, also having authored Deuteronomy, would expect the business about the city Cain escaped to (at Gen. 4:17) to be read alongside the “sanctuary city” rules of Deut. 19. Indeed, even the very word, or קוּם or qum, translated “rose up,” can also be found at Deut. 19:11: “But if any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die… .” One must, of course, bear in mind that the author of Genesis was aware of God’s law, even it had not be handed down yet in the narrative. This does not, of course, mean that the antediluvian patriarchs were aware of or lived under the law—certainly not in detail.

How did God accomplish the scattering abroad from Babel (Gen 11:8-9)?

At least part of the answer is that God confused the language of the inhabitants of Babel. But that just raises the question how he did that, too. How he accomplished these ends, we are not specifically told and there is no way to know for sure. But we should bear in mind that God often accomplishes things through unwitting human agents. It seems to me that, if this was the first city and tower of the post-Flood world, and if they told themselves they would make a name for themselves and reach to heaven, they had grand ambitions, as Moses would have known the Babylonians did have. Different men might well jockey for position as leader; and one might well get the notion of using different words for things, as signs of allegiance and as a secret code indecipherable to enemies. Thus ambition would lead to speaking in competing codes; as a result, trust would evaporate and work would stop. The scattering would come when the people began to view each other as not just rivals, but as dangerous enemies. And that is just what we might expect of Noah, who was still on hand if all of living humanity were united, and his more decent offspring. They certainly would not trust the likes of Ham, Canaan, and especially Nimrod. Moreover, Noah might tell the people that God intended that they split up and go their separate ways. But, of course, this is all purely speculative. Again, we simply do not know.

Again:
Would this forum be good for what might end up being 20-40 Q&As of that sort per week? Or can anyone out there recommend a good one where I could get some good feedback and mutual enlightenment?

BibleStu

Jul 8, 2021
Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bump
I've asked this question in other places on the Internet and so far nobody has offered much of help. Reddit doesn't seem to have any suitable place for this.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not a trained Bible scholar, but I have started writing a Bible commentary of my own.

Generally, people want to read commentary from a foremost expert, not from one who admits lacking any credentials.

Maybe your the one to write a layman’s guide the Scripture? The trick is balancing in-depth analysis with readability and not being intimidating.

I wish you well.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope we can help!

I distrust most bible commentaries because they are too married to their own "theology".

Id love to see a bible commentary that didn't try to evade obvious biblical truths.

Reactions: BibleStu

BibleStu

Jul 8, 2021
Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks to you both, Wrangler and Wynona! Maybe I should clarify that I'm not trying to create a resource for others, although if others find it useful, that would be nice. I definitely wouldn't expect it. I'm trying to wrestle with hard questions, and writing out answers is the best way to do that, I think.

I thought perhaps others might like to discuss the correct answers, and maybe critique mine. Would this forum be open to that? Again, I'm aiming (if I can) to write ~20-40 answers (one paragraph long, often substantive) per week. Am I going to make a nuisance of myself here?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks to you both, Wrangler and Wynona! Maybe I should clarify that I'm not trying to create a resource for others, although if others find it useful, that would be nice. I definitely wouldn't expect it. I'm trying to wrestle with hard questions, and writing out answers is the best way to do that, I think.

I thought perhaps others might like to discuss the correct answers, and maybe critique mine. Would this forum be open to that? Again, I'm aiming (if I can) to write ~20-40 answers (one paragraph long, often substantive) per week. Am I going to make a nuisance of myself here?

I don't see a problem with that. Ill try and read the posts.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Commentary is mostly what you see here, people commenting on Bible topics, not necessarily to construct a book though. People that could'nt make it as preachers, teachers, writers, come here and contribute their two cents - it gives them a sense of purpose ... or just adds to the confusion since we have a wide variety of schools of thought.

We've all had doubts and questions about scripture and found resolve along the way and I suppose sometimes here. You'll get answers. Just as long as you know there are also tares among the wheat, trolls that come along just to twist and distort and wreck havoc.
So welcome and give it a go. People do learn sometimes, even if they desperately cling to their point of view. Later on, you'll see them advancing a point to someone else that you were trying to make to them.

I like your question, why did God rest? He wanted us to spend time with Him... if He didn't rest, we wouldnt. Uninterupted fellowship.
I think a Q&A format is good. Short answers are better, unfortunately I write essays - I can't help myself.

Reactions: BibleStu

BibleStu

Jul 8, 2021
Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, Ron, I appreciate it. My Gen 1 Q&A got plenty of feedback, but 2 & 3 are both uncommented so far.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello!

I am not a trained Bible scholar, but I have started writing a Bible commentary of my own. I'm looking for a community online that would be open to me posting installments of this commentary, in order to get well-informed, sensible, sympathetic, but also incisive feedback. I say "conservative" because I am not at all interested in (frankly I'm positively bored) what is called "Bible criticism," but I am strongly interested in clarifying unclear texts and solving difficult problems, coming to grips with them in a way that is respectful to the text. I'm not assuming this is that place, but maybe it is. Any pointers to a forum well suited for this sort of thing?

In case it matters to someone, the commentary is in Q&A format, and here are some samples:

God, being the source of all, is surely not in need of rest; being limitless, it seems he could do anything without effort. Why, then, does the text say in Gen. 2:2 that he “rested”?

Indeed, it is very probably not because he needed a rest. Probably, the traditional explanation is correct: he was demonstrating to mankind what man should do: observe the sabbath, the weekly day off. The following sentence underscores this. The text anthropomorphizes God in this way, in a few different places, e.g., when it says “repents” and is “grieved” that he made man, on Gen. 6:6. There are also physical anthropomorphisms; perhaps indeed God has no literal “face,” despite being said to have one (e.g., Lev. 20:6).

The details of the offerings at Gen. 4:3-4, and other details from the chapter, greatly resemble what is required under the Mosaic law. What are we to make of this?

Without giving a long list, it is worth observing that sacrifices were meant to be offered with faith and contrition; that “the fat” of the sacrifice was offered; that “first fruits” were offered; that Israelites were required by law to care for their brothers; that murder was severely punished; that blood revenge was prevented through the practices of sanctuary cities; etc. All these details seem to point up the fact that God used earlier events in Genesis as a kind of template on which the Mosaic law was based. It certainly seems as if the details would be viewed that way by students of the Mosaic law glancing back at Genesis. It is also possible that the author of Genesis, also having authored Deuteronomy, would expect the business about the city Cain escaped to (at Gen. 4:17) to be read alongside the “sanctuary city” rules of Deut. 19. Indeed, even the very word, or קוּם or qum, translated “rose up,” can also be found at Deut. 19:11: “But if any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die… .” One must, of course, bear in mind that the author of Genesis was aware of God’s law, even it had not be handed down yet in the narrative. This does not, of course, mean that the antediluvian patriarchs were aware of or lived under the law—certainly not in detail.

How did God accomplish the scattering abroad from Babel (Gen 11:8-9)?

At least part of the answer is that God confused the language of the inhabitants of Babel. But that just raises the question how he did that, too. How he accomplished these ends, we are not specifically told and there is no way to know for sure. But we should bear in mind that God often accomplishes things through unwitting human agents. It seems to me that, if this was the first city and tower of the post-Flood world, and if they told themselves they would make a name for themselves and reach to heaven, they had grand ambitions, as Moses would have known the Babylonians did have. Different men might well jockey for position as leader; and one might well get the notion of using different words for things, as signs of allegiance and as a secret code indecipherable to enemies. Thus ambition would lead to speaking in competing codes; as a result, trust would evaporate and work would stop. The scattering would come when the people began to view each other as not just rivals, but as dangerous enemies. And that is just what we might expect of Noah, who was still on hand if all of living humanity were united, and his more decent offspring. They certainly would not trust the likes of Ham, Canaan, and especially Nimrod. Moreover, Noah might tell the people that God intended that they split up and go their separate ways. But, of course, this is all purely speculative. Again, we simply do not know.

Again:
Would this forum be good for what might end up being 20-40 Q&As of that sort per week? Or can anyone out there recommend a good one where I could get some good feedback and mutual enlightenment?

You might find this interesting sir, I fully agree that God did not need a rest The Bible indicated that He was through with His creation. Were you aware that we are still in that Sabbath day (7th day) today? It has not ended.

BibleStu

Jul 8, 2021
Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You might find this interesting sir, I fully agree that God did not need a rest The Bible indicated that He was through with His creation. Were you aware that we are still in that Sabbath day (7th day) today? It has not ended.

I’ve heard that said. I’m not sure what difference it makes, whether the seventh day has ended or whether it is continuing, or how people who say this argue for it. Well, I do know that those who argue for this say that the day-ending formula isn’t recited after the seventh day, which seems like a fair point. But I don’t see that it clinches the case. Still speculative.

Maybe worth adding a question about though!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve heard that said. I’m not sure what difference it makes, whether the seventh day has ended or whether it is continuing, or how people who say this argue for it. Well, I do know that those who argue for this say that the day-ending formula isn’t recited after the seventh day, which seems like a fair point. But I don’t see that it clinches the case. Still speculative.

Maybe worth adding a question about though!

There are many things in the Bible that people focus on that I think is insignificant, and of course much of it is unable to be proven, so like you said speculative. I tend to focus on things that are essential for salvation.

BibleStu

Jul 8, 2021
Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Knowing the whole Bible well is essential for salvation, I think—not just the parts of the Bible that are specifically about salvation.